Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

VelociBacon posted:

where the cat shits in the laundry room to help absorb/mask scents.

store brand kopi luwak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

store brand kopi luwak

No worse than the home roasting sickos

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

1:1 ratio of cooled coffee and Liquor 43. Shake vigorously and strain over ice in a rocks glass. Even with what this thread considers crappy, blown-out coffee it’ll be delicious.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

throw them into the yard and see if magic happens

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Make bespoke suppositories for the refined healing crystal crowd

Yegor
Dec 21, 2007
In Gypsytown there are two rules. Number one: stay in car.
I'm looking to upgrade my wife's coffee maker for Christmas. We're currently rocking a Keurig with reusable pods and fresh grounds but she's expressed interest in having something better. Ideally what I get could do full pots as well as single cups, or at least somewhere close to that. Budget-wise I'm willing to spend a good bit if it's worth it (the Technivorm's $500 price tag is probably the very top) but if there's a less expensive option that will suffice that someone can recommend it'd be great.

Speaking of the Technivorm, I see that it has numbered amounts on the water chamber but the Amazon description says only half and full pot settings. Could you use it for 2 cup brews?

We're not super coffee connoisseurs so it doesn't have to be a top of the line super machine, but mediocre Keurig brewing and currently no large brew pot ain't cutting it no more.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

If people know you like coffee you get about 2,5kg of beans for your birthday (after you just scored 1kg on the cheap yourself). I know have coffee for an estimated 233 days slowly getting old in storage

It's lovely but also uuuh maybe I should ask people not to do that as it's a shame for the beans? Idk

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Yegor posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my wife's coffee maker for Christmas. We're currently rocking a Keurig with reusable pods and fresh grounds but she's expressed interest in having something better. Ideally what I get could do full pots as well as single cups, or at least somewhere close to that. Budget-wise I'm willing to spend a good bit if it's worth it (the Technivorm's $500 price tag is probably the very top) but if there's a less expensive option that will suffice that someone can recommend it'd be great.

Speaking of the Technivorm, I see that it has numbered amounts on the water chamber but the Amazon description says only half and full pot settings. Could you use it for 2 cup brews?

We're not super coffee connoisseurs so it doesn't have to be a top of the line super machine, but mediocre Keurig brewing and currently no large brew pot ain't cutting it no more.
Buying something off of this list should rule out the brewer as the source of any dissatisfaction with the finished product: https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yegor posted:

Technivorms have been on sale often lately, and I imagine there will be something for Black Friday.

There are also models under $500 for sure.

https://a.co/d/cvK91Ke

FWIW, when I was using a drip brewer I used my OXO 9-cup and it is excellent, especially for the price. The technivorm is supposed to be quite a bit better, but frankly anything at all is going to be a huge upgrade over using a Keurig.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Yegor posted:

bizwank posted:

Buying something off of this list should rule out the brewer as the source of any dissatisfaction with the finished product: https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

From this list, I can recommend the oxo 8-cup coffee maker. It comes with a large basket and small cone, and the latter can do between about a 12 to 20 ounce cup of good-enough quality. A full pot is 40 ounces. The Breville Precision Brewer isn't on the list any more but would be a worthwhile step up if you want more control over your brew, and also has a smaller insert cone which can allegedly do single cup, although the max is 60oz which makes me wonder how good the single cup really is.

VVV yeah if you ever leave coffee in the carafe for more than about 15 minutes, get the thermal carafe

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 9, 2023

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

One more thing to keep in mind is glass versus thermal carafe. Leaving coffee in a glass carafe on a hot plate for an extended period of time will ruin the coffee eventually, so the thermal carafe is usually the better option if its going to sit for a bit.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Yegor posted:

The basket settings are full for 8 cups and above, half for below. Note that it’s four ounce cups, so they’re smaller than you think.

I have a thermal carafe and it’s been just dead reliable and makes a drat good cup of coffee, consistently, even with the garbage Costco beans I drink. Their customer service is also top notch, I had an issue with a basket lever and they shipped me a replacement, no questions asked.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88SNkv1ZKVg

This poo poo blows my mind.

