Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah people just love prison rape jokes in 2023, good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah people just love prison rape jokes in 2023, good one

The 2020's version of OZ is gonna suck real bad.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It'll be set in a norwegian prison, but be panned by american audiences for being too unrealistic and spark another rallying cry against woke media.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Has SBF suggested to the court that he creates a non-fungible token of his physical custody and they place an irreversible entry on the ledger that it is in prison?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Has SBF suggested to the court that he creates a non-fungible token of his physical custody and they place an irreversible entry on the ledger that it is in prison?

We cannot allow someone to become immortal like this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The Lone Badger posted:

We cannot allow someone to become immortal like this.

Jots down “crytobro lich” in TTRPG ideas notebook.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Jots down “crytobro lich” in TTRPG ideas notebook.

Right next to "dipshit Carl Sagan"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
There already has to be a bunch of people who ran campaigns that had a Crypt-Bro Lich in it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In my Hardwired Island campaign I had a corporation abducting people, forcing them into the VR Internet and harnessing their brains to farm gold in World of Warcraft 24/7

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Gort posted:

In my Hardwired Island campaign I had a corporation abducting people, forcing them into the VR Internet and harnessing their brains to farm gold in World of Warcraft 24/7

Were you a co-writer for Pantheon?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Legit surprised this wasn't a link to Neil deGrasse Tyson's wikipedia page.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Legit surprised this wasn't a link to Neil deGrasse Tyson's wikipedia page.

That'd be sexpest Carl Sagan.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Man crushed to death by robot that thought he was a box:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67354709

quote:

A man has been crushed to death by a robot in South Korea after it failed to differentiate him from the boxes of food it was handling, reports say.

The incident occurred when the man, a robotics company employee in his 40s, was inspecting the robot.

The robotic arm, confusing the man for a box of vegetables, grabbed him and pushed his body against the conveyer belt, crushing his face and chest, South Korean news agency Yonhap said.

He was sent to hospital but later died.

According to Yonhap, the robot was responsible for lifting boxes of peppers and transferring them onto pallets.

The man had been checking the robot's sensor operations ahead of its test run at the pepper sorting plant in South Gyeongsang province, scheduled for 8 November, the agency adds, quoting police.

The test had originally been planned for 6 November, but was pushed back by two days due to problems with the robot's sensor.

The man, a worker from the company that manufactured the robotic arm, was running checks on the machine late into the night on Wednesday when it malfunctioned.

In a statement after the incident, an official from the Donggoseong Export Agricultural Complex, which owns the plant, called for a "precise and safe" system to be established.

In March, a South Korean man in his 50s suffered serious injuries after getting trapped by a robot while working at an automobile parts manufacturing plant.

E: it’s not entirely clear if the robot used CV to determine the guy was a box, or if the guy just stepped into the predetermined “box goes here” area and the robot just did what it was programmed to do

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 9, 2023

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: it’s not entirely clear if the robot used CV to determine the guy was a box, or if the guy just stepped into the predetermined “box goes here” area and the robot just did what it was programmed to do

I would assume the latter, and that somebody wrongly assumed the machine was off when it wasn't.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It says he was literally testing the sensors at the time.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They're not working.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Yeah that is a failure of lock-out-tag-out or operating on live equipment procedures.
Something similar happened with a drill rig in QLD, the operator accidently hit the "grab the drill bit, robot arm" button while a worker was still in the line of fire and killed the guy working the floor. https://www.coronerscourt.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/778951/DODUNSKI,-Gareth-Findings.pdf

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not really a tech nightmare thing and more something for the OSHA thread.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What is man but a miserable box of intestines?

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

BabyFur Denny posted:

Not really a tech nightmare thing and more something for the OSHA thread.

Getting crushed to death by a robot is like the stereotypical tech nightmare

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Dubar posted:

Getting crushed to death by a robot is like the stereotypical tech nightmare

This was a case of mishandling heavy equipment.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Nenonen posted:

What is man but a miserable box of intestines?

We’re all just worms with legs

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Begun, the Robot Wars have.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BabyFur Denny posted:

We don't know that. He could have been following all the steps in the safety manual and still got got by the robot arm. Robots when malfunctioning are unpredictable.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Terminator: the machines become too smart and military killing robots attempt to exterminate the human race out of self-preservation

Reality: the machines are extremely stupid and industrial robots exterminate the human race while trying to sort boxes

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BabyFur Denny posted:

You're doing more heavy lifting with your choice of words than that robot ever did.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Freakazoid_ posted:

You're doing more heavy lifting with your choice of words than that robot ever did.

Eh, at some point we have to define what "tech" is, thousands die yearly from non-robotic cars being manually operated. Is that "tech"? If someone's clothing gets caught on the conveyor belt and get a one-way trip to the grain elevator, is that "tech"? In this case, the robot was undergoing maintenance, so, while a tragedy, I do not believe is a "nightmare".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If “jitney cabs but hailed via the Internet” is a tech nightmare, like not even the “autonomous” ones, industrial robots certainly are.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
YouTube has also increased the price of their subscription.

