Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Proof of Insurance was a big one when my insurance company decided to be dicks about a charge from a prior year and it took hours of coordination between me, the old company, and the health insurance to prove that it should have covered said charge. Only thing that saved me was PDFs that proved we were covered and it was their documentation that was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Do you know your point(s) of contact at this place for things like updating your address if you move before some tax forms come out or if you don't get your last pay or if you didn't get tax forms, etc?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My technical last day is in two weeks, but I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be today (based on the quick 15 minute end-of-day meeting that just got added to my calendar).....

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Motronic posted:

Do you know your point(s) of contact at this place for things like updating your address if you move before some tax forms come out or if you don't get your last pay or if you didn't get tax forms, etc?

This is a good one too, will ensure I have this stuff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

priznat posted:

My last day at the job, anything I should remember to do before I'm out of the system? I always forget. I do know I should get paystubs although I seem to have forgotten to update the password on it and it's locked me out, requiring a reset. That uses a 3rd party website though so I can access that externally after the person I contacted resets it for me.

Don't really have any contacts I want to funnel out for later, cleared my laptop of anything personal (never keep much on there anyway personal-wise) and printed out the shipment labels with fedex account number.

lock your desk and dispose of the keys in one of the locked shredding bins

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

lock your desk and dispose of the keys in one of the locked shredding bins

No desk as it was all wfh or at a wework.. I still have the wework card but with how that company is going it seems like that may take care of itself :haw: (I will drop the card at the front desk next time I am in the area)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Omne posted:

My technical last day is in two weeks, but I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be today (based on the quick 15 minute end-of-day meeting that just got added to my calendar).....

Congrats on the two extra weeks of paid vacation

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Based on how it happened to me: there's zero reason (or likelihood) for the corp to keep the paychecks going if they walk them out today.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Trabant posted:

Based on how it happened to me: there's zero reason (or likelihood) for the corp to keep the paychecks going if they walk them out today.

They don't have a choice. They're effectively firing you for no legally viable reason. They have to at minimum pay out unemployment comp for those two weeks, assuming you take the time to file.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Trabant posted:

Mmmmm, i think you might be owed a paycheck....

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well, it happened to me twice: leaving IBM and leaving HPE. If that's actually illegal, I guess I just have the "gently caress this guy" kind of face :v:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Annual training is due next week. Why am I getting nastygrams from my admin chain about compliance? Because he wants to beat his buddies in a bet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vasudus posted:

Annual training is due next week. Why am I getting nastygrams from my admin chain about compliance? Because he wants to beat his buddies in a bet.

compliance is everyone's responsibility, but especially yours.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Trabant posted:

Well, it happened to me twice: leaving IBM and leaving HPE. If that's actually illegal, I guess I just have the "gently caress this guy" kind of face :v:

I guess I'm wrong! I've always gotten the 2 weeks, even when I did the "I need a LOT more money to deal with this crap" and they were like "oh yah? get the gently caress out and you can come back at 5 for your manager to hand you all your poo poo in a box". I guess they were hoping to not have to deal with unemployment claims (and I didn't bother, probably should have).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

When you give your employer two weeks' notice and they fire you immediately, they certainly can refuse to pay you for those two weeks, inasmuch as you are no longer employed there. (Companies that actually want to be able to hire and keep good people don't do this, however, for obvious reasons.) But they absolutely are on the hook for unemployment comp for those two weeks. If that scenario ever happens to you, please do take the 1-2 hours to file a claim and get your money. gently caress people who treat people that way.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Trabant posted:

They go from not having to pay unemployment to having to pay you unemployment, plus the reputation hit, not very smart on their end.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Another banger from Ed Zitron today: https://wheresyoured.at/p/the-anti-workforce?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=8982&post_id=138710761

Mostly regarding the RTO mandates and how managers are panicked because so many lack actual metrics to track productivity (in office or not) so opt for the in-office so it can seem more like they are doing stuff.

quote:

Remote work is a threat to the powerful because it shows how little they actually contribute to their companies or society as a whole. As with much of society, corporate America does not reward hard work so much as it rewards opportunism — the ability to show you’re useful, even if that “usefulness” isn’t necessarily about being good at your job. The office is a stage — a place to show that you’re doing your job, but not necessarily the best place to do it — and an opportunity for people who don’t want to work to pretend they’re doing so, primarily for the benefit of people who don’t know what real work looks like.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Another banger from Ed Zitron today: https://wheresyoured.at/p/the-anti-workforce?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=8982&post_id=138710761

Mostly regarding the RTO mandates and how managers are panicked because so many lack actual metrics to track productivity (in office or not) so opt for the in-office so it can seem more like they are doing stuff.

This was deeply cynical but probably not wrong? It made me appreciate my job. I help design tech things for clients, professional services consulting type stuff. Generally productivity is pretty clear: is the stuff we agreed upon in the scope getting designed and built on or at least close to schedule? Great. You can argue about agile and waterfall and whatever but at the end of the day everyone’s agreed upon what “productive” looks like, roughly.

For my own internal metrics I’m just judged on how many hours I bill. Over that? Great.

If the thing gets built and I bill the hours everything is fine.

I mean obviously it comes with a whole host of associated bullshit, but at least that part is sorta clear.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Thufir posted:

We’ve been using monday.com for project management stuff for a while and it’s fine, whatever. However, we also recently started using it for support tickets instead of Jira, and that is going pretty poorly.

I used Monday in a previous role for project management and it was great for us, BUT only because we already had really clear processes that our entire division followed. The platform itself was secondary to having everyone actually collaborating consistently and using the same planning processes and rhythms.