Yegor
Dec 21, 2007
In Gypsytown there are two rules. Number one: stay in car.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The Oxo 8-cup looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Gonna see if there's any good deals this weekend. If this ever breaks then maybe I'll splurge on the Technivorm.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone have a df64 gen 2? Considering it as the cheapest flat burr grinder for espresso worth buying.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Anyone have a df64 gen 2? Considering it as the cheapest flat burr grinder for espresso worth buying.

Eureka Mignon Chrono with espresso burrset from the more expensive models.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

VelociBacon posted:

Eureka Mignon Chrono with espresso burrset from the more expensive models.

Oh woah! How difficult was it to align the burrs?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Not too difficult using tinfoil for spacers and dry erase marker to see where it was touching.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I’ve seen aligning the burrs right after purchase as something recommended for most espresso grinders at this price point + anyway, so it shouldn’t be much extra work to change them out in that moment as well.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
New tamper day.

Let's see if this normcore actually improves poo poo. I've had some odd sideways squirting with the ims basket I'm using and my theory is that I'm not tamping evenly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

New tamper day.

Let's see if this normcore actually improves poo poo. I've had some odd sideways squirting with the ims basket I'm using and my theory is that I'm not tamping evenly.

I still had that until I used a better distribution tool. Just a bit of uneven extraction not really channelling/squirting though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Also, I ended up renting a 75 pound jackhammer instead of a rotary drill/hammer.

The rocks are done but my back hates me. I hope I never have to do that again.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Hoffman sharing the results of his America Taste Test event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMOOQfeloH0

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

.Z. posted:

Hoffman sharing the results of his America Taste Test event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMOOQfeloH0

I love stuff like this. Girls/Older Gens hate naturals and lighter roasted beans because their palates are hosed by dark roasted Starbucks and Folgers.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 10, 2023

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Girls/older gens :arghfist::mad:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

After 6 months of tasting practically everything I produced, I have concluded that I am a ristretto guy. Are there any specialty beans I should be exploring? Or do I just continue exploring everything out there, perhaps leaning toward anything marketed for espresso?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I got to visit the La Marzocco espresso machine museum near Florence and taste some coffee, it was a wonderful outing and the exhibits were great.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Not too difficult using tinfoil for spacers and dry erase marker to see where it was touching.

Just watched the guide and it looks easy. How much adjustment range do you have for espresso?

111023_5
Nov 11, 2023
the girls at this coffee shop are phenomenal

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I had my first squirter this morning.

Since getting a bottomless portafilter.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I got my Flair set up and pulled three shots this morning. I think the portafilter is pressurized. It looks like the 2 in 1 filter that came on later models, but it's one piece. Hard to tell if it's truly pressurized though, the spout seems big. The puck screen has a rubber gasket on it, which gets stuck down in the portafilter easily.

First shot, maybe a little coarsely ground, 14g at about 2:1 output. I used Kirklands (Starbucks) medium roast which is pretty dark. It was ok, better than a moka pot and way better than the Mr Coffee espresso machine.

Second shot, Kirklands, way too fine a grind. Forgot the puck screen. Very sloppy channeled puck and no crema.

Third shot, my own Brazilian light roast, definitely too coarse. Tasted decent, but closer to a strong small coffee than espresso. Not much body or crema.

I want to get a bottomless portafilter and pressure gauge eventually, but I'm gonna need some time to learn this whole process better before more :homebrew:.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If it's what I think you're saying, that's just a cleanliness spout not a backpressure restriction.

Is it this black one? If so, you can remove the spout 👍

https://flairespresso.com/product/bottomless-2-in-1-pf/

The gasket on the puck screen sounds odd to me. Are you talking about this?

https://flairespresso.com/product/neo-flex-training-disc-2-pack/

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

My employer is cutting back held PTO hours, but with a silver lining of letting us sell an extra 40 hours via PTO Exchange. I was already about to cap my 401k for the year, so it's basically found money.

