Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

landgrabber posted:

jazz student struggling to cope w punk. you love to see it

jazz is DEAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

try the inversion: a C5/G like: 335XXX

or try an inverted triad on the first three strings: 332XXX gives you a C/G.

it's really just a game of inverting and implying stuff on the lower strings. the stuff you learn in jazz guitar, about not using muddy voicings? forget about that. you want muddy, low voicings on the lowest strings so it fuckin hits the distortion pedal

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the rat is the worst thing to ever happen to me !!!

landgrabber posted:

try the inversion: a C5/G like: 335XXX

or try an inverted triad on the first three strings: 332XXX gives you a C/G.

now this i like . more please. so i dont have to think them up on my own which makes me revert to my normal style

edit: you see what i need to know is what strings to mute for this style, its like working backwards lol, already know all the chords but i cant figure out how to create inversions that are outside my mindset and muscle memory built from a different genre

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 8, 2023

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ethanol posted:

i know what a powerchord and a half step is ive been to jazz school lol i want the cool rock chord positions i havent thought of yet for when you do that heavy distorted modernish strumming like greenday or wahtever because i seem particularly bad at that style. don't tell me they are A D G or whatever i want the actual postions. im talking about specifically through a rat or otherwise heavy distorted chords.

probably not actually greenday though because im pretty sure they just played barre chords

if its all just normal open or barre chords then maybe i just dont play rhythm right with my right hand when i try to do that sound

Sorry, I didn't know what your experience level is.

I don't play a lot of Radiohead, but this is the way I've always played The Bends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIp1ZTPC508

Foo Fighters I know use a lot of root/fifth/root and root/fifth/fifth, I actually found a cool article that goes a little into how they spice it up.

https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/9-guitar-tricks-you-can-learn-from-the-foo-fighters

Most of these 90s bands aren't using a lot of inversions though - just root/fifth powerchord on the low E and A strings.

Marty Music can help break down some of the differences beyond just "powerchords lol":
- Green Day (slam all the strings and mute 3-4 of them): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdP8h1yjOmA
- Metallica (palm muting/down picking): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9-udWfXLDQ

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ethanol posted:

the rat is the worst thing to ever happen to me !!!

now this i like . more please. so i dont have to think them up on my own which makes me revert to my normal style

edit: you see what i need to know is what strings to mute for this style, its like working backwards lol, already know all the chords but i cant figure out how to create inversions that are outside my mindset and muscle memory built from a different genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH8ByK0_i4Y

This dude's channel is all about grunge/alt rock/shoegaze guitar stuff. Lot of videos on gear but he does talk about theory to an extent. Just ignore the obviously SEO grabbing video titles and cover pages.

landgrabber posted:

next things i wanna get good at:

-two note pull-offs: like where you pull off with one finger, get a note, then pull that note off
-a stronger pinky finger
-better fretboard memorization -- it's pretty good, but a little spotty
-vertical alternate picking
-vertical right hand arpeggios
-left hand arpeggiating things that aren't just root, close position triads
-better improvised octave licks

I like this, next things I want to get good at:

-Also stronger pinky finger
-Learn more (like any) full songs instead of just riffs or parts of songs
-Learn more theory as it relates to the guitar because all of my theory knowledge is from college and high school 10+ years ago and what I remember doesn't always mean anything to me when I actually play
-Learn better strumming control and speed

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
rat in ur signal chain killin ur d00dz

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

MJP posted:

Yeah, a lot of those are me realizing that ADHD hits way harder than I thought it would. This is probably the first time in 20+ years where I've had to learn a skill that I have no basis or experience in, and probably the first time in my life where it was strictly voluntary and not tied to school or career. I swear, I have a life and I'm a chill human being, but drat, this sucks.

Be kind to myself? I'm better at this now than I was before, but it takes processing and conscious focus on doing so.

Don't compare? At my core, I'm good on this, but not perfect. I'm like 80% good on not comparing myself. I know I'm a newbie, that's OK.

Don't expect too fast? When someone gets frustrated explaining something to me, or if I'm bored doing it, this goes right the hell out the window. Few things trigger the "MJP, you suck at this and you should feel bad" instinct more than the audible/visible reaction of my teacher looking frustrated. From that point on I gotta rally the internal emotional troops but that takes time - hours or days of processing.

