Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Helpful goons gave me a build around my budget for a new PC a few months ago, and I wasn't in a rush and figured i'd wait for Black Friday sales to make the whole build cheaper. I'm looking at bundles, and the posted Canada Computer bundle came up that seems like it'd fit. I was hoping to use the savings to maybe invest in a better GPU if it makes sense.

Here's the build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MWzRTY

I have a 1tb nme drive waiting to be installed already, but I also think I should pick up another harddrive since games are gigantic these days.

Subbed in the Canada Computers bundle (set the bundle price for the CPU and $0 for the board and RAM), added a 1TB PCIe Gen. 4x4 NVMe drive, changed your case to one a few bucks cheaper, and changed the GPU from the XFX Speedster SWFT RX 6800 to the Sapphire Nitro+ 7800 XT which will be a much better card. Came in $16.72 CAD cheaper than the link you posted.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/tNZBvj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
You could absolutely use the money (~CA$200 between the listed price for the parts in build vs. the bundle) to pick up a 7800XT instead of the 6800. That'd be a pretty solid upgrade that'd pair well with the stronger CPU that the bundle is giving you.

Another m.2 wouldn't be a waste either (you've got three m.2 slots, no reason not to use several of 'em if you can). You should be able to squeeze in a 1TB 970 Evo Plus in alongside the additional $100 for 6800->7800XT.

Your power needs should also be okay. You could consider bumping to an 850w for efficiency's sake, but the 750w will still meet your power needs even at load. As a note, though, the Corsair RM750e has the additional power plug your current PSU selection is missing, and costs exactly the same.

Anyway, if you want to keep the overall cost the same with slightly better parts, the CC deal does look like it's up your alley.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Thanks for both your suggestions. I adjusted the PSU for efficiency and am pretty happy with this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/psQ3RK

Not sure if I'm going to see any deals that will make much more of a difference. Looking at the 7800 price history I'm guessing it's probably not going to go on sale.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Dreylad posted:

Thanks for both your suggestions. I adjusted the PSU for efficiency and am pretty happy with this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/psQ3RK

Eh, I actually kind of regret mentioning the 850. The 750 will still meet your power needs easily; it's mostly a question of how worried you are about heat and saving fifty bucks. :v:

quote:

Not sure if I'm going to see any deals that will make much more of a difference. Looking at the 7800 price history I'm guessing it's probably not going to go on sale.

I heavily suspect the 7800X3D is going to go to US$350 at some point, at least, since a few recent sales took it that low. That's still a fairly significant price for some budgets and we'll see if it somehow goes lower, but given that it's the hottest item on the market right now, I kind of doubt it.

--

Speaking of which: welp, the deals are really starting to come in, two weeks early: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FXFJW2F

The 12600KF is back down to US$155 on Amazon, direct from Amazon. That's an Alder Lake/Golden Cove part that's now two years old, but that's still an absolutely terrifying amount of CPU for that cost; gently caress, the 12400 standard costs more than it right now, and it's significantly cheaper than comparable AMD products. At that price it's a fantastic core of an "aggressive budget" build, and you can put together a pretty nice midline system now for a sniff under $1200: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/44RLyg Or trim a few things and fit it well under $1100: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V7NLyg

I'm debating myself over snagging it now or waiting for the ~main event~ in two weeks to see whatever else might crop up. (Could we see the return of the $210 12700KF? Or lower?)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

I heavily suspect the 7800X3D is going to go to US$350 at some point, at least, since a few recent sales took it that low. That's still a fairly significant price for some budgets and we'll see if it somehow goes lower, but given that it's the hottest item on the market right now, I kind of doubt it.

Pretty sure they mean the RX 7800 XT.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I did yeah, sorry. Everything seemed so much simpler 10 years ago when I bought my 970 for $235 CND.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Dreylad posted:

I did yeah, sorry. Everything seemed so much simpler 10 years ago when I bought my 970 for $235 CND.

gently caress do I feel this comment.

