Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol one of his negatives was a woman beating him and laughing and he called it luck and was bitter about it. Then he goes on to merrily describe himself as a gaybasher. Someone needs to take Redemption from him until he redeems himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Khanstant posted:

Lol one of his negatives was a woman beating him and laughing and he called it luck and was bitter about it. Then he goes on to merrily describe himself as a gaybasher. Someone needs to take Redemption from him until he redeems himself.

It’s obvious satire.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TacoNight posted:

It’s obvious satire.
Tbf to that guy the type of person who plays a jesus card game is gonna be hard to distinguish from satire

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cactrot posted:

If you are not following The Resleevables, you are missing out on big stupid pieces of magic history like this

If you have the time, the show is a real treat.

That was pretty fun, went through a few of those and I'm enjoying the look back to when I was playing. Upset with how badly they bagged the Fallen Empires story section though, it was a fun setting about 5 civilizations falling to opposing factions in their own color. Elves make thallids for food to address the climate change, Merfolk get overrun by migrating Homarids, Dwaves get Tolkiened by Orcs, Humans fall to a religious cult and a cult makes thralls for sacrifice that rebel. It could've worked out a lot better if each faction had more then like 4 cards to flesh them out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://x.com/chosler/status/1721228691425100246?s=46&t=6TcDRv5TsjsK9hYJMKVitA

Cedh strikes again. It appears a TO accepted money to host an event and paid themselves first and it seems that the money ran out when time to pay judges.

They also seem to run a consignment scam for altered cards that is going about as well. There is a lot of "consignment" in the magic card selling groups these days and I highly suggest you take extreme care with these. A fairly large MTG selling Facebook locally is ran by people who only sell consigned magic cards and its pretty stinky. Consignment turns into a sellers dream, they pay for none of the inventory, their "mistakes" turn into pure profit, and the people they consign for shoulder all the risk.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 6, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So Monarch was "hired by" Mythic to run an event, but then allegedly didn't actually get paid by Mythic for anything? They took in their own money separately through vendor fees (at someone else's convention?) and were then going to pay judges through playmat sales, while Mythic just pockets the ticket prices?

That is an absolutely insane way to structure a deal, something smells here.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jabor posted:

So Monarch was "hired by" Mythic to run an event, but then allegedly didn't actually get paid by Mythic for anything? They took in their own money separately through vendor fees (at someone else's convention?) and were then going to pay judges through playmat sales, while Mythic just pockets the ticket prices?

That is an absolutely insane way to structure a deal, something smells here.

https://x.com/Mythic_Lotus/status/1721307604276687243?s=20

From the looks of it, for judges specifically were budgeted for by Mythic to paid in the contract but because of other shortfalls, Monarch pocketed that money and didnt pass it to the judges. It seems Monarch are claiming mythic caused those other shortfalls. Monarch is claiming they lost money in running the event as a TO (which isn't surprising) but its mitigating losses by stiffing their own staff and blaming the client.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what are "consigned" magic cards? fakes?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kalel posted:

what are "consigned" magic cards? fakes?

Two pretty common situations.

1: I want to sell my collection. I find out that people don't want to buy collections except for 40-60 cents on the dollar, if at all. Selling my collection myself piece-by- piece is hard and time consuming. Someone sees me trying to sell my collection and says "I will sell it for you for a % of the profit". This will probably be the first message you get when you post "i want to sell my collection" anywhere. I am sure there are legit people out there, but lets just say there is plenty of room for "mistakes".
2: You are artist who does alters. Turns out you are better at doing art then selling the cards. Why not give it to a 3rd party who will auction it through already popular , established auctions? Everyone wins right? Oh, you mean the 3rd party will sometimes not pay me for my alters? Well that sucks.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

i loving love affinity

game 3 on the play, t1 gingerbread guy, t2 drum frogmite enforcer, t3 dust to dust your lands

we live in a beautiful world

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

also they were running dispel over spell pierce so i knew the dust to dust was safe lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Consignment stores make sense where there's a physical store that actually displays the item to prospective buyers while waiting for it to sell.