So it seems like they're just going "put it in Monday and our problems will be solved". Just like they did with Jira, Trello and Asana before that. But this time is different guys because we have a WORKING GROUP

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We’re switching to Monday from Trello but I didn’t use trello anyway so gently caress it I probably won’t use Monday either.

All I need is notepad babyyyyyy

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Someone on my team kept trying to get everyone to use Monday so they “could know what everyone is doing and make sure we aren’t duplicating our efforts,” no matter how many times I said “I’m not using Monday.”

They built a whole organization in there and lots of different folders and charts. Two people used it for a while, then just the person who used it. They got really mad and complained over my head that I wasn’t using Monday, mad enough to quit.

Our jobs had no reason to organize using Monday.com. I just sent a note not to renew any of the licensees next year
:caro:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I can't even measure my own productivity let alone anybody else's. I think this week I made a pretty nice Visio diagram and added two slides to a PowerPoint, is that good?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jumpsuit posted:

So it seems like they're just going "put it in Monday and our problems will be solved". Just like they did with Jira, Trello and Asana before that. But this time is different guys because we have a WORKING GROUP

This is the classic "there are no technological solutions to process/personnel/personal/societal problems" and yet it is still the generally prevalent practice of weak executive leadership magical thinking of tech solutionism to issues that they are not experienced enough to address. It's a worse solution than apathy, because now you're making the 4-10 people who actually work do busywork to "use" the new "system" rather than keep the business running.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

poisonpill posted:

They got really mad and complained over my head that I wasn’t using Monday, mad enough to quit.

Presumably making a play for management then moving on when it failed?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Atopian posted:

Presumably making a play for management then moving on when it failed?

Yeah they really wanted to manage the whole team but then instead of quietly moving on, totally started throwing bombs and storming out. Leaving me as the obvious choice for the management role… truly one of the most bizarre self owns I’ve seen in the professional realm

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Writing a “I’m not whining BUT..” e-mail sucks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jordan7hm posted:

All I need is notepad babyyyyyy

Notepad++ gonna kick yo rear end in a righteous way,

I don't believe you do serious IT if you wouldn't benefit from a good text editor.

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.

priznat posted:

My last day at the job, anything I should remember to do before I'm out of the system? I always forget. I do know I should get paystubs although I seem to have forgotten to update the password on it and it's locked me out, requiring a reset. That uses a 3rd party website though so I can access that externally after the person I contacted resets it for me.

Don't really have any contacts I want to funnel out for later, cleared my laptop of anything personal (never keep much on there anyway personal-wise) and printed out the shipment labels with fedex account number.

Send a sentimental email.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
We have a return to office mandate in January. Three days a week for employees. Four for managers.

I have been told by my boss that our location has more people than desks. Would the solution be to allow some people to continue to WFH until more office space can be acquired?

No, stupid. Everyone must be back in the office in January!

So what is the current plan?

Sharing desks.

gently caress me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Did you know there's a resume and interviewing thread in this very forum? You might find it helpful!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rotating one person in office and one person WFH is a technically correct form of sharing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zero One posted:

We have a return to office mandate in January. Three days a week for employees. Four for managers.

I have been told by my boss that our location has more people than desks. Would the solution be to allow some people to continue to WFH until more office space can be acquired?

Sharing desks.

gently caress me.

Spread the pain, have someone on the way out reconfigure the C-levels into hotel desks to lead by example

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Zero One posted:

Sharing desks.

gently caress me.

Need that meme:
Hot bunking? :(
Hot desking? :)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The thing about these RTO mandates I don't understand is that they seem to always be combined with some kind of floating desk set up, which makes coming into the office even less appealing. Like, "come back to the office! you won't have a consistent place to sit, your desk will always feel soulless and corporate, you won't sit with people on your team or even have a consistent group of friendly faces around you".

How is that appealing? If I have to go to the office I'd AT LEAST want my own consistent space, and to be around a consistent group of people. Other wise you're just constantly reminded of what a replaceable corporate drone you are.

Work is about family, is what I'm saying (/s).

I have a friend who is a VP at a major record label, and she was saying the other night that she doesn't even have her own desk.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Having a little cube cave that is your own little home away from home is literally the one benefit of coming into the office imo.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sadly, it really was just a quick check in to see if I had anything else to say beyond what was in my exit interview.

Thankfully, I'm on a week of PTO next week, then at work for my final three days, then its Thanksgiving and my last day.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Awkward Davies posted:

The thing about these RTO mandates I don't understand is that they seem to always be combined with some kind of floating desk set up, which makes coming into the office even less appealing. Like, "come back to the office! you won't have a consistent place to sit, your desk will always feel soulless and corporate, you won't sit with people on your team or even have a consistent group of friendly faces around you".

How is that appealing? If I have to go to the office I'd AT LEAST want my own consistent space, and to be around a consistent group of people. Other wise you're just constantly reminded of what a replaceable corporate drone you are.

Work is about family, is what I'm saying (/s).

I have a friend who is a VP at a major record label, and she was saying the other night that she doesn't even have her own desk.

It's partly a power move but mostly to save money.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What if musical chairs but too much

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Didn't end up having an HR exit interview yesterday and left without sending a farewell email, so I consider that a W. Most people I know/liked have left already anyway.

Now just gotta get my dang laptop shipped back to HQ. Apparently the battery warning label has to be in colour but I don't have a colour printer so whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

priznat posted:

Didn't end up having an HR exit interview yesterday and left without sending a farewell email, so I consider that a W. Most people I know/liked have left already anyway.

Now just gotta get my dang laptop shipped back to HQ. Apparently the battery warning label has to be in colour but I don't have a colour printer so whatever

If the company wants the laptop back, they need to provide you with everything necessary to ship it to them including a prepaid shipping label and all necessary extra labels. You should communicate this to them very directly, if you haven't already. It's their problem, not yours.