Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://old.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/17rpilk/a_conceptual_view_of_a_uap_reverse_engineering/k8kwaul/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

This is the first time I've been happy that privatization has hosed up something the government could have just done

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I suppose for me it's hard to understand thinking there's an acceptable amount of threatening you can be. Humans narrowly wiped out poo poo like prairie dogs just for being annoying, not even outright hostile. Maybe it's fine in the perspective of the higher beings for the poo poo apes to shoot down a couple of research drones, but it's impossible to gauge what is socially and culturally acceptable to these beings compared to what we think is okay

Oh no for sure it is a completely unhinged thing to do as far as I am concerned but also exactly in line with how these types think, especially from that generation. There were a lot of analogous things that took place during the cold war where both sides did things that were technically an act of war but not worth actually going to war over. Calculated risk. As you say though it's different when the other side is an unknowable alien intelligence and it's a hell of a risk to take.

Holy poo poo.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Pro read

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the marine who had the experience with a supposed UFO crash in peru also talked about purple goop everywhere at the crash site

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I want to hear more about the biologics.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol that trumps gonna have to do disclosure

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

bedpan posted:

the marine who had the experience with a supposed UFO crash in peru also talked about purple goop everywhere at the crash site

no loving way

:vince:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

seems extremely plausible for fiction lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

pancake rabbit posted:

no loving way

:vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU8alQ3Daaw&t=400s

link goes to the part where he starts talking about this

quote:

it was dripping this syrup-like liquid. It was everywhere, all down everywhere when we went down there. It was weird it was a purplish green color [or] greenish purple. . .kinda like fluctuated. . .every time you looked at it you saw a different shade of greenish purple

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

bedpan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU8alQ3Daaw&t=400s

link goes to the part where he starts talking about this

lol and like a minute later he talks about how on one side of the craft there were "vents, kind of like fish gills, looked like they could have maybe been used for propulsion"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

pancake rabbit posted:

lol and like a minute later he talks about how on one side of the craft there were "vents, kind of like fish gills, looked like they could have maybe been used for propulsion"

he's also talking about creatures in it tho

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Crazy Aaron’s Thinking Puddy was disclosure on space goo.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Whoa. If this is fiction, then the guy has done a ton of research, sure. But what is really interesting to me about this piece is the specific tone and overall construction of it. It doesn't read like fiction, it reads like a history. Certainly not impossible to do, but it'd require someone with real knowledge of how to craft a story in such a journalistic way and yet resist "telling" it/maintain that tone throughout without slipping.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Everytime I hear NHI I think back to

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn15019-computer-circuit-built-from-brain-cells/

Growing braincells on computer hardware completely divorced of every other aspect that makes one human seems like it is an easy way to classify as not human.

I'm thinking that it is cheaper to grow brain cells and interact with the electrodes to problem solve than it would be making a quantum computer (more stable to). It's been nearly 20 years since this article.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/631234

This one a few years ago.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Random factoid: Greenish purple, or purplish green, is the color of magic (octarine) in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

skyranger real

xcom was disclosure

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Forgot there is a section where yiu fight aliens in majoras mask and failing is really hosed up

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm just halfway through this article and gently caress im vibrating irl, it's the first time I'm seeing this Calvine photo and it's freaking epic. all Kirkpatricks style of guys need to kick rocks.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

quote:

Two C-130s were equipped with giant nets and flew in front of one of the predictable sphere’s flight patterns. The sphere simply stopped, turned, and flew around them with ease.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

(accidentaly fires a AIM-9X Sidewinder missile into my cavorite filled experimental craft with a 100% accuracy rate) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/1947]

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

The Demilich posted:

(accidentaly fires a AIM-9X Sidewinder missile into my cavorite filled experimental craft with a 100% accuracy rate) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/1947]

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Demilich posted:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Just tonight after dusk, I helped three trapped animals leave the boundaries of my household.

The first was a housefly that must have slipped in from a crack in the screen. It appeared on my computer desk in the glow of my monitor and walked a few inches away from my computer mouse, where it remained until I could retrieve a large tall drinking glass and a slip of paper to cover it up for a safe delivery outside from the balcony. The fly did not protest at any stage.

The second, an hour later, was an adult wolf spider dropping down on a web tether between my face and my monitor, dangling for a second, and then crawling back up after I asked 'whoa what's up friend' (a big step for me as an arachnophobe). Spider sat on the ceiling and watched me turn on the lights, get the cup and the paper and a chair and let me scoop it up and drop it outside on the balcony too, just like the fly, no probemo.

The third animal I only noticed in need of my help on the way back from letting out the spider, and it was my sickly cat who had collapsed from a bout of internal organ failure that would prove to be fatal. i stayed with him and tended to his vocalisms and held him in my arms during his lasts mortal breaths. He did not die alone or unloved.

What a day. Tonight I helped three animal leave the boundaries of my household.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Google Butt posted:

I'm just halfway through this article and gently caress im vibrating irl, it's the first time I'm seeing this Calvine photo and it's freaking epic. all Kirkpatricks style of guys need to kick rocks.

Never forget the Calvine photo is supposedly a picture of an island

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Fantastic

Lux Anima posted:

Just tonight after dusk, I helped three trapped animals leave the boundaries of my household.

The first was a housefly that must have slipped in from a crack in the screen. It appeared on my computer desk in the glow of my monitor and walked a few inches away from my computer mouse, where it remained until I could retrieve a large tall drinking glass and a slip of paper to cover it up for a safe delivery outside from the balcony. The fly did not protest at any stage.

The second, an hour later, was an adult wolf spider dropping down on a web tether between my face and my monitor, dangling for a second, and then crawling back up after I asked 'whoa what's up friend' (a big step for me as an arachnophobe). Spider sat on the ceiling and watched me turn on the lights, get the cup and the paper and a chair and let me scoop it up and drop it outside on the balcony too, just like the fly, no probemo.

The third animal I only noticed in need of my help on the way back from letting out the spider, and it was my sickly cat who had collapsed from a bout of internal organ failure that would prove to be fatal. i stayed with him and tended to his vocalisms and held him in my arms during his lasts mortal breaths. He did not die alone or unloved.

I'm sorry for your loss friend, I'm glad you were there for then though

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

LuckyCat posted:

I’ve been hovering back and forth on whether I should quit weed or not. My logic brain says there’s nothing wrong with recreational smoking, but my broken religion brain is like “what if that’s a sin!!” and my ufo brain says “what if it lowers your vibration!!” and my anxiety says “please don’t quit smoking ohgod.” and then I think about how I used to just believe in science and life was so much simpler lol. Anyone else itt think in similar patterns to me?
Follow your heart, self-examine things like societal guilts and pressures regarding your choices for recreation, and put some trust in whatever the plant teacher(s) in your life might try to tell you, whether that's daily weed-smoking, a 'special occasion high', or even just the inner needs and hungers of your gut biome.

If there was a single drug that humanity should want to take offplanet, it would be marijuana by my vote by far. Meanwhile, alcohol helped humanity have clean potable liquids for a good while, but there are clouds of ethanol floating out there in space... :beerpal:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

The Demilich posted:

remember when they were like 'it was sky trash! there's sky trash all the freakin' way up there! the size of bouncy castles! and yeah, we shot it with a missile!'

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i watch the bats most nights and they always fly either south or south west over me but tonight every single one is flying north and its a bit unsettling!

you could set a watch and compass by those guys usually but this night they are all going the wrong loving way

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

maybe the taurid cloud is loving with them. its certainly not a tsunami or the like

this is melbourne btw. they usally head towards tasmania roughly but tonight they are going to the fkn gold coast

Sleekly has issued a correction as of 11:10 on Nov 10, 2023

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Thanks everyone, I'm just having bad night and as the sage Adam Duritz says "the price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings." I appreciate all of you :unsmith:

I'm a Buddhist but a bad one when I fall off the wagon.

Anyone ever had a dream that is so powerful that you're crying in your dream and wake up in tears?

i'm sorry you are struggling, forums friend, but goddamn that is a good song and you made me remember it for the first time in years and now i am listening to it. so even in the most insignificant actions we can improve others' experiences. thanks for that!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Sleekly posted:

i watch the bats most nights and they always fly either south or south west over me but tonight every single one is flying north and its a bit unsettling!

you could set a watch and compass by those guys usually but this night they are all going the wrong loving way

so long and thanks for all the uh bugs? fruit? anyway see ya bat friends.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

so long and thanks for all the uh bugs? fruit? anyway see ya bat friends.

its quite disconerting! i trust the animals and this is weird or some odd rare ritual the fruitbats have im ignorant of

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

but my gut says the taurid cloud is doing it somehow so its probably fine its just i guess ontologically shocking to see a bunch of beings doing the opposite of what they usually do

it looks like struggling flight too, that may just be me, less gliding and more battling to go the wrong way

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lux Anima posted:

Thank you

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Lux Anima posted:

i dont have words for this but i feel it

sorry and also good work

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

holy loving poo poo it's real

we got the actual story

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The Demilich posted:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As funny as it is that the shoot down of the tic tac was accidental because they weren’t read in, part of me wonders if they knew exactly what they were doing to force the hand on the issue.