Consignment makes no sense for something that's only offered for sale digitally, it's just an attempt to scam sellers.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I got a bunch of proxies printed by MPC and am happy with the result, except for 4 of the cards.
When using MPCFill 4 cards was not found (part of a just-announced secret lair) so i uploaded them myself.
The image files, which i downloaded from the secret lair store page, are large, and in both the MPCFill preview and in the MPC store page they looked fine, yet on the physical proxies they are zoomed like 3% so that the outer black frame is gone.

Is there an obvious reason for this or will it have to be looked at on a case by case basis?
The images are 795 x 1110 pixels.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Well the reason is you downloaded image files from Secret Lair and uploaded those. Always safer to either copy and paste the art over other JPG's you know work (most MPC Autofill images) than take the risk uploading your own. Images need to have a pretty large border that goes well beyond that of a physical card to act as a margin-of-error for the cutting.

For example:

Enjoy the cube you made those for.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ineptitude posted:

I got a bunch of proxies printed by MPC and am happy with the result, except for 4 of the cards.
When using MPCFill 4 cards was not found (part of a just-announced secret lair) so i uploaded them myself.
The image files, which i downloaded from the secret lair store page, are large, and in both the MPCFill preview and in the MPC store page they looked fine, yet on the physical proxies they are zoomed like 3% so that the outer black frame is gone.

Is there an obvious reason for this or will it have to be looked at on a case by case basis?

MPC needs 1/8th of an inch of extra space on the image to allow for cutting imprecision. For most cards, this is easy; you add more black border. For extended art carts, It requires some trickery.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Dr. Stab posted:

MPC needs 1/8th of an inch of extra space on the image to allow for cutting imprecision. For most cards, this is easy; you add more black border. For extended art carts, It requires some trickery.

it's this - the MPCFill image files are scaled to account for the necessary border, while you need to do a bit of work to get images from other sources to work

if you need or want something custom I think the easiest solution is still generally Card Conjuror (which you can run locally), as it has a built in 1/8" margin in the frames section and will scale things appropriately, and the program makes the rest of the layout super easy so long as you have a sufficiently high-resolution art asset

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Pauper metagame shifted a lot recently. The reaction to Mono Red was to play a lot of midrange piles with incidental life gain, and now Delver and UB is beating up on those.

I really don't get what's going on with the UW Affinity deck. I built it, goldfished it, but don't understand how it wins so much. There's a lot of bad hands, and a lot of times where it explodes out some Frogmites and stuff and then draws into trash. The dream of chaining Thoughtcasts and other draw spells into Myr Enforcers early only happened once. Many times I just draw Frogmites, Ornithopters, lands, etc. The only tool it has is Glimmer, but can't the opponent just kill the enchanted creature? The Grixis deck seems way more efficient and has more angles to win with.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want to try the pauper and modern affinity decks sometimes. There's a standard deck I play on Arena that's uses the cheapest artifact creatures and a couple of convokers to get a big Plated Onslaught turn or 2. It's a one trick pony but it's a fast trick I enjoy.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I had a look at Mengucci playing the UW deck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0jV62jSKRA and seems between the draw spells, clues and ninjas there is a bit of card draw to keep you going. Having the super cheap counterspells seems good too. I guess it doesn't feel consistent since it's so explosive sometimes.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

LifeLynx posted:

The Pauper metagame shifted a lot recently. The reaction to Mono Red was to play a lot of midrange piles with incidental life gain, and now Delver and UB is beating up on those.

