Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Also, more nuARK things.

Me on discord a couple of days ago:

"also I swear to god there is something about the breeding process that makes the snails lose collision or something
lost like four of them into the void last night, throw straight through the back wall of the cage in a way where it LOOKS like they should at least collide with the mountain slope below somewhere but don't"

Me reading the patchnotes today:

"Fixed a bug where baby Dinos (and adults if grown to) were not having their collision profile updated, causing them to fall through the map"

GODAMMIT
so many innocent snails were lost (and/or escaped their eternal imprisonment by escaping into the void)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah I'm not jumping on it right away but I imagine in a couple months when it's on sale it'd be worth it

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I enjoyed the demo of Enshrouded but then it crashed and I lost like an hour of progress so I decided to wait until the actual release since the demo was time limited anyway. Seemed good though and I’ll definitely pick it up. Hopefully they’ll add some kind of autosave too.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I played about an hour of the demo, just enough to get a feel for it, see some hints of the progression, and find out if the building systems felt like tearing out my own fingernails

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

More progress in Return to Moria. Just about to descend into the Deeps. Have some tier 2 gear, another outpost in the mines proper. Fought a boss...which had a lot of adds which was tough solo but the jank of the combat works in my favor and I was able to do a whole lot of retreating slices with my battleaxe. One thing the comes to mind as I play is the caverns are entirely too bright, especially in some places that clearly do not have any ambient light. Maybe that changes in the deeps.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SettingSun posted:

More progress in Return to Moria. Just about to descend into the Deeps. Have some tier 2 gear, another outpost in the mines proper. Fought a boss...which had a lot of adds which was tough solo but the jank of the combat works in my favor and I was able to do a whole lot of retreating slices with my battleaxe. One thing the comes to mind as I play is the caverns are entirely too bright, especially in some places that clearly do not have any ambient light. Maybe that changes in the deeps.

It does not. The entire game is a bit too bright, and especially when there’s an entire darkness mechanic that effects your morale.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah I think the darkness is a little phoned in. The starting Western Gates is suitably dark and set a great mood. The elvish quarter is brightly lit on purpose but the great forge behind it is supernaturally dark, which is super obvious when the dark filter turns on as you approach it. And the tight mine chambers should be the darkest of all, but there's just this dim ambient light everywhere from nowhere.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

thark posted:

The environments are very pretty now (you do need quite a beefy machine to run it at any sort of acceptable framerate). It is, however, extremely crashy.
I cannot load my game at all, get a fatal error every time I try to launch. Prior to this I'd only had 1 crash and I've played around 40 hours. Super pissed about that, because I had built this awesome base and had some really good tames. I can redo the base in creative mode, but that's still time wasted. I want to waste time doing other dumb poo poo, not rebuilding my base! Think I have to just delete my SP data and start over. Up until that point I was having a pretty good time and the improvements to the water and power systems were great.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Bussamove posted:

It does not. The entire game is a bit too bright, and especially when there’s an entire darkness mechanic that effects your morale.

Having a day-night cycle system in a cave is a bit excuse me sir what.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

thark posted:

Having a day-night cycle system in a cave is a bit excuse me sir what.

Ridiculousness of that aside, even at night the actual lighting doesn’t really change at all but you’ll suddenly get the “In Darkness” debuff unless you have a torch out. Morale starts going down but it’s trivially easy to plunk down a camp hearth to fix that.

Except in the Deepest Dark biome. Where despite your fire being bright as ever it suddenly doesn’t increase your light meter, thus your morale just steadily goes down while you’re down there until it hits 0 and you start taking damage from it instead. Which is an interesting mechanic and encourages brief dives down there to mine gems before getting the hell out but my god, do something different visually other than a faint filter over the screen. Hell, just disable building hearths down there, anything but my dwarf shoving their whole rear end beard into the roaring fire but still being in “darkness”.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also don't Dwarves have low-light vision canonically? who cares about a little darkness, they should lose morale from being away from their mein forge, or their hoard or something similar dwarfish

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Can Return to Moria be played well SP? I have it but nobody to play with. Need a sad dwarf emoji.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I have played it rather far alone so it's doable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also don't Dwarves have low-light vision canonically? who cares about a little darkness, they should lose morale from being away from their mein forge, or their hoard or something similar dwarfish

Tolkienian dwarves are never described as having LLV; that’s attributed more to D&D.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Tolkienian dwarves are never described as having LLV; that’s attributed more to D&D.

