Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Sharks have now tied the Oilers in the West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

That makes sense. I still don't like it, though -- even as a complete novice it just looks bad. There's got to be something else they could have done -- keep the cover guys in their scramble roles and send Klingberg to chase the puck and get in the holder's face, something proactive. Hell, even just spread out the guys farther so they're more actively covering all sides of the net.

Basically while I get it being an unexpected hindrance, like, I'm feeling like a pro sports team should have contingencies in mind for if something like this happens, especially in a sport that moves as fast as hockey does.

I think it’s important to note that a lot of these guys haven’t actually been on the ice together for very long, it’s basically one month into the season and because of injury and Keefe being an idiot about his lines there’s a lot of unfamiliarity between these players (some of which are new to the team).

It’s pretty understandable, once Klingberg falls down a forward goes to cover for him, but his d partner doesn’t know that’ll happen so he also comes across. Then it becomes a guessing game of who needs to take who. Does Klingberg replace the forward (Marner) covering for him? Does he go to his partner’s vacated spot? Or does he act as a forward now that there’s someone else playing D? Who’s F1? All this happens in like three seconds.

Credit to the Sens players for keeping up the pressure too. Some teams (and not to belabour the point, but the Leafs are particularly bad at this under Keefe) would get the puck off of a defensive breakdown and hold onto it or send it up the boards to allow their set offense to take shape instead of taking advantage of the open ice and confusion, which would give the D time to figure things out and set up themselves.

I think most coaches would look at this as a fluke play with unfortunate results. It’s a lot easier to see why that goal happened than the play highlighted in the tweet I posted by Corrado, where the forward order and roles defensively are pretty obvious and a guy just… doesn’t do it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Szechwan posted:

Sharks have now tied the Oilers in the West

Now cmon that's technically true but not fair, Edm has 1 less loss than the historically lovely sharks team

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lmfao Edmonton, that is all.

One day you'll learn that a 2 man team isn't going to be successful. One Day.
In the meantime continue entertaining us with how much you loving blow.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I didn't watch the game and I dont understand a single jfresh twiter chart but this leads me to believe the Oilers are BACK to their normal state of Fragile ego, fragile body, weak mind, weak spirit...

e: 2 free 30 day guest passes to the atheletic; fistt come first save

https://theathletic.com/guest-pass/?access_code=vy2j3d6i9r
https://theathletic.com/guest-pass/?access_code=d5uqf24h6n

itts also easy to find like promos to $10/year

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

e: another 30 atheletic free pass
https://theathletic.com/guest-pass/?access_code=r26xgmhtq5

Hirez fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 10, 2023

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
https://twitter.com/OilersJack/status/1722872922317152313?t=oSDIdIKkUjjjTn8ooSiOKA&s=19

ok I changed my mind I like Leon

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eh he gets paid to ask dumbshit questions and part of your job is to give bland responses nobody cares about, sorry if the truth hurts your feels.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Oiler destroys glaciers and sets up impromptu fracking rigs with his bare hands. However, he also rages into a "woke" state to protect the smallest, furriest woodland creatures,

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
The Oilers losing to the Sharks is wonderful and I’m here for it and everything, but they need to start winning a few so they can come in 9th because no way they should get another first pick.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'd argue Ken Holland deserves to keep his job indefinitely, because he entertains me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Eh he gets paid to ask dumbshit questions and part of your job is to give bland responses nobody cares about, sorry if the truth hurts your feels.

Careful there, sport. Spend all morning posting and you’re gonna miss the bus to school and you don’t want you repeat the 8th grade now do you?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I make this post like once a year, but interference is actually probably the worst example you could use if you're trying to call things according to the "textbook", because the NHL rule on possession and interference has like nothing to do with how the game is actually reffed. Or ever was actually reffed. Rule 56 (Interference) says:

Because even on that play, Hughes is the last player to touch the puck. He gets harried at the blue line by Colton and knocks it into his own zone. No one touches it, so he's--according to the rulebook--still in possession of the puck until someone else touches it.

