Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

Charles Laughton.

Feels like cheating to include people who only directed one film.

I thought Michael Powell might've been a good one but it turns out he actually did direct a few films after Peeping Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

A Worrying Warlock posted:

It may be because it's Miyazaki's only film I saw in the cinema, but The Boy and the Heron is up there with Mononoke and Spirited Away.

For me, Tarantino is another director who keeps topping himself. Nicholas Refn, maybe?

Miyazaki is going to work until he dies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out that Bill Hader and Mindy Kahling aren't returning for Inside Out 2 because Disney really lowballed them. Poehler got $5 million with bonuses while they were offered flat $100k

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

AceOfFlames posted:

I remember some podcast raising a very interesting question: "Can you think of ANY directors whose last movie was also their best?" Ridley Scott is clearly not striving to join that club.
hope someone said pasolini

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah Miyazaki is cheating because all of his films are his last films

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1722717188493291944

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah Miyazaki is cheating because all of his films are his last films

Takahata didn't direct anything after Princess Kaguya, did he? Because that was a hell of a film to go out on.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Turns out that Bill Hader and Mindy Kahling aren't returning for Inside Out 2 because Disney really lowballed them. Poehler got $5 million with bonuses while they were offered flat $100k

Lol

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Just going to believe David Zaslav did this as a big FU to the union

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol this is how movies are written in Hollywood

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished Ad Astra last night and I liked it way better the second time, though the spaceship fight was just dumb… however I’d forgotten Pitt’s dispassionate, by-the-book “Proceed to oxygen.” line and appreciated it.

I guess an early version had the last scene end with Pitt waking up in bed with the wife he remarried as their daughter gets into bed with them. I think I would have liked this last scene more, given his newfound beliefs after his father’s death.

What I’m saying is, Ad Astra 2 when? :supaburn:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I guess an early version had the last scene end with Pitt waking up in bed with the wife he remarried as their daughter gets into bed with them. I think I would have liked this last scene more, given his newfound beliefs after his father’s death.

I worked on the movie and got to see an early cut, and Liv Tyler's character was added entirely in reshoots. There was definitely a scene like you described, but the identity of his family was vague, and was more symbolic of him moving past his trauma than reconnecting specifically with his ex-wife.

Also they cut the Mars Orgy scene, which probably works better for the tone of the movie but I would have loved to have seen reactions to it suddenly just happening.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I like that Bill Hader has shown himself to be a genuine freakish talent and won a ton of awards between the first film and now while Amy Pohler has...I don't know put up some shelves or something and Hader's the one they lowball.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

I like that Bill Hader has shown himself to be a genuine freakish talent and won a ton of awards between the first film and now while Amy Pohler has...I don't know put up some shelves or something and Hader's the one they lowball.

Poehler isn't exactly a nobody in the world of comedy, but, yeah, lowballing Hader like that is very, very strange.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

Poehler isn't exactly a nobody in the world of comedy, but, yeah, lowballing Hader like that is very, very strange.

Oh, Poehler was a very hot property at the time and remains a perfect piece of casting for the first film, but in the 8 years since she hasn't followed up the successes that put her in demand in 2015. She's not a nobody, and good on her for being a woman in comedy still getting work after 26, it's just weird that she's the one they seem to be bending over backwards to keep while letting Bill Hader and his 7,987 emmys walk out the door.

Kaling can get hosed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Robot Style posted:

I worked on the movie and got to see an early cut, and Liv Tyler's character was added entirely in reshoots. There was definitely a scene like you described, but the identity of his family was vague, and was more symbolic of him moving past his trauma than reconnecting specifically with his ex-wife.

Also they cut the Mars Orgy scene, which probably works better for the tone of the movie but I would have loved to have seen reactions to it suddenly just happening.

Why was there an orgy on Mars

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Alan Smithee posted:

the Peaches Bowser song but it's Ganon for Zelda

Booyah The Pain Away

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Professor Shark posted:

Also I’m rewatching Ad Astra and I forgot how beautiful it was. Not a great movie, but really gorgeous

When it got to rabid chimps in space I just gave up at how ridiculous and awful the entire thing is.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Professor Shark posted:

Why was there an orgy on Mars

What else are you gonna do there? I'm also in the Ad Astra fan club, though I do need to watch it a second time. One thing that did take me out was Natasha Lyonne suddenly appearing out of nowhere for one scene.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shageletic posted:

Lol this is how movies are written in Hollywood

Hey at least its writing based on real human emotions rather than a marvel flick that might as well been written by chatgpt

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh, Poehler was a very hot property at the time and remains a perfect piece of casting for the first film, but in the 8 years since she hasn't followed up the successes that put her in demand in 2015. She's not a nobody, and good on her for being a woman in comedy still getting work after 26, it's just weird that she's the one they seem to be bending over backwards to keep while letting Bill Hader and his 7,987 emmys walk out the door.

Yeah, I'd say that she's still popular enough a name that she'd be a big draw (also a super talented comedian any comedy would be lucky to get, but that seems pretty un-connected to pay in Hollywood). And yeah, if they feel she should get that much than good for her. Hadar though has just come off several huge hits so low balling him seems insane.

Snowman_McK posted:

Kaling can get hosed.
Also this.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They're throwing that kind of money at Poehler because she's the lead of the movie and would be hard to replace. Hader is great and obviously talented but his role is smaller than Poehler's and it's a broad and comedic enough performance you could probably get away with recasting it and having it be minimally distracting.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

the Peaches Bowser song but it's Ganon for Zelda Link

At least that is what of the ...fan art... tells me.

Snowman_McK posted:

Kaling can get hosed.

Dare I ask?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
She's a conservative "wah wah cancel culture" type who channels her insecurities into racist Indian stereotypes.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

AceOfFlames posted:

I remember some podcast raising a very interesting question: "Can you think of ANY directors whose last movie was also their best?" Ridley Scott is clearly not striving to join that club.

Edward Yang, Yi Yi

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She's a conservative "wah wah cancel culture" type who channels her insecurities into racist Indian stereotypes.

Is she really conservative? I remember hearing about the Velma show and just thinking it soundied politically bewildering rather than conservative.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AceOfFlames posted:

Did any Alan Smithee? Cuz then me

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bill Hader was also replaced on Bob's Burgers. Originally they said it was just one episode because of schedule issues but his character was in several seasons and the movie since then and it has never been Bill.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
maybe hes a secret rear end in a top hat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

Is she really conservative? I remember hearing about the Velma show and just thinking it soundied politically bewildering rather than conservative.

Pickme politics usually are, a mix of laughable ignorance and denial.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Non Compos Mentis posted:

maybe hes a secret rear end in a top hat

Barry was a documentary

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Her interview where she claimed that The Office wouldn’t be able to be made in 2021 (or whenever the interview was) was astonishing considering how bland to mildly amusing the show is, to the point that at least two channels on Boomer Cable are playing it at any given point in time.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Snowman_McK posted:

"Bewildering" is a good way to describe Velma. People have read all sorts of things into it because it's a series that depicts every character as hateful, the world as hateful and even seems to hate itself. It's not for anything, it's against everything. If it comes out that the series was produced under duress and was deliberately bad, I wouldn't be surprised.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

Takahata didn't direct anything after Princess Kaguya, did he? Because that was a hell of a film to go out on.
Thats a great call. I love that film's ending. It's so bleak and weird to me, like a Ghibli Hellraiser without the violence.
This is similarly cheating like Laughton, but Yoshifumi Kondo who directed Whisper of the heart. I wish we could have gotten more films from him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Professor Shark posted:

Her interview where she claimed that The Office wouldn’t be able to be made in 2021 (or whenever the interview was) was astonishing considering how bland to mildly amusing the show is, to the point that at least two channels on Boomer Cable are playing it at any given point in time.

The office is edgier than people remember, I’m a weirdo who rewatches it every year and a lot of Michaels jokes are very rough but intentionally so and a huge point of it.

It could absolutely be made today but probably not on NBC. At least the earlier seasons.

Honestly how Michael acts is so on point with the general attitude with a lot of annoying reactionaries except you replace corporate culture with just culture

His dream is to one day be able to joke about aids lol.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

The 'you couldn't do that today' response is just pavlovian for some people. You mention any comedy at all and get someone very sure that it couldn't be made today, no matter how controversial it was at the time or how mainstream it now is.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Where does always sunny air in the US? As that is far edgier than anything ever on the office and no one ever seems to say anything about that when talking about "pc culture" and what not.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Also where does always sunny air? As that is far edgier than anything ever on the office and no one ever seems to say anything about that when talking about "pc culture" and what not.

Also, Always Sunny did abortion jokes in the second episode the same year the Office premiered. They were edgier then and now. The Office was always bland, middle of the road humour that you would have to work so hard to be offended by. No cultural warrior anywhere can even pretend to give a poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Where does always sunny air in the US? As that is far edgier than anything ever on the office and no one ever seems to say anything about that when talking about "pc culture" and what not.

It's on cable, and specifically a channel which has looser standards than the networks. (Cable channels aren't subject to FCC indecency guidelines so it's more what advertisers will accept, so they set their own internal S&P based on that.)