GPUs right now are a loving nightmare.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I mean, it doesn't help that AMD have ended up with GPU and CPU parts sharing the exact same number scheme. :v:

But yeah, if you mean the 7800XT, it's a bit new for steep discounts, most likely. We might get small discounts? But not any plunging ones that try to shift off inventory like we might see in some CPU segments.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 10, 2023

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm thinking I'm wanting to go something like this for my PC Build, does anyone have any feedback on on it? Is it better to have 4 sticks of ram or 2? I like the aesthetics of 4 sticks but also I won't really be looking at the thing too much so I'm open to 2x16g sticks. I know X670E are the higher end ones with Gen 5 drives and I don't plan on buying a Gen 5 drive right now, but probably will when prices come down on Gen 5 so I just wanted to get a X670E so that I would have the Gen 5 slots available already.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FtgX28

The 4090 is a placeholder for any 4090, but also I'm considering waiting on buying a GPU until the refreshes come out next year and I can see how close a 4080 Super is to a 4090 (or if there is a 4090 super that I can blow more money on :D)

The Windows 11 key I'm going to get on SA

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kris xK posted:

gently caress do I feel this comment.

GPUs right now are a loving nightmare.

My 970 deserves to go to GPU Valhalla for being the best GPU, and probably the best computer component, I've ever bought.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Dreylad posted:

My 970 deserves to go to GPU Valhalla for being the best GPU, and probably the best computer component, I've ever bought.

I feel the same way about my 1080. I made the mistake of looking at GPU comparison site and there are a lot of very new, very expensive cards that perform dramatically worse.

Great.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
My 1070 that I bought for WoW Legion has been the greatest investment of my life. I still use it to this day! I also am annoyed at GPU prices right now because it's like, they tanked earlier this year, but OHHHH NOOO when loving Sal wants to build a PC, thats when they get funky!"

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

The 4090 is a placeholder for any 4090, but also I'm considering waiting on buying a GPU until the refreshes come out next year and I can see how close a 4080 Super is to a 4090 (or if there is a 4090 super that I can blow more money on :D)

No 4090 Super's been announced (good god, it'd never fit in a case) and the reliably leaked specs of the 4080 Super look comically anemic compared to the original, so the 4090 will remain what it is until the 5000 series comes out (which seemingly won't be until 2025). So there's no real "worry" on that front.

Beyond that, the build looks Fine; a few standard questions apply, like are you planning on overclocking the CPU (since if you aren't, a $35 Thermalright really will give you all the CPU cooling you need, but given that you're rocking OC-required RAM modules, I'm guessing you are), relatedly do you know about having to OC for the RAM (sounds like yes), are you certain you want to spend $Texas on a 4090 (which, again from context, sounds like you understand and are ready to dive in), et cetera. I will say that entering 4090 territory is "go 1000w or go home" country; the wattage simulator counts CPUs under standard load, not max, so under full-out conditions you'll be closer to 800+ watts. It's worth it to spend a little more to get a True Doom Murder-head PSU for a build like this. Otherwise, looks good for the most part, and that should be a good board choice for lots of m.2 drives and PCIe 5 capability.

Dreylad posted:

Kris & Sal posted:

Agreement!

My brothers. :sax: Maxwell and Pascal (900/1000 series) really have been endurance troopers and I think a lot of people are going to consider upgrades this year as some of the limits of those cards begin to tell at long last. They really do stand, as we've gone on about in the GPU thread, as some of the best parts Nvidia ever made in terms of performance/cost and they're never gonna make a mistake like that again, lol.

SpaceDrake posted:

Speaking of which: welp, the deals are really starting to come in, two weeks early: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FXFJW2F

Also, laffo, that didn't last long. Deal-price 12600s (and 980 Pros) are all gone now. Black Friday proper is going to be a god drat feeding frenzy.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm thinking I'm wanting to go something like this for my PC Build, does anyone have any feedback on on it? Is it better to have 4 sticks of ram or 2? I like the aesthetics of 4 sticks but also I won't really be looking at the thing too much so I'm open to 2x16g sticks. I know X670E are the higher end ones with Gen 5 drives and I don't plan on buying a Gen 5 drive right now, but probably will when prices come down on Gen 5 so I just wanted to get a X670E so that I would have the Gen 5 slots available already.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FtgX28

The Windows 11 key I'm going to get on SA

There's a few poor choices there given your unconstrained budget.

