Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

StupidSexyMothman posted:

100%
how do you sell yourself to any head coaching candidate (let alone any worth hiring) when you have essentially fired 3 coaches in a calendar year, your offense has no weapons and a soft o-line, your best defensive player is about to leave in free agency & you don't have a first-round pick

Clearly this is a post about production at the Factory of Sadness being at an all time high, right? Right?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

100%
how do you sell yourself to any head coaching candidate (let alone any worth hiring) when you have essentially fired 3 coaches in a calendar year, your offense has no weapons and a soft o-line, your best defensive player is about to leave in free agency & you don't have a first-round pick

You take advantage of the fact that the candidate knows they may never get this opportunity again in their lives

It's a very rare class of head coaching candidate that has the luxury of being picky about where they work, and I don't even know if there's reason to believe the more in-demand candidates actually end up as better coaches

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

The hand gesture and disbelief is a pretty good impersonation of

Actually my new conspiracy theory is that's Tepper in the jags gif, top right corner.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

100%

The Texans were able to get Ryans even after firing two black coaches in two years and the owners dead dad calling players prisoners.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there are exceptions but a good coordinator who isn't set up to be the next head coach on his current team would still take a lovely head coaching job almost all of the time. they'll go somewhere else first but eventually there will be a guy or two who are worth a shot without any other jobs open. seems like there were like 10 candidates this year before the season. i don't know how it looks now

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I feel like in some part owners quickly moving on from bad HCs communicates that they are all in to win it even if they suck at executing so its not really a big detriment to future head coaches let alone the desperate guys making their first shot. It'd be more interesting to know just how much meddling Tepper has done given the rumors but everyone is too by the book to ever confirm/deny that.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Woozie66 posted:

The Texans were able to get Ryans even after firing two black coaches in two years and the owners dead dad calling players prisoners.

Yes but I don't think he ever did anything that would be directly at odds with their success as a coach a la Tepper.

Certainly didn't step in and make them take a different QB than the entire staff wanted.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Gorson posted:

We really don't know what we have with Love, I predicted 3500yds 22td/14int something like that which these days is league average. League average is pretty good when you could be starting Tommy DeVito.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

“Better than the third string QB on a team that doesn’t haven’t a starting quality QB on the roster” is a really generous way to look at things.

What you’re describing as league average is really just the minimum acceptable level of play that *might* keep you from getting replaced immediately. It’s an alright bar for a rookie but so far Love is below even that bar this year.

What are you even talking about?

Gorson is pretty much spot on -- Jordan Love is on track for 3,655 with 25 TDs and 17 INTs which pretty close to Rodgers' 3,695 26/12 last season.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Frank Reich is in some trub

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 10, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Yes but I don't think he ever did anything that would be directly at odds with their success as a coach a la Tepper.

Certainly didn't step in and make them take a different QB than the entire staff wanted.

This needs to stop being canonised. It's a rumour based on McCown saying "if you come to Carolina we'll shoot hoops" and then the next day 100% of the press being about how dicks out we were for Bryce but because Tepper cheer leaded it, it's become the absolute truth.

Bryce isn't the problem.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shrimpy posted:

What are you even talking about?

Gorson is pretty much spot on -- Jordan Love is on track for 3,655 with 25 TDs and 17 INTs which pretty close to Rodgers' 3,695 26/12 last season.

Half of his passing TDs came in the first two games of the season so I’m not sure you can really say he’s on track for 25 TDs. But even if he manages to hit those numbers being in the middle of the pack on TDs while having a 60% completion rate and bottom of the league YPA and Int rate wouldn’t be league average, it would be bad. Justin Fields has better passing stats than Love this season and almost everybody thinks he sucks.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Half of his passing TDs came in the first two games of the season so I’m not sure you can really say he’s on track for 25 TDs. But even if he manages to hit those numbers being in the middle of the pack on TDs while having a 60% completion rate and bottom of the league YPA and Int rate wouldn’t be league average, it would be bad. Justin Fields has better passing stats than Love this season and almost everybody thinks he sucks.

So........ you're not Lovin' it?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Frank Reich finally losing that dumb 'QB Whisperer' moniker from standing next to Doug Peterson.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Frank Reich finally losing that dumb 'QB Whisperer' moniker from standing next to Doug Peterson.

The inevitable Press Taylor HC stint is going to be very funny

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I figured he lost it when he dumped Philip Rivers for "don't worry I can fix him" Carson Wentz

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I thought Rivers just retired

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Febreeze posted:

I thought Rivers just retired

Yeah, he retired. If he’d wanted to play in 2021, he would have still be the Colts QB.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Love is having a really weird season and I don't know we can accurately evaluate him until he puts together a full game, either good or bad. Obviously I'd hoped he would be better than this and the accuracy issues are incredibly concerning, but at the same time:

Love ranks 30th in the NFL in first-half passing yards. In the second half, he ranks tied for second. He's tied for 30th in first-half passing touchdowns... and tied for first in second-half passing touchdowns.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

xbilkis posted:

You take advantage of the fact that the candidate knows they may never get this opportunity again in their lives

It's a very rare class of head coaching candidate that has the luxury of being picky about where they work, and I don't even know if there's reason to believe the more in-demand candidates actually end up as better coaches

On the other hand, Ben Johnson turned them down to stay with the Lions and he probably made the right choice!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nervous posted:

So........ you're not Lovin' it?

Darlin he gives Love a bad name.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It was the best of Loves, it was the worst of Loves.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

SKULL.GIF posted:

Love is having a really weird season and I don't know we can accurately evaluate him until he puts together a full game, either good or bad

I think that's an accurate evaluation of Love: really fuckin inconsistent. Highly variable output is part of his playing style, and that won't/can't improve

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don't get this criticism of their offense. What's Love got to do with it?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

What is Love? Oh baby, don't hurt me...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Despair and Deception, Love's ugly little twins
Came a-knocking on my door, I let them in
Darling, you're the punishment for all of my former sins
I let Love in, I let Love in...

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Somebody fire a coach, thread needs more content.

Reich gone when? Flus gone when?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

Despair and Deception, Love's ugly little twins
Came a-knocking on my door, I let them in
Darling, you're the punishment for all of my former sins
I let Love in, I let Love in...

Don’t tell me what Love can do

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
In the name of Love, what more (interceptions) in the name of Love....

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Guess no one is getting fired today

https://x.com/josephperson/status/1723042874877452361?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I would also like to know what the people that write Frank's checks are thinking.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
Fans, don't doubt me, don't doubt me,
No more.
What is the game?
Yeah.

No, I don't know why the pressure's so hard,
I give my all, but it's like a yard,
So what's the play, and what's the call?
Gimme the ball.
What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.

What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
Whoa, whoa, oh,
Whoa, whoa, oh.

Oh, I don't know, how can I prove?
What else can I say? I'm on the move,
I know we'll win, just me and the team,
We're chasing the dream.

What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
Whoa, whoa, oh,
Whoa, whoa, oh.

What is the game?
What is the game?
What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
Don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me.

I aim for victory, no other goal,
This is our field, our soul,
If we are united, I'll lead us forever,
Is this the game?

What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
Yeah, yeah.
Whoa, whoa, oh,
Whoa, whoa, oh.

What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
What is the game?
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
Oh fans, don't doubt me,
Don't doubt me,
No more.
What is the game?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

This needs to stop being canonised. It's a rumour based on McCown saying "if you come to Carolina we'll shoot hoops" and then the next day 100% of the press being about how dicks out we were for Bryce but because Tepper cheer leaded it, it's become the absolute truth.

Bryce isn't the problem.

It's not only based on that. Frank has done everything he can to make it clear without crossing the line into insubordination. He confirmed that Tepper is involved with the draft process and called it "difficult," which is why the story started coming back up in the first place. It's been called an "open secret in the league" that Tepper made the pick. Then you have the issue that Frank Reich has never sought out a quarterback like Bryce before. He goes for tall guys with cannon arms that like to work in the pocket.

Also if you watch the two quarterback breakdown videos McCown made before he was hired by the Panthers it's very clear which prospect he liked more and it wasn't the 5'10 guy.

Bryce might not be the problem but CJ Stroud should have been the solution.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 10, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

At this point the only thing on the team that works are special teams and the defense. Evero has kept the team in games with a broken roster. The offensive side needs wholesale change. At the moment Reich is basically the NFL equivalent of this post:

quote:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well.""

Everything is old and slow and not a personnel fit and everything the coaching staff says about offense is that "we just need to keep at it". No, no you don't. You need to pull the plug but turning around an NFL franchise is like turning around a battleship and you can't do that mid season. The seasons over already. We're just taking our medicine and hoping no one takes a career ender.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I don't think O'Connell is a good coach but him being on that list is silly. 0 chance he's fired.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

mcmagic posted:

I don't think O'Connell is a good coach

Last Sunday he trained up a pretty mediocre QB in real time, against a top 10 defense, and did it well enough that they won the game. The players seem to love him. I dunno if he's, like, an elite coach or whatever but he's definitely "good".

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Y’aww good for the titans for getting their lil logo, still don’t understand why vrabel is so high on these tho

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's not "a list of all the coaches who could realistically be fired." someone lined up the coaches in order of betting odds. there will be odds for everyone and the guy who has 0% chance to be fired is +4000. if you bet $10 on that you would win $400 in return due to how it's not going to happen. let's use our powerful bickering minds to not just argue randomly into the void at every opportunity

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

When would a firing have to occur by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

it's not "a list of all the coaches who could realistically be fired." someone lined up the coaches in order of betting odds. there will be odds for everyone and the guy who has 0% chance to be fired is +4000. if you bet $10 on that you would win $400 in return due to how it's not going to happen. let's use our powerful bickering minds to not just argue randomly into the void at every opportunity

I love to bicker into the void