Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Kale posted:

I just realized I have absolutely no idea what the flagship event in 4.2 is cause I never actually watched that part of the livestream. :lol:

some diving poo poo with freminent (who is the reward character). seems to be a kind of repeat of the 4.0 event, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

some diving poo poo with freminent (who is the reward character). seems to be a kind of repeat of the 4.0 event, tbh

Man if 4.1 somehow ends up having the best flagship event story of the Fontaine arc........

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

True. Also he could in theory be a driver for like Nilou Bloom? But then I'd want to give him completely different artifacts and his support wouldn't be as good so eh.

Yeah it's less a thing I rely on and more "a nice upside to realizing I absolutely brought the wrong team into this situation."

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It might be prudent to start prefarming Navia's local specialty (Spring of the First Dewdrop) pretty early. There's not a vast number of them, and the fact that they're all spread out on the Z axis underwater makes tracking them all down a real pain, even with a map.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dang 4.2 took Furina from "a character that exists that I think is pretty cool" to "my absolute favorite character in this game"

good poo poo hoyo

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
^^^ same

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Much as I would almost prefer your interpretation because it's cooler and casts Celestia in worse light, I'm pretty sure the Divine Nails aren't weapons, or even punishments. They weren't dropped on disobedient civilizations, they were installed after the war between the First and Second Descenders -- which completely hosed up the entire world with collateral damage -- to keep the Abyss from leaking. They're last-ditch efforts at making amends and keeping the status quo going, not rods from god. Well, except in the most literal sense. :v:

Similarly, the reason we haven't had some other response to all the rebellion and disobedience that Fontaine and, frankly, probably the Tsaritsa even moreso have been up to I think whoever's still in charge in Celestia is the broken ruin of the being they were before and they're barely hanging on to power.

This latest quest revealed that Gnoses and the Archons' thrones weren't there all along, they were a late addition to the system -- probably a necessary one given none of the Archons we've met so far seem to actually like Celestia that much or obey it except when absolutely cornered.

Given the context of the Narwhal and the Eldritch Horror From Beyond vibes it gives me, I'm starting to think the Heavenly Principles/whoever's in charge of Celestia might actually be busy fighting/managing even more dangerous things hence a seeming failure to respond to the goings-on in Teyvat

Also the narwhal seeking out primordial water and by extension life created from it makes me think that Celestia/Heavenly Principles punishes doing things like what Egeria did because it attracts said Eldritch Horrors

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

rio posted:

With how profitable it is other companies will and are following that pity system, which sucks. Except for die hard defenders I don’t think players like 50/50s either.

During the Wuthering Waves beta we saw that Kuro tried to slip in a 50/50 system into their gacha (despite PGR, their current game, having a very fair and well regarded gacha) and there was enough blowback that they are reconsidering it (along with many other things for that game). However I doubt many other companies will be as magnanimous, since the 50/50 system really encourages spending.

There’s nothing like feeling you earned (with time, money or both) a limited character only to be hosed in the rear end and then that feeling drives impulse spending and/or increased engagement. It’s just too effective to *not* use if a company isn’t concerned about player experience. I mean why does HSR use this system instead of the arguably better gacha system from HI3? The big issue though when it er companies copy it is they will probably leave out soft pity entirely.

The gacha system in HI3 is way worse :psyduck: it costs more money per roll, the pity numbers for a 5* characters are about the same, and characters are basically kneecapped without their 4 gear pieces of gacha gear with their own special pity that does not carry over to future banners.

That works out to 300 rolls to get a character at their baseline effectiveness at 30bucks per 10 pull. Genshin needs max 180 (realistically ~160) to get a character at 20bux per 10 pull and while the weapon banner loving sucks, at least characters don't have literal parts of their kit dependant on the weapon, and weapons don't have their effects locked to a specific character. Yeah I prefer genshins system even with 50/50 and it's not even close. Even if you do consider genshin weapons necessary, if you do the math assuming max pity/max epitomized path it literally costs the same as HI3.

In the end gacha companies are trying to extract the most money out of players, if they really were "magnanimous" they would make games that cost a one time fee or sub for access to all characters or at least let us buy characters for a flat fee.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh jesus christ when I posted that I hadnt yet gotten to the parts of 4.2 that are genuinely so uncomfortable to read and experience that I'm finding it hard to progress

There is some hosed up poo poo in this game. Man.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Meowywitch posted:

Oh jesus christ when I posted that I hadnt yet gotten to the parts of 4.2 that are genuinely so uncomfortable to read and experience that I'm finding it hard to progress

There is some hosed up poo poo in this game. Man.

