Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If you're willing to download add on packs, there are a lot of ones out there that cover most of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Yeah the add-ons are the way to go for that kind of thing, it's about 30gb worth of downloads for faces/badges/kits though.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, update on the APL mod. I was running into all kinds of frustration regarding adding continental competiions. Turns out that MLS has to be the US Top Division (with 24+ teams) and the Canadian Premier League has to be viable (8 teams), or CONCACAF competition just won't show up in game. Took some figuring out where the bug in FM/The editor was.

But, I think I have it licked, and the full mod should be out next week.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, messing with continental competitions is a pain in the rear end in the editor. As is trying to run competitions across countries. I wouldn't be surprised if SI keep the real deep editing stuff if not hidden then definitely obfuscated because of how complex continental competitions are, and to be more conspiracy minded because the continental cups are more likely to scream at them if someone goes loving around with their leagues (looking at you UEFA!)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tried the new FM Touch on my iPhone. They’ve really not optimized the UI enough for cell phone screens. I dumped the idea quickly and went back to my iPad. Lying on my couch with the iPad has been my best experience with FM so far.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Mrenda posted:

Yeah, messing with continental competitions is a pain in the rear end in the editor. As is trying to run competitions across countries. I wouldn't be surprised if SI keep the real deep editing stuff if not hidden then definitely obfuscated because of how complex continental competitions are, and to be more conspiracy minded because the continental cups are more likely to scream at them if someone goes loving around with their leagues (looking at you UEFA!)

Add to the frustration that the game is apparently hardcoded to call it Major League Soccer even if you change the name in the editor. Since I need the division to have continental stuff... well, it's kludgey, it works, but why do I put myself through this poo poo again?

Oh yeah, so others don't pop a blood vessel when trying to follow all of MLS's crazy rules. (funny thing is, despite making a pro/rel pyramid, I recently got in to it with a bunch of "No Promotion/Relegation means USA Soccer is a joke rabblerabblerabblerabble". Someone even went so far as to call me an abuse victim/Stockholm Syndrom because I realized that as long as MLS can charge a couple hundred million for expansion teams, they're not going to want to do something that will make all their franchises drop in value 75% if they have a few bad seasons.

BTW, if you want to try it out: https://sortitoutsi.net/content/63885/american-premier-league-beta-release

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

SirFozzie posted:

Add to the frustration that the game is apparently hardcoded to call it Major League Soccer even if you change the name in the editor. Since I need the division to have continental stuff... well, it's kludgey, it works, but why do I put myself through this poo poo again?

One thing this might be is that if you change the name of a competition in the editor, but you're using something like the Real Name fixes with the LNC files, those will override your new name the first time it generates a save - but when you load the save it'll have your edited name again. I've gotten used to that since I haven't played the game without my Worldwide Champions League mod in nearly a decade, so in my first session of a save it's always the FIFA Club World Cup instead.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thanks for the advice on the megapacks, got to wonder how many of the staff at SI play with them installed. Now I can start a career in Portugal and not be managing a sea of blank faces!

Through a mess up on my part I've ended up with a spare digital key that I can't refund (Europe only, idk if that includes UK) that should work (I haven't tested). If you don't already have a copy of fm24 but would like one dm me, a random requestor can have it on a pay it forwards basis.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I dunno why, but I find the new FM more tiring/less binge-able. I'll still pull an all-nighter playing it, but with the new graphics in the games it's a lot more tiring to watch. It's not just barely animated blobs moving to specific positions. You'll actually notice stuff around ball control and passing styles. If you want to you can actually hone tactics from it, and recalculate things mid-game to give yourself a better chance.

And in my save I put Cork City into the Bananarama South (and moved Havant and Waterlooville to the Irish First Division.) Considering the Irish Premiership is somewhere between the Banarama National and League Two in player quality (in game, not in real life, the spread between teams is too big,) I figure Cork City are probably a mid to high level Bananarama National team, and we're crusing the Bananarama South. It did mean I managed to get to Round 3 of the FA Cup, and to my absolute delight got drawn against Chelsea away. We lost 3-1 (a great result for our level) but more importantly we made something like £770,000 from the gate receipts. I wanted to put it into my youth facilities but the board outright rejected it. I'll try again in the Bananarama National. They did increase my wage budget, after a bit of argument about me wanting to hold onto our good players. So now Cork City has the fifth or so highest wage budget in the Bananarama South despite, in theory, having been an Irish Premiership team this season in Ireland's biggest and second most populated county.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Does the width slider directly affect where your players will look to play the ball, or is it just their spacing/positioning while in possession?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Dallan Invictus posted:

One thing this might be is that if you change the name of a competition in the editor, but you're using something like the Real Name fixes with the LNC files, those will override your new name the first time it generates a save - but when you load the save it'll have your edited name again. I've gotten used to that since I haven't played the game without my Worldwide Champions League mod in nearly a decade, so in my first session of a save it's always the FIFA Club World Cup instead.

Thanks. This is what it turned out to be.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Much as I've heaped praise upon 24 ITT the press conferences are still absolute dogshit, just reached 20 matches unbeaten, broken a record and not a single question about that, but about 4 asking about other manager's job securities.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I started an Academia run in Portugal 3rd division (shortened to "ACAD" in the match banner!) it's a lot of fun. Your main striker is decent but also 36 years old, your good winger is also aging, good facilities for the league, and is relatively easy to hire Brazilians.

I got a loan though and I'm playing him every match as an inside forward at AMR, he's getting loads of goals, and his team came to complain I wasn't playing him in the centre? It's obviously working out great for him!

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I am playing FM23 's first season. Just got to the the winter world cup.

The final was England and Qatar. England won 1-0.

England only gave up 1 goal all tournament.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

distortion park posted:

I got a loan though and I'm playing him every match as an inside forward at AMR, he's getting loads of goals, and his team came to complain I wasn't playing him in the centre? It's obviously working out great for him!

Think of it this way: you play a narrow formation that doesn't have wingers but does have a central AM. You then send an AM out on loan for development/gametime, if the other team started playing him as a winger you'd be pissed because he's not going to develop properly in that AM role, even though he might be playing well there, you don't have a use for a winger.

He might be bagging goals for you, but he's still another team's player, they're thinking about their own plan for him and in that instance they're not getting the maximum value out of that loan.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure there is a West Ham goon itt so you'll be glad to know the Hammers knocked Barca out of the Euro Cup in my fm21 game.

ScottyJSno posted:

I am playing FM23 's first season. Just got to the the winter world cup.

The final was England and Qatar. England won 1-0.

England only gave up 1 goal all tournament.

I love how FM is always like "with all these players surely they HAVE to win... right???"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

England are forever losers but Jude is so good he might actually bring it home in 2026

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm not certain on this, it was just an ad hoc "Oh!" moment during my season this year. We were predicted to top the league by the season preview. I was topping the league but I realised I had a lot of deadwood in my team. Players in certain positions were getting unhappy at not being played seeing as I'd brought them in in case the starters got injured, and if I needed to go to a different formation I sometimes used. Also, despite being under my wage budget, the team was still losing big chunks of money every month on wages.

I cleared out some of the players, either sold them or loaned them out at 100% wages in the January transfer window. I was down to a fairly bare bones team, just about enough to get through to the end of the season as long as the RNG didn't screw me with horrendous injuries in one position. However looking at the season preview I'd gone from about 2/1 to top it to 15/1, purely because I had less players. Definitely enough to see out a season baring no catastrophes, and sure, I might drop a few points due to less rotation but I also didn't have any cup games left to play the deadwood. So it seems that season preview is doing some calculation based on the amount of players in your squad. My thought is if you have a bloated squad of average players you could be predicted to achieve more than a tight, but efficient squad of higher rated players, purely based on having more. And more than is necessary for a normal amount of injuries.

This could be a problem in a game mechanic system. I'd presume the board use a similar method in setting out their league targets. If they do and you have a lot of junk in your team they might be demanding a higher league placing than you should achieve with your average but especially deep team.

It's always possible the players I got rid of the game ranked higher than I did. However my pretty decent coaches rated them as the worst players, along with me, their match ratings were lower, they weren't playing, and they weren't performing to my eyes.

It's also possible between the last time I looked at the season preview and the actual closing of the transfer window a load of teams massively improved. I just don't think they could do it in the days it transitioned, or to such an extent to take me from the top of the table prediction to 15/1. I also know where you actually are in the league seems to play a part (although it doesn't give perfect odds even if you've already won.)

I always thought the amount of players played an effect, I just happened to see it this time. My worry, however, is that the actual match engine uses it for some effect of, "We should be beating this mid-table predicted team!" So if you're team of cloggers is predicted first other teams will generally play "worse" because they're a little frightened. But if your tight squad of really good players is predicted to do badly the other teams will play better against them. And this is all the demented fun of trying to figure out what's actually happening with the game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As far as I know the betting odds before each match are a pretty reliable indicator of whether your opponent is afraid of you or thinks you should be afraid of them. Generally you've always wanted more players forward and a lower tempo when you're a big betting odds favorite because in the FM match engine that's how you break down a structured bank of 4x2. I don't know if that's changed in FM24 though.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I have three 433s in training at all times. One a lump it forward, extremely direct one. Typically for much higher league teams or teams that go crazy positive against us in 442s, and sometimes central diamonds. Another is a run at defence, pass into space game which crosses balls to the other flank to an IF and striker running onto it along with a mez. This is the tactic I go with if I don't know what the other team are up to, it's all around and general. And the final is a low tempo, short passing game I used to break down stubborn defences. This one can be a bit knuckle biting because you often spend the entire game waiting to break them down and might not get a goal until the last five minutes, but if you're drawing it tends to work.

I've stuck mostly with 433s through three leagues now. I don't think it's an outstanding formation at anything but it is mostly solid and extremely versatile. I have three completely different tactics for different situations I can swap between without really needing subs. Compare that with a central diamond, or even a 4231, where you might be limited with what you can do and I'm going to use it as long as I can, until I run into a wall.

I will say a general maxim of if I have the players on defensive type roles, I go more positive, and if they're more attacking I go more cautious is working well for me. It's involved much less playing around with mentality in games because the team is always automatically adapting to what's in front of them because they have the range of options open to them.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

distortion park posted:

I started an Academia run in Portugal 3rd division (shortened to "ACAD" in the match banner!) it's a lot of fun. Your main striker is decent but also 36 years old, your good winger is also aging, good facilities for the league, and is relatively easy to hire Brazilians.

All Centerbacks Are Dumbasses? :v:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
All centre (refs) are Dumb.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

lol, this loving game: top of the league after 40 games in our first season, with (club record) 100 points and a GD of +74, having also broken the competition record for goals scored in the Trophy, and here comes a player mutiny because our star winger, who's leaving at the end of the season anyway, thinks we need "more quality up front". I sign a new winger and a loan striker, the best available to us, as doing anything but promise that causes a shitstorm, but that's still not enough to satisfy the little pricks. Absolutely infuriating.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
Sometimes they really nail the attitudes of actual footballers

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

franks posted:

Sometimes they really nail the attitudes of actual footballers

Most of the time I can handwave player interactions quirks off for this reason but this year they're definitely badly broken

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It helps if you imagine that all that bullshit is just the player's way of agitating to be sold, as his agent's behest

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/s/zGJ5ikFQbD

The Advertising Standards Authority has officially declared that AI managers are poo poo.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

It helps if you imagine that all that bullshit is just the player's way of agitating to be sold, as his agent's behest

The same player, having decided he wanted to 'explore his optioms' at the end of hia contract, in two weeks, and repeatedly refusing to even consider re-signing with us, then demanded a meeting to say he wanted to be sold. I promised him I'd sell him at the end of the next season, he was happy with that, said he owed the club and would gladly stay, but still won't even consider entering into contract negotiations. :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My player wants out, got an offer from his favored destination, turned down their contract, and is mad at me for not selling him. This is a you problem, buddy!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m seeing the weirdest thing in my latest game. An Asier Beitia, who has a newgen portrait, apparently manifested into existence in 2024/2025 at Spanish team Eibar, joined a Saudi team next season, and two seasons later is 27 years old.

Are they generating 24 year olds now? What the heck.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

My player wants out, got an offer from his favored destination, turned down their contract, and is mad at me for not selling him. This is a you problem, buddy!

You were supposed to pay half his remaining wages and accept a pittance of a transfer fee so the other club could pay him more money.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

why doesn't the game let you fight your players

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

why doesn't the game let you fight your players

Tony Pulis log-in spotted

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We're proud to announce that FM25 will feature our most in-depth player AI ever, featuring all-new player interactions including:
  • kick a cleat at player
  • get naked and headbutt player in the locker room
  • take a poo poo on the floor
  • player gets fined for eating a pie on the sidelines
  • player banned for gambling
  • player banned for biting
  • player's family gets kidnapped
  • player comes out as gay
  • players who sign for teams in Saudi Arabia become disliked personnel for players who came out as gay

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

vyelkin posted:

We're proud to announce that FM25 will feature our most in-depth player AI ever, featuring all-new player interactions including:

• player comes out as gay

this already happens fyi

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

abuse culture. posted:

this already happens fyi

Can it happen in the Saudi league? Not sure they have a good option there

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I’m seeing the weirdest thing in my latest game. An Asier Beitia, who has a newgen portrait, apparently manifested into existence in 2024/2025 at Spanish team Eibar, joined a Saudi team next season, and two seasons later is 27 years old.

Are they generating 24 year olds now? What the heck.

Did Eibar get promoted to a playable league, or reach European competition? Sometimes the game will insist on generating a few new players for a team when that happens, like "oh poo poo, better make it look like the game-world is actually alive".
It's why the purest way to play is with literally the full database of leagues and players active from Day 1.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

kingturnip posted:

Did Eibar get promoted to a playable league, or reach European competition? Sometimes the game will insist on generating a few new players for a team when that happens, like "oh poo poo, better make it look like the game-world is actually alive".
It's why the purest way to play is with literally the full database of leagues and players active from Day 1.

Love too play my spreadsheet simulator at a realistic pace of one game day per real life day

(Actually I've thought for a long time that that would be quite a fun LP/live stream thing to do. Log on every day, hit continue once and deal with some bits of admin, play games in full, really go all out on the slow gaming thing.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Given that my nana is from North Wales and due to my affection for the Dragons because of the famous LP, I must admit that I smiled when I heard that Wrexham AFC was promoted back into the Football League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

distortion park posted:

Can it happen in the Saudi league? Not sure they have a good option there

Wouldn't it result in a drugs ban as a result of getting stoned?