Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

AnEdgelord posted:

That's funny, in WHFB and AoS Ruin is the ostensible domain of the fifth Chaos God the Great Horned Rat.

Makes sense, I've been thinking for a while that the 40k equivalent of Skaven is the Imperium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Is it still age of sgimar lore that archaon refused to acknowledge or receive blessings from the horned rat

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Crab Battle posted:

Makes sense, I've been thinking for a while that the 40k equivalent of Skaven is the Imperium.

Agreed 100%. And the 40k equivalent of the dwarves is the Mechanicus but apparently Games Workshop didn't get the memo on that one.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Is AoS archaeon still trying to murder the chaos gods because that was like the one interesting thing about his character

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Is AoS archaeon still trying to murder the chaos gods because that was like the one interesting thing about his character

Yes, so far he's accomplished this by annihilating every reality they've tried to toy with far too soon for them to properly feed on it, but the AoS reality is resisting long enough for the Chaos Gods to actually sink their claws into it and he isn't happy about it.

Edit: it is now my headcanon that the ascended form of the Dark King is the Horned Rat, gonna be a real surprise for Horus or Big E if they do end up becoming the Dark King

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 8, 2023

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Kylaer posted:

What makes you think this? The Dark King's aspect is stated over and over to be Ruin, never a mention of Tyranny.

Ruin is used in context to be “all of Chaos”, not ruin as a conceptual area or domain

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Almost through, but holy gently caress I did not expect the Star Child to make a cameo.

Also it's a bummer that they confirmed Ferris's head never made it back to Mars.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Grilled Beef posted:

Ruin is used in context to be “all of Chaos”, not ruin as a conceptual area or domain

Is that a consistent thing? It could be, but if so I didn't pick up on it. All the content in both volumes so far seems to paint Terra during the Siege as the apex of Ruin, in the same way that the Eldar worlds were the apex of Excess leading to the creation of Slaanesh. Right from Samus' opening passage at the start of volume 1, I understood it to be saying this is more than just the ruin of a planet, this is Ruin with a capital R, a new aspect of Chaos.

And this worked really well in my opinion because the Imperium of M41 could be viewed as an expression of the triumph of Ruin - thrashing back and forth with terrible violence but accomplishing little to nothing with it. It raised the stakes because it seemed plausible that the Emperor really could have ascended to become the Dark King of Chaos, and all the modern problems of 40K stem from that. Like, in nearly all of the novels that posit a big galaxy-affecting threat, you know nothing's going to come of it. You know that the barque of the demon king in Eisenhorn isn't going to be recovered, you know that Slyte in Ravenor isn't going to wreck the galaxy, etc etc. That's why generally the novels that focus on a smaller outcome, like Gaunts Ghosts being concerned mostly with the single Tanith regiment, are better in the sense that the reader doesn't know from the outset that nothing's going to happen.

The Dark King and the aspect of Ruin, though, could mesh seamlessly with all the rest of 40K, and I was thinking there was a chance the Emperor could actually end up going through with it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Two things:

1. In the exemplary battles pdf, the burning of ohmn-mat page 12, there are eight distinct aspects of Chaos that are listed and Daemons can manifest from:

-Encroaching Ruin (Presumably the Dark King)
-Heedless Slaughter (obviously Khorne)
-Formless Distortion (Obviously Tzeentch)
-Putrid Corruption (obviously Nurgle)
-Ravenous Dissolution (seemingly Malal of all things)
-Raptourous Sensation (Obviously Slaanesh)
-Malevolent Artifice (obviously Vashtorr)
-Infernal Tempest (unknown but something to do with Elemental power)

2. if the Imperium is actually a galaxy wide ritual to summon forth a new chaos god then that pretty thoroughly punctures the idea that the Imperium is in anyway better than the forces of Chaos, in fact it makes the Imperium simply another expression of them

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 8, 2023

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Kylaer posted:

Is that a consistent thing? It could be, but if so I didn't pick up on it.
Yes, in the discussions about the Dark King and ruin, it is always capitalized. Similarly it is always capitalized when discussing Chaos as “forces of Ruin” and “Ruinous Powers”, which marks it as distinct from use of the word to describe anything else. It’s capitalized as a title, just as The Dark King is.

It will talk about how the palace or armor or someone’s face is “ruined”, lower case, but uses the capital R “Ruin” for talking about Chaos

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Where is the information about the dark coil collection having rarity based on signature?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OPAONI posted:

Agreed 100%. And the 40k equivalent of the dwarves is the Mechanicus but apparently Games Workshop didn't get the memo on that one.

No, carrying on from the Imperium is Skaven analogy, the Mechanicus is Clan Skryre. Maybe also Clan Moulder.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Grilled Beef posted:

Yes, in the discussions about the Dark King and ruin, it is always capitalized. Similarly it is always capitalized when discussing Chaos as “forces of Ruin” and “Ruinous Powers”, which marks it as distinct from use of the word to describe anything else. It’s capitalized as a title, just as The Dark King is.

It will talk about how the palace or armor or someone’s face is “ruined”, lower case, but uses the capital R “Ruin” for talking about Chaos

Maybe I've misinterpreted it, I don't know, but I took it to mean that Ruin was becoming a new defined aspect of Chaos and the Dark King is joining the Pantheon, becoming to Ruin what Tzeench is to Change or Slaanesh is to Excess. I didn't read it as being that the Dark King was going to rule over the existing Chaos Gods, it would be really odd for the Pantheon to try and uplift a new power above all of them.

I'm sure Volume III will clear everything up and eliminate confusion
:buddy:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Azubah posted:

Where is the information about the dark coil collection having rarity based on signature?

I posted it a page or two back

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I mean from what Malcador was seeing from on the golden throne it sounds like the ascension of the 5th chaos god completely wipes out the material universe because ascending doesn't change the emperor's course of destroying chaos, and chaos is the warp is the immaterial universe, and the material is inextricably twinned with the immaterial, discordia/concordia and so on.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Finished volume 2

Sure was a hell of a book, and while I have to sort my thoughts on a couple of things, here are a couple of comments:

- I think I got caught up in all the theory crafting about BL retconning everything we thought we knew about the big end and, incidentally, the Big E with the Dark King arc, so when Emps decided to put down the weightgain 4000 pitcher and everything fell into place, I was almost... disappointed tbh.

- BUT THEN (and maybe I'm going off the deep end here) it occurred to me that while Horus thought his cunning trap for Big E worked out perfectly, I feel like Emps kinda had the Uno-reverse card primed and ready to go with his buddy Oll to keep him honest, and as much as that moment kinda throttled my reading fervor, it would seem very emperor-like to set in motion the events that would drive away your best buddy aeons ago and put him on a path of seemingly self-imposed Exile and isolation, knowing the skeins of fate would bring him back just in time to stop Emps from hitting the kool-aid too hard.
So in retrospect, I rebounded back from being mildly-miffed pretty quickly and I'm cool with it, I don't care how dumb the theory is

- the warp madness and fusing of the imperial palace, vengeful spirit, inevitable city owned so very much

- time coming to a stop was something we kinda saw coming in the last volume, but the way Abnett used it to kick off this book got me hooked so hard

- Basilio Fo and his snide bullshittery still owns

- I'm a bit confused by a couple of interpretations Re the king in yellow over the last 100 posts or so, because after Dorn dug himself free from the rubble of the red wall, he ended up in the ruins of the inevitable city...which had become "a city of dust", and after digging up actae, he immediately says "welp, time to rebuild poo poo", did that not throw anyone else off?

- on a related note: did I miss something in the last volume about the inevitable city? Was it mentioned before or did it just come out if nowhere and anyone who didn't read the bequin books doesn't have a clue what it might mean in the future?

- where the gently caress did the "Excertus" term suddenly come from, is that a new BL brand that they needed to have baked into the story? I honestly can't recall having read that term before

- can someone explain the "star child cameo" comments, because that one's entirely lost upon me

- also: book owns, hoovered it up in no time compared to my rather casual style of just reading for 30-45 mins before going to sleep

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 8, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

- can someone explain the "star child cameo" comments, because that one's entirely lost upon me

That's a storied bit of lore from one of the Realm of Chaos books.

Essentially, a cabal of Imperial scholars believe that part of the Emperor's soul is out there in the universe waiting to be reborn as the Star Child. As far as I remember, GW disavowed the whole thing in an Inquisition codex, and has come out and explicitly said that it's non-canon, which makes its appearance such a great surprise.

E:
Here's the original fluff in a lovely photo, nws tags should spoiler it and I'll edit this out if a 30 years oop rulebook is files.

moths fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 8, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is one of Abnetts best ever sentences

Horus sighs and walks away.

It’s so perfect in context

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

moths posted:

That's a storied bit of lore from one of the Realm of Chaos books.

Essentially, a cabal of Imperial scholars believe that part of the Emperor's soul is out there in the universe waiting to be reborn as the Star Child. As far as I remember, GW disavowed the whole thing in an Inquisition codex, and has come out and explicitly said that it's non-canon, which makes its appearance such a great surprise.

E:
Here's the original fluff in a lovely photo, nws tags should spoiler it and I'll edit this out if a 30 years oop rulebook is files.

Actually the star child has been one of the mcguffins in the dawn of fire series and was actually born on a beach on a paradise planet at the end of one of the recent books so it has been back in the lore for a little bit and Abnett was basically giving backstory on that I guess as to it's origins.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Halfway through the book because of med school finals. Impressions so far!

1- For someone who never really cared for the Perpetual angle through the whole series, the little gang of everliving misfits is finally clicking for me. That said, is there any book the explains what the hell happened to make Actae the way she is? She seems to have precisely zero left of Cyrene in her.

2- So nice to see Kelbor-Hal show up, even as an aside. Always wanted a bit more focus on the Horus-aligned Mechanicum.

3- Did Abnett make a bet with his editor over how many cliffhanger fakeouts he could fit in a book? Every third chapter seems to end with "[Loyalist] turned around to see a traitor company descending upon them/Enemy titans opening fire point-blank/A Khorne Tarrasque rolling a natural 20 on his bite attack", and every single time it amounts to nothing as something happens to save them in the nick of time. It's
like the characters from the originals books all touches a Starman from Super Mario and are invincible at this point. In one occasion, an entire -company- of Sons of Horus leisurely marches up to kill Keeler, and somehow they miss 8 feet of power-armored Sigismund tromping around in rattling chains and a TANK DIVISION just rolling over from offscreen to turn them into chunky salsa.

4- So much jobbing going on. World Eaters might as well be kobolds at this point for all the threat they pose. It's already been established that anyone alive after all this hell is a badass; you don't need to keep hammering the point by making whatever incorruptible pure Astartes is in POV pulp 7 traitors without breaking a sweat.

5- Padding? I thought the Delphic Battlement was lost two books ago, when they closed the Eternity Gate. But all of a suddenly it's still contested and 20 loyal companies are still holding it? Guess he had to give some characters stuff to do that wasn't just sitting inside the inner Sanctum waiting to see what happened aboard the Vengeful Spirit, but it still feel a bit pointless.

6- poo poo or get off the pot, Samus. Both you and Loken should have ended in the first 3 books!

7- Dorn Well-Akshually'ing the Blood god over his own soul went from corny (ha!) to actually great.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
EATD2 stuff

I'm a bit disapointed if this is all there is to the Dark King stuff. After volume 1 I thought whoever would win the duel between Emps and Horus would ascend to become The Dark King, leaving Chaos with a Win/Win situation, and some interesting implications about why the Emperor has been stuck on the throne the last 10000 years. Didn't really expect this to be just a simple question of the Emperor deciding if he wants to become the Dark King or not.

