Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Here at Mt. Katatsumuri and Caracol, the fact I've put all my points into Luck and Agility while buying no armor is finally causing some challenges. If Tatsuya gets hit with a weakness he's pretty much dead. That fight against the Longinus was certainly interesting because I was trying to figure out how to stay alive while also doing damage. Died two or three times experimenting with different Persona combinations. Thank God I had Sif. IIRC, which Longinus you fight depends on who you team with or don't team with. I chose Lisa cuz Tatsu x Ginko forever and this lady Longinus primarily uses Lightning attacks and occasionally Wind. Sif Voids Wind and Repels Lightning. Sif also comes with a mid heal. So the boss just kept hurting herself and Lisa, I'd heal Lisa, Lisa would attack, rinse and repeat. Some actual strategy in this here video game, what's up with that.

Also how did I space on the fact this game has that "restart the dungeon track from the beginning after every battle" problem. It really sticks out in this dungeon cause the song barely gets going. You will only hear the good parts if you are loving around in menus for 30-40 seconds or have Estoma on.

Angel Joker proved to me my 3 Vitality might be a serious problem going forward. Without Persona innate protection, I'm kinda hosed. Maybe VIT+8 from eating and Rakukaja can keep me barely alive? We shall see. Or I could just leave the great hero dead on the floor while everyone else wins bosses. Just seems pretty lame.

But in any event, I got Jun. I totally never realized, or I've totally forgotten, that mastering Personas and then Returning them gets you prizes. I got a lot of poo poo to do I have so much money and cards after the ten billion years I spent climbing that mountain and then in the dungeon.

In story news, I do have one criticism which is that...where the hell did the other members of the Joker's Masquerade go? Gi Sasaki wasn't dead, right? I'm pretty sure he escaped after the boss fight. And Ulala said her scamming fiance escaped, too. I don't think we ever se them again? And gently caress, when was the last time we saw Anna? Yes we just rescued her but I'm pretty sure we last saw her at Eikichi's school, dozens of hours ago. I've always felt like she was presented as this super important and cool character but she's really only in like five scenes in the entire game.

I love this song so much. I distinctly remembered that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvQ7yoUkT1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I actually don't know when tactica comes out so huh

Game had negative hype

Kinda odd how it feels like atlus hasn't done much to push the P5 spinoffs in general. Strikers took a whole year to get localized and for a while it felt like people didn't know that besides the genre shift it was basically a direct sequel.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Sometimes I wonder wtf is going on with Sega/Atlus and some major Japanese dev/publishers in general these days.

Tired Moritz posted:

I actually don't know when tactica comes out so huh

Game had negative hype

Taking a franchise that largely went mainstream for it's aesthetics and completely stripping it of that art style always struck me as a weird idea. I don't entirely care about that if the fundamentals are still good and it's a solid game, but a lot of people will hold that against them. I know Japanese producers are super huge on trying to keep production costs down any way they can with seemingly rarer and rarer exception these days and that thats a huge part of the business culture thinking over there, but sometimes I feel like they can't see the forest for the trees instances like this.

I haven't really been the biggest fan of the Sega buyout of Index Corp and in the process Atlus though not gonna lie. I found them way more consistent in what they were putting out before the acquisition was finalized in 2016 and with Persona 5 kind of being the last thing to be developed before that time period and it's relative quality compared to a lot of what has come since is kind of hard to overlook. Too much focus on Keiretsu bullshit and collaborative stuff, not enough on core games and maintaining a consistent standard of quality.

Then again maybe I'm a little biased since my faith in Japanese media and it's producer culture not loving everything up is at a historic low for several years at this point.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 9, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I watched the intro movie and the opening theme doesn't even approach slapping

Kale
May 14, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

I watched the intro movie and the opening theme doesn't even approach slapping

To me that means it's a good thing since I associate that sort of lingo with TikTok and I don't like most of what's popular music wise on TikTok for the most part.

*checks opening video* Yep it's mostly fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

I haven't really been the biggest fan of the Sega buyout of Index Corp and in the process Atlus though not gonna lie. I found them way more consistent in what they were putting out before the acquisition was finalized in 2016 and with Persona 5 kind of being the last thing to be developed before that time period and it's relative quality compared to a lot of what has come since is kind of hard to overlook. Too much focus on Keiretsu bullshit and collaborative stuff, not enough on core games and maintaining a consistent standard of quality.
dog, persona 4 had an insane number of collabs and spinoffs well before the sega purchase

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the persona 4 golden anime is still the most bizarre and misguided thing the persona series has ever done and that happened all on its own

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think Atlus is meaningfully worse off under SEGA than they were under Index, who filed for bankruptcy after doing a bunch of fraud

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Kale posted:

To me that means it's a good thing since I associate that sort of lingo with TikTok and I don't like most of what's popular music wise on TikTok for the most part.

*checks opening video* Yep it's mostly fine.

:dafuq:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Revolutionize Your Heart rules and i can't wait to hear a full version.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Are we talking about Revolution in Your Heart? Because while P5-related intro themes have a high bar it doesn't quite reach, it still absolutely does slap.

I'm not gonna fault a song for not being You Are Stronger, that's just setting yourself up for disappointment. Also we haven't even heard the full version yet!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
tactica OP was mid as gently caress

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I have 5 for Switch, and like physical games. 3 and 4 are physical from limited run games right now. I’ve never played a persona game, but loved Catherine back in the day. Should I get 3 and 4, and what order should I play them in? I’ve heard 5 is the best so maybe wait, get 3 and 4 and play in order?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LionArcher posted:

So I have 5 for Switch, and like physical games. 3 and 4 are physical from limited run games right now. I’ve never played a persona game, but loved Catherine back in the day. Should I get 3 and 4, and what order should I play them in? I’ve heard 5 is the best so maybe wait, get 3 and 4 and play in order?

It's always strange when you have a series which evolves mechanically. Persona 3 started the One More battle system and the general outline every subsequent Persona game follows. This means it's very, very rough and subsequent games do the battle system and dungeons way better. So some would say to start with 5 since it's the best gameplay wise as of now. But the opposite approach is equally viable because if you start with 5, 3 is going to feel so much more painful and primitive. Meanwhile, 5 will be even better if you've gone through 3 and 4 and seen how much they've improved certain things.

My opinion as someone who got Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 Golden about six years ago now just in time for P5's release? I'd start with 3, then go on to 4, and then finally to 5. Just my two cents. I personally think 4 is the best but each game has a very different...mood or tone or cast of characters. Which one you prefer writing wise is kinda like which one you prefer music wise since they all have very different music styles, too.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 10, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The other thing is that all of them are like 100-hour games. If you think there's any chance of you committing to that, I'd absolutely recommend starting with 3 and working your way forward; you'll get the smoothest ride and end on a high note.

If not, I'd start with 5 and see what you feel like after that. There's a remake of 3 coming out, so you won't have to play the janky portable version of 3 if you wait, though that version comes with a cooler protagonist who is not going to be in the remake.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5 plays a bit smoother/has better presentation but persona 4 golden has basically all the QoL stuff, theres no really annoying mechanics thatd make it impossible to go back to or anything.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kale posted:

Taking a franchise that largely went mainstream for it's aesthetics and completely stripping it of that art style always struck me as a weird idea. I don't entirely care about that if the fundamentals are still good and it's a solid game, but a lot of people will hold that against them. I know Japanese producers are super huge on trying to keep production costs down any way they can with seemingly rarer and rarer exception these days and that thats a huge part of the business culture thinking over there, but sometimes I feel like they can't see the forest for the trees instances like this.

Persona Q and Q2 both did fine from what I can tell.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Q2 definitely didn't

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It did fine in that the soundtrack is real loving good.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nuSona has the classic "trilogy" problem where the gameplay and graphics get better over time but the story gets worse. With that in mind I'd say start with 5. If you like it then work backwards from there.

If you start with 3 you're more likely to bounce off the jank and the monotonous dungeon crawling. If you play through all 120ish hours of 5 and decide you want more then you can treat yourself to 4 and 3 as a bonus afterwards and enjoy some more coherent stories and characterizations to boot.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Endorph posted:

the persona 4 golden anime is still the most bizarre and misguided thing the persona series has ever done and that happened all on its own

Never forget that Persona 4 Golden: The Animation was announced in a livestream where we watched a guy in a Teddie costume get groped for 2 hours.

Yeah and the modern Persona idea of each game being its own "series" with a million spinoffs reusing the same characters was already well ingrained before Persona 5, I remember telling a friend who wasn't really following the game's development news that Persona 5 is coming out soon and she asked "Which characters will it have?" (like it would just have nothing but P3 and P4 characters in it) and I mentally facepalmed.
(Yeah I'm aware Persona 2 had characters from 1 in it but not the same thing)

Just occurred to me that it's pretty wild that the wait between Persona 4 and 5 felt like forever, but the gap between Persona 4 and 5 is roughly the same length as the gap between Persona 5 and Persona 3 Reload with no sign of Persona 6 in sight. (Although from the looks of it Metaphor is basically just Persona 6 in a fantasy setting).

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 10, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sapozhnik posted:

nuSona has the classic "trilogy" problem where the gameplay and graphics get better over time but the story gets worse. With that in mind I'd say start with 5. If you like it then work backwards from there.

If you start with 3 you're more likely to bounce off the jank and the monotonous dungeon crawling. If you play through all 120ish hours of 5 and decide you want more then you can treat yourself to 4 and 3 as a bonus afterwards and enjoy some more coherent stories and characterizations to boot.