With all the glowing rocks jutting out everywhere and a neverending crystal torch that’s easy as hell to craft they apparently don’t need it. :v:

I an enjoying the game but there’s some weird design decisions and conflicting ideas that just don’t gel all that well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah I'm exploring the deeps now and I'm in that dumb tier transitionary period where I'm fumbling around in inferior gear for the area looking for new recipes so I can mine anything new down here and make appropriate gear. There are too many of these shadow pools down here.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I mucked around in Return to Moria solo for just under the 2 hour limit before deciding it wasn't worth it. My 2 biggest beefs (beeves?) with it are:

1) The survival/craft-y aspects I found basic to the point of wondering why they didn't just make this an ARPG or something instead.
2) The combat (at least at the start) is also very basic, but the game throws enemy waves that respawn way too fast and it just made me get sick of dealing with them. I guess it's good that it isn't an ARPG.

There are some other minor quibbles too, some of which others touched on. If you are *really* into LOTR, or maybe want a pretty but simple game, I could see having a good time with it. Would probably be good for / with kids or something.

Maybe all this changes with more playtime, but at this point, survival crafters have to make a good case within that 2 hour window. Been burned too many times.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 10, 2023

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So, Abiotic Factor's alpha playtest is open currently. Just loving around in the tutorial so far, but it's everything I could have wanted thus far looks and sounds wise. I really like the crafting system, where you can choose the recipe for certain items, as your a scientist and your inventing the poo poo.

But yeah, it's a survival game heavily inspired by HL1 and SCP stuff, set INSIDE a black mesa esque complex during a disaster. Been keeping an eye on this for awhile now. Will make a fuller report, maybe, once I've played more.

Edit: yeah. this feels good. Sneaking around vents, making hl1 scientist noises, prospecting rooms for where would be a nice place to build a base...

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 10, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jawnycat posted:

So, Abiotic Factor's alpha playtest is open currently. Just loving around in the tutorial so far, but it's everything I could have wanted thus far looks and sounds wise. I really like the crafting system, where you can choose the recipe for certain items, as your a scientist and your inventing the poo poo.

But yeah, it's a survival game heavily inspired by HL1 and SCP stuff, set INSIDE a black mesa esque complex during a disaster. Been keeping an eye on this for awhile now. Will make a fuller report, maybe, once I've played more.

Edit: yeah. this feels good. Sneaking around vents, making hl1 scientist noises, prospecting rooms for where would be a nice place to build a base...

Well that looks pretty cool!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Twenty Four posted:

Oregon Trail

Twenty Four posted:

Disclaimer: I know nothing about that other game other than I have read its name on these forums before.

HopperUK posted:

There is no farming and no chill. You are managing a wagon rolling west on the Oregon trail. You will die of dysentery and lose your cargo of grandfather clocks trying to ford a river. But you can name your family members 'pee pee' so who is to say what's good?

Oh, I know what Oregon Trail is, I just have no idea about Stardew Valley other than what I've read on these forums, but when I read:

Krataar posted:

What are my options that are basically stardew but you’re on the frontier or home stead and gotta eat and survive so it’s kinda sweaty but chill

Oregon Trail was my comedy answer, on the frontier, trying to make a homestead, gotta eat and survive, pretty chill, first thing that came to mind. It's not what anyone thinks of when "trying a new game" these days unless your brain defaults to making dumb jokes like me, lol.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So finished up the playtest for Abiotic, was a really cool if small vertical slice of the game. It's definitely (remaining) on my wishlist. Not too too much to do yet, but what is there is fairly polished. Only ran into a handful of bugs, my favorite being in-hand weapon models getting increased in size by like 500% if you swap during mid net throw animation, love my buster sword sized kitchen knife.

