Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That definitely sounds like an RGB plot! :toot:

Seems a bit overstuffed with characters, but we’ll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
There was the Pillar Of Manhattan, which caused a heatwave and all of the water to stop flowing iirc

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Splint Chesthair posted:

It's hilarious that Murray was allegedly the sticking point in getting Ghostbusters 3 made for decades and now he's just...there.

Now he knows he's only gotta show up for a day and a half at most. In '94, they would've wanted him there for at least a couple weeks.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Get rid of the kids. Give all their scenes to ernie hudson.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Now he knows he's only gotta show up for a day and a half at most. In '94, they would've wanted him there for at least a couple weeks.

He also probably doesn't have a stack of multi-million dollar offers available to him at all times to choose from like he did in the 90s or even the early 2000s. Working for a few days on a Ghostbusters film is probably the biggest individual payday he can get at this point.

gregday
May 23, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

Get rid of the kids. Give all their scenes to Annie Potts.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Trailer was cool.

:v:

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's odd to see quite a bit of implied death, even child death, in a friggin Ghostbusters trailer. :stare:

They are going for the 80s Amblin vibe

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which is weird because GB was not amblin in the slightest. They’re just cribbing stranger things which is not ghostbusters

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Which is weird because GB was not amblin in the slightest. They’re just cribbing stranger things which is not ghostbusters

You know that’s the only reason Finn Wolfhard got cast in Afterlife.

Get rid of the kids. Give all their scenes to CGI ghost Harold Ramis

Fixed :smug:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Get rid of the kids. Give all their scenes to ernie hudson.

:hai:

:haibrow:

Xenomrph posted:

Fixed :smug:

hisses like an angry cat

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SatansOnion posted:

:hai:

:haibrow:

hisses like an angry cat

Aww who’s a kitty! :3:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The cowards should just make the movie with the old crew as the main characters. That's who everyone is paying to see

Obviously it's just because Hollywood is ageist AF. maybe the audience is too. Sorry Bill Murray, too old to be funny now. Get in the ground

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alan_Shore posted:

The cowards should just make the movie with the old crew as the main characters. That's who everyone is paying to see

Obviously it's just because Hollywood is ageist AF. maybe the audience is too. Sorry Bill Murray, too old to be funny now. Get in the ground

I can't tell anymore what's irony posting and what's not.

Other than Ernie Hudson, I truly don't give a gently caress if I see the guys in these movies.

Because, to me, they aren't Ray and Peter anymore; they're old Dan Aykroyd and old Bill Murray.

I'm fine with seeing them in a movie, sure, but they didn't feel like their characters in Afterlife, and I'm not betting on that changing in this one. Except Ernie as Winston. You can tell he really loves the character and he still seems like Winston.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I kinda wish there wasn't always some world ending threat. Just give me a movie of Ghostbusters cracking wise and catching ghosts.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 9, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SolarFire2 posted:

I kinda wish there want always some world ending threat. Just give me aovie of Ghostbusters cracking wise and catching ghosts.

Out of curiosity, how many episodes of TRG involved world ending threats?

Was there EVER GB media at anytime where it's just the guys busting ghosts and feeling good?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan_Shore posted:

they just released a film with an ANCIENT Indiana Jones this year, and have been doing these rebooted franchises with all olds. Halloween, TCM, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, some MCU stuff here and there.

problem is it sucks because they are old and can't do much

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well the GBs never did much in the movies when they were young. They just had to say funny things. They weren't rolling on the floor like the awful 2016 reboot.

Ray, Peter, Winston, they are the Ghostbusters. You can't just give Finn Wolfhard or Paul Rudd a proton pack and be like "now they are Ghostbusters" like it's the Avengers.

I'm not sure what Rupert means about Ray and Venkman not seeming like themselves in Afterlife (and I'd put that down to writing anyway). It was the best part when they showed up at the end, with the biggest laugh. I can also guarantee that Ackroyd cares more about Ghostbusters than anyone, even Hudson.

I am very optimistic for this movie though, and can't wait to see it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Well the GBs never did much in the movies when they were young. They just had to say funny things. They weren't rolling on the floor like the awful 2016 reboot.

Ray, Peter, Winston, they are the Ghostbusters. You can't just give Finn Wolfhard or Paul Rudd a proton pack and be like "now they are Ghostbusters" like it's the Avengers.

I'm not sure what Rupert means about Ray and Venkman not seeming like themselves in Afterlife (and I'd put that down to writing anyway). It was the best part when they showed up at the end, with the biggest laugh. I can also guarantee that Ackroyd cares more about Ghostbusters than anyone, even Hudson.

