Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Tiny Timbs posted:

I would absolutely not attempt to remove an extremely flexibly battery that's heavily glued down and will shoot flames into your eyes if you flex it enough to make a weak point

There are countless adhesive solvents you can use that won't damage your device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok have fun trying to use them on a Steam Deck, but there's a lot of repairs I'm willing to try and that aint one of them

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Cobalt Core impressions: I've played 3 runs, and won each, though the third was pretty close. Got down to just one HP at one point. I'll bump up the difficulty next time I play.

It certainly seems like it can get pretty deep, and I've still seen only about 25% of the available cards, so hopefully it also gets more challenging.

Each run, you pick a ship and 3 crew members (Maybe other ships can hold a different number of crew? IDK I still only have the starter ship). Each crew member has their own card pool with its own focus, so I can see there being a lot of strategic variability depending on your make up.

It's cute pixel art. You can tell just by lookin' at it how you'll feel about that. The writing is okay. A couple of the little jokes got a small laugh from me, and I don't remember seeing any Internet cringe humor.

It is a lot of fun, though. Seeing the 'right' move on a turn won't always be easy. Hopefully it's got a decent 'endgame.'

As a bonus, it's one of the few games that actually runs on the lovely Dell laptop I take to work, so I've been completely ignoring the class I'm supposed to be teaching, which is great.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Regarding The Talos Principle 2:

- I think someone was very proud of the lighting and so they put all the lighting in the game. It seems a bit much at times. Even if it is very pretty
- Lmao at the somnodrome. That was both funny and unexpected and a moral dilemma on top
- Also lmao at the dad joke

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/oled

gen2 steam deck is official, gen1 models got a price cut

Well I’m buying one. Hell yeah

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s a great entry if you don’t have one yet. I can’t quite justify upgrading mine, but that does look sexy. May have to check the resale value, I’ve got the “premium” one from the original lineup.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Don't care because I can't buy the original Steam Deck in Australia unless it's a grey import

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Antigravitas posted:

- Lmao at the somnodrome. That was both funny and unexpected and a moral dilemma on top

I've only seen one so idk if this means something else but gently caress Melville I'm trying it

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Since this is the default PC games thread :pcgaming:, is there a Homeworld thread? I’m on a phone tonight, and GOG just sent me a code for like every Homeworld product like 97% off. I knew it was a decent game through other folks, and the discount made all the games/DLC <$5. I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos, and I’m very happy with my purchase, but there’s no way to “Search” the forums on AwfulApp for iOS. I hope to download it when I get home, and will start with the Homeworld 1 remaster after downloading. I want to try them all un-modded at first, but are there any “must have” mods for like graphics or bug fixes/gameplay i should look up to start?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

DerekSmartymans posted:

Since this is the default PC games thread :pcgaming:, is there a Homeworld thread? I’m on a phone tonight, and GOG just sent me a code for like every Homeworld product like 97% off. I knew it was a decent game through other folks, and the discount made all the games/DLC <$5. I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos, and I’m very happy with my purchase, but there’s no way to “Search” the forums on AwfulApp for iOS. I hope to download it when I get home, and will start with the Homeworld 1 remaster after downloading. I want to try them all un-modded at first, but are there any “must have” mods for like graphics or bug fixes/gameplay i should look up to start?

The Games Index thread says there is one for 3, probably good for all.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897458

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

:doh:Thanks!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

resistentialism posted:

I actually never had much success playing quickly in risk of rain, and I had a lot of wins where I just kept collecting piles and piles of upgrades and managed to stay on top of the difficulty curve.

I simply cannot stand the scaling of Risk of Rain. It's just a straight up red line for me. I tried in both 1 and 2 but nope, it's a game killer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got reminded of Resident Evil 6 and now I'm sad because it has a really fun and unique combat system that nobody else has done or has attempted to copy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

skeletronics posted:

Cobalt Core impressions: I've played 3 runs, and won each, though the third was pretty close. Got down to just one HP at one point. I'll bump up the difficulty next time I play.