When I got to the point in the AQ where the quest title was just Apocalypse, I was just "okay, so we're really doing this, huh? cool"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

What a loving story, make it an anime immediately.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I do appreciate a good infodump and drat the story did some very interesting things there, but my god, that was like 2 hours of straight cutscenes with an ocasional mouse click required.

And having now finished the Fontaine archon quest, does anyone else find it hilarious that despite being a normal human/non-archon, Furina is arguably the strongest hydro off-field/buffer in the game? Hell, I don't even know how she got a vision, unless Neuvilette gave a (fake?) one to her after she quit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Furina's story quest is extremely important as an epilogue, unlike other archon story 1 quests.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tae posted:

Furina's story quest is extremely important as an epilogue, unlike other archon story 1 quests.

I'm kind of surprised that she basically disappeared from the plot after she was sentenced, it's disappointing. I hope she has a chance to truly be happy now though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Why was there no loving hug

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I wonder when, or if, we're going to start meeting characters like Rhinedottir and Skirk's master. Maybe already setting up post-Celestia arcs?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

I'm kind of surprised that she basically disappeared from the plot after she was sentenced, it's disappointing. I hope she has a chance to truly be happy now though

it was disappointing sure but once her role was exposed, her role in the story was done. she had no power of her own and nothing else to do. part of why she could straight-up disappear, wander off on her own, and everyone involved just let her. which is part of why her follow-up story quest is so much more important than virtually any other character's to date.

a lot of people needed hugs after all that.

sushibandit posted:

I do appreciate a good infodump and drat the story did some very interesting things there, but my god, that was like 2 hours of straight cutscenes with an ocasional mouse click required.

And having now finished the Fontaine archon quest, does anyone else find it hilarious that despite being a normal human/non-archon, Furina is arguably the strongest hydro off-field/buffer in the game? Hell, I don't even know how she got a vision, unless Neuvilette gave a (fake?) one to her after she quit.

if i remember right, and it's been a while, Ei heavily impllies during the Inazuma archon quest that the archons are not the ones that determine who gets visions. the fact that Furina gets one after the death of Focalors and the throne of the hydro archon confirms it. note Furina doesn't receive her vision until after the play finishes - it's not on her dress until the final cutscene.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Neuvilette has a newly unlocked character story that's about "what creates visions"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MajorBonnet posted:

I wonder when, or if, we're going to start meeting characters like Rhinedottir and Skirk's master. Maybe already setting up post-Celestia arcs?

There is a very good chance that Skirk's master is Kevin Kaslana.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

UHD posted:

if i remember right, and it's been a while, Ei heavily impllies during the Inazuma archon quest that the archons are not the ones that determine who gets visions. the fact that Furina gets one after the death of Focalors and the throne of the hydro archon confirms it. note Furina doesn't receive her vision until after the play finishes - it's not on her dress until the final cutscene.

Furina character quest spoilers:

She gets it during the play as part of the scene. Paimon was supposed to drop a prop vision but didn't have to because the real one materialised.

Ferrous fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 10, 2023

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So... Mono Hydro is actually kind of a thing with Furina. Kokomi/Yelan/Kazuha/Furina. Drop Furina's pals and Burst, have Kazuha do his thing, set up the Yelan Burst and generate energy with her skill, then swap to Kokomi, Q, and spam. 3/4 of your party are built like freight trains and you have infinite healing, so you can just facetank everything (Kokomi can probably just run HP% goblet with Furina+Yelan buffs and get even swoler). Also probably scales in a very silly manner with Yelan C4, Furina C2, and Kazuha C6 (but what doesn't get better with a better Kazuha).

EDIT: Just 36 starred Abyss with it, it's a pretty smooth rotation and is incredibly forgiving. Just don't run it against anything Hydro immune.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 10, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ferrous posted:

Furina character quest spoilers:

She gets it during the play as part of the scene. Paimon was supposed to drop a prop vision but didn't have to because the real one materialised.

I know, i remember that part well. The open question is who doles them out, if anyone

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Xun posted:

The gacha system in HI3 is way worse :psyduck: it costs more money per roll, the pity numbers for a 5* characters are about the same, and characters are basically kneecapped without their 4 gear pieces of gacha gear with their own special pity that does not carry over to future banners.

