Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How the heck didn't they have a 460?

Fuel efficiency?
(chuckling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!

Colostomy Bag posted:

How the heck didn't they have a 460?

Fuel efficiency?
(chuckling)

The Mark V's had a 460 until 1979, where the biggest engine available was a 6.6 liter 400 cube V-8. In 1980, Lincoln downsized the full-size cars into the Panther platform for, yes, fuel efficiency reasons.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Number_6 posted:

Those big Lincoln coupes are so wonderfully ostentatious. Front & rear overhang should be celebrated.

Is it easy to put a Coyote 5.0 in those? Or at least a fuel injected OHV 5.0 HO from a Mustang?

Powershift posted:

It's a panther platform car…

:hmmyes:

https://youtu.be/oVXhdqIihiY?si=MYfipNh0Loq0mZvd

:sweden:

:getin:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

1995 Jeep Cherokee XJ

$3,800 firm

1995 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4WD
4 litre HO straight 6 engine, 5 speed manual transmission, 251,624 km (mostly highway)
4 door with rear hatch. Stock rear tire carrier. Good AC. Hand crank windows.
4 WD Lo in first gear is crawl speed.
Great on fuel, good at highway speeds.
Original paint, except roof recently painted.
I purchased this vehicle in Aug, 2014 from owner who purchased it in British Columbia and mileage was 241,377.
It's never been winter driven since I've had it.
Lots of new parts.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking forward to my kid turning 16 and having to save up $12,000 for the second worst shitbox on Craigslist in about 15 years

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!

Dear. Sweet. Mother. Of. God. :kstare:

Was I reading the screen right? Was that monster putting out 600 ft/lbs of torque at IDLE?!?!?!?

If so, dear God.....

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
buy the xj always buy the xj

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hadlock posted:

Looking forward to my kid turning 16 and having to save up $12,000 for the second worst shitbox on Craigslist in about 15 years

But a car now and save it til then! That always works! I never get rid of cars after a year or less because my ADD kicked in and I have the attention span of a gnat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm the watchface glued to the dash

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

It's very practical

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

slidebite posted:

It's classy to have an analog clock on your dash

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I used 2 way tape

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/pleasant-hill-1968-triumph-gt6-mki/7676503343.html

'68 triumph gt6

Inline six, dual carb, new shocks, rebuilt carbs, new alt, clutch, fuel pump, battery, windshield wipers, horn, heater, seats

Basically ready to go

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's very practical

I just found a factory digital clock from a higher trim level in the wrecking yard and put it in my Sport (it's built into that panel at the same location). Took a little wiring, though, since they were different enough years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'd be totally lost without a clock on my dash.

But in the case of that Jeep, I'd probably find the cheapest DIN headunit that shows time (which is most or all of them). Probably get MP3 and bluetooth at the same time for $cheap$

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/97928243

1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet 104,779 miles $6,995

Carfax:
08/04/2014 97,777 miles Minneapolis, Minnesota Motor Vehicle Dept. Vehicle color noted as Lavender
04/13/2015 99,580 miles Damage Report TOTAL LOSS VEHICLE Vehicle declared a total loss by an insurance company Collision damage reported
03/03/2016 Minneapolis, Minnesota Motor Vehicle Dept. Registration issued or renewed Exempt from odometer reporting Vehicle color noted as Lavender
07/28/2016 101,555 Midas - Campbell, CA Maintenance inspection completed
10/22/2023 104,779 Davis, California Vehicle offered for sale

Rust belt VW with total loss collision. Also missing the trim piece on the drivers side rear quarter panel. Front seats have some splitting that would need some patching but otherwise in serviceable shape. Definitely look like seats with 100k of wear on them.

Checks all the wifey boxes though: seats 4, automatic. Quasi-practical. Plus it's cheap enough that gas costs would be cheaper than buying an electric car. At asking price of $7,000 it's cheap enough you can either walk away from it, or dump money in to it for a long, long time. Top looks like it was replaced in the last decade. Already registered in CA. Was repainted red at some point after 2016. This would take the kiddo 1.5 miles to daycare and twice a month do a ~50 mile round trip to the city. VW 1.8L should be marginally ok to find parts for

My guess is that in 2015 a 1990 vw would have been a total write off in almost any situation and it just needed a new fender or something? Would need a close inspection to see what's going on of course.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 6, 2023

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hadlock posted:

Carfax:
08/04/2014 97,777 miles Minneapolis, Minnesota Motor Vehicle Dept. Vehicle color noted as Lavender
04/13/2015 99,580 miles Damage Report TOTAL LOSS VEHICLE Vehicle declared a total loss by an insurance company Collision damage reported
03/03/2016 Minneapolis, Minnesota Motor Vehicle Dept. Registration issued or renewed Exempt from odometer reporting Vehicle color noted as Lavender

Rust belt VW with total loss collision. Also missing the trim piece on the drivers side rear quarter panel. Front seats have some splitting that would need some patching but otherwise in serviceable shape. Definitely look like seats with 100k of wear on them.