1. You don't need to spend nearly that much to cool the 7800X3D well. You've been in the thread for a bit so I assume you know about the Peerless Assassin and have decided on an AIO for aesthetic reasons, but even then the base NZXT Kraken is $100 cheaper while still having the same look and programmable screen.

2. You don't need to go any higher than 6000MHz on your RAM, it's almost totally pointless.

3. I don't think that's the best choice of case given those components. It'll fit, but it's going to take a lot more work to fit everything in and cable manage given the positioning of the PSU.

4. Speaking of the PSU, did you go for SFX because you were trying to minimise the space it takes up in the case? It just feels a little confused, if you want an SFF build then lean into it with a small case, otherwise it just seems like you're getting the worst of both worlds here. Regardless of all that, you should at least get an ATX 3.0 PSU to avoid having a million cables going to your 4090.

5. Finally I'm not sure spending big bucks on PCIe 5.0 compatibility makes sense as by the time it's actually beneficial I imagine you'll be wanting a whole new chipset anyway. For gaming purposes at the moment there's very little practical difference even between older SSDs and modern PCIe 4.0 drives. With the current consoles built around PCIe 4.0 storage that's what gaming development will be targeting for the foreseeable future.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Kris xK posted:

I feel the same way about my 1080. I made the mistake of looking at GPU comparison site and there are a lot of very new, very expensive cards that perform dramatically worse.

Dramatically worse? Compared to what?

SalTheBard posted:

My 1070 that I bought for WoW Legion has been the greatest investment of my life. I still use it to this day! I also am annoyed at GPU prices right now because it's like, they tanked earlier this year, but OHHHH NOOO when loving Sal wants to build a PC, thats when they get funky!"

Again, what? The current generation, while not as great value wise as the 30 series cards (at RRP), have seen some consistent discounts and ready availability. You can build an extremely performant midrange 4070 based PC for around $1200, which was unthinkable a few years ago during that insanity.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Butterfly Valley posted:

1. You don't need to spend nearly that much to cool the 7800X3D well. You've been in the thread for a bit so I assume you know about the Peerless Assassin and have decided on an AIO for aesthetic reasons, but even then the base NZXT Kraken is $100 cheaper while still having the same look and programmable screen.

Oh ok. I had considered air cooling, but since I wasn't sure how air flow would work in the case (I plan on putting 2 fans on the bottom to air from the bottom, and exhaust out the top). I'm totally down to save bucks on air cooling though.

quote:

2. You don't need to go any higher than 6000MHz on your RAM, it's almost totally pointless.

Oh ok. I wasn't aware of that, but I will find some 6000 MHZ RAM! Thank you for letting me know.

quote:

3. I don't think that's the best choice of case given those components. It'll fit, but it's going to take a lot more work to fit everything in and cable manage given the positioning of the PSU.

I'm not 100% sold on the case either, I bought it through Amazon so I will have a bit to decide if I want to find something else. I just liked the industrial look it had. I was also aiming for a small ATX case because I'm not really a fan of how big most ATX cases are now.

quote:

4. Speaking of the PSU, did you go for SFX because you were trying to minimise the space it takes up in the case? It just feels a little confused, if you want an SFF build then lean into it with a small case, otherwise it just seems like you're getting the worst of both worlds here. Regardless of all that, you should at least get an ATX 3.0 PSU to avoid having a million cables going to your 4090.

Yes that is exactly why I went with an SFX PSU, I just wanted to minimize the space it took up inside, but I know that ATX psus can fit in there so I will go with an ATX PSU

quote:

5. Finally I'm not sure spending big bucks on PCIe 5.0 compatibility makes sense as by the time it's actually beneficial I imagine you'll be wanting a whole new chipset anyway. For gaming purposes at the moment there's very little practical difference even between older SSDs and modern PCIe 4.0 drives. With the current consoles built around PCIe 4.0 storage that's what gaming development will be targeting for the foreseeable future.

Thats totally fair. Thank you for the feedback!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Again, what? The current generation, while not as great value wise as the 30 series cards (at RRP), have seen some consistent discounts and ready availability. You can build an extremely performant midrange 4070 based PC for around $1200, which was unthinkable a few years ago during that insanity.

