Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

isn't this the point where you consider building new boats or are destroyers somenow now battleship expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i don't know much about boats, but i do know that taking a functioning weapon and slapping all sorts of dumb poo poo onto it is a time-honored american pastime

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Pretty much, Iowa-class battleships were $100 million in 1939, which is 2.2 billion today, and Arleigh Burke class destroyers cost $1.8 billion now.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Danann posted:

isn't this the point where you consider building new boats or are destroyers somenow now battleship expensive

let me introduce you to a little old boat called Zumwalt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Navy officers are still mad about the OHP Class frigates, I see.

I feel like Larry Bond has this particular tic because in "Cauldron" he sets up this whole scene where a USN SAG is under attack by Exocets and a missile gets through because the OH Perry's single SM2 launcher (in the back of the ship) couldn't keep up with the barrage of missiles as compared to the Leahy-class cruiser's front-and-rear akimbo SAM launchers

Danann posted:

it's a problem when you can't build new boats fast enough so you have to keep bolting-on new poo poo to your existing boats

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

they're the largest surface combatants we (or anybody else, really) make so yeah they're battleship expensive

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Generals we need a battle plan and force equipped to fight an enemy that may actually shoot back.

Confused looks across the room.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bates posted:

the US Air Force wanted a manned space program so loving bad and kept pushing for one for decades, including at various times a manned surveillance space station, a mass produced Air Force variant of the Gemini capsule, and an Air Force spaceplane, but were consistently unable to come up with anything in particular for the hypothetical Air Force astronauts to actually do

the Soviets actually did put manned armed spacecraft in orbit a couple of times as an experiment but came to the conclusion that it was stupid and pointless

The mistake the usaf made was not getting their astronauts to spacewalk and re entry on asbestos surfboards with rock and roll music.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

Generals we need a battle plan and force equipped to fight an enemy that may actually shoot back.

Confused looks across the room.

What's funny is that the entire program was only intended to interdict the Ho Chi Minh trail and then the aircraft just kind of hung around because of bureaucratic inertia before being latched onto by pop culture.

Could they have formed the same attachment to any Operation Barrel Roll aircraft?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

What's funny is that the entire program was only intended to interdict the Ho Chi Minh trail and then the aircraft just kind of hung around because of bureaucratic inertia before being latched onto by pop culture.

Could they have formed the same attachment to any Operation Barrel Roll aircraft?

Well they didn't have any B24s left so I guess they just slapped something together and called it new.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have questions

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

atelier morgan posted:

they're the largest surface combatants we (or anybody else, really) make so yeah they're battleship expensive

The real battleship expensive part of battleships by the end was the crew size. ~1,800 people is a lot to train, sustain, and pay compared to ~300.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

The real battleship expensive part of battleships by the end was the crew size. ~1,800 people is a lot to train, sustain, and pay compared to ~300.

Hear me out... Battleships but with lean mean agile minimal manning. Each enlisted crew gets upwards of 3 hours sleep a night due to all their duty stations. But the savings are well worth it, I assure you.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Hear me out... Battleships but with lean mean agile minimal manning. Each enlisted crew gets upwards of 3 hours sleep a night due to all their duty stations. But the savings are well worth it, I assure you.

[battleship loses a fight with a bulk freighter]

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

genuine question, is the mic still capable of developing vehicles or weapons systems for specific conflicts or is it like the iphone where there’s a weapons program roadmap based on projected market conditions … ?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Centrist Committee posted:

genuine question, is the mic still capable of developing vehicles or weapons systems for specific conflicts or is it like the iphone where there’s a weapons program roadmap based on projected market conditions … ?

it is, for example israel has a bunch of bespoke garbage it made specifically so they didn't have to worry about people throwing rocks at them which are currently being exploded by people with actual weapons

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cerebral Bore posted:

i don't know much about boats, but i do know that taking a functioning weapon and slapping all sorts of dumb poo poo onto it is a time-honored american pastime

tactilol boat

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Doesn't Israel made the police patrol tank because all the other American tanks are too heavy?

Also I don't think they can make a smaller and different nuclear sub for Australia.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
can they even make nuclear subs?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

atelier morgan posted:

it is, for example israel has a bunch of bespoke garbage it made specifically so they didn't have to worry about people throwing rocks at them which are currently being exploded by people with actual weapons

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

The fact that the iPhone comes out every year instead of every 20 should answer your question

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

atelier morgan posted:

You're telling me kids throwing rocks at IDF legitimately weakened the Israeli military?

Incredible.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Also, we gave Ukraine all of the vehicles designed for patrolling on Iraqi roads (and not making headlines back home) and told them to use them like M113s to assault dug in motor rifle regiments.

Our RG MRAPs were literally designed in Apartheid South Africa for patrolling the townships, make of that what you will.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

This article is incredible. It's making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

The Article posted:

“In a scenario where you’re not able to just have free rein and fly over a friendly location for three hours, how do we beat our adversaries at that game?” the official said. “If they take away our ability to loiter for extended periods of time, what’s our counter-punch?”

So they admit the AC-130 would be useless in a war.

The Article posted:

“This is a significant move,” Venable said. “In a high-intensity fight where you’ve got air-to-air threats and long-range [surface-to-air missiles], it would be relegated to a position — much like the [E-8] JSTARS, much like the [E-3 Sentry] AWACS — to where it would be almost combat ineffective in its current role.

Again, useless in a real war.

The Article posted:

We will still need AC-130s to fly top cover in Africa; the same thing with our troops in Syria.

But you still want to use it for colonial adventures. So why the gently caress are you taking the gun off?

The Article posted:

“What does the future fight look like?” the Air Force official said. “Do we need the 105[mm cannon]? … We don’t want to pigeonhole ourselves in strictly special operations. That’s where our expertise lies, [but] we also want to expand capabilities and offer something up to the joint force as well.”

The Air Force would like to be able to "offer something up" in a war as well.

The Article posted:

If small cruise missiles are added to the AC-130J, the official said, the crew could eject them from the gunship’s ramp to be launched — potentially as palletized munitions, in which a container of multiple cruise missiles is slid out of a cargo plane and then fired in a barrage. Or, the official added, the missiles could be mounted and launched from the Ghostrider’s wings.

The dumbass palletized cruise missile already exists, launched out the ramp of a normal C-130.

But the thing is the Air Force has loving other planes doesn't it. They have planes capable of launching missiles. Even fighters are meant to be able to launch nukes. Surely B-1s, B-2s, the new bomber are able to fire missiles. They're saying, ok, the AC-130 is going to be useless in a war, but we want to use it in a war, instead of using a war plane.

This is quite literally just Call of Duty fetishism. The AC-130 was in Call of Duty, and is a recruiting tool, so they're obsessed with it and forget they have other planes. They desperately want it to be a Tu-22M but look like an AC-130.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 13:00 on Nov 9, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

This article is incredible. It's making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

So they admit the AC-130 would be useless in a war.

Again, useless in a real war.

But you still want to use it for colonial adventures. So why the gently caress are you taking the gun off?

The Air Force would like to be able to "offer something up" in a war as well.

The dumbass palletized cruise missile already exists, launched out the ramp of a normal C-130.

But the thing is the Air Force has loving other planes doesn't it. They have planes capable of launching missiles. Even fighters are meant to be able to launch nukes. Surely B-1s, B-2s, the new bomber are able to fire missiles. They're saying, ok, the AC-130 is going to be useless in a war, but we want to use it in a war, instead of using a war plane.

This is quite literally just Call of Duty fetishism. The AC-130 was in Call of Duty, and is a recruiting tool, so they're obsessed with it and forget they have other planes. They desperately want it to be a Tu-22M but look like an AC-130.

Idk, didn't they want to get rid of it for the longest time? Too cheap and slow. Buy more F-35. So spending some money to make it useless might be an interim step.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Why not just copy the Tu-22M? Surely they can grift that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is very simple: The Air Force has other planes, the specific Special Operations Wings or whatever don't. They need to maintain their relevance (and career tracks of their officers) by finding a new mission for that aircraft, not ceding ground to pilots checked out on more relevant airframes.

Put another way, it's how you ended up with this:

Why, yes, the USAF really only needed the F-100 and F-105 for Vietnam, and they were much better suited for moving mud than hot rod interceptors, but the F-102 and F-104 community were not going to let themselves get passed over for promotions and Pentagon postings. So they proved their relevance by carrying a pair of rocket pods rather than letting aircraft that carried as much ordnance as a WW2 medium bomber steal the show. The important thing was that the pilots checked out on those aircraft could log combat hours, and the officers commanding could put combat experience down when applying for Pentagon positions.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:14 on Nov 9, 2023

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

GoLambo posted:

Just can't stop thinking about those Delta Force guys who decided to just scramble their brains into soup pulling double shifts standing too close to a 6 inch naval gun with a muzzle brake designed to punch your dick off, under a shaded tent with no entrenchment, shooting at max range against some guys who can't even shoot back at half that range.

How the gently caress do you bust your rear end so hard to get into Delta and then just hillbilly yourself to death like that? That literally could have spent that entire time smoking crack instead and have come out healthier.

I don't think it was the tier one operators running the guns. I think they just tasked some marines to do it.

Frosted Flake posted:

Yep. Still no replacement either.

That company in Long Island isn't open 24 hours either, so if you're in an inconvenient timezone... good luck.

I would bet money a better unit is available commercial off the shelf, with 24/7 support, at a fraction of that unit cost - just not from anyone in the military griftocomplex.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

crysis suit voice: maximum grift

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

If all of the NFL got together I think they could put together an army that could beat the US military in a war.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Buffer posted:

I don't think it was the tier one operators running the guns. I think they just tasked some marines to do it.

yeah the spec ops guys have to get back to ft bragg to do a hit on their coke dealer by noon they just blow in, get the jarheads really high and agitated to do howitzer and then blow out of there firing rifles at random teen boys on a b-line to the airport

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I found out today that CSIS is getting in trouble for using the army's favourite recruiting trick.

They're hard up for IT guys, protective services (building security) and surveillance officers (people who sit in unmarked cars in front of mosques and take photos). They're flooded with applicants to be intelligence officers.

What they've started doing, is telling people "oh yeah, just sign an open general contract. It's much easier to get into intelligence that way, once you're already in. We're really good at identifying talented people, so in no time at all you'll be in the field as an operative." which is exactly how a million people who wanted to be "snipers" or "special forces" ended up as clerks and cooks back in the GWOT.

It's just funny that, you know, the prestigious organization that prides itself on the Old Boys' club that recruits Canadians who went to the Ivies and British universities also tricks morons into being janitors by dangling that in front of them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They got to fund movies starring a Canadian international spy. How about setting the first movie in Punjab.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

sounds like the easiest way to get yourself infiltrated tbh lol

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722777727688684030

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722778227419050443

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722778630063845823

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722778988609728742

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722779670939099287

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722780309177962519

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722781053960511536

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722782874053616039

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722783829910315114

https://twitter.com/SwordMercury/status/1722785062935056393

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I mean the Republican's response to Gaza was pretty much "Heh heh heh yeah...we can totally spin this to justify an invasion of Iran!" so yeah I would call them pretty loving clueless and stuck in 2003.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good thing the USA has such a great platform like the f35 to keep the skies secure into the future.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/11/air-force-weighing-turning-t-7-into-f-7-armed-light-attack-jet-official/

"MADRID and WASHINGTON — A US Air Force official has revealed the service is actively considering a new, armed variant of the Boeing T-7A Red Hawk, dubbed F-7, which could potentially replace older F-16 fighter jets."

Oh. Armed jet trainers it is.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wonder if it was in Madrid specifically because Spain uses the C-101 in the same way, a jet trainer that can also be armed.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 06:32 on Nov 10, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

This is very simple: The Air Force has other planes, the specific Special Operations Wings or whatever don't. They need to maintain their relevance (and career tracks of their officers) by finding a new mission for that aircraft, not ceding ground to pilots checked out on more relevant airframes.

Put another way, it's how you ended up with this:

Why, yes, the USAF really only needed the F-100 and F-105 for Vietnam, and they were much better suited for moving mud than hot rod interceptors, but the F-102 and F-104 community were not going to let themselves get passed over for promotions and Pentagon postings. So they proved their relevance by carrying a pair of rocket pods rather than letting aircraft that carried as much ordnance as a WW2 medium bomber steal the show. The important thing was that the pilots checked out on those aircraft could log combat hours, and the officers commanding could put combat experience down when applying for Pentagon positions.

Gonna disagree that the F-105 was better for Vietnam since its the only US aircraft to date to removed because of number of losses. North Vietnamese air defense totally owned them. God know what Warsaw Pact AD would have done to it in a hot war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KomradeX posted:

Gonna disagree that the F-105 was better for Vietnam since its the only US aircraft to date to removed because of number of losses. North Vietnamese air defense totally owned them. God know what Warsaw Pact AD would have done to it in a hot war

i think this is less because the f-105 was especially unsuited to vietnam and more because it was the plane that was the most exposed to aa fire due to its mission profile. the other century series planes would certainly not have fared any better if they had tried to do the same things that the f-105 did