I really don't get what's going on with the UW Affinity deck. I built it, goldfished it, but don't understand how it wins so much. There's a lot of bad hands, and a lot of times where it explodes out some Frogmites and stuff and then draws into trash. The dream of chaining Thoughtcasts and other draw spells into Myr Enforcers early only happened once. Many times I just draw Frogmites, Ornithopters, lands, etc. The only tool it has is Glimmer, but can't the opponent just kill the enchanted creature? The Grixis deck seems way more efficient and has more angles to win with.

you have so many artifacts that by the time you play glitter it is basically lethal.
either put glitter on a gingerbrute and make it "unblockable" or but it on some ornithopter you still happen to have around..

hold up enough mana to use metallic rebuke against any removal.

i mean that's it. you can also just beat them down w/ myr enforcers.

like the optimal play is you basically bring down a turn 1 frogmite that turns into turn 2 myr enforcer. kinda need a nut hand for that but having a turn 3 enforcer isn't uncommon.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Are prereleases worth going to from a fun, not financial, perspective? LCI looks like it'll be fun so I was thinking of going to one (never been). My only experience with sealed was a free event on Arena a few weeks ago, which I had fun in, but I know a lot of people hate sealed so maybe my experience was exceptional. Basically, does the experience of prerelease make up for it being sealed?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yes, prerelease events are fun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

drainpipe posted:

Are prereleases worth going to from a fun, not financial, perspective? LCI looks like it'll be fun so I was thinking of going to one (never been). My only experience with sealed was a free event on Arena a few weeks ago, which I had fun in, but I know a lot of people hate sealed so maybe my experience was exceptional. Basically, does the experience of prerelease make up for it being sealed?

This is going to depend heavily on where exactly you are. Ultimately you're playing paper magic (which is fun) with people at your local gaming store (who may or may not be pleasant to be around), but paying a lot more than the "normal" price for doing so (because Limited events are innately kinda expensive since you've got to pay for the packs). If your LGS has lots of chill people that are fun to play paper magic with, then yes it's probably worth it as far as fun goes. Not all gaming stores are like that though.

Prerelease sealed is generally better than regular sealed because it's most people's first experience with the set, people are just enjoying their first experience with the new cards and not being particularly sweaty about it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I don't like sealed as a format but prereleases are a fun time. Sealed is a better semi-competitive format than competitive one, and everybody is hyped up about the new set and trying everything out. It depends on the area/store but most of them are relatively chill affairs where it's expected people will mess up how the new cards work and people will give advice to newer players about deck construction for their pool.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I don't like sealed as a format but prereleases are a fun time. Sealed is a better semi-competitive format than competitive one, and everybody is hyped up about the new set and trying everything out. It depends on the area/store but most of them are relatively chill affairs where it's expected people will mess up how the new cards work and people will give advice to newer players about deck construction for their pool.

Yeah. Pre-release sealed is like a weird kitchen-table vibe version of limited. The format isn't figured out yet, and it's not draft so you can't really craft a deck that way anyways. Most people there are just having fun and want to see the new cards so there's little pressure. Most of the decks are lower power, so if you notice a fun mechanic in your sealed pool you can just roll with that and see if it works.

One of the most fun matches I had was in the last round of Brother's War where I had no wins so far, and was up against the other person who had no wins as well 😛

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
sadly they destroyed the match database, but I'm pretty sure in aggregate prereleases are the only tournaments where I have a positive record lol

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Prereleases are a ton of fun! The prizes aren't usually meaningful and sealed is more random than draft, and good players can open absolutely wretched pools so everyone is on a more equal footing. It's always fun seeing what crazy things the set can do, even if it's your opponent doing them to you. There will probably be a fair number of people that don't play in tournaments very often, or maybe its even their first time. Compliment people's decks and you'll make a bunch of friends.

also, bring a pad of notepaper and a pencil. It's important to write down every change in life totals for both players, so if you and your opponent disagree on someone's life total, you can go back through all the changes and see where either you or they missed something. You can also write down cards they reveal, like if you look in their hand with a discard spell, or they reveal a card from their deck with Discover. If you have a bunch of d6s or some other clear way to mark counters on permanents, that's also really helpful. If you have any tokens bring those too. Or ask around if your deck uses tokens, people might let you have tokens they open in their packs. If you mostly play arena, maintaining the game state is super important. And if you don't understand something, or don't want to trust your opponent's explanation of something, most places you just yell "JUDGE" and someone will be along to answer any questions you have.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://x.com/mangabookclub/status/1722977409182412900?s=20

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I will always say the best prereleases I've been to were at my old LGS where the pricing was flat, everyone got the same and then the winner got an extra promo pack while random draws determined the rest.