But that's not how the game is called. Nor is it the common understanding of possession or interference. I literally remember talking about this on these very forums like 16 years ago when Cam Janssen lit up Tomas Kaberle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDUNn8q4qo

...which most people would agree is a late hit in that context. Kaberle passes it, there's a couple of seconds for it to reach the other Leafs player, and Janssen lights him up immediately after possession has been technically lost. According to the rulebook, that shouldn't have been a late hit. But most people would say it is, since the common understanding of possession does not mean "you have it until someone else touches it."

If they called it like the rulebook, Kaberle could clear it on a high flip on a penalty kill. Someone could take 10 seconds to go get it. But no one with even a passing understanding of hockey would think Kaberle would be eligible to get hosed up 9 seconds after he releases it.

I've long argued that the NHL should clarify this, but part of the reason they don't is that they also do education and video content with all the players going over what's legal and not legal. They have extensive case law videos talking about what they allow and what they don't. They rarely release any of this, but it covers situations exactly like the Janssen hit and the Colton hit. It would be very helpful for fans and everyone else IMO so they could see what is actually expected to be called.

And in fact, the specific hit Colton did has been a source of discussion for years and years. Brian Burke even famously suggested that the NHL should allow a type of 'bear hug' when forechecking defenders so you don't have to try and make predictions about whether or not the defender is going to turn, or touch the puck, or duck, and which way he's gonna turn, and whether you can get him on the side effectively like Colton was trying to do.

Which is why I feel bad for Colton, because that hit decision happens a ton of times every night. But Hughes is a rookie defensemen who came up playing in a lot less physical leagues than the NHL. And he's from a notoriously twink-esque/small-frame/weak family. Hughes definitely froze up and contributed to getting hurt. He's probably learned that it's a much more physical game than he's used to from that hit and will defend himself better next time.
This confirms that the NHL is the dumbest league in history. How are they this dumb?

For curiosity's sake, I timed how long after each player had last touched the puck before they were hit. Used the stop watch feature on my phone, so this is super scientific and accurate. :science:

2 samples each
Hughes 1.96, 2.16 seconds
Kaberele 1.11, 1.28 seconds

I'd say after not touching the puck for 1 second you're no longer in possession, and even that feels long. But the NHL surely knows better by leaving possession as is.

Can you imagine a defensive lineman blowing up a quarterback a full 2 seconds after a throw and it being legal? LMAO

1-2 seconds is an eternity in professional sports.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Oilers losing to the Sharks is very funny, but we cannot allow Edmonton to squander the career of another 1st overall pick, so they need to get better

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
I was kinda hoping they would win in a high scoring game so we could see the panic trade for a goalie right after. Apparently Kenny has been poking around on Binnington lmao.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

We don't have to worry about Celebrini going to Edmonton. They're going to rig the lottery again for Chicago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1722822685674414087?s=20

This reminds me of this PSA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhn6eO3Wds

...only the kid gets a technical foul or something anyway for being honest.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Oilers losing to the Sharks is very funny, but we cannot allow Edmonton to squander the career of another 1st overall pick, so they need to get better

This feels like one of those scenarios where a team that goes winless finally breaks through and rockets their way to Bettman .500 for some reason.

E- Fuckin' Elon and his non-embedding Tweets.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 10, 2023

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

We don't have to worry about Celebrini going to Edmonton. They're going to rig the lottery again for Chicago.

Thought y'all wanted the cap to go up?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DJExile posted:

Careful there, sport. Spend all morning posting and you’re gonna miss the bus to school and you don’t want you repeat the 8th grade now do you?

honestly being on adhd meds and all now, redoing 8th grade might not be bad. i could actually learn how to do math this time

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Are Jack and Nico still dead?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mind_Taker posted:

I think they might rig it for Arizona instead, to try to get the ~rivalry~ energy like they did with Pens/Caps

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Eric the Mauve posted:

Boarding shouldn't even be a penalty. If you get your face slammed into the boards it's your own fault for putting yourself in a vulnerable position, 100% of the time

e: Elbowing too, I guess that isn't really a penalty anymore either since it hasn't been called in years. If your face is somewhere a guy can KO you with an elbow that's on you.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because hockey is a man's sport. If you don't want to get hit, go play soccer.