Don't worry? This is difficult as gently caress and again, massive amounts of processing and emotional troop reinforcements to make happen.

A real bottom line here is that if my teacher was more expressive on these points, I wouldn't be here. I guess I'm just sensitive to male resting bitch face (resting bastard face?) and still need to decouple the "I am an incomplete person if I don't get music/play an instrument" inertia from the "it's OK to be a learner, it's OK to gently caress up or be slow, it's OK to not have that perfection as you learn". In all fairness to myself that has happened a BUNCH since I started really getting better but goddamn, I'd pay double the rate I'm paying for an actual special ed qualified guitar teacher.

I'm not kidding, the going rate around here seems to be like $30-$40ish per 45 minute for just a gigging musician depending on skill and experience, I pay $55 per lesson at The Music School, I'll cough up $110 per 45 minute lesson if I can find that perfect match. At least then I know I'm getting someone who can help handle me. I spent that much for my very effective therapist, and lemme tell you that refining and figuring out better coping skills thanks to a neurodivergent-aware therapist were extremely instrumental to getting this far with guitar

As much as I want to take a few weeks off, there's still the old "if you don't keep at this you're going to give up or just not do it anymore" reflex along with all the "YOU MUST PRACTICE EVERY DAY, EVEN A LITTLE BIT" don't help. I'm trying to psyche myself up to at least pick up and play the songs I like just to stay somewhere near the fun part but even then it's still counterproductive.

I think I'm rapidly moving into the point where if I'm still wrestling with all this tomorrow when I think of maybe playing, or restarting lessons, I need to think more about a few sessions with the therapist rather than the guitar teacher.

I don't have advice for you because our circumstances are a bit different, but I just want to say that I read your post and I see you. It sucks to want something so bad and get head-stabbingly frustrated by the process in one way or another. Good luck friend.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

MJP posted:

Yeah, a lot of those are me realizing that ADHD hits way harder than I thought it would. This is probably the first time in 20+ years where I've had to learn a skill that I have no basis or experience in, and probably the first time in my life where it was strictly voluntary and not tied to school or career. I swear, I have a life and I'm a chill human being, but drat, this sucks.

Be kind to myself? I'm better at this now than I was before, but it takes processing and conscious focus on doing so.

Don't compare? At my core, I'm good on this, but not perfect. I'm like 80% good on not comparing myself. I know I'm a newbie, that's OK.

Don't expect too fast? When someone gets frustrated explaining something to me, or if I'm bored doing it, this goes right the hell out the window. Few things trigger the "MJP, you suck at this and you should feel bad" instinct more than the audible/visible reaction of my teacher looking frustrated. From that point on I gotta rally the internal emotional troops but that takes time - hours or days of processing.

Don't worry? This is difficult as gently caress and again, massive amounts of processing and emotional troop reinforcements to make happen.

A real bottom line here is that if my teacher was more expressive on these points, I wouldn't be here. I guess I'm just sensitive to male resting bitch face (resting bastard face?) and still need to decouple the "I am an incomplete person if I don't get music/play an instrument" inertia from the "it's OK to be a learner, it's OK to gently caress up or be slow, it's OK to not have that perfection as you learn". In all fairness to myself that has happened a BUNCH since I started really getting better but goddamn, I'd pay double the rate I'm paying for an actual special ed qualified guitar teacher.

I'm not kidding, the going rate around here seems to be like $30-$40ish per 45 minute for just a gigging musician depending on skill and experience, I pay $55 per lesson at The Music School, I'll cough up $110 per 45 minute lesson if I can find that perfect match. At least then I know I'm getting someone who can help handle me. I spent that much for my very effective therapist, and lemme tell you that refining and figuring out better coping skills thanks to a neurodivergent-aware therapist were extremely instrumental to getting this far with guitar

As much as I want to take a few weeks off, there's still the old "if you don't keep at this you're going to give up or just not do it anymore" reflex along with all the "YOU MUST PRACTICE EVERY DAY, EVEN A LITTLE BIT" don't help. I'm trying to psyche myself up to at least pick up and play the songs I like just to stay somewhere near the fun part but even then it's still counterproductive.

I think I'm rapidly moving into the point where if I'm still wrestling with all this tomorrow when I think of maybe playing, or restarting lessons, I need to think more about a few sessions with the therapist rather than the guitar teacher.

As much as I'm not an Oasis fan, the brother that is occasionally funny (Liam? Noel?) said something in an interview that really resonated with me - guitar isn't a video game, you will never ever, ever hit a point where there isn't something new to learn. And that's a mindset I find really tough, personally. But its an exciting, inspiring one too, to understand that even the guitarists I idolise are going "holy poo poo, how do I approach THAT?!" about something.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
a lot of power chord heavy songs will also have some sections where they just mute the in-between string and play root and octave

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you're not learning something new you are stagnating

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I feel seen, you just described my guitar playing for the last 20 years.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

As much as I'm not an Oasis fan, the brother that is occasionally funny (Liam? Noel?) said something in an interview that really resonated with me - guitar isn't a video game, you will never ever, ever hit a point where there isn't something new to learn. And that's a mindset I find really tough, personally. But its an exciting, inspiring one too, to understand that even the guitarists I idolise are going "holy poo poo, how do I approach THAT?!" about something.

Noel is the tolerable one.

Liam also says funny stuff, but in a concerning way.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Plank Walker posted:

a lot of power chord heavy songs will also have some sections where they just mute the in-between string and play root and octave

power chords doing rhythm, with a lead melody using those root and octave chords just on the A and G strings is the basis for so many popular skate and pop punk songs. i dunno what the real name is but we always just called them octaves lol.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh i cant believe i forgot to mention:

last night i went to guitar center and was surprised to find a G&L fallout. i picked it up knowing that bridge humbucker was sick.

and then i found something even rarer: a mesa fillmore 25 that was all plugged in and stuff.

loving insane tone.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

about learning:

i don't really teach myself things too consciously anymore because it drives me nuts feeling so pressured, but i do just look into learning/playing basically any song i like, and see what i can take from it. or songs i like a lot that i've known the rhythm parts to for years, i'm finally going back and learning the more lead oriented parts. i'll notice stuff about them and the structure.

it's all pretty lingual-- you pick up phrases and new words from hearing other people talk. i like learning songs because it's not learning 100% new poo poo-- it's learning the 20%, 30% that's different, and having fun along the way, and getting inspired by different music.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

landgrabber posted:

about learning:

i don't really teach myself things too consciously anymore because it drives me nuts feeling so pressured, but i do just look into learning/playing basically any song i like, and see what i can take from it. or songs i like a lot that i've known the rhythm parts to for years, i'm finally going back and learning the more lead oriented parts. i'll notice stuff about them and the structure.

it's all pretty lingual-- you pick up phrases and new words from hearing other people talk. i like learning songs because it's not learning 100% new poo poo-- it's learning the 20%, 30% that's different, and having fun along the way, and getting inspired by different music.

Yeah this is kind of how I've picked up things, other than when I played bass in jazz band in high school. That's really the only time I've used sheet music and even then some of the charts are just chord changes and you have to figure out your own line.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

thanks for your reply MJP -- i wonder if the vibes were so off because this is thru a music school instead of (for example) somebody's living room.

my experience taking lessons years ago was way more chill, because my guy did it out of his house on the side, and he didn't take this stuff so seriously. anyway, i hope you continue to treat yourself well and maybe develop techniques to stave off intrusive thoughts pertaining to bastard-face guitar teacher!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
whenever i talk about lessons, i always mention my jazz guitar teacher. lots of times what he said went over my head, but it was OK because i vibed with him. after enough repetition, i eventually came to understand the music theory stuff he was trying to explain to me.

but prior to that, i had a VERY bad experience with another guitar teacher. i got signed up for lessons with this guy as a birthday gift in 2008. some highlights:

• i showed up to his house at the agreed upon time, nobody answered the door. waited 20m and another student showed up and said "oh he must be drunk" and rang the doorbell 10 times.
  • the teacher opens the door and calls the other student "my sand n*****" :chloe:.
  • out of nowhere, he's profusely denying kicking someone down a flight of stairs while brandishing a gun a few days ago :confused:.
  • tells a story about showing up late to play a gig, then when someone was upset with him about it, using his guitar's headstock (fender) to bash a guy in the face.
  • gave me my lesson money back in exchange for driving him 5m to the gas station so he could buy whiskey. :shrug:

so, i didn't learn a single thing about guitar, but i did get to hear a lot about the "liberal democrats" :thumbsup:.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lmao

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Didn't even teach you "above the dick or below the dick".

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Lol. I used to ride my bike 3 miles through philly in the snow with my guitar on my back to go to my lessons, never experienced anything like that though

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
i had a piano teacher with tourettes as a kid. he would just burst out "gently caress" while i was playing. i was like 10. it sounds made up but it's true. I also remember he had super super dry hands and they were always super cracked. as a kid i was horrified by him and my journey to learn piano did not last... but now as an adult i just feel bad for him. i could handle the tourettes but the guy really really needed to see a dermatologist (this was way way beyond just using hand lotion). I wonder what he's up to these days.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
ive had a lot less problems with my strings feeling gross ever since I've been using lotion to moisturize my hands. I guess they just felt gross to me because of my gnarled dried out working mans hands.

i'm supposed to do guitar practice tonight and I do not like the pressure of having a teacher tbh, but if I deal with it long enough that it burns itself into my daily routine it'll probably be fine.

What's a good basic video editing software so when I record a video for my teacher, I can just splice together the different clips of each thing and put text over it for comments, etc?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
lol that dude rocks

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe I just fuckin sucked

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Welp, just bought a rat 2 for $50. Omw home to see how it sounds.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Helianthus Annuus posted:

whenever i talk about lessons, i always mention my jazz guitar teacher. lots of times what he said went over my head, but it was OK because i vibed with him. after enough repetition, i eventually came to understand the music theory stuff he was trying to explain to me.

but prior to that, i had a VERY bad experience with another guitar teacher. i got signed up for lessons with this guy as a birthday gift in 2008. some highlights:

Yup, that sounds like a guitarist alright.

My first and only teacher was a mostly-blind jazz player who taught from the living room of a tiny terraced house with a couple decades of nicotine coating every surface. Terry was the first player I saw who could chain smoke through an entire solo without breaking his flow. I think he could breathe through his ears.

He was patient but very demanding if you showed promise. If he thought you were getting a bit too cocky about your playing he'd invite you to sit in with his jazz trio, throw you a numbers chart, and then you were left to sink or swim as they blew through changes at 200bpm.

Luckily I was about as unpromising a student as he had on the books so was spared that treatment. We didn't keep in touch regarding my playing career, and frankly as a trad jazz man to the bone he'd probably be loving horrified anyway, but he passed last year and I was on tour so didn't get chance to go to the funeral or memorial session. I had a drink for him instead in respect of him trying to hammer some learning into my skull - a good teacher and a better player.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Btw I did end up putting in new pickups on the one I picked up. Vintera 60s Vintage modified. Both the neck and bridge are about 6.8k. they sound much clearer and brighter than the squier pickups

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Verman posted:

Welp, just bought a rat 2 for $50. Omw home to see how it sounds.

:black101:

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
my wife is on a business trip and so I moved the half stack out into the living room and I've been playing with the attenuator and I've learned a few things:

1) it's difficult as hell to use an attenuator as your main volume control when you're playing with somebody else. when I play by myself I crank the amp all the way up and the attenuator all the way down and that's fine, but when you try to match somebody else's volume it's a pain in the rear end to set everything up so you have the right volume and also the right amount of gain

2) the orange dark terror is perfect in every way at any volume or any setting. you can't make an orange dark terror sound bad no matter how hard you try

3) the Marshall jcm800 absolutely has a sweet spot no matter how you attenuate it. the sweet spot starts more or less when you can feel the floor vibrating and the air from the speakers moving on your calves; I was unable to find an upper limit where it stops sounding excellent

4) eat poo poo boss katana, orange crush 35rt is perfect in every way

that's all, I'll crawl back into my boomer energy zone and you all can go back to your dinosaur junior jazzmasters and your modeling amps and the important thing is that we're all still playing

