Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is “be*r” a slur now?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

https://twitter.com/smashbaals/status/1722386730328654027

vore

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Vore!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As I said in another thread: tag yourself, I'm the forearm tattoo of corn on the cob.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't remember this Pixar movie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wait, are they saying if Ohio had banned abortion all their crops would have failed? Because if so, really glad they voted to keep it legal.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

grittyreboot posted:

I don't remember this Pixar movie

It's clearly DreamWorks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Capitalism is an evil religion, you say?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Capitalism is an evil religion, you say?

No not like that!!!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

credburn posted:

e: though in retrospect, in those days of extreme online homophobia and gay panic, discovering what you call yourself is also a slur for a gay person is kinda sorta funny.
Twink is not a slur if you're part of the community and tbh I'm not sure the term used in early MMOs has any related connotation to the skinny feminine gay dudes?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Agents are GO! posted:

Can we not do the "PYF Slurs" thing for once, please?

Search your heart, you know the answer

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Len posted:

Grew up in the US and our kid leagues were called that but I did grow up in Ohio which is Ohio

oh, well. Yeah, it's Ohio. So I guess it is/was used. But lots of stuff was and is that isn't ok.

I'd also like to request we don't make this the PYF slurs thread, like high schoolers getting a chance to say drat and rear end in class because they're reading Shakespeare.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

...! posted:

Now that I think about it, it is odd that I never heard people pitch a fit over the gender change coffin. Especially since chuds were throwing around a ton of gross transphobic poo poo (especially slurs) about Gwyndolin from the first game ...and he wasn't even trans! But then the second game let you change your own gender whenever you want, but not even a peep from those same people.

Edit: I was wrong. I just googled out of curiosity and there definitely is a lot of transphobia out there about that drat coffin. Somehow I was never aware of it.

A lot of this poo poo is incredibly easy to ignore if you don't literally actively seek it out. It's mostly literally just the same guys complaining about literally everything hoping to get clicks. It's a symbiotic ecosystem of clout-chasers.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PancakeTransmission posted:

Twink is not a slur if you're part of the community and tbh I'm not sure the term used in early MMOs has any related connotation to the skinny feminine gay dudes?

Iirc it is related: Twink originally referred to the young boyfriends of older well to do men who showered them with expensive gifts, just like Twinks in MMOs have gear they couldn't get on their own.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Agents are GO! posted:

Iirc it is related: Twink originally referred to the young boyfriends of older well to do men who showered them with expensive gifts, just like Twinks in MMOs have gear they couldn't get on their own.

I thought twinks (in terms of gay slang) were skinny gay guys without a lot of body hair. Often young, but not necessarily. It's definitely used as an insult sometimes, but I don't think it's a slur. And I don't think the age of their partner really enters into it.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Arivia posted:

(Apparently midget was replaced with Tink in borderlands 3, anyway!)

Wait really? Tink is a slur for the Roma/Traveller community in Britain and Ireland 🤦🏻‍♀️

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Peanut Butter posted:

Wait really? Tink is a slur for the Roma/Traveller community in Britain and Ireland 🤦🏻‍♀️

im starting to feel like the british are the common problem here

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of them are still around because they're full of asbestos :v:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
RETVRN TO STVCCO

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Air Skwirl posted:

I thought twinks (in terms of gay slang) were skinny gay guys without a lot of body hair. Often young, but not necessarily. It's definitely used as an insult sometimes, but I don't think it's a slur. And I don't think the age of their partner really enters into it.
It's both.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Platystemon posted:

It was not rounding, but it is possible that people lie on Internet polls.

As long as the vast majority of people are still clicking the "No" option, that's good. Guy most likely assumed most men would click the "Yes" option and most women the "No" option.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I love this trend of conservatives making concern-posts with AI pictures that completely distract from whatever point they're trying to make.

Also lol that AIs are so internet poisoned they can't spell "vote".

"Vo-te!" :argh:

"Vo-re?" :confused:

wash bucket has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Nov 10, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pokémon skibidi to the polls!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7K5LSsJN90&t=76s

This scene but it's developers trying to train an AI to produce a SFW picture of a fox.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Peanut Butter posted:

I've never heard it shortened to that, in Ireland anyway.
It used to be a legitimate term for traveling metalworkers who specialized in repairing household stuff like pots and pans, but it became a derogatory term for all traveller people.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure the main reason for textured walls was to camouflage how uneven and crappy most plaster jobs were before the advent of drywall and/or modern plastering equipment. They are a pain in the rear end to keep clean and it's pretty much impossible to match the texture up if you have to redo part of them for electrical work or whatever. There is no reason to install one in the modern day, may as well ask why no one seems to keep a chamber pot around anymore.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
My favorite slur is “honkaloid” which is one Chris Rock came up with for white people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That sounds like some kind of hologram clown.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah they already said it was for white people

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

this is wrong, it's actually a slur that the LPA has (and other little person advocacy groups have) requested people stop using. And, growing up in the US, I've never heard of any league called that. Peewee and Junior are the terms I've heard.

Do you know what word the community that now considers that term a slur would rather people use? I heard in a roundabout way that it had become considered a slur now but never got a solid answer on what the preferred term should be.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pookah posted:

I've never heard it shortened to that, in Ireland anyway.
It used to be a legitimate term for traveling metalworkers who specialized in repairing household stuff like pots and pans, but it became a derogatory term for all traveller people.

Uh wow, I thought the Roma-equivalent people in Wheel of Time being called the "Tinkers" and being known for repairing pots and pans was an innovation in the story, didn't realize that was an actual thing associated with the real people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dameius posted:

Do you know what word the community that now considers that term a slur would rather people use? I heard in a roundabout way that it had become considered a slur now but never got a solid answer on what the preferred term should be.

Dwarf or little person, last I heard.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The term preferred by Little People of America and other little person advocacy groups, I would assume from context, is little person/people.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah thats where the saying "if Ifs and Ands were pots and pans thered be no trade for Tinkers"comes from

Hihohe has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Nov 10, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No more slurchat, please.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

edit: just saw mod note.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Breaching Elonthread containment

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Screen door on a submarine, a classic idiom about humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

E:
Disregard