It certainly seems like it can get pretty deep, and I've still seen only about 25% of the available cards, so hopefully it also gets more challenging.

Each run, you pick a ship and 3 crew members (Maybe other ships can hold a different number of crew? IDK I still only have the starter ship). Each crew member has their own card pool with its own focus, so I can see there being a lot of strategic variability depending on your make up.

It's cute pixel art. You can tell just by lookin' at it how you'll feel about that. The writing is okay. A couple of the little jokes got a small laugh from me, and I don't remember seeing any Internet cringe humor.

It is a lot of fun, though. Seeing the 'right' move on a turn won't always be easy. Hopefully it's got a decent 'endgame.'

As a bonus, it's one of the few games that actually runs on the lovely Dell laptop I take to work, so I've been completely ignoring the class I'm supposed to be teaching, which is great.

I'm halfway through the story and so far it's great - the ships have significantly different playstyles (the first one you unlock has no guns but its drones copy your attacks, for example). It's always 3 crew you choose from the 8 available (though the 8th takes a loooooong time to unlock)

IMO the writing is decent and goes for a very simple, innocent sort of humor that really adds to the charm. You're incentivized to mix and match crew members since they comment on a lot of stuff and even have unique interactions in specific random encounters. Half the time, the very brief conversations at the beginning and towards the end of a run move the main mystery forward (the other time it's a silly joke) and it's pretty compelling. You need to beat the game three times with each of the six main characters (so a bare minimum of 18 victories + a final run afterwards) to fully understand what happened since your crew remembers more about what's going on as you win and choose whose memory you want to see this time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

The strongest piece of advice I can give regarding Homeworld is to not sleep on Emergence (formerly Cataclysm) after playing the first game just because it wasn’t able to be remastered. Hopefully you get lucky and it’ll just run on your hardware but even a bit of effort is well worth it.

If you want to play them unmodded, or at least the first game since Homeworld 2 wasn’t really changed at all in the remasters, then you might consider playing the included original version rather than the remaster. There’s still things that the original release does better because of the different engines - Homeworld 1 remastered runs in the Homeworld 2 engine which had very different gameplay. Mind you I wouldn’t call that a strong suggestion because the Homeworld 2 engine is very pretty and it now works mostly well enough.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kibayasu posted:

The strongest piece of advice I can give regarding Homeworld is to not sleep on Emergence (formerly Cataclysm) after playing the first game just because it wasn’t able to be remastered. Hopefully you get lucky and it’ll just run on your hardware but even a bit of effort is well worth it.

If you want to play them unmodded, or at least the first game since Homeworld 2 wasn’t really changed at all in the remasters, then you might consider playing the included original version rather than the remaster. There’s still things that the original release does better because of the different engines - Homeworld 1 remastered runs in the Homeworld 2 engine which had very different gameplay. Mind you I wouldn’t call that a strong suggestion because the Homeworld 2 engine is very pretty and it now works mostly well enough.

I understand that the “micromanagement” of stuff like individual fighters isn’t as bad in 2, where you build squads instead. That alone may push me to the remaster first :bang:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

I understand that the “micromanagement” of stuff like individual fighters isn’t as bad in 2, where you build squads instead. That alone may push me to the remaster first :bang:

The Homeworld 1 remaster still uses individual units though handling them is easier than the original thanks to improvements the Homeworld 2 engine provides.

This is getting into more poetic nitty gritty of being a Homeworld fan but squadrons vs individual units part of what I meant by different gameplay goals. To put it simply Homeworld 2 is very much a war game and it strived to make the war part much simpler and it succeeded, fighters and corvettes being squadrons which build together and repair together did help with that. Units are just that, units to build, to fight, and die. However Homeworld 1 (and Emergence) had a much greater emphasis on the journey and survival aspects and a part of that can be your individual ships. Some of the very first interceptors you build in the first mission might stay alive for the entire game.

