Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man I’m starting to worry about Bryce. That was two straight awful games from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

he's getting worse every week

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm sorry panthers fans but as a Bears fan and therefore expert in Doomed Quarterbacks, you're hosed.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I err toward yeah; totally hosed

The thing is, they won’t know for a few years because this coach is obviously toast, and then you’ll have a new system and hopefully a new offensive personnel, at which point maybe Bryce develops. But poo poo, it’s a bad situation stacked against a guy who already had some glaring deficiencies along with his upside.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
How am I so sad and so ambivalent at the same time.

Edit: not the nfcs thread. Whatever, applies here too

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 10, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't watch this drat tyson bagent and his lame checkdown rear end with his about his dumb armwrestling dad anymore, justin needs to come back so i can be thrilled for exactly two minutes until i watch him hold onto the ball for eight seconds before running directly into the nearest defensive lineman.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Today isn't on Bryce. We're calling perimeter screens on 3rd and 15 to receivers who barely run a 4.5 40. Thielen dropped 2 first downs with YAC potential. Bryce made maybe two or three bad throws the entire game. This offensive play calling and execution is loving dire. The offensive line is so confused about who to block they block no one. The receivers couldn't separate with a restraining order and the running game averaged about 10 yards a quarter. It's loving pathetic and putrid.

We converted 2 third downs by the time we took the field for the final drive and both were Bryce improvising. We're in Chicago territory and the games on the line - inside 2 minutes, Young's 3 for 3 on 4th downs and Reich calls a 60 yard field goal.

But yeah, nah it's Bryce's play - its insane.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Some of it was on Bryce dude

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Some of it was on Bryce dude

10% of it. But he'll get 90% of the blame.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it was the scheme's fault that bryce overthrows most of his short and intermediate passes and also throws multiple balls right into defenders hands that they graciously drop to not hurt his feelings

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

His two over throws moving off platform to clear a free rusher, terrace Marshall stopping on a route again and one bad read on a linebacker in a disguised drop back.

Oh the horror! An 8 game vet threw 1 almost interception.

The running backs contributed 25 yards for an average of 1.9 loving yards per carry and the receivers dropped 9 catchable balls.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 10, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I’m going to point out that Andy Dalton started one full game for the Panthers this year which was their highest point total of the year: 27 pts

He put up this statline with the same offense, o-line, and receivers:

361 yds 58.6% completion 6.2 y/a 2 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

Bryce hasn’t hit 250yds in a single game this year including the Detroit one where they were getting blown out so he had a chance to put up garbage time stats

Like the offense is badly designed, badly called, and the talent is poo poo but Bryce has not once shown the ability to put up even an Andy Dalton level game with this same offense. Or put another way what exactly is Bryce bringing to the table to get excited about if you do put him in a different offense? Is it accuracy, vision, arm strength, off platform throws, running ability? Bc tonight he and Bagent looked like the same level of QB.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 10, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I’m going to point out that Andy Dalton started one full game for the Panthers this year which was their highest point total of the year: 27 pts

He put up this statline with the same offense, o-line, and receivers:

361 yds 58.6% completion 6.2 y/a 2 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

Bryce hasn’t hit 250yds in a single game this year including the Detroit one where they were getting blown out so he had a chance to put up garbage time stats

Like the offense is badly designed, badly called, and the talent is poo poo but Bryce has not once shown the ability to put up even an Andy Dalton level game with this same offense. Or put another way what exactly is Bryce bringing to the table to get excited about if you do put him in a different offense? Is it accuracy, vision, arm strength, off platform throws, running ability? Bc tonight he and Bagent looked like the same level of QB.

DJ chark housed a 50 yarder out of nothing matched on a linebacker. Dalton still averaged 5.5 that game. The offense is anaemic.

The line also gave up like 4 pressures that game. It helps you find receivers if you're not under duress up the middle immediately.

The longest gain this game was 44 yards to someone who'll be in the usfl in 6 months.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

/immediately runs to his right out of the pocket

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He did not, in fact, absolutely ball out against the nonexistent Bears defense.

He willed Bears defense into existence

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.chicagobears.com/video/highlight-tyrique-stevenson-breaks-up-bryce-young-s-third-down-sideline-throw
This is the most picked on CB in all of football because he's both a rookie and bad.
Young could not pick on him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BlindSite, I respect the really well-thought and well-written analysis, but I have to ask: How did you, a purebred Australian, become such a fan of an NFL team in ... Charlotte, North Carolina, in the first place?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The worst thing about Young's performance imo was the inaccuracy. He should not be missing open guys so much. Like yeah once in a while every QB fucks up a throw or sails one, but he was doing it over and over again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bryce has hit one go route all season.

It was a badly under thrown ball that thielen had to come back for and catch over a defenders helmet. Most of the time his attempts go out of bounds.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think if this Panthers offense is going to work he needs to start throwing on time and getting the ball out fast.

The Bengals offense has great receivers, but I don't think Zac Taylor is all that good at scheming guys open. What makes it work is that Joe Burrow is never EVER late on a throw. He hits his back foot and bam the ball is out every play. That small window of a guy being open before the CB can recover is all he needs.

Rewatching some of these plays on the Amazon all-22, this offense has even less margin for error and Young always hesitates at the bottom of his drop. Also it would help to be reliably accurate.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That hesitation kills QBs in the NFL. He has to immediately stop doing that or he's not gonna be the guy.

So what if you get picked off from time to time. It's already a lost season. You have to learn that timing - it's probably the most important thing for a NFL quarterback.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Is the QB bad, or is it the team

This eternal question has plagued humanity from the beginning, and we are none closer to the answer as both sides continue to wage war, unable to yield, unwilling to concede, refusing to see the truth

Both things are true

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I think if this Panthers offense is going to work he needs to start throwing on time and getting the ball out fast.

The Bengals offense has great receivers, but I don't think Zac Taylor is all that good at scheming guys open. What makes it work is that Joe Burrow is never EVER late on a throw. He hits his back foot and bam the ball is out every play. That small window of a guy being open before the CB can recover is all he needs.

Rewatching some of these plays on the Amazon all-22, this offense has even less margin for error and Young always hesitates at the bottom of his drop. Also it would help to be reliably accurate.

Yeah, I think Bryce's internal clock is totally hosed right now, and that's the biggest issue holding him back. It's very Sam-Darnold-seeing-ghosts, which is unfortunate but also understandable with how the OL has performed this season. Hopefully he can get some faith and confidence back, because the OL has actually started to come around a bit with some guys returning from injury.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

He needs to just start letting it rip early. Interceptions are bad but sacks are somehow more demoralizing to me for rookies.

It'd be a different story if he had the ability to get creative and do the playground QB thing, but right now he is not at all scary when he has to bail from the pocket. So maybe start trying to throw on schedule.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

AndrewP posted:

He needs to just start letting it rip early. Interceptions are bad but sacks are somehow more demoralizing to me for rookies.

It'd be a different story if he had the ability to get creative and do the playground QB thing, but right now he is not at all scary when he has to bail from the pocket. So maybe start trying to throw on schedule.

Ironically, our run game has been so loving bad that Bryce's scrambles have quite literally been one of the most effective parts of it. And yeah, that's less of a compliment and way more of an indictment.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bryce missed some wide open reads and made some bad passes. He might end up being good but he's looked bad these past two weeks against some pretty mediocre to bad defenses

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bears dropped two pick sixes last night.

One was to a quadruple covered receiver.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
He looks like Little Mac trying to fight Mike Tyson out there. Just bobbing and jumping on his happy feet and putting his entire body into a 5 yard pass that wildly misses his receiver

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He's too short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkeLkORd2y4&t=45s

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hey, let's not pick on Bagent by saying he's as bad as Young.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

AndrewP posted:

He converted 3 3rd downs and 3 4th downs by getting outside the pocket and creating.

Hes hesitating at the top of his drop because everyone's covered.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watching a whole Panthers game for the first time thoughts:

Bryce was getting bullied real bad and the refs weren't calling it. Constant late knock downs. Their line is complete rear end and looks worse than the Giants' somehow. Just a lack of talent. They're all gigantic but get shoved around like kids. The play calling was atrocious. They're trying to run speed concepts where they think their geriatric WRs and slow rookies can beat people to their spot. Reminds me of Adam Gase playcalling. There was a late shotgun call with empty protection on third and long during their 2 minute drill. I don't know why you'd ever do that to a rookie, especially with a crappy o-line. I don't know what they can do with their RB situation either. Miles Sanders is an atrocious pass blocker and neither him or Chubba can get anything behind the run blocking. Again I don't understand how an o-line that is that massive can't get any push.

Bryce is spooked as hell. His decision making is terrible right now. Constant throws into triple coverage. Should have ended with more picks but the Bears were stonehanded. He's forcing stuff so hard that it's making his accuracy look like crap.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
For real, what is up with Young's dropback?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think the offense is so hosed up that his mechanics are the least of their concerns, but it should probably move up higher in the priority list because his accuracy is garbo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LargeHadron posted:

For real, what is up with Young's dropback?

It takes forever and looks uncomfortable plus Icky is bailing out to the left in a wide slide a lot so that screams buy as much time as possible

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

His drop back has slowed a little in the last few weeks and I thnk its a coaching decision. He's still reaching the top of his drop with receivers with their backs turned to him and not even close to out of coverage. When you watch the wide clips its really egregious how slow the route concepts develop and how slow the receivers are.

The only guy with any speed is Chark and he's been on a very limited pitch count because he's made of glass.

Doltos posted:

Watching a whole Panthers game for the first time thoughts:

Bryce was getting bullied real bad and the refs weren't calling it. Constant late knock downs. Their line is complete rear end and looks worse than the Giants' somehow. Just a lack of talent. They're all gigantic but get shoved around like kids. The play calling was atrocious. They're trying to run speed concepts where they think their geriatric WRs and slow rookies can beat people to their spot. Reminds me of Adam Gase playcalling. There was a late shotgun call with empty protection on third and long during their 2 minute drill. I don't know why you'd ever do that to a rookie, especially with a crappy o-line. I don't know what they can do with their RB situation either. Miles Sanders is an atrocious pass blocker and neither him or Chubba can get anything behind the run blocking. Again I don't understand how an o-line that is that massive can't get any push.

Bryce is spooked as hell. His decision making is terrible right now. Constant throws into triple coverage. Should have ended with more picks but the Bears were stonehanded. He's forcing stuff so hard that it's making his accuracy look like crap.

I addressed this above. McAdoo ran a power man to man scheme that worked extremely well, now they're running zone concepts. They built the offensive line last year to do that well and it worked well and then wholesale changed the protection and run blocking scheme. They've also had to change the interior personnel around a lot in the games this year because the starting guards and presumptive starting guards have been injured.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah that team shouldn't be running zone at all. That works a bit better for Bryce to let him tuck and run but they're killing the kid.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

has a team switching from power man to zone blocking ever, ever, ever worked out, i feel like every time people ask "why did that lineman/the entire line go from being good to looking like absolute dogshit" the answer is always "the coach tried to switch to a zone blocking scheme"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Ravens in 2014 but they had literally Gary Kubiak installing and coaching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
In response to the question about "why is Bryce supposed to be good" coming out - combo of arm talent and decision making plus in particular one of the best anticipation throwers as a prospect ever. Which is a problem when you're attempting to throw to guys who never actually get open so there's nothing to anticipate