Eric the Mauve posted:

False! Hockey is the apex expression of Real Manhood and Tom Wilson is the very epitome of all that is strong and triumphant about humanity.

This message brought to you by the NHL Department of Player Safety.

Goddamn do I loathe this 'sarcastic bit'. We're all on the same side re: reckless hits & the wheel of justice in SAS, posting with ironic snark serves no purpose.

This thread is supposed to be a safe haven from that sort of insipid garbage, whether earnest or a piss-take.

(Not trying to bag on you EtM, I slept like poo poo and those posts nailed me in the anger bone)

god bless the edmonton oilers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah well in case the subtext was blurry I'm continually pretty pissed off about hockey culture in general and don't like feeling uncomfortable watching the sport at all. But I will drop it as per popular request.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Watching that awful (and at the same time awesome) game last night, McDavid has to be hurt.

Rushing him back for that toilet bowl of a heritage "classic" probably wasn't the greatest idea

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

th3t00t posted:

This confirms that the NHL is the dumbest league in history. How are they this dumb?

For curiosity's sake, I timed how long after each player had last touched the puck before they were hit. Used the stop watch feature on my phone, so this is super scientific and accurate. :science:

2 samples each
Hughes 1.96, 2.16 seconds
Kaberele 1.11, 1.28 seconds

I'd say after not touching the puck for 1 second you're no longer in possession, and even that feels long. But the NHL surely knows better by leaving possession as is.

Can you imagine a defensive lineman blowing up a quarterback a full 2 seconds after a throw and it being legal? LMAO

1-2 seconds is an eternity in professional sports.

sitting there with a stopwatch is kind of missing the point that it is a dumb play to coast into the boards and dare your opponent to guess whether you will or will not play the puck. it was certainly boarding, calling it interference because someone decided to put on the brakes instead of touch the puck doesn't happen in any league.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oilers losing to the Sharks would be funnier if the Flyers didn't get shutout by them already.

gently caress you Tortorella you ruin everything.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Interim GM Keith Gretzky/Interim Head Coach Glen Gulutzan is going to be so funny.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

Watching that awful (and at the same time awesome) game last night, McDavid has to be hurt.

Rushing him back for that toilet bowl of a heritage "classic" probably wasn't the greatest idea

Ya he's definitely still hurt. He missed a few shifts a couple games ago and once in a while he grabs at his side.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

With McCabe coming back Klingberg is now out with an undisclosed injury, optimistically if something has been nagging him and he couldn’t sit because of all the other injuries to the Leafs d corps then getting healthy should see his play improve.

Hopefully McCabe used his time off the ice to watch video of all his insane pinches to start the year and learned to stop doing them.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DOOMocrat posted:

Interim GM Keith Gretzky/Interim Head Coach Glen Gulutzan is going to be so funny.

Hey Paul Coffey gave the team a tongue lashing so he's gonna coach until they hire uhhhhhhh Sheldon Keefe when he's fired in a month

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Who would have guessed that Kailer Yamamoto was the Oilers lynchpin?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Chad Sexington posted:

Are Jack and Nico still dead?

Yes, but there's thankfully long gaps between games - we don't have a b2b for ages it seems

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

Who would have guessed that Kailer Yamamoto was the Oilers lynchpin?

Maybe it was Klim Kostin!!!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
or maybe they actually really suck

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Hirez posted:

but this leads me to believe the Oilers are BACK to their normal state of Fragile ego, fragile body, weak mind, weak spirit...

Look, you have no idea how genuinely sorry I am that the Edmonton Oilers just didn't turn out to be what you wanted them to be.

They didn't turn out to be what any of us wanted them to be when we welcomed them back in this business; gave them a second chance.

It just. Didn't. Work out.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1723038138065391890

Penguins retiring Jagr's jersey, awesome to see :toot:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/RomulusNotNuma/status/1723002778006499564

lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would say what the hell took them so long, but in Jagr's case you have to wait some years to make sure he's really definitely not going to come back and play again.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I still don't know what any of this means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Matt Zerella posted:

I still don't know what any of this means.

It means the Oilers are a trash team from a trash province.