I enjoy the day/night cycle, that takes place because the facilities non-emergency power shuts off from 9pm-6am, which shuts your base down too unless you've invested in making battery banks. And with all the lights (it is pitch black) and heating off running around at night is pretty spooky. All the security systems turn on during the night so there's little robot vs alien fights happening all over the place. Figured out if you bang on the robot charging stations enough during the day they'll wake up, and it was great for helping clear packs of aliens by aggro dragging it into them then skedaddling.

If you know where your going you could casually speedrun to the end of the alpha in like, three, four minutes, so yeah as mentioned it's very small, just two floors of an office complex like area, but plenty of nooks and crannies to explore. Sad that there are no vehicles in the slice tho, other than the office chair of course. It teases you with fork lifts just out of reach so hard.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

So finished up the playtest for Abiotic, was a really cool if small vertical slice of the game. It's definitely (remaining) on my wishlist. Not too too much to do yet, but what is there is fairly polished. Only ran into a handful of bugs, my favorite being in-hand weapon models getting increased in size by like 500% if you swap during mid net throw animation, love my buster sword sized kitchen knife.

I enjoy the day/night cycle, that takes place because the facilities non-emergency power shuts off from 9pm-6am, which shuts your base down too unless you've invested in making battery banks. And with all the lights (it is pitch black) and heating off running around at night is pretty spooky. All the security systems turn on during the night so there's little robot vs alien fights happening all over the place. Figured out if you bang on the robot charging stations enough during the day they'll wake up, and it was great for helping clear packs of aliens by aggro dragging it into them then skedaddling.

If you know where your going you could casually speedrun to the end of the alpha in like, three, four minutes, so yeah as mentioned it's very small, just two floors of an office complex like area, but plenty of nooks and crannies to explore. Sad that there are no vehicles in the slice tho, other than the office chair of course. It teases you with fork lifts just out of reach so hard.
This sounds rad as hell. Literally just had a conversation with a friend yesterday about how almost every survival game is in a coniferous forest or tropical island. Subnautica's change of setting made it really stand out, and proof there's so many cool places you could set a survival game. One that takes place inside an abandoned high tech/high security facility sounds really appealing and novel. Hope this hits the mark.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

This sounds rad as hell. Literally just had a conversation with a friend yesterday about how almost every survival game is in a coniferous forest or tropical island. Subnautica's change of setting made it really stand out, and proof there's so many cool places you could set a survival game. One that takes place inside an abandoned high tech/high security facility sounds really appealing and novel. Hope this hits the mark.

Yeah, it's an untapped setting for the genre and thus far seems to be being really competently handled. It's also tapping directly into when I was young and playing HL1 and imagining how I'd turn this room into such, and barricade this, and such and such. This is currently my most looked forward to game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ok now Moria is pissing me off. I found the pump in the deeps but I can't stand up to the boss in front of it, then I found the flooded passage which needs to be pumped to continue. Tutorial recommends a crossbow to deal with the boss but I can't make it. Needs silver which I can't mine. I'm literally scurrying around like Gollum trying to find the thing that unlocks the next pickaxe if such a thing exists at all. I can't deal with shadows so I have to climb over them. My character constantly yells about being ill equipped for the goblins down here. Yeah, I know. If I found what the game wanted me to find I'd fix that. Throw me a loving bone, game!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Ok now Moria is pissing me off. I found the pump in the deeps but I can't stand up to the boss in front of it, then I found the flooded passage which needs to be pumped to continue. Tutorial recommends a crossbow to deal with the boss but I can't make it. Needs silver which I can't mine. I'm literally scurrying around like Gollum trying to find the thing that unlocks the next pickaxe if such a thing exists at all. I can't deal with shadows so I have to climb over them. My character constantly yells about being ill equipped for the goblins down here. Yeah, I know. If I found what the game wanted me to find I'd fix that. Throw me a loving bone, game!

So if you're like me and made the great forge in the elven quarter your main base, you never made a Bellows because it didn't need one to make steel. Turns out this is what unlocks the gem cutter, which is what you need to make the next tier of pickaxe to mine ore in Granite, which will let you mine silver and make the crossbow and other tier 3 weapons. You'll also need rubies, which are in the orc chests down in the Depths.