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I played an Orange Super Crush through a Marshall 2x12 vertical slant cab at a guitar center yesterday. At low volumes it sounds fizzy. Not pushing V30s will make any sort of gain sound fizzy tho. Typical GC experience.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Stalizard posted:

boomer energy zone

mods plz

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stalizard posted:

3) the Marshall jcm800 absolutely has a sweet spot no matter how you attenuate it. the sweet spot starts more or less when you can feel the floor vibrating and the air from the speakers moving on your calves; I was unable to find an upper limit where it stops sounding excellent
Check out the home-owner.

quote:

you all can go back to your... modeling amps
Best gear move I have made. :colbert:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

my amp's a modeler and it's sounding good
I like to play at home, that's understood
it plays "Eruption", it plays "Pink Floyd"
and all the old guitarists get annoyed

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Thinking of getting a little portable amp - I have a bass amp in my office but looking for something that can fit under our couch (8" probably). Mostly just for hearing myself play on the couch and maybe lugging it to long family visits. Not expecting much bass but I might plug a bass guitar, synths and pedals into it from time to time if that makes much difference (bass thread suggests so but I'm not sure the details). Hopefully looking well under the $200 range, any recommendations?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Stalizard posted:

my wife is on a business trip and so I moved the half stack out into the living room and I've been playing with the attenuator and I've learned a few things:

1) it's difficult as hell to use an attenuator as your main volume control when you're playing with somebody else. when I play by myself I crank the amp all the way up and the attenuator all the way down and that's fine, but when you try to match somebody else's volume it's a pain in the rear end to set everything up so you have the right volume and also the right amount of gain

2) the orange dark terror is perfect in every way at any volume or any setting. you can't make an orange dark terror sound bad no matter how hard you try

4) eat poo poo boss katana, orange crush 35rt is perfect in every way

that's all, I'll crawl back into my boomer energy zone and you all can go back to your dinosaur junior jazzmasters and your modeling amps and the important thing is that we're all still playing

this mf spelled it "dinosaur junior"

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Verdict, the Rat is good. I wasn't sure what to expect considering my only experience with a rat was in line 6 software and their model was awful and very nasally. Its bizarre to me that the tone/filter control goes the opposite direction that I would expect but its fine. It was $50 and goes further than I like to push my browne protein OD so now I can have a boost (blue side), OD (green side) and distortion, RAT.

I first played it with my tele and it sounded good. Then I played it with my gretsch hollow and it sounded great and the feedback was impressive. Then I played my les paul and jesus christ. So much louder.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Lhet posted:

Thinking of getting a little portable amp - I have a bass amp in my office but looking for something that can fit under our couch (8" probably). Mostly just for hearing myself play on the couch and maybe lugging it to long family visits. Not expecting much bass but I might plug a bass guitar, synths and pedals into it from time to time if that makes much difference (bass thread suggests so but I'm not sure the details). Hopefully looking well under the $200 range, any recommendations?

I had an older Roland Cube 30 and that thing had plenty of balls down low, and they get down under $200 sometimes. Or maybe demo an older teal/silver/red stripe Peavey Rage or Peavey Studio or "micro bass" or Peavey Basic 50/60. Those things can be rough looking and still kick some rear end.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

duodenum posted:

I had an older Roland Cube 30 and that thing had plenty of balls down low, and they get down under $200 sometimes. Or maybe demo an older teal/silver/red stripe Peavey Rage or Peavey Studio or "micro bass" or Peavey Basic 50/60. Those things can be rough looking and still kick some rear end.

I'll take a look and remeasure, but I think those are all getting a bit big for my under-sofa needs.

e:Maybe might work on the side but then it's blasting into the couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Verman posted:

Verdict, the Rat is good. I wasn't sure what to expect considering my only experience with a rat was in line 6 software and their model was awful and very nasally. Its bizarre to me that the tone/filter control goes the opposite direction that I would expect but its fine. It was $50 and goes further than I like to push my browne protein OD so now I can have a boost (blue side), OD (green side) and distortion, RAT.

I first played it with my tele and it sounded good. Then I played it with my gretsch hollow and it sounded great and the feedback was impressive. Then I played my les paul and jesus christ. So much louder.

have you tried the helix rat model because that seems fine and it's what im using. but ive never used a real rat