I am very optimistic for this movie though, and can't wait to see it.

Yeah, I guess Dan does probably care the most. I don't know, I just felt like when I was watching them, I didn't see the characters at all, I just saw the actors :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 9, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

See, like, I kinda get where you’re coming from, but I always got the sense that they were meant to be the “Everyman”, in the sense that anyone can become a ghostbuster with the right gear and the willingness to face down spooky poo poo. I feel that was the premise behind the Ghostbusters video game, and I think the Ghostbusters cosplay community has really leaned into it. I don’t want to cosplay as Ray Stantz, I want to cosplay as me, a bona-fide Ghostbuster. I have the tools, I have the talent. That’s why my jumpsuit will have *my* name on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kids being GB isn’t a bad idea. I just wish they were funnier

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, I guess Dan does probably care the most. I don't know, I just felt like when I was watching them, I didn't see the characters at all, I just saw the actors :shrug:

"Egon Spengler can burn in hell" is the moment I finally turned on Afterlife; there is no way Ray Stantz would say that. Especially after the follow-up exposition scene in which Ray just says that Egon got paranoid and eventually took the equipment and hosed off to Oklahoma because he had found something big.

I was already strongly disliking the movie because once again it was just revisiting the beats of the original (down to mimicking Bernstein's score, holy poo poo), but that was the inflection point for me. And then the movie went whole-hog in remaking the original, down to the Terror Dogs making Carrie Coon get into a skimpy dress and there being a big battle against Gozer ... and then CGI Ramis happened and it just kept going and holy gently caress, Afterlife was terrible. I haven't seen it since I caught it in the theater in 2021, and I have no desire to ever revisit it.

When we were in the car heading back to my apartment and we were talking about the movie, my then-girlfriend said to me, "Why do you have to be so critical and negative? Can't you just enjoy things?"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I, on the other hand, really liked Afterlife and am eagerly looking forward to rewatching it as I make my way through the 4K series box set.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I on the other other hand wish they would send this franchise to hell.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Out of curiosity, how many episodes of TRG involved world ending threats?

Was there EVER GB media at anytime where it's just the guys busting ghosts and feeling good?

'Ghostbuster of the Year' and 'Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Ghost' end with a ghost moving on

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

'Ghostbuster of the Year' and 'Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Ghost' end with a ghost moving on

Also ‘The Spirit of Aunt Lois’ :haw:

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
I seem to remember a good one about a guy stuck in a ghostly horse and carriage

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

'The Man Who Never Reached Home'. I think Ray ends up on the carriage in his place?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

'The Man Who Never Reached Home'. I think Ray ends up on the carriage in his place?

Yeah, that's a good 'un.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kumail Nanjiani just confirmed on twitter that the writers/director were essentially aiming to create a feature-length, live action movie that felt like an episode of The Real Ghostbusters.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kumail Nanjiani just confirmed on twitter that the writers/director were essentially aiming to create a feature-length, live action movie that felt like an episode of The Real Ghostbusters.

That’s fantastic.

Edit — I posted this 9 years ago in an older thread, but it’s worth reposting:

Picture I took of a photo on display at the Pima Air and Space Museum, of an unknown German soldier in WWII. :thunk:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 9, 2023

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Ok, now I'm hyped

winddancerman
Aug 26, 2022

The new one should just be about Podcast. Give the fans what they want.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

winddancerman posted:

The new one should just be about Podcast. Give the fans what they want.

Podcast died on the way back to his home planet

Edit— I will never stop laughing at how if you wanted GB Afterlife action figures of the legacy crew and the new crew, the only way to complete EITHER team was by getting a Target-exclusive two-pack that barely saw distribution. And one of the figures in the pack was Phoebe! Great job, go team.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 9, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Podcast died on the way back to his home planet

Edit— I will never stop laughing at how if you wanted GB Afterlife action figures of the legacy crew and the new crew, the only way to complete EITHER team was by getting a Target-exclusive two-pack that barely saw distribution. And one of the figures in the pack was Phoebe! Great job, go team.

Target exclusives might be the biggest bane on the toy collecting experience these days.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Meh.

I guess I'll see it when it's out on video.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sadly I don't think they're releasing this on VHS

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Digital video is still video.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LividLiquid posted:

Digital video is still video.

Tell that to the physical media thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Alan_Shore posted:

Sadly I don't think they're releasing this on VHS

Do the studios want my 80's nostalgia dollars or not?!