That works out to 300 rolls to get a character at their baseline effectiveness at 30bucks per 10 pull. Genshin needs max 180 (realistically ~160) to get a character at 20bux per 10 pull and while the weapon banner loving sucks, at least characters don't have literal parts of their kit dependant on the weapon, and weapons don't have their effects locked to a specific character. Yeah I prefer genshins system even with 50/50 and it's not even close. Even if you do consider genshin weapons necessary, if you do the math assuming max pity/max epitomized path it literally costs the same as HI3.

In the end gacha companies are trying to extract the most money out of players, if they really were "magnanimous" they would make games that cost a one time fee or sub for access to all characters or at least let us buy characters for a flat fee.

Regarding HI3, every other character (rounding it out out) is free and they only require 30 pulls per piece of gear. So you aren’t seeing the 100 pull pity when those characters release since they are grindable to max rank (SSS) with no cost to the player. That’s one of the biggest differences in currency economy since you are getting a lot of characters for free (all SP units and war treasury S ranks, on top of just lucking into Dorm valks, though many of those are out of date). When you do have to pull a character soft pity is around 25, 20 or so but you’re getting a character 100%.

Most characters will function (as in they feel complete) with only their weapon, and despite it not being documented officially weapons seem to have much higher rates. I got four weapons full gearing the most recent character, with the weapon being the first thing I got, and on the other new gear introduced I got the weapon in 11 pulls and stopped because the gear only provides roughly a 10% damage increase.

F2p is in no way expecting to full gear a character in HI3 so if you’re going to make that assumption then you need to add getting the weapon for every character into Genshin too to make the comparison at least slightly equal. You’re also usually not going anywhere near 200 pulls for full gearing a character with how the averages work.

As time has gone on, HI3 has pushed players harder in terms of encouraging spending but there are still f2p players in Nirvana, though not many, and a lot in RL and I’d say if you are maintaining RL you’re basically getting everything the game offers as an experience. Even if just staying at agony 3, which is very doable since it doesn’t require fully built teams in any way, you are missing out on a fairly inconsequential amount of crystals.

Lastly implying that somehow a good player experience *needs* predation to make a profit is sad to see - it isn’t just be a gacha or be a one time fee/monthly sub game. There are games with good gachas and bad gachas; it isn’t black and white like you’re implying. All I’m saying is Genshin’s gacha isn’t one of the good ones. HI3 isn’t even one of the best even if it is better than Genshin’s system imo. PGR has one of the best if you’re unfamiliar with it. The gacha system is tied directly to monthly currency income and it’s not a coincidence that genshin gives you roughly enough to get a 50/50, because when you fail it you’re going to want to spend or play more.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

OK so it sounds like I really need to do Furina's story quest

Hopefully the traveler is less mean to her in it?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Meowywitch posted:

OK so it sounds like I really need to do Furina's story quest

Hopefully the traveler is less mean to her in it?

Its a really solid bow on her arc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think its good that the traveler actually has a relationship with furina that isnt the same as their relationship with every other character in the game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leraika posted:

sunglasses existed in 1700s europe and in fact have existed in their current form (tinted lenses in frame) since roughly the 1300s

Navia grew up in the city with walking bipedal and wheeled mining robots. By the time colored glass is figured out, sunglasses should be the least of your concern.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

i think its good that the traveler actually has a relationship with furina that isnt the same as their relationship with every other character in the game

Still havent Story Quested, but I guess I just think Furina has suffered enough and I am actually pretty sad she still has a 100% unapproval rating from her people

Perhaps this is my fault though, because I was totally expecting a feelgoody-esque "Oh she was protecting us this entire time, regardless of it all, she truly was our Hydro Archon!" but nope. More suffering for Furina.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Finally pulled one Charlotte. Time to Fatal Frame my way through Fontaine

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Meowywitch posted:

Still havent Story Quested, but I guess I just think Furina has suffered enough and I am actually pretty sad she still has a 100% unapproval rating from her people

Perhaps this is my fault though, because I was totally expecting a feelgoody-esque "Oh she was protecting us this entire time, regardless of it all, she truly was our Hydro Archon!" but nope. More suffering for Furina.

the whole country loves Milkshake Archon, a lovely god who drinks milkshakes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean the thing that turns me around is that the game specifically didn't go for that pat ending. I entirely expecting the ending of the archon quest to be everyone in a circle of Furina clapping and telling her congratulations.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Personally I was really hoping for a "Searing of Ascalon" type outcome, for at least part of the quest if not permanently, where the entirety of Fontaine is completely submerged but I guess that would have taken too much effort.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The people of Fontaine suck.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

sushibandit posted:

Personally I was really hoping for a "Searing of Ascalon" type outcome, for at least part of the quest if not permanently, where the entirety of Fontaine is completely submerged but I guess that would have taken too much effort.