It took me ages to finally go "wait a goddamn minute" and make that thing.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 11, 2023

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Can anyone point me to a definitive list on what the The Long Dark DLC actually provides?

All of the descriptions are vague and a couple examples along with confusing reference to certain feature also being included for free, but I can't find an actual description of what exactly I am getting that is different by buying the DLC.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

Just finished this in a group of 4, it's really fun, probably the most original setting I've ever seen for a survival game, and it took almost four hours to get through the surprisingly long demo. Got chaotic with so many people and I can't imagine a team of 6, but now I really want to hit the fast forward button and jump to whenever this is getting a full release because I've not been so bitten by a game in a long time. Thanks for recommending it!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bussamove posted:

So if you're like me and made the great forge in the elven quarter your main base, you never made a Bellows because it didn't need one to make steel. Turns out this is what unlocks the gem cutter, which is what you need to make the next tier of pickaxe to mine ore in Granite, which will let you mine silver and make the crossbow and other tier 3 weapons. You'll also need rubies, which are in the orc chests down in the Depths.

It took me ages to finally go "wait a goddamn minute" and make that thing.

Yeah turns out I had the capability to make the tier 3 pickaxe but I just forgot I unlocked it, so that's one problem solved. I'm still scrounging for rubies, which is its own brand of annoying. I'm looking everywhere but trying to avoid fighting in the depths because it's pain but I guess I should re-evaluate.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Me and my gaming group are always playing some early access survival crafting games, and yesterday we tried two.

First was Vein:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1857950/VEIN/

Which is kinda like your bread and butter zombie survival, you spawn in a rural town, gather supplies, kill the zombies. It's VERY primitive (the beta version we played was 0.008 and that tells you something) with lots of bugs, jank and crashing. So it was mostly just an introduction to the game. Don't feel it's right to judge sudden deaths or cars bugging out constantly since it's so early.

Was a laugh with friends for a few hours, but not for longer at this point. The devs seem active though, and there are a lot of mechanics in place already like driving and cooking with a stove, now they just gotta fix the actual game! Demo is free to try out.

The other one we played was a much more complete game, HumanitZ:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1766060/HumanitZ/

Which is a top-down game with some form of base building, which we didn't get to in a couple hours of gameplay. I think the biggest complaint of the game is that the world feels quite empty so far. Some people complained that the combat was unresponsive, which may have been fixed, at least for me the taken and given hits seemed to have impact. I liked the aiming mechanic with guns where you could do something like knock a zeek's helmet off or aim headshots for more damage. Also the human scav-like enemies were a bit of a fun surprise, they at least seemed like they would use cover and some tactics.

The camera was a bit more restrictive than I liked, you can't really see much in front of you with a strict top down perspective (I think using the binoculars helps, my friend had those, but I didn't try them) and sometimes things like the roof of a house was in the way when enemies were below it. Could've also used a key to highlight all items in vicinity.

But I've definitely spent less than 10€ on worse games, for now there's only host join so I don't know how much progress saves, there should be dedicated servers in the future. I am interested to try it again some more, probably more when they add more content.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Started playing Conan a bit since it's on gamepass but I noticed there's a lot of stuff behind DLC. Which DLC's should I get as someone who doesn't care much about cosmetics?

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Just finished the Fortnite/Valheim/BotW/Dark Souls mashup Frozen Flame on early access after looking for something like Enshrouded to play that isn't just Valheim again.

It's a mixed bag. I understand it got slammed on release for being incredibly grindy and generally unfinished, even by EA survival game standards. I have incredible patience for janky EA poo poo and it even felt far too grindy for my liking in singleplayer, with no way to adjust item drops or other gameplay settings without starting up your own dedicated server :wtc:.

Durability damage on weapons is almost as bad as BotW with weapons routinely breaking in the middle of boss fights. Weapons weigh a ton so you can't carry many backups. Combat AI is wank: enemies can be outwitted by standing behind a rock and I haven't found a single enemy whose attacks can't be dodged by just walking sideways, including every boss in the game.

Base-building is ok but the resource costs could do with being cut in half or more. Bad grammar is distributed everywhere in the game which feels amateurish - this is part of the main questline from a major character:

However the level design is excellent with beautiful visuals. Traversing all the verticality in the second and third zones with the magic eagle flying form is genuinely great. There's something to do in every direction. The lore, quests and characters are ok so it was a fun world to explore.

Overall a wait-and-see/10. The game is dead online but the devs do seem to be active. There's potential here but I'm not sure they have the resources to exploit it, especially since they apparently downsized the studio earlier in the year.

Monstaland posted:

Started playing Conan a bit since it's on gamepass but I noticed there's a lot of stuff behind DLC. Which DLC's should I get as someone who doesn't care much about cosmetics?

The DLCs are almost all purely cosmetic and not worth picking up unless you really want to roleplay a proto-Ancient Greek or whatever. Some of them have neato building parts. You can get them on sale occasionally.

IIRC Isle of Siptah is the only DLC that adds real content although it's completely separate from the base game so not really required for your first playthrough. It was totally unfinished on release, not sure if it's got any better since then.

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 12, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

piano chimp posted:

Overall a wait-and-see/10. The game is dead online but the devs do seem to be active. There's potential here but I'm not sure they have the resources to exploit it, especially since they apparently downsized the studio earlier in the year.

Oof. I had this game on my follow list at some point mostly because of the visuals but it does seem like the devs made a lot of bad calls with the game mechanics. Sad to say but if it's dead now I don't think it will be recovering, with the downsizing considered.

The reviews seem pretty bad at the moment. And it's not just "I HAET THIS GAEM", most have pretty elaborate things listed that are not functioning like they should.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Monstaland posted:

As said, almost all the DLC is cosmetic only. It's really good cosmetic though, the building sets are quite nice compared to basegame and offer some unique building solutions, notably the Derketo pack offering bridges and stages, and the blood and sand pack offering arches, arched ceilings and iron bar doors. The argos and jewel packs also go together extremely well.

Siptah is the only actual content DLC, but IIRC it's more focused to PvP content than PvE (basegame conan has tons of dungeons and actual storyline content meant for PvE, afaik Siptah does not), and was enough of an absolute mess on release I never picked it up.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Oysters Autobio posted:

Can anyone point me to a definitive list on what the The Long Dark DLC actually provides?

All of the descriptions are vague and a couple examples along with confusing reference to certain feature also being included for free, but I can't find an actual description of what exactly I am getting that is different by buying the DLC.

DLC-only:
- New regions (currently only Forsaken Airfield and Transfer Pass)
- Glimmer fog - gives new insomnia infliction
- Tool variants - uniques that give some slight changes versus the standard
-new clothing items
- handheld shortwave - used for the Signal Void tale, kind of a mini-story in survival sandbox
- cooking overhaul
- ptarmigans

Free updates released to everyone alongside the DLC:
- Changed player spawn locations
- loot table and item placement refresh
- fire-hardened arrows - arrows only really useful for rabbits (and ptarmigans) but only need sticks and feathers at a campfire
- notes in vehicle visors
- expanded beachcombing
- does
- improvised crampons - less durable, but craftable
- acorns - roast em and eat, or grind them with a heavy hammer for a coffee substitute
- burdock roots - can be prepared and eaten raw or cooked into another antibiotic tea (eating gets you more calories, and reshi is easier to pick for tea making)
- fishing updates and rare fish

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jawnycat posted:

As said, almost all the DLC is cosmetic only. It's really good cosmetic though, the building sets are quite nice compared to basegame and offer some unique building solutions, notably the Derketo pack offering bridges and stages, and the blood and sand pack offering arches, arched ceilings and iron bar doors. The argos and jewel packs also go together extremely well.

Siptah is the only actual content DLC, but IIRC it's more focused to PvP content than PvE (basegame conan has tons of dungeons and actual storyline content meant for PvE, afaik Siptah does not), and was enough of an absolute mess on release I never picked it up.

To add to this, Siptah is a new map with different challenges, and a better resource distribution. Exiled Lands has a lot of mid tier resources located in specific places on the map so unless you set up near them, prepare to run a long way for your brimstone. Siptah, all resources spawn outside of the vaults and other places, and are scattered around the map, though in smaller quantities. I think its because Siptah was designed to be a team pvp map so no one could just plop down next to a major source of metal and just starve everyone out of it. Its also smaller so just running around or riding a horse is easier to get everywhere, while Exiled Lands have fast travel because it is a big, big map.

The DLCs add a lot of options, but yea they're pretty much all cosmetic. Though DLC gear is easier to craft than the regular stuff so that can be a big help. Also, honestly, a lot of it looks really cool. The 2 that have the most content, other than Siptah, is Architects of Argos and People of the Dragon. Some of the earlier ones only have alternative basic building parts and weapons and armor, but those two have a TON of new building parts.

Conan is my favorite building game, even roofs are fairly easy to build.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

taiyoko posted:

A little bummed that such a cool, mystical thing has such a mundane impact.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

twistedmentat posted:

To add to this, Siptah is a new map with different challenges, and a better resource distribution. Exiled Lands has a lot of mid tier resources located in specific places on the map so unless you set up near them, prepare to run a long way for your brimstone. Siptah, all resources spawn outside of the vaults and other places, and are scattered around the map, though in smaller quantities. I think its because Siptah was designed to be a team pvp map so no one could just plop down next to a major source of metal and just starve everyone out of it. Its also smaller so just running around or riding a horse is easier to get everywhere, while Exiled Lands have fast travel because it is a big, big map.

The DLCs add a lot of options, but yea they're pretty much all cosmetic. Though DLC gear is easier to craft than the regular stuff so that can be a big help. Also, honestly, a lot of it looks really cool. The 2 that have the most content, other than Siptah, is Architects of Argos and People of the Dragon. Some of the earlier ones only have alternative basic building parts and weapons and armor, but those two have a TON of new building parts.

Conan is my favorite building game, even roofs are fairly easy to build.

So I cracked Conan out of storage this week myself and I do not have the Siptah DLC. What I will say about the changes to the exiled lands since I last showed up:

1) There seems to be a fair few NPCs with decent gear on them, whether that be mid-tier armor or weapons. The chests and such in villages now also seem to give out some reasonably good gear. This means you can get sort of kitted out by just looting and pillaging.

2) There are several new mobs running around since I last played, like alpha shalebacks and such. Those rock demon things spawn a bit further south now so iron is available technically almost from the start.

I just started messing around with taming animals and such, which was not available last time I played. This game is still a lot of fun.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

taiyoko posted:

DLC-only:
- New regions (currently only Forsaken Airfield and Transfer Pass)
- Tool variants - uniques that give some slight changes versus the standard
-new clothing items
- handheld shortwave - used for the Signal Void tale, kind of a mini-story in survival sandbox
- cooking overhaul
- ptarmigans

Free updates released to everyone alongside the DLC:
- Changed player spawn locations
- loot table and item placement refresh
- fire-hardened arrows - arrows only really useful for rabbits (and ptarmigans) but only need sticks and feathers at a campfire
- notes in vehicle visors
- expanded beachcombing
- does
- improvised crampons - less durable, but craftable
- acorns - roast em and eat, or grind them with a heavy hammer for a coffee substitute
- burdock roots - can be prepared and eaten raw or cooked into another antibiotic tea (eating gets you more calories, and reshi is easier to pick for tea making)
- fishing updates and rare fish

if i basically exhausted the game a couple years ago on interloper, can i just dive right in and intuitively figure this extra stuff out or should i do the campaign or whatnot

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Jawnycat posted:

played through the playtest with some friends today, game owns and i highly recommend trying it out. really cool premise for a survival/crafting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I cracked Conan out of storage this week myself and I do not have the Siptah DLC. What I will say about the changes to the exiled lands since I last showed up:

1) There seems to be a fair few NPCs with decent gear on them, whether that be mid-tier armor or weapons. The chests and such in villages now also seem to give out some reasonably good gear. This means you can get sort of kitted out by just looting and pillaging.

2) There are several new mobs running around since I last played, like alpha shalebacks and such. Those rock demon things spawn a bit further south now so iron is available technically almost from the start.

I just started messing around with taming animals and such, which was not available last time I played. This game is still a lot of fun.

Animal taming isn't great, they die way too easily. Its all about uh...making friends using trunchons and putting them on the wheel of friendship.