I don't think P4 and P5's story are bad, like P3's is better but the latter two games are still good romps (especially if you get Royal), they just age worse or hold up less well under scrutiny.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks folks. I’m going to saw screw it and order both the limited run physical of 3 and 4, and then wait to start any of them till they both arrive. Then play them in order. 2024 is the year of the backlog for me, so this makes me pumped for more great games.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Those posts are sort of like the internet geek culture version of when your dad starts talking at length about something and it's really obvious that he's been spending a lot of time on the internet Posting in some social media ecosystem that you're completely oblivious to, with its own set of "common knowledge" that he expects others to somehow be familiar with. Only instead of obscure Russiagate figures, it's obscure internet social dynamics and strange ideas about Japanese and Chinese pop culture.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Those posts are sort of like the internet geek culture version of when your dad starts talking at length about something and it's really obvious that he's been spending a lot of time on the internet Posting in some social media ecosystem that you're completely oblivious to, with its own set of "common knowledge" that he expects others to somehow be familiar with. Only instead of obscure Russiagate figures, it's obscure internet social dynamics and strange ideas about Japanese and Chinese pop culture.
kadokawagate

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

LionArcher posted:

Thanks folks. I’m going to saw screw it and order both the limited run physical of 3 and 4, and then wait to start any of them till they both arrive. Then play them in order. 2024 is the year of the backlog for me, so this makes me pumped for more great games.

A bit late, but you can also start with either 4 or 5 and if you decide you like it, buy the remastered version of 3 which comes out in like a quarter.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I dunno, you'd miss out on the worst navigator voice ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I dunno, you'd miss out on the worst navigator voice ever.

There is absolutely no universe in which the worst navigator voice isn't Japanese Teddie.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
We have been playing these games for a couple years with the hopes of getting up to P5 and now the time is finally now. This is what our play record looked like btw:
Beat 1
Played a little of Snow Queen(?)
Bounced off the end of 2
Got midway through 3
Beat 4 and are in ng+

So we are finally ready. I really liked 4 but holy poo poo we went through all the stages of grief when it came to the music. Especially the "something scary is happening" piano song in the dialogue scenes and the battle music. and Teddie. Holy poo poo. We came very close to quitting. Rise was an improvement.

I had seen a friend play the first couple hours of P5 a couple years ago and that's where I knew I wanted to get, and finally we are there and my God is it good. Anyway, does anyone know where I can get the post-battle music as a ringtone? It's just so chill. Ty

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

mmkay posted:

A bit late, but you can also start with either 4 or 5 and if you decide you like it, buy the remastered version of 3 which comes out in like a quarter.

Yeah I'd definitely suggest waiting for the remake of 3 in February instead of getting the limited run version of P3P. That release is a low effort AI-upscaled port of a PSP port of P3 which massively downgraded the game's presentation by replacing all the "walking around town" bits and cutscenes with still pictures. The only thing it has to offer over the upcoming remake is the choice between a male and female protagonist, which has some differences in the social links.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get the post-battle music as a ringtone? It's just so chill. Ty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHj0jxUFp6Y

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To be fair, the female protag is a vast improvement over the male in P3. Even the plot beats feel better with her around.

You also get the option of Theodore, who's delightful.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get the post-battle music as a ringtone? It's just so chill. Ty

Go to one of millions Youtube to MP3 converters online, download it and set it as a ringtone. Maybe cut it up in Audacity before if you're feeling like it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Here's the thing: Persona 3 (FES) does not actually benefit from having the models visible 98% of the time. The scenes are, to a T, incredibly stiffly staged. Legitimately, the poorly-upscaled backgrounds in the Portable release are worse than not being able to see the character models.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Arist posted:

Here's the thing: Persona 3 (FES) does not actually benefit from having the models visible 98% of the time. The scenes are, to a T, incredibly stiffly staged. Legitimately, the poorly-upscaled backgrounds in the Portable release are worse than not being able to see the character models.

For me it's not so much the cutscenes, but walking around the school, the city, the dorm etc. It really kills the immersion to go from walking around as your character in a 3D environment to dragging a cursor across a still image.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

There are a few scenes that I do think lose a lot of their impact in P3P (namely October 4th, Mitsuru's dad's final scene, Junpei getting Trismegeistus, and the final scene).

That said, I played P3P first and the game still hit the beats fine, I just noticed how the difference in impact when seeing the FES scenes later.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Item Getter posted:

For me it's not so much the cutscenes, but walking around the school, the city, the dorm etc. It really kills the immersion to go from walking around as your character in a 3D environment to dragging a cursor across a still image.

Walking around gets really old in FES too because you can't teleport, so I don't really agree with this either

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

mmkay posted:

Go to one of millions Youtube to MP3 converters online, download it and set it as a ringtone. Maybe cut it up in Audacity before if you're feeling like it.

If you use newpipe on android you can just directly download a video or audio file from a YT video and bypass the sketchy malware sites.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Walking around gets really old in FES too because you can't teleport, so I don't really agree with this either

Never felt the need to warp around tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay update. I will wait for the remake/not get 3 for the switch, but get 4 from limited run and wait for it before I play it and then 5 on my switch in 2024