That is what I want. I am holding out hope that the Dain quest is Celestia Strikes Back. Celestia being completely asleep at the wheel is not a very exciting plotline I want my Befall moment drat it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

rio posted:

As time has gone on, HI3 has pushed players harder in terms of encouraging spending but there are still f2p players in Nirvana, though not many, and a lot in RL and I’d say if you are maintaining RL you’re basically getting everything the game offers as an experience. Even if just staying at agony 3, which is very doable since it doesn’t require fully built teams in any way, you are missing out on a fairly inconsequential amount of crystals.

Lastly implying that somehow a good player experience *needs* predation to make a profit is sad to see - it isn’t just be a gacha or be a one time fee/monthly sub game. There are games with good gachas and bad gachas; it isn’t black and white like you’re implying. All I’m saying is Genshin’s gacha isn’t one of the good ones. HI3 isn’t even one of the best even if it is better than Genshin’s system imo. PGR has one of the best if you’re unfamiliar with it. The gacha system is tied directly to monthly currency income and it’s not a coincidence that genshin gives you roughly enough to get a 50/50, because when you fail it you’re going to want to spend or play more.

I'm not really sure how you got that a good experience needs predation to make a profit from what I said. If a company didn't want to predate on players they wouldn't be making a gacha game in the first place. I suppose what I am trying to point out that these games are all predatory and when you get down to it it costs 900 dollars to get a complete character with all their gear in HI3 and 920 for one in genshin. You are reading a lot of "implying" going on here.

Honestly I feel way more pressured to spend in HI3 because as a casual ftp player there is no way I'm saving up enough rolls for even one geared out character in a patch and there's a counter in your face saying "oh but you could in just this many more rolls!" Also if you actually you know, check the drop rates it is a 4.958% chance to get a weapon vs 7.437% for the stigmas. It is literally illegal to lie about that poo poo.

Xun fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 10, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Xun posted:

I'm not really sure how you got that a good experience needs predation to make a profit from what I said. If a company didn't want to predate on players they wouldn't be making a gacha game in the first place. I suppose what I am trying to point out that these games are all predatory and when you get down to it it costs 900 dollars to get a complete character with all their gear in HI3 and 920 for one in genshin. You are reading a lot of "implying" going on here.

Honestly I feel way more pressured to spend in HI3 because as a casual ftp player there is no way I'm saving up enough rolls for even one geared out character in a patch and there's a counter in your face saying "oh but you could in just this many more rolls!"

Yeah for what it's worth HI3 is the game that got me to start a spreadsheet of every time I swipe to be aware of what I spend, because it got me to spend a lot really fast and it's just sooo easy to do in that game. I've had other say it's the more generous one before and I just do not see it. Genshin/SR can vacuum as much money out of you, but in those games it feels like I do it because I want the extras, but in HI3 I NEED the extras for the character to be baseline usable.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ok, I know it's the whole point of challenges like the current event, but having not played between mid-Sumeru until the end of the Neuv banner, I gotta say...this Lyney fella seems pretty fun. And I hate archers!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wasted a lot of time on this stupid puzzle because I didn't realize you could combine 2 water bubbles to make a big explodey one. Maybe I should have read the tutorials lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

i mean, does it matter what the people of fontaine think of her? she gets to leave and live her own life after all this time. thats the happy feelgood ending for her. she actually gets to be her own person. thats why she leaves at the end of the quest and isnt hanging around, becuase its the best possible thing for her.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

wasted a lot of time on this stupid puzzle because I didn't realize you could combine 2 water bubbles to make a big explodey one. Maybe I should have read the tutorials lol

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

But she probably has no idea how to live or take care of herself after dedicating 500 years pretending to be somebody else. I find it very tragic. 500 years of difficult-to-impossible to fix emotional trauma too