I was more meaning 4090's which have spiked up in price quite a bit over the last ~2ish months

SpaceDrake posted:

Lots of good info that I didn't know because I'm a dummy

Thank you so much!

After reading Butterfly's post does this seem more reasonable?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XY2FXk

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 11, 2023

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Hi everyone, trying to replace my aging Acer laptop with a desktop build that will allow me to both work and game comfortably but without going wild (my Xbox Series S is doing its' job, but sometimes there's PC only stuff I'd like to play around with). I would hope to close the whole thing in ~$2k, including a display, keyboard and OS (yes i will check SA Mart)

It's been a loooong time since I've build a PC last, but I think I got the build right. I would appreciate a second opinion tho. Selected storage sizes and optical drive a necessity.
If there are spots i can save money in without compromising the performance too much, I am open to suggestions.

Edit: closest Micro Center is ~250 miles away :(

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($285.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-4 2019 8 g Thermal Paste ($7.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 UD AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6800 CL34 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44Q 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI RTX 3060 Ventus 3X 12G OC GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12D2HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($88.01 @ MemoryC)
Total: $1491.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-10 17:23 EST-0500

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 10, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

J-Ro posted:

Hi everyone, trying to replace my aging Acer laptop with a desktop build that will allow me to both work and game comfortably but without going wild (my Xbox Series S is doing its' job, but sometimes there's PC only stuff I'd like to play around with). I would hope to close the whole thing in ~$2k, including a display, keyboard and OS (yes i will check SA Mart)

It's been a loooong time since I've build a PC last, but I think I got the build right. I would appreciate a second opinion tho. Selected storage sizes and optical drive a necessity.
If there are spots i can save money in without compromising the performance too much, I am open to suggestions.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6800 CL34 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44Q 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI RTX 3060 Ventus 3X 12G OC GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)

You can get an RTX 4060 for the same price or cheaper than a 3060, but the maximum value GPU plays right now are the AMD RX 6600, which has been under $200 a few times, or the RX 6700 XT, which is faster than the 4060 for about the same price and has 12GB VRAM to boot.

Edit: you can also drop to an i5-13400 without giving up much gaming performance, or even a 12400. If it were my build I'd get a cheaper mobo, DDR4 RAM, and use the savings to get an RTX 4070, but your goals may differ and you say it's not for fancy graphics gaming.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

J-Ro posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Not sure where you're planning to put an internal optical drive, but that case won't hold one. You're better off just getting an external USB connected drive.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($374.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44L 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING AMP Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1503.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-10 17:50 EST-0500

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Branch Nvidian posted:

Not sure where you're planning to put an internal optical drive, but that case won't hold one. You're better off just getting an external USB connected drive.

The Fractal Pop Air has 2 external drive bays, I'm typing this response on a pop air case with a bluray drive installed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kris xK posted:

Great.

Any new 3000-series card except the 3050 will dramatically outperform the 1080, same with AMD's offerings. An RX 6600, which can be found for like $160 used, is about on-par with the 1080 ti
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-7900-gre-drops-to-617-eur-15-pricier-than-7800xt-with-33-more-cores

How does the 7900 GRE stack up against the RTX 4070? They're in the same price bracket now, 617 Euro for a 7900GRE.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Dramatically worse? Compared to what?

"Dramatically" might have been a bit overly dramatic, sorry.

change my name posted:

Any new 3000-series card except the 3050 will dramatically outperform the 1080, same with AMD's offerings. An RX 6600, which can be found for like $160 used, is about on-par with the 1080 ti

Okay that'd great to know, thanks.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Wankie posted:

The Fractal Pop Air has 2 external drive bays, I'm typing this response on a pop air case with a bluray drive installed.

Yep, I was asking about this in the hardware thread the other day to try and avoid overposting ITT :v: - the Pop Air has a pair of external 5.25s (and that's a selling point/part of the cost of the case). They're tucked away in a compartment at the bottom, obscured by a pull-away face plate. Still debating on a Pop Air vs. a few other cases - I do love my 5.25s, but it is a bit pricier and at least from pictures, the cable management for the 5.25s looked a little annoying.