Checks all the wifey boxes though: seats 4, automatic. Quasi-practical. Plus it's cheap enough that gas costs would be cheaper than buying an electric car. At asking price of $7,000 it's cheap enough you can either walk away from it, or dump money in to it for a long, long time. Top looks like it was replaced in the last decade. Already registered in CA. Was repainted red at some point after 2016. This would take the kiddo 1.5 miles to daycare and twice a month do a ~50 mile round trip to the city. VW 1.8L should be marginally ok to find parts for

My guess is that in 2015 a 1990 vw would have been a total write off in almost any situation and it just needed a new fender or something? Would need a close inspection to see what's going on of course.

Beyond the questionable salvage/paint, it’s not an automatic if that’s what you’re looking for. Close-up of the interior shows a 5-speed stick, and the description says it’s manual as well.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Carfax:

I’ve got a rust belt VW to sell you

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

This would take the kiddo 1.5 miles to daycare and twice a month do a ~50 mile round trip to the city. VW 1.8L should be marginally ok to find parts for

If it makes you happy, go for it. $7,000 for a MK1 VW is show car money to me, for the condition it's in I'd feel bad for paying half that.

It'll be relatively easy to work on, and you *will* be working on it yourself as constantly taking it to the mechanic for things like a fuel pump going out, heater core leaking, door handle being finicky, will get pretty old. Plan on putting another 7 grand into it over the next 3-5 years if you're paying someone else to maintain it. Again, if it makes you happy, it'll be a happy car for you, just know what you're getting into.

Don't let the manual transmission scare you away - you don't find very many of these still running an automatic for good reason. IMO manual transmissions are for drivers, and this is the type of car for someone who enjoys driving.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Good news, everyone!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No low ballers. I know what I've got

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I have questions. Also, I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook Marketplace... the product itself is awful and painful but holy poo poo there is so much fascinating poo poo that it shoves into my face I can't look away

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Silly hillybilly fish crash dummy ababaamam

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 8, 2023

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Hadlock posted:

No low ballers. I know what I've got

I genuinely thought the ad was a joke until I looked it up and saw that it was a real car and they're actually supposed to look like that

It's practically a PlaySkool Model A

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
that thing would absolutely murderize you with a hayabusa motor in it but you would be welcomed into valhalla with open arms :gibs:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's basically a street legal go kart with doors. Engines varied but it was like, 400cc 7-9hp engines. Harbor Freight predator swaps aren't totally uncommon apparently. It is a rear-rear configuration if that wasn't totally obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFY6vnVdpFk

Eventually Harbor Freight is going to realize there's a market for pull start 1000cc turbo carbureted lawnmower engines and all these YouTubers will finally get to upgrade their hotrodded go karts again

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 8, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Go-karts have better everything. That thing is like Barbie Jeep in everything but the name. Easier to just build a different car if you want to do anything a golf cart can't.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Steve French posted:

I have questions. Also, I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook Marketplace... the product itself is awful and painful but holy poo poo there is so much fascinating poo poo that it shoves into my face I can't look away

What I really dislike is he seller's inability to get the entire side profile in one photo.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Going to check this out on Monday

Have always loved these and they’re not exactly thick on the ground. Don’t need another car (story of my life) but I want to see if I like them in practicality as much as in theory. Clean title, low miles, looks super clean. Anyone have any experience with them?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Have always loved these and they’re not exactly thick on the ground. Don’t need another car (story of my life) but I want to see if I like them in practicality as much as in theory. Clean title, low miles, looks super clean. Anyone have any experience with them?

Isn't this the car that Mazda essentially put out an APB looking for one for some sort of show or history thing or something? It's that memory-holed

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The S trim has the Miller cycle V6, and more importantly, oscillating air vents.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Hell yes. 2.3L V6 with a supercharger? Sweet. Those tiny V6es are really neat and it's a drat shame we don't have anything like them anymore.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the supercharger is really neat too, it's long and skinny, would be cool to see it reused on an inline 6 or 8 speedster

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The S trim has the Miller cycle V6, and more importantly, oscillating air vents.

Had those in my 626 as well, it slapped

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Had those in my 626 as well, it slapped

Same.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Really wish people would take better pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1475060303284791/

quote:

Around the 90s I believe. Runs drive ready to go diesel. 4x4 6cyl turbo 1 ton front and rear end came out of a ford brand new 16.5 America racing wheels 35in.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't need better pictures to have a crystal clear idea of what the rest of it looks like.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/d/phoenix-datsun-280z-cummins-motor/7682125886.html

280z's have a straight 6. This all checks out and is completely normal.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
what a strange idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Seller's Description posted:

No returns Second Gen Prius Catalytic Converter Necklace. Condition is "New". This is a gag gift/awesome piece of work and can’t be returned! Necklace styles may vary. great gift for those go getters in your life . Share a laugh with a friend Over a fun all nighter while looking cooler than anyone on the block .

:captainpop: