Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I have no doubt that IDF is eliminating a lot of Hamas fighters, including people who were at the time in some kind of leadership situation. It reminds me also of Iraq; many claims of people being killed may be lies or may overstate the importance of that death to the fighting force.

More significantly, to the extent I understand tactics (I am not Frosted Flake, no CATO wife here), it seems to me that militant groups who have designed themselves ground up to engage in sustained asymmetrical warfare, might be a lot quicker to adapt to the loss of a particular person, than a regular army with a stronger central command structure? If the IDF loses one of the commanders making strategic decisions about how to proceed best with their genocide, then they have to get someone else in that role with the context to understand the current situation.

Hezbollah has a double command structure, if I remember correctly. Two people fill the same role so if one of them gets killed the organization doesn't lose functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Newest War Nerd podcast has a good interview (though he does repeat himself a bit). He made an interesting point that part of what setup the IDF to be clowned on Oct 7 was them being cheap in the goofy way of neoliberal militaries. A large motivating factor of the high tech wall around Gaza and the layers of electronic surveillance is to reduce the human cost for the IDF. This wasn't so they could shift people to the Lebanon border or the West Bank, but just the general neoliberal desire to replace labor with gadgets. Very reminiscent of the US who will also spend gobs of money to develop some high tech system that requires expensive contractors to handle in the name of eliminating a few jobs regular rear end soldiers might do. The IDF got rid of boring old human redundancies for networked options that oopsie Hamas just disabled as their attack kicked off.

There was also hubris of course like the IDF's celebrated cyber brain geniuses Unit 8200 (who they boast have had future CEOs and silicon valley wiz kids pass through) who ignored listening to radios to focus on hot shot MBA ideas about cheaper genocides and inexplicably located their HQ near Gaza. So on Oct 7 when Hamas ran riot over the IDF they probably killed or captured some of these cyber warriors but also captured as much intel as they could haul away. He said Hamas likely has an incredible trove of information on collaborators, IDF spying methods, etc that they can use for years.

It seems like the IDF can't go back to their comfortable knee cap shooting status quo however the current war ends. Their expensive wall is broken, lots of their tech toys are destroyed or stolen, and their secrets are exposed. No wonder they are murderously flailing. The guy interviewed said he thought that was Hamas' main objective: shake up the status quo. Status quo meant slow death and all the peaceful options they had tried over the years failed to change that. The extensive military operation was meant to flip the table and it definitely achieved that likely wildly beyond what they expected.

Lol from the nytimes https://archive.fo/DEY3c

quote:

Their judgment that night might have been different had they been listening to traffic on the hand-held radios of Hamas militants. But Unit 8200, Israel’s signals intelligence agency, had stopped eavesdropping on those networks a year earlier because they saw it as a waste of effort.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I don't think this guy is real
https://twitter.com/BenSaloff31554/status/1721569171090129234
https://twitter.com/BenSaloff31554/status/1640915307790233600

he has like 10 tweets since he registered in march

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

kecske posted:

for all the Bertie Smalls of the world lol

fed asset application form

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

israel has killed the legendary hamas leader “Alpharius” dozens of times but he keeps showing up alive

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

lmao not sure what anyone was expecting to come of this

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Evangelicals frantically flipping through Revelations so they can Follow Along At Home and texting their Sunday School teacher memes about the rapture. Recent Google searches include "second temple" and "no nut November"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

Hamas may have learned such operational discipline from Hezbollah, which has long confused Israeli forces on the battlefield by dividing its fighters into smaller units of friends or relatives, according to Lebanese officials with ties to the group. If the fighters speak openly on cellphones to coordinate military operations, Lebanese officials with ties to the group said, part of their code is to speak in childhood memories — for example, asking to meet up in a field where they once played together.

Hamas claimed that 35 drones took part in the opening strike, including the Zawari, an explosive-laden drone.

“We started receiving messages that there was a raid on every reporting line,” testified one soldier, who was at the Gaza Division base on the day of the invasion, in a conversation with the “Hamakom Hachi Ham Bagehinom” (“The Hottest Place in Hell”) website.

“On every reporting line, swarms of terrorists were coming in,” the soldier added. “The forces did not have time to come and stop it. There were swarms of terrorists, something psychotic, and we were simply told that our only choice was to take our feet and flee for our lives.”

In a conversation with military investigators two weeks after the attack, soldiers who survived the assault testified that the Hamas training was so precise that they damaged a row of cameras and communication systems so that “all our screens turned off in almost the exact same second.” The result of all this was a near total blindness on the morning of the attack.

After the fighting had stopped, Israeli soldiers found hand-held radios on the dead bodies of some of the Hamas militants — the same radios that Israeli intelligence officials had decided a year ago were no longer worth monitoring.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

israel has killed the legendary hamas leader “Alpharius” dozens of times but he keeps showing up alive

The IDF 100% run IG armies with no troops and then pout when they can't hold objectives and lose.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they're doing the gimmick "pause" thing as a pr stunt israel has been non-stop bombing all of gaza including the supposed humanitarian corridors and facilitating ethnic cleansing

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8f-bdeb46190000

Big majority of U.S. Jews fear for their safety because of Israel-Hamas war, poll shows
Judy Maltz
6:03 PM

An overwhelming majority of Jewish-Americans are concerned about their personal safety and believe antisemitism is on the rise, according to a poll published on Thursday by the Jewish Federations of North America.

The poll, the first in-depth look at the effects of Israel’s war in Gaza on Jewish Americans, shows that nearly one-third of Jewish-Americans (29 percent) are aware of physical acts of violence committed against members of their respective communities since October 7.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

kecske posted:

for all the Bertie Smalls of the world lol

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biden says 'no possibility' of wholesale ceasefire in Gaza fighting
Ben Samuels
5:49 PM

U.S. President Joe Biden said there was "No possibility" of a wholesale ceasefire in Gaza in response to a question about the chances of such a move.

Israel has agreed to implement 4-hour pauses in northern Gaza each day, with an announcement about the pause coming 3 hours before it, according to U.S. National Security Council Spokesman John Kirby on Thursday.

When asked for an update on the hostages being held in Gaza, Biden said: "We're still optimistic."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
‎“Put the sword against the sword, and we are the men of Muhammad Deif.”
‎Some of the chants of the heroes in Balata camp, east of Nablus, a short while ago, after they repelled the occupation forces and forced them to withdraw.

https://x.com/turkishalhoub/status/1722645473427620251?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They think everybody in Hamas is a colonel because that's how the IDF is

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Israeli officials accuse journalists of complicity in October 7 massacres
Sam Sokol
5:39 PM

Following a report from Jerusalem-based media watchdog HonestReporting that identified CNN, Associated Press and Reuters contributors among those present during the October 7 massacres, Israeli officials accuse the journalists of complicity in the attacks.

“What were they doing there so early on what would ordinarily have been a quiet Saturday morning? Was it coordinated with Hamas?” asked the Israeli media watchdog.

“Journalists found to have known about the massacre, and still chose to stand as idle bystanders while children were slaughtered – are no different than terrorists and should be treated as such,” tweeted war cabinet member Benny Gantz.

National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir tweeted that “those who were in the massacre and took pictures” are terrorists “and for terrorists there is just one judgement.”

Likud lawmaker and former Israeli UN Ambassador Danny Danon was even more explicit, declaring that "Israel's internal security agency announced that they will eliminate all participants of the October 7 massacre. The ‘photojournalists' who took part in recording the assault will be added to that list."

“We are aware of a report by HonestReporting and accusations made against two freelance photographers who contributed to Reuters coverage of the October 7 attack,” Reuters said in a statement, in which it “categorically” denied that “it had prior knowledge of the attack or that we embedded journalists with Hamas on October 7.”