Hell, I may as well ask - did you find installing a drive in those slots annoying, Wankie? Is threading power and mSATA lines through that back plate as annoying as it looks like it might be?

change my name posted:

Also, yeah, like, the entire appeal of doing an upgrade now is that, along with the GPU price insanity being (mostly) over, Lovelace and RDNA3 chips both are capable of raytracing and other DX12 Ultimate stuff at a high level and are, even on the most affordable cards, finally capable of just absolutely flattening even the most powerful Maxwell/Pascal-based kit in older, raster-based rendering models.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Also the price of everything other than the GPU has positively flatlined in the past year. RAM and SSDs are dirt cheap, CPUs are going on sale everywhere - I saw a prebuilt 5600x3d + 6650xt entire build going for $700 at Microcenter. Still a solid 1440p gaming rig for rasterized gaming.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Forgot to ask, is there much difference between CPU coolers? The Thermalright seems to be substantially cheaper than other options, but it's only available on Amazon and it'd convenient to pick something up available at Canada Computers.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Dreylad posted:

Forgot to ask, is there much difference between CPU coolers? The Thermalright seems to be substantially cheaper than other options, but it's only available on Amazon and it'd convenient to pick something up available at Canada Computers.

Any two-fin-stack two-fan cooler will handle your 7700X for gaming loads. I use this review to compare air coolers personally.

Thermalright has made their name out of absolutely thrashing the competition at its price point. I think Canada Computers carries the DeepCool AK620 maybe? You will never notice a difference unless you are going hard all-core but it's still twice the price for a slightly worse-performing part.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Fair enough, I can't argue with the price. I'll order it through Amazon.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Actually, while we're on the subject: does the Peerless Assassin really need the mounting adapter for LGA1700, particularly the ASRock B760M Pro RS? Or is it good to go out of the box?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

That's going to depend on if it comes with the adapter in the box. If it was manufactured after LGA 1700 was on the market it'll probably have it in the box, if not then you'd need the adapter. Generally those adapters are made for people who bought the cooler for one build and are carrying it over to a new one on a new platform.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

SpaceDrake posted:

Yep, I was asking about this in the hardware thread the other day to try and avoid overposting ITT :v: - the Pop Air has a pair of external 5.25s (and that's a selling point/part of the cost of the case). They're tucked away in a compartment at the bottom, obscured by a pull-away face plate. Still debating on a Pop Air vs. a few other cases - I do love my 5.25s, but it is a bit pricier and at least from pictures, the cable management for the 5.25s looked a little annoying.
Hell, I may as well ask - did you find installing a drive in those slots annoying, Wankie? Is threading power and mSATA lines through that back plate as annoying as it looks like it might be?

I've worked on WAY worse cases for cable management. I have 4 sata devices installed with my bluray drive in the top slot and I use the bottom half as a 3.5 hdd tray. Fitting the cables wasn't much of an issue, I'm not a person who cares about clean cabling builds but this was the easiest cable routing I have ever done. The top to bottom slit to the right the motherboard is pretty wide and the height is offset to give more space to wiggle cables around. And bottom of case has another pair of holes that I use for my 2 sata ssds.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

SpaceDrake posted:

Actually, while we're on the subject: does the Peerless Assassin really need the mounting adapter for LGA1700, particularly the ASRock B760M Pro RS? Or is it good to go out of the box?

I have the single tower Thermalright Assassin and it comes with all LGA1700 brackets and screws. If it lists 1700 compatibly it will have in the box.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Alright here goes... mostly checking to make sure I'm not making some bonehead moves because I've been paying less attention to PC parts vs the last time I built.

What country are you in? US - somehow there's only one Microcenter in Cali and I'm at the opposite side of the state
What are you using the system for? Gaming and some media server type duties (CD/DVD rips & playback)

Gaming on a 4k TV with VRR - targeting max settings at 60fps
What's your budget? I can spend up to $2500ish but looking for the most bang for my buck, relatively speaking. I don't need to have the absolute best of the best, just what gets the job done.