But I’m getting over romantic and nostalgic. Play the remaster, maybe give Emergence a chance if you can get it running easily enough.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm still bitter about the way HW1 was handled in the remaster. The original binaries probably don't handle modern resolutions well enough and the remaster is much prettier, so unless you're a die-hard fan it's probably just best to play the newer version and know that there where significant differences.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Waste of Breath posted:

I've only seen one so idk if this means something else but gently caress Melville I'm trying it

I guess it's hardly a spoiler since they very heavily foreshadow it. You find a working one later, and yes, you absolutely should plug yourself into the mystery device. What's the worst that could happen?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

Don't care because I can't buy the original Steam Deck in Australia unless it's a grey import

Just move country.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Riftbreaker is starting a closed beta test for multiplayer.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/780310/view/3803913612004075220?l=english

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hwurmp posted:

The Riftbreaker is starting a closed beta test for multiplayer.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/780310/view/3803913612004075220?l=english

Rad. Been looking forward to playing it with friends for awhile.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Azran posted:

I'm halfway through the story and so far it's great - the ships have significantly different playstyles (the first one you unlock has no guns but its drones copy your attacks, for example). It's always 3 crew you choose from the 8 available (though the 8th takes a loooooong time to unlock)

IMO the writing is decent and goes for a very simple, innocent sort of humor that really adds to the charm. You're incentivized to mix and match crew members since they comment on a lot of stuff and even have unique interactions in specific random encounters. Half the time, the very brief conversations at the beginning and towards the end of a run move the main mystery forward (the other time it's a silly joke) and it's pretty compelling. You need to beat the game three times with each of the six main characters (so a bare minimum of 18 victories + a final run afterwards) to fully understand what happened since your crew remembers more about what's going on as you win and choose whose memory you want to see this time.

Do new enemy types show up in later runs? I think my one criticism of the game is that I’ve done 3 runs and I’ve already seen all the enemies. I watched a streamer play on Hard and there weren’t any new enemies there either

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Speaking of Riftbreaker, I picked it up again recently along with the DLC for cheap and I've been having a blast with it. They made some QOL changes since I last played (around release) that make a huge difference. One change is that you can increase the size of your upgrade/sell/repair cursor so you can quickly do one of those actions to large portions of your base (so you can easily repair dozens of buildings after an earthquake or whatever with just a few clicks, as opposed to clicking on them one at a time). The second is that any buildings that get destroyed leave 'ruins' on the map that you can repair (for the full cost of the ruined building) with the repair tool. What this means is that if a quarter of your base gets destroyed in an attack, as long as you have the resources you can just wave your giant repair cursor over it and rebuild it exactly as it was. The game is still sort of unfocused and oddly paced, but I've still been having fun.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Phigs posted:

I simply cannot stand the scaling of Risk of Rain. It's just a straight up red line for me. I tried in both 1 and 2 but nope, it's a game killer.

I was bashing my head against the wall playing on Normal and could only get to The Temple level like once out of 20+ attempts. Then I turned it to Easy and steamrolled the game first try. :shrug:

I guess I'll continue to bash on Normal. I'm also finding more success in trying to get all the chests before the boss, the equipment helps so much and I get rocked without it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Speaking of Riftbreaker, I picked it up again recently along with the DLC for cheap and I've been having a blast with it. They made some QOL changes since I last played (around release) that make a huge difference. One change is that you can increase the size of your upgrade/sell/repair cursor so you can quickly do one of those actions to large portions of your base (so you can easily repair dozens of buildings after an earthquake or whatever with just a few clicks, as opposed to clicking on them one at a time). The second is that any buildings that get destroyed leave 'ruins' on the map that you can repair (for the full cost of the ruined building) with the repair tool. What this means is that if a quarter of your base gets destroyed in an attack, as long as you have the resources you can just wave your giant repair cursor over it and rebuild it exactly as it was. The game is still sort of unfocused and oddly paced, but I've still been having fun.

pro tip: there are some guns that tank your move speed, like the nuke & minigun, and other guns that have little or no effect like the flamethrower, burst rifle, or the shard gun you get for beating the Into the Dark DLC

back when I played, if you fired or charged up two different guns at the same time, the higher speed would override the lower and you could charge up a nuke blast while still staying ahead of the critter hordes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

any idea if these QoL changes are part of the DLC or the base game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

any idea if these QoL changes are part of the DLC or the base game?

They're part of the base game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JSmithOTI posted:

I was bashing my head against the wall playing on Normal and could only get to The Temple level like once out of 20+ attempts. Then I turned it to Easy and steamrolled the game first try. :shrug:

I guess I'll continue to bash on Normal. I'm also finding more success in trying to get all the chests before the boss, the equipment helps so much and I get rocked without it.

There's a certain flow to it where you have to weigh your power curve vs. time spent to really find success.

A really common trap is trying to farm up money to open every single chest, activate every drone, and exhaust every shrine. Shrines especially are newbie bait; give 'em a few tries then move on.

But that said, the second game worked way better for me. You waste so much more time in 1 just navigating the levels and the itemization felt more swingy/RNG based. Not sure how the remaster fares in that regard with all the new stuff taken into account.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Going through my backlog, and Psychonauts 2 / Control is a very unintentionally hilarious double feature.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

John Murdoch posted:

There's a certain flow to it where you have to weigh your power curve vs. time spent to really find success.

A really common trap is trying to farm up money to open every single chest, activate every drone, and exhaust every shrine. Shrines especially are newbie bait; give 'em a few tries then move on.

But that said, the second game worked way better for me. You waste so much more time in 1 just navigating the levels and the itemization felt more swingy/RNG based. Not sure how the remaster fares in that regard with all the new stuff taken into account.

One really nice QOL change in the remaster is that you no longer have to kill every single enemy to activate the teleporter. Just kill the boss and then wait out the timer, and you can just leave immediately. I've only done a few runs, but it feels a lot more balanced from the start, at least in that all the most important items are unlocked from the beginning, rather than you having to complete challenges to get access to them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wasn't under the impression they had actually changed much at all, if anything, in terms of item unlocks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Lakbay posted:

Do new enemy types show up in later runs? I think my one criticism of the game is that I’ve done 3 runs and I’ve already seen all the enemies. I watched a streamer play on Hard and there weren’t any new enemies there either

Nope, no new enemies. Apparently the devs are working on post-release free content so here's hoping! But yeah, it's not one of those endless games like FTL, it just has pretty decent staying power for its price.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

They mentioned it allows for easier modding.
I'm going to hold onto my launch model Deck since I can homebrew it. Or any model Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah if they did trade ins that would be slick as poo poo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wild Hearts became available to gamepass users the other day so I decided to check it out to see what they've done with it and it's pretty baffling how poorly that game still runs. Everything low, off, downscaled, whatever, there was such bad hitching in between moments of decent framerate that it makes running around annoying, never mind fighting a boss. I know they have already abandoned it so I wasn't expecting much but drat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wild hearts was painfully bad when it came out and the year of incredible releases that followed hasn’t done it any favors. a fantastic concept squandered by piss poor execution and nonexistent polish. it needed a minimum of another year in the oven.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Nintendo has had a blessed year of when it's done it's done releases and if they hosed up Mario RPG I'll poo poo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cleared "The Kraken" in Gunhead after about 10 hours of play. I didn't see any "postgame" options or anything like that besides it just escalating with the same stuff and you get a super suit after beating it so even though I didn't see credits or anything, I guess I'm done?

I enjoyed it quite a bit, even though I just got it because of the Jerma va lol it ended up pretty interesting. After playing it a lot it actually reminded me more of a FPS Heat Signature -- shooting yourself out of the ships' airlocks and zipping around to the other side was pretty cool to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's a direct translation of Cryptark into an FPS.