Also didn't Samus mention something about there being three candidates for the Dark King mantle? I wonder who the third one is supposed to be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

800+ pages to go

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Njashi9 posted:

EATD2 stuff

I'm a bit disapointed if this is all there is to the Dark King stuff. After volume 1 I thought whoever would win the duel between Emps and Horus would ascend to become The Dark King, leaving Chaos with a Win/Win situation, and some interesting implications about why the Emperor has been stuck on the throne the last 10000 years. Didn't really expect this to be just a simple question of the Emperor deciding if he wants to become the Dark King or not.

Also didn't Samus mention something about there being three candidates for the Dark King mantle? I wonder who the third one is supposed to be.

Theres a way to read it as the third candidate possibly being Sanguinius.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Njashi9 posted:

EATD2 stuff

I think it's possible that something happens in the final fight that obliges the emperor to power back up and set him back on course for ascension or it even happening against his will as blowback from the obliteration of horus fully powered by chaos. I think it's possible that internment on the golden throne is specifically to prevent him from ascending as the dark king and not just to keep him alive.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I think that Emps doesnt get interred, its been Macalador all this time. He becomes incredibly more resistant and cognicent about poo poo once they start feeding him psykers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hmm

Smurf man does talk to him in 40k tho

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

D-Pad posted:

I think it's possible that something happens in the final fight that obliges the emperor to power back up and set him back on course for ascension or it even happening against his will as blowback from the obliteration of horus fully powered by chaos. I think it's possible that internment on the golden throne is specifically to prevent him from ascending as the dark king and not just to keep him alive.

The throne has always been described as something suspending the Emperor on the brink of death -- always dying, but never quite getting there, pulled back from the brink a thousand times a day.

I think he sent Ollanius away so that he would be able to come back when he needs him to, and stab him again to deal a mortal wound. Who else can he trust to do it just right?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Finally got around to reading Unremembered Empire and… Did Abnett get a ghost writer for this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unremembered Author.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
IIRC Abnett was handed a ton of loose plot threads and told to tidy them up. He did the best he could with the task at hand I think.

If Guy Haley had been on the roster back then they absolutely would have given it to him and the result would...have been a book, for sure.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Maybe a dumb question, but who was the woman's voice that helped defeat Samus? Was that Mersadie or a hook for later?

D-Pad posted:

Actually the [spoiler]

Well now that's going on my list, thanks!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

moths posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but who was the woman's voice that helped defeat Samus? Was that Mersadie or a hook for later?

Was it not Maeur in the library reading from the book?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That makes way more sense, thank you.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, I don't think the Dark King has been resolved yet.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

moths posted:

Well now that's going on my list, thanks!

Just be aware that all of them but the most recent are pretty bad. The first one was meh but did have one cool side plot. Wolftime is probably the worst 40k book I've ever read. The latest one was pretty good and is basically a sequel to Void King so I'd suggest you read that book before you read the latest DoF. The subject in question isn't that huge a part of the series yet, it's kind of a background motivation that occasionally gets mentioned but is definitely going to become a bigger plot point in the series in the books ahead it seems.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ah, well crap. Maybe the audio books then - I've been burning out on podcasts and I do a lot of driving.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

moths posted:

Ah, well crap. Maybe the audio books then - I've been burning out on podcasts and I do a lot of driving.

I'm hoping now that the good authors are done with the siege they'll be writing the next few DoF books so the quality gets better.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One of my favorite parts is Ahriman chilling in the library and letting us in on the plot . Also when they say his armor is scaring them and he takes it off and it’s worse lol

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

euphronius posted:

One of my favorite parts is Ahriman chilling in the library and letting us in on the plot . Also when they say his armor is scaring them and he takes it off and it’s worse lol

Yeah, his "this is surely less terrifying, right?" and being even scarier was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, his "this is surely less terrifying, right?" and being even scarier was great.

https://i.imgur.com/JhQcMUc.mp4