Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I play unranked with friends, and ranked alone. Surprisingly, my unranked games are a lot more difficult/sweaty. I think having large skill gaps across players has something g to do with it.

Is there a hidden MMR for unranked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think I've seen like a single Dark Willow core in my games since TI. Even the pro teams themselves seemed to have figured out it wasn't very good/reliable enough. There was that one LGD (?) game where it looked super strong and everyone jumped on it before bailing ship.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Is there a hidden MMR for unranked?

For sure. I only play unranked and while I encounter lots of chodes and some idiots, I haven't encountered any genuinely new players who don't know how to MOBA in a very long time

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 9, 2023

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Wouldn't be surprised if there was a separate from your ranked number or a separately uncertainty value, but unranked definitely allows a wider range for matching. Theoretically the gap should be either shared by both teams or the average should be close to the same. They've changed the way matchmaking has worked a lot in the last couple of years and they've been less explicit about the details in the more recent iterations.

If you get dota plus you get extra rank points, though. And Roshan spawns when you look for him more often. And your damage rolls are higher.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Playing unranked always has a couple of immortals in my games rolling poo poo like windranger aghs and uggghh. Also, disrespectful lone druid last pickers

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Fine you guys win I just reinstalled it. My kid has a slight more powerful laptop so I put a profile for myself on it and it's downloading dotes now. I don't have work tomorrow so I'm gonna stay up and Dota. Anyone want to play

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I quit Dota when my oldest daughter was born, and got back into after about 5 years later. Such is life.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fine you guys win I just reinstalled it.

:hellyeah:

Played and won another unranked game last night with Mid Zeus. I used a build I saw Qojqva use, with Kaya -> Philacerty (?) -> Shard -> Moon shard, and by 35 minutes I was blasting down everyone. It was a lot of fun.

One problem, the ingame guides don't load. I see a lot of people complaining about it, but no specific fix.

I just played my first match in a couple of days and this post made me go Phylactery Shard Zeus. It was great fun.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Fine you guys win I just reinstalled it. My kid has a slight more powerful laptop so I put a profile for myself on it and it's downloading dotes now. I don't have work tomorrow so I'm gonna stay up and Dota. Anyone want to play

If you haven’t tried it, give a serious look at turbo mode. The games take half as long and are pretty much nonstop action. It’s a great way to get the Dota fix without quite as much of a time commitment.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I quit Dota when my oldest daughter was born, and got back into after about 5 years later. Such is life.

Same. Three kids, stopped three times.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Beef posted:

Same. Three kids, stopped three times.

I stopped when I decided to get more serious about playing golf. I can only suck at one hobby at a time.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I've been clean for over a year now. I've lost 40 pounds, my GPA has gone up by a full point, and everyone who knows me notes that I generally seem happier and less stressed.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Perfect time to hop back in

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just one game can’t hurt, right?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Perfect mindset to get some wind imo

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Played a Mid Zeus and then a Dual Offlane Core as a WK, and I absolutely wreck them. Zeus with that build is a low rank pub destroyer, and WK is unstoppable once you get going. It's wild.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:sickos:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The WK game, we picked three cores (mid QoP, Huskar that I assumed was P3, and then I picked WK safelane with a Lich sup). Then the guy last picked a Sven and went safelane and started yelling at me. I ended up going Offlane, and Huskar and I had our own CS battle for a bit and whenever the enemy Weaver popped up, we turned, killed him, and went back to our own CS stuggle.

it's hard to CS against a Huskar in general, let alone an allied one.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

had our own CS battle for a bit and whenever the enemy Weaver popped up, we turned, killed him, and went back to our own CS stuggle.

it's hard to CS against a Huskar in general, let alone an allied one.

That's probably the better way to play any lane when you're in super low MMR games. If your core is only getting half their cs, it's wasting gold NOT to fight them for it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mortimer Knag posted:

That's probably the better way to play any lane when you're in super low MMR games. If your core is only getting half their cs, it's wasting gold NOT to fight them for it.