And my homebrewed cocktail of 5 different adblockers stopped working, I added a few more and now they work, but only in incognito mode. I'm still holding on to Chrome, but I may have to switch.

I guess they are really struggling in some other area and need to squeeze money from wherever they can?

Or it's just a general "ad supported content is not profitable" trend.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nemo posted:

YouTube has also increased the price of their subscription.

And my homebrewed cocktail of 5 different adblockers stopped working, I added a few more and now they work, but only in incognito mode. I'm still holding on to Chrome, but I may have to switch.

I guess they are really struggling in some other area and need to squeeze money from wherever they can?

Or it's just a general "ad supported content is not profitable" trend.

Ad supported content is more profitable if you watch the ads

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Eh, depends on more factors than just that, but good joke man.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Ad supported content is more profitable if you watch the ads

No

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nemo posted:

Eh, depends on more factors than just that, but good joke man.

I mean, it's not a joke, it's literally why they want you to watch the ads. Numbers always have to go up to make wall street happy and they've crammed as many ads as they can into the content already so they're increasing the number of people watching the ads. The profit or losses they currently make are irrelevant except in comparison to the numbers for next quarter

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mr. Nemo posted:

Apparently it’s more reliable to just stick with uBlock Origin and no other adblockers, as they seem to interfere with one another. Firefox with uBlock is pretty much a one-and-done solution for the time being, though.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

If “jitney cabs but hailed via the Internet” is a tech nightmare, like not even the “autonomous” ones, industrial robots certainly are.

Eeeeeeeh, X, but via a dumb app is kind of the thread's bread and butter. I will admit that "non-novel industrial accidents" do not have their own thread, and therefore this is currently the best place for them.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

We don't know that. He could have been following all the steps in the safety manual and still got got by the robot arm. Robots when malfunctioning are unpredictable.
Basic safety practice for doing maintenance on a robot arm on a factory floor involves locking out motion while humans are around (in a "physically disconnect electric/pneumatic/hydraulic power" way, not an "nicely ask the controls not to move" way)

It's possible this factory was failing basic safety standards in their procedures, but not too likely. It's much more likely the guy skipped locking out since he was in a hurry and it was fine the last 99 times he did that (and probably his boss was leaning on him to work fast and willing to look away from safety violations)

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Jose Valasquez posted:

I mean, it's not a joke, it's literally why they want you to watch the ads. Numbers always have to go up to make wall street happy and they've crammed as many ads as they can into the content already so they're increasing the number of people watching the ads. The profit or losses they currently make are irrelevant except in comparison to the numbers for next quarter

Just in the interets of conversation, it also depends on people clicking on the ads, and buying the things shown in the ads.

It could mathematically be possible that increasing the number of eyeballs with people tech savvy enough to install an ad blocker could lead to shittier results.

I'd hope we'd be beyond youtube showing higher "impressions" on their ads and shareholders being impressed.

Just tried removing everything but ublock and it didn't work, Firefox here we go i guess.

Edit: switching to firefox was easy, and just ublock blocks youtube's adds. It didn't import the correct chrome profile by default, i had to do a few extra clicks in settings for that but quite simple really

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 10, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tnega posted:

Eh, at some point we have to define what "tech" is, thousands die yearly from non-robotic cars being manually operated. Is that "tech"? If someone's clothing gets caught on the conveyor belt and get a one-way trip to the grain elevator, is that "tech"? In this case, the robot was undergoing maintenance, so, while a tragedy, I do not believe is a "nightmare".

I'm somewhat inclined to agree, but the core of it feels like "how is tech making our lives worse for the sake of someone's pocketbook" - like at some point that grain elevator example very much fit this definition.

But that definition is so broad as to be meaningless, so I'm inclined to agree with a "novel ways" clarification.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

all tech nightmares are capitalism nightmares with extra screws so it's a tech nightmare. and at the same time the machine certainly wasn't using ML object recognition because dumb is faster. the dream of less efficiency can be sold to investors but nobody's gonna run it on the factory floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Foxfire_ posted:

Basic safety practice for doing maintenance on a robot arm on a factory floor involves locking out motion while humans are around (in a "physically disconnect electric/pneumatic/hydraulic power" way, not an "nicely ask the controls not to move" way)

It's possible this factory was failing basic safety standards in their procedures, but not too likely. It's much more likely the guy skipped locking out since he was in a hurry and it was fine the last 99 times he did that (and probably his boss was leaning on him to work fast and willing to look away from safety violations)

Possibly as he was working late there was just a miscommunication/lack of sleep and he thought it already had been locked out, although with proper safety protocols in place there should of been an easy way for him to check, and that should of been a thing he should of done.

Also outside possibility the machine was Steven King'esqly possessed by evil and what not, and just has a thirst for blood. Safety inspections rarely catch that.