Leaning really heavily towards picking up an ECM Puristika with flow control. I love the size and the external water tank. I exclusively use my automatic frothing pitcher anyway, so I feel like a heat exchanger is an unnecessary compromise and a dual boiler would be a waste.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I'm fascinated by the Meticulous Espresso Machine, but I think they are getting patent trolled right now and I don't want to spend $1500 to beta test something. Currently have a PID modded Gaggia I'm going to sell to a friend for cheap.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BrianBoitano posted:

If it's what I think you're saying, that's just a cleanliness spout not a backpressure restriction.

Is it this black one? If so, you can remove the spout 👍

https://flairespresso.com/product/bottomless-2-in-1-pf/

The gasket on the puck screen sounds odd to me. Are you talking about this?

https://flairespresso.com/product/neo-flex-training-disc-2-pack/

Nope, neither of those. It's this:

The basket and dispersion screen looks like the bottom setup in this picture. I think that is the 2 in 1 on the bottom, going by the ridges on the side, but the spout definitely doesn't come off mine.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Bandire posted:

My employer is cutting back held PTO hours, but with a silver lining of letting us sell an extra 40 hours via PTO Exchange. I was already about to cap my 401k for the year, so it's basically found money.

Leaning really heavily towards picking up an ECM Puristika with flow control. I love the size and the external water tank. I exclusively use my automatic frothing pitcher anyway, so I feel like a heat exchanger is an unnecessary compromise and a dual boiler would be a waste.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I'm fascinated by the Meticulous Espresso Machine, but I think they are getting patent trolled right now and I don't want to spend $1500 to beta test something. Currently have a PID modded Gaggia I'm going to sell to a friend for cheap.

Lelit MaraX would probably be my choice at that price level. A lot of good features for the money.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Gunder posted:

Lelit MaraX would probably be my choice at that price level. A lot of good features for the money.

It used to be a frontrunner, but I think I've talked myself out of the MaraX. I just don't think I'd ever use the steam wand, and I don't like giving up precise temperature control for that just in case scenario. Don't they only have a three position rocker switch for temperature settings?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Bandire posted:

It used to be a frontrunner, but I think I've talked myself out of the MaraX. I just don't think I'd ever use the steam wand, and I don't like giving up precise temperature control for that just in case scenario. Don't they only have a three position rocker switch for temperature settings?

They do, but it’s pretty much all I’d want to use. I have single digit control on my Bianca and I basically never change it from my standard 94c for all my light roasts.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bandire posted:

I’ve posted before about what i think are the shortcomings of e61 machines, including the Mara X, but the temp control is as good as you need. I’ve got a Decent now and I also just leave it on 94 all the time.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

What steered me away from the Mara X (and heat exchangers in general) was the overheating and temperature inaccuracies Lance Hedrick mentioned in his in depth review. https://youtu.be/X8QFNTOY7uU?si=sqO11Tbxr2_a4jYK

I'm sure it's not as big a deal as he makes it out to be. I just don't want to go back to guessing what temperature I'm actually brewing at again.

E61 is a negative to me, but flow control is pretty hard to get otherwise. I'd love a Decent, but I'm not willing to drop that much money right now.

Probably the smart thing to do is save the money and keep using my PID Gaggia, but I'm pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bandire posted:

What steered me away from the Mara X (and heat exchangers in general) was the overheating and temperature inaccuracies Lance Hedrick mentioned in his in depth review. https://youtu.be/X8QFNTOY7uU?si=sqO11Tbxr2_a4jYK

I'm sure it's not as big a deal as he makes it out to be. I just don't want to go back to guessing what temperature I'm actually brewing at again.

E61 is a negative to me, but flow control is pretty hard to get otherwise. I'd love a Decent, but I'm not willing to drop that much money right now.

Probably the smart thing to do is save the money and keep using my PID Gaggia, but I'm pretty dumb.

I skimmed the review and it seems like he's talking about the temperature creeping up after the machine has been on for longer than a couple hours. I don't doubt that's the case, but you will certainly not want to leave your Mara on for a couple hours - the grouphead gets hot enough to burn your skin if you touch it, and it radiates as much heat as an oven. The warmup cycle is pretty quick for a traditional machine, at least.