Ideally I'd like to snag some Black Friday deals to push total cost down to $2000ish but if that's not in the cards so be it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 3 67.62 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($231.86 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 8 TB 3.5" 5640 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card ($1199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($128.56 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($143.02 @ Amazon)
Total: $2354.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-10 23:23 EST-0500

My biggest question is power supply. Felt like pricing was way more clear cut in 2016 when I did my last build.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Immediate ones:

- At this budget, there's really no reason not to go for the AMD Ryzen 7800X3D. It's just that much better than anything else you can possibly pick. This'll also influence your motherboard choice. It'll cost a bit more but the performance difference will absolutely matter.
- You can absolutely "drop down" to the Thermalright Peerless Assassin to save a few bucks. It's actually superior to your current choice.
- Remember that using a platter drive for modern games is increasingly foolish; because PS5 and XBX can stream assets off SSDs, that's now an expected feature in increasing numbers of modern games. Platters are still fine for archive drives, but being used for just archive stuff might influence the size you pick.
- The Fractal Pop Air is basically the same case as what you picked but a bit less expensive, but this is as much aesthetics as price, so.
- The Corsair 850 is a bit cheaper, but I know you also want to rep at least something EVGA.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gVMp34

Still keeps it around $2400. Board chosen to keep the four m.2s; you could save on that with a different board. A second WD Black 770, especially given the m.2s, might be a bit smarter than the platter drive.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Bout 90% sure it's my power supply. I currently have a 700w one, would I be nuking my PC from orbit if I got an 850w?

Kinda trying to future proof my next build so I have a few parts I can reuse.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Bout 90% sure it's my power supply. I currently have a 700w one, would I be nuking my PC from orbit if I got an 850w?

Kinda trying to future proof my next build so I have a few parts I can reuse.

850W can go a long way, but quality matters as always. Here are some decent options: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#e=4&A=850000000000,2050000000000&p=1,3&m=337,11,71&sort=price&th=1

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Leeching off the power supply chat, is this Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 650W power supply a decent option for a budget build? 80+ GOLD, 10 year warranty, and ATX 3.0 (I don't know what I'm talking about, but the thread has said in the past that's a good idea). That seems like a lot of power supply for $79.99 after the $10 discount.

Obviously 650w isn't that big, but the computer it is going into doesn't need much. I grabbed that Microcenter 5600x3d bundle and am going to move my 1070 over for now. I'll eventually upgrade the video card, but I doubt I'll be going higher than something like a 4070, and PCPP says even with a 4070 my build comes in at 414w.

For reference, the build (I'll need an SSD as well, but that's negligible, power-wise):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $115.42)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Black 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $35.76)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $125.13)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $29.44)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GAMING X GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $305.75

EDIT: For what it's worth, it's a B tier in the PSU tier list, and this Anandtech review is generally positive, while noting some flaws.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 11, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

Leeching off the power supply chat, is this Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 650W power supply a decent option for a budget build? 80+ GOLD, 10 year warranty, and if I'm reading right, it is ATX 3.0 (I don't know what I'm talking about, but it has a 12VHPWR Connector and I think that indicates it is). That seems like a lot of power supply for $79.99 after the $10 discount.

Obviously 650w isn't that big, but the computer it is going into doesn't need much. I grabbed that Microcenter 5600x3d bundle and am going to move my 1070 over for now. I'll eventually upgrade the video card, but I doubt I'll be going higher than something like a 4070, and PCPP says even with a 4070 my build comes in at 414w.

For reference, the build (I'll need an SSD as well, but that's negligible, power-wise):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $115.42)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Black 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $35.76)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $125.13)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $29.44)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GAMING X GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $305.75

That unit should be fine, it is assumed to be a b-tier PSU by cultists network. The general rule of thumb I use for PSU size is 1.5x the power draw PCPP says, and then round it up to the common wattage PSUs you can buy.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Branch Nvidian posted:

That unit should be fine, it is assumed to be a b-tier PSU by cultists network. The general rule of thumb I use for PSU size is 1.5x the power draw PCPP says, and then round it up to the common wattage PSUs you can buy.

Alright, cool. I'll grab it. I can always return it if something better goes on sale for similar price this month.

That and an SSD is all I need, but SSDs seem like a thing that will go on sale this month for sure.

I'm watching for the WD blue and blacks, and the Samsung 980 pro. Are there any other SSDs I should be watching? I'd like to get at least 2 tb, and would consider up to 4, as this will be storing 2 OS installs plus games (but no media).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Solidigm P44 Pro is also very highly regarded