Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

He’s closer to burrow and mahomes!

Why are they lying face down on the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Calling it now, but Bryce is going to absolutely ball out against the nonexistent bears defense.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Actually it’s not funny. It’s bad and sad.

I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

wandler20 posted:

The chart is very funny when comparing Young and Stroud.

https://twitter.com/HaydenWinks/status/1722647501390692626?s=20

Man the little bama boys could not be more different

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I went back and watched the whole Houston game via condensed - admittedly the first whole Houston game I've seen this season - and the thing that really stood out to me was the level of protection Stroud was getting. He had plenty of time to sit in the pocket and survey practically all his reads on nearly every snap. I wasn't really blown away with anything he did until late in the third quarter. You give that level of protection to any above average QB and they're going to perform well.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Coleridge Bernard Stroud IV

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Calling it now, but Bryce is going to absolutely ball out against the nonexistent bears defense.

The colts had given up like 35 points in three straight games and shut the panthers down.

Bryce’s best game this season was a 15 point explosion against Houston.

It’s the moveable object v the stoppable force

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I went back and watched the whole Houston game via condensed - admittedly the first whole Houston game I've seen this season - and the thing that really stood out to me was the level of protection Stroud was getting. He had plenty of time to sit in the pocket and survey practically all his reads on nearly every snap. I wasn't really blown away with anything he did until late in the third quarter. You give that level of protection to any above average QB and they're going to perform well.

Bowles could not generate any kind of pass rush against a bunch of backups which says a lot about his scheme. I think I read somewhere he took around 3.1 seconds to throw and the average is around 2.5 so yeah, he was getting a lot of time to throw and boy did he deliver.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wandler20 posted:

Bowles could not generate any kind of pass rush against a bunch of backups which says a lot about his scheme. I think I read somewhere he took around 3.1 seconds to throw and the average is around 2.5 so yeah, he was getting a lot of time to throw and boy did he deliver.

Hilariously Kancey finally got quick pressure on that last TD and it didnt matter

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

wandler20 posted:

The chart is very funny when comparing Young and Stroud.

https://twitter.com/HaydenWinks/status/1722647501390692626?s=20

As a question -- is that Dobbs rating just focused on his Cardinals stint this year or is it including this week's Vikings-Falcons game?

Which is such a weird-rear end question to have to ask, but here we are.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's the difference between the two numbers? Does the Y axis count YAC and X is where they caught it?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

HootTheOwl posted:

What's the difference between the two numbers? Does the Y axis count YAC and X is where they caught it?

Upper left quadrant is essentially YAC boosted, bottom left is 3 yd curls on 3 and 5, the right hand side is Unleashing the Dragon with the upper right being successfully unleashing the dragon and the bottom right being bad Sexy Rexy. The deltas between the X&Y on the right hand side are interesting. Like Tua looks like he’s throwing it deeper than the yards he’s getting which means someone’s losing yards somewhere or they’re incompletes. Jordan Love seems to love hucking it deep but is not actually getting those yards.

Meanwhile CJ Stroud loves going deep and he’s getting nearly all of them completed WHICH IS WILD

Purdy loves going intermediate and then gets boosted by great YAC. I think Purdy’s actually getting the most YAC out of his guys which checks out. Mahomes is close.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 9, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://x.com/WinksTape/status/1721566938466545943?s=20

the processing is so elite

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Trust the Processing

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

not to be mean but let's see what CJ Stroud does with this kind of coverage

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1721277429447360733#m

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

AndrewP posted:

not to be mean but let's see what CJ Stroud does with this kind of coverage

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1721277429447360733#m

BlindSite really hit the nail on the head with the org analysis. The Texans are in a very strong position for this because Stroud showed up just AFTER their extended purge of the incompetent GM and coaches (and also Lovie Smith, who does not deserve to be called incompetent). So it's not just what Stroud does with that coverage, it's also "what Stroud's O-line, and O coordination, does with that coverage".

The pressure/sack rate and target depth are real hints at where the underlying problems undermining Young are. The kid's getting eaten alive out there and the coordination is giving him nothing to work with.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Meanwhile CJ Stroud loves going deep and he’s getting nearly all of them completed WHICH IS WILD

Is that actually the implication? I'm waaaayyyy over simplifying here, rounding down to 10, and a dumbass to boot, but hypothetically

1. 2/2 w/ a pair of 10 yard 0 YAC completions
2. 1/2 w/ a 5 yard completion + 15 YAC and a 15 yard incomplete
3. 1/2 w/ a 15 yard completion + 5 YAC and a 5 yard incomplete

would all give you an average target depth of 10 and a YPA of 10.