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
partial ceasefire announced

The White House: Israel agreed to temporary truces for 4 hours a day in northern Gaza, starting today

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1722641203831734618?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

israel is losing

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

partial ceasefire announced

The White House: Israel agreed to temporary truces for 4 hours a day in northern Gaza, starting today

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1722641203831734618?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

israel is losing

they havent actually stopped bombing or doing anything its a pr stunt

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
do you call people from Bangalore Bangalorians?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

fizziest posted:

Israeli officials accuse journalists of complicity in October 7 massacres
Sam Sokol
5:39 PM

Following a report from Jerusalem-based media watchdog HonestReporting that identified CNN, Associated Press and Reuters contributors among those present during the October 7 massacres, Israeli officials accuse the journalists of complicity in the attacks.

“What were they doing there so early on what would ordinarily have been a quiet Saturday morning? Was it coordinated with Hamas?” asked the Israeli media watchdog.

“Journalists found to have known about the massacre, and still chose to stand as idle bystanders while children were slaughtered – are no different than terrorists and should be treated as such,” tweeted war cabinet member Benny Gantz.

National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir tweeted that “those who were in the massacre and took pictures” are terrorists “and for terrorists there is just one judgement.”

Likud lawmaker and former Israeli UN Ambassador Danny Danon was even more explicit, declaring that "Israel's internal security agency announced that they will eliminate all participants of the October 7 massacre. The ‘photojournalists' who took part in recording the assault will be added to that list."

“We are aware of a report by HonestReporting and accusations made against two freelance photographers who contributed to Reuters coverage of the October 7 attack,” Reuters said in a statement, in which it “categorically” denied that “it had prior knowledge of the attack or that we embedded journalists with Hamas on October 7.”

"Surely just letting a basket case fascist state assassinate Arab journalists and their families in broad daylight will have no repercussions on me, a sensible western MSM journalist."

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Said the same about the possibility of his reelection

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the whole point of these "pauses" (in certain areas only) is for israel to re-arm and as a pathetic pr stunt

nevermind they keep bombing all of southern gaza

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
it’ll be interesting to see how much longer the “humanitarian pause” fiction lasts in the collective imagination of western policy makers now that it’s been revealed to be a useless hours long lie

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm not a Jesus person are Jewish people not supposed believe that?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Contrary to the American declaration...

Statement from Netanyahu's office: The fighting continues and there will be no ceasefire without the release of the hostages. #Israel allows “safe crossing corridors” from the north of the #Gaza Strip to the south.

these are the same corridors they bomb daily

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lol the childhood memories part

turns out the most effective form of military encryption is password recovery questions

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

HallelujahLee posted:

Contrary to the American declaration...

Statement from Netanyahu's office: The fighting continues and there will be no ceasefire without the release of the hostages. #Israel allows “safe crossing corridors” from the north of the #Gaza Strip to the south.

these are the same corridors they bomb daily

no ceasefire!!! only hostages

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fizziest posted:

Big majority of U.S. Jews fear for their safety because of Israel-Hamas war, poll shows
Judy Maltz
6:03 PM

An overwhelming majority of Jewish-Americans are concerned about their personal safety and believe antisemitism is on the rise, according to a poll published on Thursday by the Jewish Federations of North America.

The poll, the first in-depth look at the effects of Israel’s war in Gaza on Jewish Americans, shows that nearly one-third of Jewish-Americans (29 percent) are aware of physical acts of violence committed against members of their respective communities since October 7.

this really is embarrassing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

do you call people from Bangalore Bangalorians?

I believe it's with an 'e:' Bangalorean

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaced God posted:

I'm not a Jesus person are Jewish people not supposed believe that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_Judaism

Christianity began as a movement within Second Temple Judaism, but the two religions gradually diverged over the first few centuries of the Christian Era.

Today, differences of opinion vary between denominations in both religions, but the most important distinction is Christian acceptance and Jewish non-acceptance of Jesus as the Messiah prophesied in the Hebrew Bible and Jewish tradition.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

Wait am I indian

Hello, Senator Warren

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

mcmagic posted:

this really is embarrassing.

"You can't get mad at me if I'm crying" is the primary weapon in western discourse so I'm not surprised.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

my brain is hosed.. all I can see is 4 Dilberts

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

smoobles posted:

my brain is hosed.. all I can see is 4 Dilberts

Makes sense, as it turns out Dilbert is also fascist

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Hello, Senator Warren

well done

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation