Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

The garbage fixes apparently involve multiplying the processing capacity of the facilities by 100.
My landfill with a single Hazardous Waste Collection Point attached processed 1.5 t a month before, now it can process 150 t a month.
My incineration plants do 4,500 t a month, and I decided to just switch all but a single off.

Lol I mean directionally correct but that seems pretty high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Changes like that may literally be a ten-minute 'I know what went wrong whoops just gotta change one line' fix though.

No I get that, I was more speaking to the overall idea of having that feature at all right now. Even that though, to your point, could be a “I added a cool thing on the side” vs something they actually prioritized and balanced around.

I shouldn’t bitch, I do actually like those sorts of attention to detail. It’s just easy to pick on.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Neat, happy to see this update hit gamepass at the same time.

Edit: Oh god I have way too many garbage facilities now, haha.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 9, 2023

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Digital Jedi posted:

Landfill is almost at max

yea whatever they fixed just massively increased the processing speed. All my stuff is emptying out rapidly

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Anime Store Adventure posted:

“Fixed an issue with randomization of radio ads per brand influence in a city.”

While some of these things are neat additions to be sure they really put the cart before the horse when it comes to their “horse balls shrink in the cold” type of details, huh? Maybe make sure the game like, runs okay first.

Bikeshedding: The Game

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The issues with performance will probably take a while, since it's not really due to bugs but rather how there's not any low detail LOD for meshes and culling is handled in a way Unity doesn't natively support.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That kinda silly small features are often the brainchild of some programmer who needed to take a break from their primary task and/or are waiting on somebody else before they can continue.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not to mention anyone with the debugging skills to fix Unity performance in a production game title probably has long left the game dev industry entirely from burnout because they could get any other programming job with better pay and hours at the drop of a hat

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Fishstick posted:

RCI is more like a "want" instead of a "need", I think. People want more single family residential, but all theyre gonna get is apartments and soviet style low rent housing.

Can I make Soviet style micro districts connected only by mass transit? I want my citizens to walk everywhere.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Show me your city entrances / starter tiles

Out of all things, the "city entrance" is always the hardest for me to get looking organic and I see myself always making the same cosmetic mistakes

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Can I make Soviet style micro districts connected only by mass transit? I want my citizens to walk everywhere.

I think buildings need roads attached to them to function, but you don't have to connect all the roads

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fishstick posted:

Out of all things, the "city entrance" is always the hardest for me to get looking organic and I see myself always making the same cosmetic mistakes

Mine are always poorly made spaghetti disasters, i love them:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I feel better now

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Fishstick posted:

Here's a good one that I didn't make:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17qcvr1/my_city_entrance/

I'm going to start copying that now though because it's so good. I usually just take the pre-built highway off-ramp, throw a roundabout on it, connect a large city avenue to it, and build off from there. Over time adding other highway exits to other parts of the city and rejiggering the original one to be a bit more streamlined.

If you want a real-world example of a highway suddenly terminating to a city street, check out Allen Road in Toronto, where we started building a highway, the next government in power said "gently caress that", and they just terminated the project early with a road connection.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Fishstick posted:

Ignore the train line weirdness on the top right, idk what was going on with the terrain there

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

piratepilates posted:

If you want a real-world example of a highway suddenly terminating to a city street, check out Allen Road in Toronto, where we started building a highway, the next government in power said "gently caress that", and they just terminated the project early with a road connection.

I love that if you zoom down to street view it's just a really really long line of cars coming off. No surprises!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

RadioDog posted:

I love that if you zoom down to street view it's just a really really long line of cars coming off. No surprises!

C:S2 does make a pretty good "Toronto/GTA at rush hour" simulator.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's a bit nuts how many elementary schools I need to satisfy everyone. I think I have 6? now? and every one of them is running at max capacity even when restricting them to certain districts. There's a few parts of the city where I have two elementary schools like a block from each other.

Also I've been watching Sips play this off and on since it came out and I have no idea how he got into a situation where his city has 50k pop but $400,000,000 in the bank and there's no demand for high density at all nor any jobs for uneducated. I'm cruising towards 80k now and it's not been too tough staying on top of unemployment but I have nowhere near that much money saved up.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 9, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

piratepilates posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17qcvr1/my_city_entrance/

I'm going to start copying that now though because it's so good. I usually just take the pre-built highway off-ramp, throw a roundabout on it, connect a large city avenue to it, and build off from there. Over time adding other highway exits to other parts of the city and rejiggering the original one to be a bit more streamlined.

That roundabout before the first intersection is a neat idea since it keeps u-turn traffic off the highway out of the city.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

explosivo posted:

Also I've been watching Sips play this off and on since it came out and I have no idea how he got into a situation where his city has 50k pop but $400,000,000 in the bank and there's no demand for high density at all nor any jobs for uneducated. I'm cruising towards 80k now and it's not been too tough staying on top of unemployment but I have nowhere near that much money saved up.
I don’t know, but there seems to be a spot in let's say the 15k-25k range where I can simultaneously:

1) Have residential taxes high, because whatta you gonna do about it?
2) Have specialized industries up so you supposedly import very little.
3) Be producing way more power than I need and exporting a bunch and
4) Be getting government subsidies for some reason.

I don’t know if it adds up to $400 million, but I’ve hovered over the cash window and seen +24K/h plenty of times.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

explosivo posted:

It's a bit nuts how many elementary schools I need to satisfy everyone. I think I have 6? now? and every one of them is running at max capacity even when restricting them to certain districts. There's a few parts of the city where I have two elementary schools like a block from each other.

ive got 154k pop and 28 elementary schools, including multiple huge bricks of schools together. 38k of my cims are in elementary school. help.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cygni posted:

Mine are always poorly made spaghetti disasters, i love them:

This gives me a lot of anxiety somehow. No I can’t do a better job. I wish this game would wizard up highway connections/intersections for me. I’m terrible at them and I have no desire to spend time messing with spaghetti.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im the opposite, in CS1 i didnt give two shits about my horrendous spaghetti stack interchanges. The stock road tools sucked so whatever. Now the new tools ate so much better that im wasting way to many loving hours making meticulously graded and curved off ramps.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
FINALLY CAUGHT AN ACCIDENT IN PROGRESS!

HEAVY BREAKING

OH FU

dunno why the gently caress my citizens complain cos the response time is before the lorry has even loving landed

ghost rider has arrived on scene

what a loving mess

I too have gone in hard on el-trains

Squido fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 9, 2023

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Lmao, that crash rules ^

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t know, but there seems to be a spot in let's say the 15k-25k range where I can simultaneously:

1) Have residential taxes high, because whatta you gonna do about it?
2) Have specialized industries up so you supposedly import very little.
3) Be producing way more power than I need and exporting a bunch and
4) Be getting government subsidies for some reason.

I don’t know if it adds up to $400 million, but I’ve hovered over the cash window and seen +24K/h plenty of times.

IDK if he is doing what I do, but I got to positive cash flow, then set some zoning up and took a nap. Went from like 100k to 20m over a couple hours.

I can see someone focusing on landscaping for a while while just building a lot of trees and bushes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Macichne Leainig posted:

Not to mention anyone with the debugging skills to fix Unity performance in a production game title probably has long left the game dev industry entirely from burnout because they could get any other programming job with better pay and hours at the drop of a hat

The worst issues are entirely amateur poo poo. You don't need a wizard to apply 20 year old rendering optimisations that literally every single 3D artist knows about.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Squido posted:

FINALLY CAUGHT AN ACCIDENT IN PROGRESS!

lol, more traffic accident reports please.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Squido posted:

ghost rider has arrived on scene

:lmao:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah we def need an instant replay option for crashes.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

The worst issues are entirely amateur poo poo. You don't need a wizard to apply 20 year old rendering optimisations that literally every single 3D artist knows about.

It's clearly a time issue not a skill issue

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Having hosed around with building houses on hills, I would really appreciate a mod or update that builds house with supports for the foundation instead of just levelling out the ground and creating a horrible flat monostrosity

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Antigravitas posted:

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and think that they did put in some of those optimizations, there's just a lot of other poo poo going on in a city builder

I'm sure I'm late to linking this and I just missed it in the thread, but from what I gathered reading this the core of a lot of the issues seem to be Unity specific engine architectural issues that would not be so simple to fix, even with time and money

https://blog.paavo.me/cities-skylines-2-performance/#engine-and-architecture

Not to say anything of the egregiously unoptimized character generation engine and the teeth of course, which we all know about at this point - and there is simply no good justification for the Cims to have teeth in this game right now :shrug:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 9, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
These past 2 patches have absolutely hosed my city over and it is too annoying to figure out what is actually wrong without a decent UI with relevant information. Deciding whether to restart or just wait till the fix cargo import/export as well before going again.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress SNEEP posted:

It's clearly a time issue not a skill issue

Is that so?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The idea of rotaries at every entrance was a great one, traffic isn't even flowing any faster but people sure do like inching forward more than they do waiting for a stoplight.

Now I have 100% C demand maxed, still nothing anywhere else except for a hint of light R. Don't think I'm going to fulfill that one given that I've around 300k job openings and 100k workers to do them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

explosivo posted:

It's easy to be always broke if you start a new expansion before the last one has filled up and paid back its initial infrastructure costs in taxes. It's just a matter of him playing slower because he keeps stopping to read and respond to chat while the economy ticks over on max speed

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

It takes like an in-game year for a person to graduate elementary school iirc. If you want your citizens to be wealthy, you have to wait for them to do the needful.

Taking the game at a nice meditative pace and letting things unfold is a good way to play. Don't rush to do everything at once, let things organically work themselves out.

And if that is the case, where you built a ton of schools at once and they aren't keeping up with demand, once they start graduating, you're going to have a surfeit of schools with no students.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I have the opposite problem, everyone and every company is horrifically wealthy and therefore everything is stuck in molasses because land values are so high that no one will move in to work the 15/20 empty slots at the several hundred level 4 gas stations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bulldoze their houses and build a landfill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mandoric posted:

I have the opposite problem, everyone and every company is horrifically wealthy and therefore everything is stuck in molasses because land values are so high that no one will move in to work the 15/20 empty slots at the several hundred level 4 gas stations.

Just gotta get creative.