Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

I disagree. We've had wildly different cultural institutions before capitalism, and if we're lucky some future humans will have wildly different cultural institution after capitalism.

but there is nothing remaining after capitalism, in terms of natural resources. it will eat them all until it has destroyed itself, and everything else in the bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Car Hater posted:

It's your personal responsibility to vaccinate yourself against rising seas, dust bowls, atmospheric rivers and hypercanes

you dont need a vaccine, hypercanes are mild & you'll build up a natural immunity if you gradually catch bigger and bigger hypercanes

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mdemone posted:

but there is nothing remaining after capitalism, in terms of natural resources. it will eat them all until it has destroyed itself, and everything else in the bargain.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but the Earth will still exist after capitalism ends.

quote:

Gaia is a tough bitch — a system that has worked for over three billion years without people. This planet's surface and its atmosphere and environment will continue to evolve long after people and prejudice are gone.

- Lynn Margulis

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

That implies a global collapse is far off, possibly beyond our life times. Depleting every resource til there is nothing left takes time, especially as our late stage capitalism is resistant to spending money on infrastructure and capital projects required to continuously expand resource consumption.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
There are really only two plausible outcomes:

1) We really do solve climate change. Everything is fine! We stop extracting all the poo poo because we've developed magic technology or just somehow managed to transition ourselves away from fossil fuels in, like, the next five years.

2) We lose the ability to extract and burn on this scale long before we've gotten everything out of the ground. At some point we'll go back to just burning more coal, but if things get really bad then there's going to be a tipping point where we won't be able to get at nearly as much oil.

We're never going to burn it all. We're failures even as parasites intent on sucking all the natural resources of this world dry.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

maximum

power

principle

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Its kinda neat that the only oil left in the ground will be the oil that’s the most difficult to get to. After global industrial civilization collapses, those resources will be trapped for a LONG time. Whatever post capitalist humanity remains will have to spend centuries (millennia?) building a radically different society and economy along different technological lines before they’ll ever have the capacity to access the oil that’s left. Maybe by that time they won’t have use for it anyway.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Mop dogs ftw (my dog is also a little mop)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bawfuls posted:

Its kinda neat that the only oil left in the ground will be the oil that’s the most difficult to get to. After global industrial civilization collapses, those resources will be trapped for a LONG time. Whatever post capitalist humanity remains will have to spend centuries (millennia?) building a radically different society and economy along different technological lines before they’ll ever have the capacity to access the oil that’s left. Maybe by that time they won’t have use for it anyway.

Someone post that crow comic again

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/09/microplastic-eating-plankton-worsening-crisis-oceans-plastic-pollution

quote:

Each rotifer, named from the Latin for “wheel-bearer” owing to the whirling wheel of cilia around their mouths, can create between 348,000 and 366,000 nanoplastics – particles smaller than one micrometre – each day.

Et tu, Bdelloid?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I can't bdellieve it

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

As I stand on the dock overlooking the crashing ocean waves, I somberly ponder that mankind is not alone. Somewhere out there in the ocean, tiny plankton are breaking plastic down into more dangerous microparticles. It may be inadvertently, but tiny friends are helping us in the great work of consuming this planet. A single tear flows from my eye and plops into the ocean. More microplastics for our little friends.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Weep only for our ancestors, who did not get to enjoy all the benefits of a plasticized world

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Hubbert posted:

good dog

good dog

good dog

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Hubbert posted:

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but the Earth will still exist after capitalism ends.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Future humans should be grateful for all this free plastic

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

r u ready to WALK posted:

I can't bdellieve it

me neither bduddy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Weird this keeps happening in Texas. I will not be looking into the regulation environment, thank you

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

It always blows my mind that there are human beings living in places like Texas City

mags
May 30, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

It always blows my mind that there are human beings living in places like Texas City

i don’t think there are any there, just Texans

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hubbert posted:

We can do better. We've got all these nukes. Let's get planet crackin'

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Do we have enough nukes to overcome gravity and send chunks of earth careening into space in all directions though? I'm thinking at most we would be able to make some big dents in the surface and irradiate the planet for a long time but I don't we could actually obliterate it to the point it's no longer a planet orbiting the sun.

In other words things will be fine (for the planet, not us)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Microplastics posted:

https://www.badspacecomics.com/post/grounded

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I can't bdellieve it

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Do we have enough nukes to overcome gravity and send chunks of earth careening into space in all directions though?
oh absolutely not. scifi nerds have run the numbers for doing that with the Death Star from Star Wars and it's a horrific amount of energy. Like if you wanted to flick a switch and boom, no more Earth, not even a chance of the rubble collapsing back into a rocky protoplanet, then you're gonna need in the ballpark of 10^17 megatons of TNT.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

daaaamn thats awesome

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i think the crowpeople could probably get up to the industrial revolution with charcoal-fed blast furnaces

really loving good comic though

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

bawfuls posted:

Steampunk coal powered war wagons

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SixteenShells posted:

i think the crowpeople could probably get up to the industrial revolution with charcoal-fed blast furnaces

really loving good comic though
they’ll need a lot of forests to regrow first though

and if you liked that comic, the rest on that site are pretty good too

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

obsessed with how dog shaped this dog is, and the little powdered donut mouth also

ikanreed posted:

Weird this keeps happening in Texas. I will not be looking into the regulation environment, thank you

i admire the people driving towards the cloud. the true crack pinged

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

This is horrible. We need to make the microplastics stronger so it doesn't break down

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

bawfuls posted:

they’ll need a lot of forests to regrow first though

and if you liked that comic, the rest on that site are pretty good too

Yeah I love that site, unfortunately he went from making about a comic per month to not having made one since August

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

mags posted:

i don’t think there are any there, just Texans

Lib brained

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Microplastics posted:

alternate answer: https://falseknees.com/268.html

mags
May 30, 2008

yeah they are yes

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

good dog

I can't bdellieve it

good bdog

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My very rough guess is that it would take 100 quintillion 1Mt nukes to literally blow up the Earth, so for all our problems I don’t think we need to worry about that

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Good news! What has been called the first commercial plant in the United States to use direct air capture just opened, and another plant is operating in Iceland! It can remove the exhaust from about 200 cars. It does this by heating limestone to 1,650 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://news.yahoo.com/u-first-commercial-plant-starts-182814975.html

quote:

The startup that built the facility, Heirloom Carbon Technologies, calls it the first commercial plant in the United States to use direct air capture, which involves vacuuming greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. Another plant is operating in Iceland, and some scientists say the technique could be crucial for fighting climate change.

quote:

Heirloom won’t disclose its exact costs, but experts estimate that direct air capture currently costs around $600 to $1,000 per ton of carbon dioxide, making it by far the most expensive way to curb emissions, even after new federal tax credits worth up to $180 per ton.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

vegetables posted:

My very rough guess is that it would take 100 quintillion 1Mt nukes to literally blow up the Earth, so for all our problems I don’t think we need to worry about that

we don't need to blow it up, we just need to crack it like an egg

I think if we apply all our engineering prowess to this we can achieve it