Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Live action ATLA trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=waJKJW_XU90

It’s a step up from the movie at least

Low bar to clear there. I'm still against live-action remakes of cartoons on a fundamental level (plus it's weird to do as a streaming thing on the platform where the original is already right there) but I guess this looks decent enough? I guess the One Piece show was a big hit so maybe Netflix could actually pull this one off too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, but live action One Piece turned out to be way better than anyone expected it to so I’ll at least give this one a fair shot

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wasn’t this the same live action adaptation that the creative leads of the original walked off of, though?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Low bar to clear there. I'm still against live-action remakes of cartoons on a fundamental level (plus it's weird to do as a streaming thing on the platform where the original is already right there) but I guess this looks decent enough? I guess the One Piece show was a big hit so maybe Netflix could actually pull this one off too?

My only issue with casting is Azula has a real baby face.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Wasn’t this the same live action adaptation that the creative leads of the original walked off of, though?

It is, yes. But it looks competent so far at least

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm actually rewatching the cartoon now, since I just got the BD boxset. And man. The transition may be a little too on-the-nose visually. Because having literally just watched most of those scene over the last couple days, seeing them in live action is breaking my brain.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dawgstar posted:

My only issue with casting is Azula has a real baby face.

Azula's supposed to be like 14 believe it or not, baby face might work.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
They should really have just aged up everyone by like, 3-4 years if they're committed to this. A 14 year old military commander is something you can just roll with in a cartoon or anime, it looks ridiculous in a live action series that takes itself as seriously as this seems.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe they're going for an enders game type thing with it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mycot posted:

They should really have just aged up everyone by like, 3-4 years if they're committed to this. A 14 year old military commander is something you can just roll with in a cartoon or anime, it looks ridiculous in a live action series that takes itself as seriously as this seems.

Keep in mind, the Fire Nation is also a fascist monarchy led by an insane person. So "listen to what this 14 year old girl tells you to do or Fire Lord Ozai will burn you to death" is a very strong explanatory reason.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Keep in mind, the Fire Nation is also a fascist monarchy led by an insane person. So "listen to what this 14 year old girl tells you to do or Fire Lord Ozai will burn you to death" is a very strong explanatory reason.

Also said girl herself is batshit insane and only becomes more unhinged as the series goes on (also she's just as likely to kill you as her dad is if not more so)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 10, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Azula's supposed to be like 14 believe it or not, baby face might work.

It's true, I do forget that everybody is much more tween age in the original.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
But Azula isn't portrayed like, a King Joffrey Baratheon type who is obviously a puppet who can't actually lead or fight. She's intended to be a threatening villain who is taken seriously by the audience. Sure, fire powers are a good equalizer but it's just one of those things that becomes more unbelievable when taken out of the medium.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I dunno what you people are talking about. Teenage girls are the most terrifying people on the planet.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Grey Delisle really helped sell Azula's terrifyingness as well

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The thing is that Grey DeLisle's Azula voice doesn't actually sound anything like a real 14-year-old and if you cast an actual 14-year-old to play her in live action you will quickly discover why.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m also curious how this series is going to work around Netflix’s episode limits regarding seasons (especially since characters like Azula have already been cast), either it won’t be a complete 1:1 adaptation or they’re going to abridge some stuff

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Would Azula be a Swiftie? :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Azula runs the Fire Nation's TikTok propaganda efforts.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

can't believe they're going through with this. i thought it was dead in the water after the original creators bailed

mycot posted:

exactly what i was thinking

the rest of it...seems decent. CGI looks quite competent

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, but those same creators walked off the show for undisclosed creative reasons only to announce a major deal with Nickelodeon a few weeks later to continue the Avatar universe.

I'm fairly sure they only left the live action show because the Nick offer came along.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was watching Frasier last night and the ad that came on before it was for a TV movie Goodburger 2 starring Keenan and Kel coming later this month. I had literally not heard anything about this, was anybody aware of this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AlternateNu posted:

I dunno what you people are talking about. Teenage girls are the most terrifying people on the planet.

Yeah, and Azula in particular is basically a mix of go-getter preppy queen bee and if a Heathers alpha bitch had built in flamethrowers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I was watching Frasier last night and the ad that came on before it was for a TV movie Goodburger 2 starring Keenan and Kel coming later this month. I had literally not heard anything about this, was anybody aware of this?

Yes and it's amazing they managed to outdo Space Jam on "movies that really shouldn't get a sequel but gently caress it sure let's do it because of misplaced nostalgia"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Goodburger ruled though

I'd bet money Goodburger 2 is better than Clerks 2, the most similar premise I can think of

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Yes and it's amazing they managed to outdo Space Jam on "movies that really shouldn't get a sequel but gently caress it sure let's do it because of misplaced nostalgia"

At the very least this one is probably going to be better than New Legacy though

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

At the very least this one is probably going to be better than New Legacy though

That's a low-rear end bar to clear but honestly I think a premise like Good Burger 2 might manage to wiggle under it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do Keenan and/or Kel still have ongoing careers these days for that matter?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kenan Thompson is the longest-tenured SNL cast member of all time

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If he sticks a few more seasons he will have been on over 50% of SNL seasons.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Kel Mitchell hasn't had as illustrious a career as Kenan Thompson, but he's done well for himself. Dozens of single-episode appearances on TV shows, a lot of reality TV in recent years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Apparently they brought back All That a few years ago, and Kel was there just straight up doing Good Burger again which I suppose some people would look at as sad but he probably made more money doing that than I do in a month so good for him

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's karma for him dropping the screw in the tuna

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Apparently they brought back All That a few years ago, and Kel was there just straight up doing Good Burger again which I suppose some people would look at as sad but he probably made more money doing that than I do in a month so good for him

Huh, never knew that (though it was basically just a kid friendly SNL so I’m not surprised either). Was the revival any good and how much of the original cast were they able to get back?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if All That holds up after all these years, I used to love that show. And I also wonder how the other former cast members of All That have been doing since they acted in that show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw Lori Beth Denberg in the trailer for Goodburger 2.

Amanda Bynes has been in a lot of movies and television but personally isn't doing well and has had to get some help in recent years.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if All That holds up after all these years, I used to love that show. And I also wonder how the other former cast members of All That have been doing since they acted in that show.

it wasn't from the 90s, but i saw one of those reunion specials from a couple of years ago, which had kenan, kel, and josh reprise their roles as principle pimpel, coach kreeton, and detective dan, and it was still pretty drat funny imo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I saw Lori Beth Denberg in the trailer for Goodburger 2.

Amanda Bynes has been in a lot of movies and television but personally isn't doing well and has had to get some help in recent years.

Lori Beth doesn’t seem to have done much of note aside from that though (mostly a lot of walk on roles judging by her wiki page)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always have a soft spot for stupid punchlines like Kenan's chocolate chef from his stint on The Amanda Show, where the whole joke is that he makes items out of chocolate that have no logical reason to exist, and the punchline is always something like
"Yeah, but how is a chocolate shower supposed to get you clean?"
"I HAVE NO IDEA :v:!"

I just love his constant refrain that he both doesn't know or care how to make something useful, he's just making stuff out of chocolate for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Kenan’s final skit on SNL should be Pierre Escargot.