Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The whole point of ripping off old movies is that if you know the movie you go "oh they're doing the thing" and if you don't know the movie you think it's a cool idea they came up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gumball Gumption posted:

The whole point of ripping off old movies is that if you know the movie you go "oh they're doing the thing" and if you don't know the movie you think it's a cool idea they came up with

People still don't get Rodrick strong is doing Streetcar (or more the Simpsons spoofs of it) even with Nigel directly making a 'Stella!' joke.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Shard posted:

these folks in 1996

Wait I have to go watch a movie about some dead musician to understand what's going on with Sting - explain your stories WCW!

how old do you think the crow was?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

how old do you think the crow was?

The star was dead by the time WCW did the storyline so probably pretty old.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gumball Gumption posted:

I though they were doing Mickie James debuting as being obsessed with Trish, but yeah without any reference to anything else it's a fine angle.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i haven't seen any of these old movies and i wasn't watching wrestling during whenever mickie james debuted and i understand the story they're telling just fine

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

:laffo:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

See I didn't know they were doing a movie with Mickie James/Trish - I just thought it was a psycho fan kind of storyline.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I thought All About Eve was that show with Sandra Oh :shrug:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://twitter.com/alanbarcoff/status/1717825225658605969?t=1wDx1VAQspTTtzkD6wqfVQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/alanbarcoff/status/1722149993643986948?t=fMN8YHqwCGlGef_pP6kFoA&s=19

This man confounds me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sells weed

bartok
May 10, 2006

I learned about Sunset Boulevard because Tiny Toon Advetures did an entire episode that was just a parody of that movie. Same thing with Citizen Kane.

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's not the movie stuff that gets me. If I hadn't watched Sunset Blvd recently I wouldn't have picked up on the parallels. It's the fact that RJ City and Mariah May turned to the camera and said "this is Mariah May, who wrestled in STARDOM in Japan, and she's a huge fan of Toni Storm, who wrestled for STARDOM in Japan, and she's in AEW because she wants to wrestle the same place Toni Storm wrestles". Like that wasn't even subtext. They said this. It was probably the most blatant debut they've had in terms of immediately making the audience understand who a new signing is.

Should have flashed a QR code to the IMDB page

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bartok posted:

I learned about Sunset Boulevard because Tiny Toon Advetures did an entire episode that was just a parody of that movie. Same thing with Citizen Kane.

He was saying "Acne," you see

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bartok posted:

The only reason I knew anything about adult pop culture or current events as a kid was mad magazine and the Simpsons.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

bartok posted:

I feel like most kids learned about classic movie tropes from Warner cartoons before they ever saw the movies they were referencing. I mostly knew who Peter Lorre and Humphrey Bogart were because the original Looney Tunes would parody them all the time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Bonk posted:

I feel like most kids learned about classic movie tropes from Warner cartoons before they ever saw the movies they were referencing. I mostly knew who Peter Lorre and Humphrey Bogart were because the original Looney Tunes would parody them all the time.

And some references in those cartoons are to things that have been entirely forgotten. Senator Beauregard Claghorn lives in obscurity but Foghorn Leghorn is still somewhere in the zeitgeist.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

1glitch0 posted:

I though they were doing Mickie James debuting as being obsessed with Trish, but yeah without any reference to anything else it's a fine angle.

Mickie James and Trish was pretty much a riff on Single White Female.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The_Rob posted:

Mickie James and Trish was pretty much a riff on Single White Female.

more like a whiff because booking didn't get the movie at all.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Ibexaz posted:

a movie about an aging Hollywood starlet???? Whos keeping track of all thijis

:eng101: aging Broadway starlet

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Power Windows posted:

:eng101: aging Broadway starlet

But Norma Desmond was a Hollywood starlet, not Broadway and Toni is playing her, right down to Luther being Max the butler. Or am I missing something here?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://twitter.com/thwrestleprince/status/1722731192351387781

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Coolness Averted posted:

But Norma Desmond was a Hollywood starlet, not Broadway and Toni is playing her, right down to Luther being Max the butler. Or am I missing something here?

I was referring to All About Eve

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Good post

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Power Windows posted:

I was referring to All About Eve

Ah! Knew I'd mixed something up, thanks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You can play football on that astroturf

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

signed, nick khan

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

1glitch0 posted:

No reason it can't be references to both. I mean...

https://twitter.com/femalelroom/status/1722456955132793332?s=20

(Probably a coincidence they're both in low cut red outfits, but I want to believe it's a deliberate reference.)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
All About Eve is good. Bette Davis and Anne Baxter are great in it. Recommend.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

apophenium posted:

I thought All About Eve was that show with Sandra Oh :shrug:

no, that's Invincible, gawd

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

No, guys, All About Eve are the band who did Martha's Harbour.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I though all about eve was the movie where Sandra bullock played someone who made crossword puzzles

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

coconono posted:

You can play football on that astroturf

:lmao:

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Just to get it out of the way:

Who are you to doubt El Dandy?!?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Citing Silver King as a guy who didn't have a gimmick is a great gimmick to help this post stand out.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/nikoexxtra/status/1722642875589017860?s=46

https://twitter.com/nikoexxtra/status/1722646150400913837?s=46

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023
Old news, the biggest clue that the Montreal Screwjob is a work is the fact that it happen in 'Canada'. You know, the fact country invented by Marvel Comics to be the place Wolverine lives,just like what they did with Black Panther and Wakanda.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Some, very observant fans are posting spoilers in the comments of AEW's latest clip of the devil.

CM Punk getting fired was all a work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It could be a work, it'd just be an extremely idiotic work.