Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I like having wireless charging that requires even less thought than just plopping it on a desktop dock

Until you miss the magnet entirely and you're just flailing around like a moron (my default state tbqh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, I do a lot of flailing around, and sometimes discover that I wasn't quite on it and went all night without charging. I blame the camera bump, it fucks me up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Still better than flailing around for the wire that slipped behind the nightstand or whatever.

You're gonna flail one way or another.. might as well use magnets to guide you once you get close enough.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Grumbles posted:

the pop socket is the single most degenerate phone accessory

even moreso than those landscape orientation game controller mounts that make your phone look like a nintendo switch

It works well to lift your phone off gross surfaces you might put it on, and is easily removed for cleaning.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Does anyone have a favorite weather app? The apple default weather app straight up lies in Seattle for some reason.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

Still better than flailing around for the wire that slipped behind the nightstand or whatever.

You're gonna flail one way or another.. might as well use magnets to guide you once you get close enough.

It’s more flailing than I had to do with a charging dock on my nightstand but less than when I was using a cable. Solid middle flail ground.

Talorat posted:

Does anyone have a favorite weather app? The apple default weather app straight up lies in Seattle for some reason.

Weawow

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Grumbles posted:

the pop socket is the single most degenerate phone accessory

Griptape for life

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Talorat posted:

I use the weather network app since the widget shows actual + humidity/wind chill temperatures instead of high-low.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 8, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

rafikki posted:

I think we discussed it a month or two ago but my wife and I really like the apple magsafe battery charger. It doesn't have a ton of capacity but it's enough to keep us going if we're out and about all day and fits nicely into a pocket. Not having to run a wire from a battery bank is a nice QoL upgrade, though I still carry one in my backpack just in case. Apparently Apple discontinued them when the 15 came out for some reason but pretty sure you can still get them on Amazon for now.

Anker makes like a 5000 mAh one that sticks really well to the Apple MagSafe silicon case on my 15 Pro. Not a huge capacity, but good one for an extra charge and a half or whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're a big details of the weather nerd, Windy is pretty great.

But that's just me, I like flipping through the layers seeing what's going on.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

rafikki posted:

I think we discussed it a month or two ago but my wife and I really like the apple magsafe battery charger. It doesn't have a ton of capacity but it's enough to keep us going if we're out and about all day and fits nicely into a pocket. Not having to run a wire from a battery bank is a nice QoL upgrade, though I still carry one in my backpack just in case. Apparently Apple discontinued them when the 15 came out for some reason but pretty sure you can still get them on Amazon for now.

My assumption would be a usbc one is forthcoming

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mister Facetious posted:

I use the weather network app since the widget shows actual + humidity/wind chill temperatures instead of high-low.

I used a website or app once that would say if it was colder/hotter, rainier etc. than yesterday. Is there one around?

also dual display of Celsius/Fahrenheit would be cool so i can communicate the weather to Americans without changing settings :)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wish they’d find a way to make magnetic usb-c a thing. I have so much trouble trying to make the connection. Because the usb-c connector has a hole in the male part I’m more worried than with lightning that a misaligned insertion will scratch the phone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I used a website or app once that would say if it was colder/hotter, rainier etc. than yesterday. Is there one around?

sounds like something Carrot weather would do

quote:

also dual display of Celsius/Fahrenheit would be cool so i can communicate the weather to Americans without changing settings :)

Agreed, but I haven't messed with the settings for any weather app I've tried beyond getting current humidex/windchill

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Talorat posted:

I'm fond of Wunderground and have been using it for years. I spend like $20 a year to make it no ads.

edit: I also use Mr. Chilly but it's specifically for San Francisco.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I realized that I hate wunderground app because it makes me scroll through forecasts horizontally on my tall skinny phone screen instead of vertically like every other weather app.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
MagSafe is awesome for the car.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aphrodite posted:

The only MagSafe accessories that exist still are stands (whether charging or not), pop socket alternatives and wallets.

It hasn’t really taken off.

I don't know what else people would really want from it but it's absolutely taken off and succeeded at exactly what it meant to and a few novel things like this:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I love my MagSafe car mount. My partner and I both you MagSafe chargers at our nightstands, as well as MagSafe wallets.

I just put a MagSafe charger in the backseat of my car for friends after picking up a usb c car charger for $9.

My MagSafe charger with built in stand is nice for nightstand mode at my desk, although there are bugs.

The chargers are cheap enough nowadays that the convenience is nice.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 9, 2023

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I have videos downloaded on my phone in various apps like YouTube and Disney+. Is it possible to play these on my Mac using a hardline between the two? I know Airplay works great for this but I'd like to be able to do this without wifi.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

This got very quietly added to the options under setting a schedule for Do Not Disturb. Does anyone actually know specifically how it works and what it looks for or is this another one of those Apple things where the only option is to shut the gently caress up and trust the magical AI to know what I want? I know one parameter is it'll turn on DND if you start a screen recording.

E: i think imgur isn't embedding or something so here's a url: https://imgur.com/a/1dNUgtc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know what else people would really want from it but it's absolutely taken off and succeeded at exactly what it meant to and a few novel things like this:

That's a stand.

Everything is Kicker(stand).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do you want like a MagSafe hand mixer or something?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want a MagSafe hair dryer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

KitchenAid Data Grinder attachment, thank you very much.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm bummed we haven't seen any MagSafe compatible guns

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I want a Magsafe pipboy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want a MagSafe iPhone so I can dual-wield iPhones like liquid metal extensions of my arms

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Endless Mike posted:

I want a MagSafe iPhone so I can dual-wield iPhones like liquid metal extensions of my arms

If two people's phones match up in the real world magnetically, does that make them iSoulmates?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A MagSafe implant in the palm of my hand would be nice

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

They should really put a MagSafe ring on the outside of MacBooks and iMacs to lock the phone in place and charge it for continuity camera.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I want a block of wood with a MagSafe ring embedded into it, so I can put the block of wood in my selfie stick clamp and then MagSafe the phone on and off the selfie stick.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I want a MagSafe pony.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Can MagSafe transfer data? Would be quite cool to have a MagSafe socket in your car that you plop your phone in and it immediately hooks it up to CarPlay.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

TACD posted:

Can MagSafe transfer data? Would be quite cool to have a MagSafe socket in your car that you plop your phone in and it immediately hooks it up to CarPlay.

wireless carplay is already a thing so all you really need is a magsafe charging mount in your car, which is what both of our cars have

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Magsafe sex toys, to cut down on duct tape waste

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone used the Streaks workout app and can vouch for whether it's any good? Don't need anything fancy, just something that will give me a simple guided (as in, it'll loudly say what exercise to move onto next so I'm not looking at my phone screen while trying to do sit ups) 10 minute workout each day that varies mildly and that doesn't require a subscription.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TACD posted:

It can transfer data, but only at like bits / second speed.

That's how the phone updates the MagSafe charger.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone used the Streaks workout app and can vouch for whether it's any good? Don't need anything fancy, just something that will give me a simple guided (as in, it'll loudly say what exercise to move onto next so I'm not looking at my phone screen while trying to do sit ups) 10 minute workout each day that varies mildly and that doesn't require a subscription.

I used it ages ago and it was pretty good, letting you pick exercises and then allowing you to pick from presets between 7 and 30 minutes as well as designing your own. It was pretty flawless imo, watch integration was also very good. Just loaded it up and checked, looks about the same.

Can’t vouch for voiceover but the display
shows what you have to do in a very straightforward way.

I should get back on it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Zwille posted:

I used it ages ago and it was pretty good, letting you pick exercises and then allowing you to pick from presets between 7 and 30 minutes as well as designing your own. It was pretty flawless imo, watch integration was also very good. Just loaded it up and checked, looks about the same.

Can’t vouch for voiceover but the display
shows what you have to do in a very straightforward way.

I should get back on it :v:
Might give it a shot this weekend then - thanks!