Not trying to make a point about Stroud in particular or anything, just that I'm not sure that depth of target by itself is actually all that useful a context tool without actually having YAC/completion %/etc. If the point is to measure "QB Aggressiveness" I think it'd probably be better to just make a chart with % of passes over 10 yards or 20 yards or whatever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dutchy posted:

Is that actually the implication? I'm waaaayyyy over simplifying here, rounding down to 10, and a dumbass to boot, but hypothetically

1. 2/2 w/ a pair of 10 yard 0 YAC completions
2. 1/2 w/ a 5 yard completion + 15 YAC and a 15 yard incomplete
3. 1/2 w/ a 15 yard completion + 5 YAC and a 5 yard incomplete

would all give you an average target depth of 10 and a YPA of 10.

Not trying to make a point about Stroud in particular or anything, just that I'm not sure that depth of target by itself is actually all that useful a context tool without actually having YAC/completion %/etc. If the point is to measure "QB Aggressiveness" I think it'd probably be better to just make a chart with % of passes over 10 yards or 20 yards or whatever.

its because all of those charts, like every single "advanced statistic" people try to apply to football, are fake and meaningless

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's insane how many stupid charts numbers idiots need to figure out that Bryce Young has no time in the pocket whatsoever and is a rookie.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Alaois posted:

its because all of those charts, like every single "advanced statistic" people try to apply to football, are fake and meaningless

I mostly agree but I calculated the % of passes guys were throwing over 20 yards, as I suggested in my last post, just out of curiosity and liked what it told me so that one is good

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Panthers call static routes all loving day and their receivers are too slow to threaten corners and even linebackers for that to work.

The whole idea of a static route is for the receiver to scream up field, and stop when the corner turns his hips for an easy pitch and catch.

There were 10 instances in colts game. 10 that I counted where the corners just gentle back peddled and held tight coverage.

Right now Bryce is driving a 3 wheeled diesel 1974 land rover while everyone else is in an Indy car and you're all going, "this guys supposed to be a good driver".

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Agreed. Bobby Slowik for HC, on a condition that he doesn’t delegate the OC role like Brian Daboll

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's really odd to see other franchises labeled worse than the Texans when they were the absolute laughing stock of the league (on and off the field) for like four years.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

When is Ross posting the updated qb rankings?

Stroud better be top ten!!!

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Kirios posted:

It's really odd to see other franchises labeled worse than the Texans when they were the absolute laughing stock of the league (on and off the field) for like four years.

The Raiders have been the laughing stock of the league for 20 years and running, hth

The only team with less wins over that span is the Browns. Hue Jackson sure did a number on that team, lmao

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 10, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kirios posted:

Panthers have been the worst team in the league over that span.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Kirios posted:

I'm sorry the lack of mockery offends you

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bryce bad

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

really queer Christmas posted:

I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad.

That Fiz and BlindSite are 'crying cause Young is pretty bad

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

late, short, and covered

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Can Bryce, like, throw? Or was that some Saban mind trick?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe Bryce came down with hardcore clinical depression because he just looks like he does not want to be playing football at any point

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.sportsinfosolutions.com/2023/11/08/bryce-young-was-a-college-legend-but-hes-not-a-good-fit-for-the-pros/

just found this article which is basically making my point from the GDT, someone get me a writing job

quote:

It would be one thing if Young was struggling early and had some bankable traits, but this is what happens when you take size outliers with no distinguishing qualities outside of collegiate production. Kyler Murray may be tiny, but at least he runs a 4.3 and can throw the football a country mile. What’s Young got up his sleeve? He was a ‘winner’ and a ‘playmaker’ in college?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Alaois posted:

maybe Bryce came down with hardcore clinical depression because he just looks like he does not want to be playing football at any point

he sees what everyone else does

well, as long as no one 5'11 is in the way

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Alaois posted:

maybe Bryce came down with hardcore clinical depression

ah, finally a QB I can relate to

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i apologize for psoting in the wrong thread. i think some people were talking about the panthers and bears game in here, but if they weren't, it's still not my fault

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
bryce can be good if they load him up with steroids this offseason but hes the smallest person ive ever seen on an nfl field

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I am deeply sorry Panthers fans that your number 1 overall QB is worse than an undrafted nobody.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

R.D. Mangles posted:

He did not, in fact, absolutely ball out against the nonexistent Bears defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012