Everyone had a good time building whatever random jank they wanted to have fun and it was a great vibe

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
The last time I pre-released DCI cards were a thing. Got this stupid app ready to go. Get off my lawn with your Marvel poo poo you punks, we’re going spelunking.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watching a video of some people playing with 2002 rules with world championship rules and gold decks. Psychatog being a playable card is blowing my mind a little, I've abandoned every attempt to make a commander deck with them and I thought their whole gimmick was massively overcoated abilities for tiny effects. Guess this one tog just had its own path to carve.

On any case, they should definitely throw these decks on Arena in a MWM or something. They're a bit too expensive to buy just to goof with friends with, but seem perfect for a few days Arena goofing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

Watching a video of some people playing with 2002 rules with world championship rules and gold decks. Psychatog being a playable card is blowing my mind a little, I've abandoned every attempt to make a commander deck with them and I thought their whole gimmick was massively overcoated abilities for tiny effects. Guess this one tog just had its own path to carve.

On any case, they should definitely throw these decks on Arena in a MWM or something. They're a bit too expensive to buy just to goof with friends with, but seem perfect for a few days Arena goofing.
The Atog gimmick is they eat resources for a benefit.
They're weak because it's a twist on a creature from antiquities and unlike today creatures really REALLY sucked then.
You said you started playing during the last unset right? There's a huge world of bad creatures just beneath your feet. It used to be a creature was ONLY a body (savannah lions) or only for value (enchanttess has zero power) with a huge gulf between. 30 years of powercreep later and the good creatures simply do it all.

E: modo has gauntlets from time to time with historical decks. I think the last one was like five standard decks?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, got the sticker sheets to prove it, I will always remember the skepticism and laugh when I purchased a box for myself that first draft night.

You can really feel that power disparity when making commander decks to a creature them3. You dig back and find amazing card art and creature names but they are usually the first things you cut to make room for playable cards.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Somewhere between the dreamer and the saint.

I don't typically do well at pre-releases but they are always a good experience.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love pre-releases, lots of folks who don't usually show up for other stuff, always someone who hasn't played in X years and someone who it's their first. Plus folks you've seen around. Oh and a guy who buys several draft boxes and opens em all right there and dumps the commons and poo poo they don't care about for free lol. I haven't taken any since I have my own bulk stock to get through but a nice boon to some, there's usually someone more than happy to hoover em all up. Just a nice atmosphere

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The truth is I’m the prepper. But I’m tryin’, Ringo. I’m tryin’ real hard to be the saint.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I haven't been to a pre-release in ages, but they're pretty much always a blast, highly recommend going for anyone that hasn't been

Maybe if I start actively playing modern again I'll head to the next pre-release after.. they gotta unfuck the format eventually :sigh:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Prerelease is fun. My FLGS does 25 dollars for a kit and gives out 3 packs per win. I’ve been 2-1 every release since ONE so 25 bucks for 12 draft packs has been lovely and the shop and customers are chill as well

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i am sure this is a, "no duh" kind of thing for most experienced players but i ran into my first real frustrating experience with MTGO. i basically had an option where i could pay 1 to prevent an effect, but when asked if i wanted to pay for that effect, the only option was, "no"

the card was some 4 mana white enchantment where your opponent can pay 1 unless you pay 1 to prevent damage from a creature attacking.

i probably burned a good 30 seconds before just giving up. only later did i realize i had to pay first for the, "yes" button to show up

i don't recall spell pierce acting like this because i thought with spell pierce it asks if you want to pay 2 and if you say, "yes" you pay the two mana.

just seemed especially unintuitive, especially since the Yes button was completely missing instead of just being grayed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is there a clear best color pair and worst color for Caverns of Ixalan like there was in Wilds of Eldraine?