I was trying to practice support, but in low rank pubs everyone is carry so it's impossible. You end up with everyone at the same level in games that never end, so you get to have fun with supports, like I got a WD to level 25, six slotted, and he just slapped.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

It's not great but wk and Sven can be ok 4s with the reliable stuns. Wks ult can be pretty good in a treamfight without items and it let's you initiate without too much fear. Sing used to play roaming Sven a bit. The WK aghs is kinda fun. Definitely not an ideal use of the hero, but huskar and Sven and a mid qop definitely need some farm to work.

But hey don't forget that anything can work in dota, especially in poop tier. No one is efficient enough at farming so everyone usually has a chance to get a bit of cash. In turbo pretty much everyone builds as a core so that's sometimes fun too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Speaking of absolute Pub Destroyers, have you looked at Riki? At level 6 you just become invisible permanently (well, except for when Attacking).

Early on when nobody knows to buy a Sentry Ward or Dust of Appearance you just pop up and murder their squishy supports repeatedly and forever.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Also Riki is the only(?) hero to have an exp boost built in from kills so you snowball even harder

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; I'm probably wrong

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Lol I got farmed by a riki one game. I had sentries but instead of placing it, I dropped it. He destroyed it, killed me, all chatted lol and then tipped me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lol I got farmed by a riki one game. I had sentries but instead of placing it, I dropped it. He destroyed it, killed me, all chatted lol and then tipped me.

Making mistakes is the path to wisdom.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

idk what it is but i have never done anything but suck rear end as wk. those are the games where people start saying im throwing or whatever and im just like yeah i dont get it im better with heroes that are supposed to be more complicated but i cant get a feel for him at all

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I've been absolutely terrorizing turbo games lately with mid Dazzle but I'm scared to jump back to real games after several months away

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

I've been absolutely terrorizing turbo games lately with mid Dazzle but I'm scared to jump back to real games after several months away

embrace the turbo, stack with friends and do stupid buillshit

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the friend who's most into dota hates turbo because "it's not real dota" lol

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Sab669 posted:

Speaking of absolute Pub Destroyers, have you looked at Riki? At level 6 you just become invisible permanently (well, except for when Attacking).

Early on when nobody knows to buy a Sentry Ward or Dust of Appearance you just pop up and murder their squishy supports repeatedly and forever.

I remember when I first started the game a long time ago, one match in particular stood out to me. We were fighting against a Riki and bought detection and every time we killed him he was like “wtf how do you guys see me?”

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bawfuls posted:

None of Dota is real.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I kinda get it though. The pace and income is all hosed so heroes that have earlyish timings have a very small window to pull something off. And you don't have a lot of room to keep a game close. Like if early game is kinda even in a normal game, you can win and lose a couple fights and the snowball isn't as inevitable.

That being said, turbo is fun. I feel like games are still only like ten minutes shorter on average, though. Had a bunch of them go way longer than I thought they should.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 11, 2023

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

This is me as well

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bawfuls posted:

He ain't wrong :colbert:

I've never done the seasonal game modes like Aghanim's Lab or whatever either

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there's something to be said for playing the mode the patches are based on. Turbo feels really hosed up to play if you mostly play ranked

I think I would like turbo more if it were more comprehensively reworked from the normal game. If the goal was to make a mode where it's similar to normal dota but has pretty short games, make it more similar to one of those seasonal modes like nemestice (but without the goofy shard mechanic) where there's a ~15-20 min timer running and only extreme outliers can keep the game going beyond 20. Or get rid of at least one layer of outer towers and shrink the whole map and put the base on low ground.

The way it is now, it's giving turbo grinders delusions of having their own ranked mode

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Turbo's balance is completely hosed

BUT

the vast majority of Dota players are not actually good enough players that the screwy balance actually matters to them. So whatever.
(I guess the problem might be if you play a lot of turbo and normal games some bad habits might bleed into each mode but again, not a good enough player for it to really matter)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
if you wanna play turbo just play league of legends

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
ability draft is the best mode

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Surprisingly true actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Don’t worry all I had to do was post about it and my turbo win streak came to an end, thus preparing me for losses in normal games again. The system works.