Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know who Hunter Schafer is but I think Zelda should be Taylor Swift because then you could go to the movie and pick up chicks by telling them how big a Taylor Swift fan you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Matt Berry cast as the roll of Link please.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't know who Hunter Schafer is but I think Zelda should be Taylor Swift because then you could go to the movie and pick up chicks by telling them how big a Taylor Swift fan you are

You can do that for any movie tho

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
I hope it's inspired by the OG blade runner -esque Super Mario Bros movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tunicate posted:

You can do that for any movie tho

No I tried this at Oppenheimer, didn't work

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Haha reminds me of when they thought World of Warcraft movies should focus on events from a game most of their existing audience weren't even alive to play. I don't think Zelda can have the same issue since it's a cyclical game where characters and events just kind of each each other. I think they should stay away from any of the games specifically though and just make a good movie work itself.

Warcraft is convoluted as hell but at least has the benefit of being one continuous story. Theres a reason the Zelda timeline is such a joke, at its core its just the same story being retold over and over, with different but similar protagonists each time. I think Ocarina serves a good starting point and overall framework for what a Zelda story should entail, just so long as you dont get bogged down in all the video game details like "oh link has to collect the 3 medallions and then rescue all the sages" or whatever.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

As long as Werner Herzog gets to play the King of Hyrule I'm good.

oh god it's going to be Liam Neeson isn't it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Director: So the line in this scene is,"Hyaaaah! Hyaaaah! HEH! Eh! Hyah!
Matt Berry: Got it! Heeeeyaaaa-ee-aahhhhhh! Heeeeyaaaa-ee-aahhhhhh! Heoooaaah! Eoooorrraahhh! HOUYAAHA!
Director: Perfection.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Sidon better be in this. You need your best bud in a hero’s quest.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Of all the games, Ocarina is probably the easiest to adapt into film. You have a hero's journey, compelling villain, damsel in a proactive role (albeit masked), built-in sidekick that could be used in lieu of Link speaking (and/or for comedic effect), and some decent set pieces. It also gets older gamers (like me) who can remember playing the first 3D Zelda and opining to their kids how it was a "masterpiece" back in the day. Gotta appeal to a wide audience, after all.

Then again, if it just did its own thing, I wouldn't be surprised. As long as the story beats are there and the franchise's main elements are there, I don't think anyone would bat an eye.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
they should have gorons, except every single goron is played by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. All of them. Gorons just look like that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's Sony so you know it's gonna have Jared Leto as Ghirahim

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Gamers are definitely ready to handle this with tact and good will.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It would make a lot of lovely people have heart attacks/strokes over it, so I’m all for it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not familiar with the actress but she looks the part at least, has she been in anything particularly noteworthy?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She was in Euphoria but I don't really watch any HBO shows except Curb

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

FooF posted:

Of all the games, Ocarina is probably the easiest to adapt into film. You have a hero's journey, compelling villain, damsel in a proactive role (albeit masked), built-in sidekick that could be used in lieu of Link speaking (and/or for comedic effect), and some decent set pieces. It also gets older gamers (like me) who can remember playing the first 3D Zelda and opining to their kids how it was a "masterpiece" back in the day. Gotta appeal to a wide audience, after all.

Then again, if it just did its own thing, I wouldn't be surprised. As long as the story beats are there and the franchise's main elements are there, I don't think anyone would bat an eye.
The reason not to faithfully do Ocarina is you probably don't want your Link to be a child from a village of magical forest children. The rest is fine, especially Sheik as a way of keeping Zelda active in the plot, but introducing Link is going to be really important. Who is Link and why do we care about him? That's not a super important question when he's the player avatar, but it's much more relevant in a movie.

I think Twilight Princess has the most movie-friendly Link to introduce to general audiences. He's just a normal youth from a small village. Relatable and appealing.

But of course the movie has a lot of leeway to tell its own story. This franchise kind of laughs at the concept of canon and every iteration is a remix of familiar themes. If the movie is just a remix of familiar themes there could be nothing more appropriate.

I think it should have an active Zelda, but it could be just inspired by Shiek and Tetra, rather than being one of them specifically. I think a small town normal guy works best for Link, but it doesn't have to have anything else in common with Twilight Princess.

The before and after aspect of Ocarina's story would work well too. Let Link travel through an idyllic bustling Hyrule before a confrontation with Gannondorf turns it to ruins- but I would like it if the ruins were Breath of the Wild style overgrown and melancholy, rather than an overtly spooky Dark World kind of deal.

Actually, I think my ideal Zelda movie would be Breath of the Wild but Link is just a guy from a small village in the ruins. Have him run into a Shiek-type Zelda in disguise who's trying to restore Hyrule or whatever. The important part is it should be all about traveling through a beautiful wilderness and scattered overgrown ruins.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

"Link I need you to get all my cuccos back"
"Here's an idea, gently caress off"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Skyward Sword is very adaptable I think, even a valid excuse for not having Ganon because some movies still really want to do that stupid thing of teasing the villain people actually know and care about for the second movie

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

They could also pull a surprise and draw inspiration from Age of Calamity and the Recalled Memories in BOTW, and have the movie be centered on Zelda with Link just being her trusty, mute, rock-eating knight

…that would own, actually

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The Maroon Hawk posted:

They could also pull a surprise and draw inspiration from Age of Calamity and the Recalled Memories in BOTW, and have the movie be centered on Zelda with Link just being her trusty, mute, rock-eating knight

…that would own, actually

Slugworth posted:

Gamers are definitely ready to handle this with tact and good will.

I'd be down for it though. Would be more comfortable with the idea of a Zelda focused film where Link is a support character than a Link focused film where a boring but popular hollywood actor takes the role of a barely spoken character and quips for most of the runtime.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

sydney sweeney

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Larryb posted:

Not familiar with the actress but she looks the part at least, has she been in anything particularly noteworthy?

She's trans.

I am SO here for the chud lamentations if that happens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

She's trans.

I am SO here for the chud lamentations if that happens.

Neat, she’s also fairly new to the acting scene judging by her wiki page

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Good-Natured Filth posted:

They're probably going to try to rerelease Legend as a new movie, aren't they? The title is partway there already!

Tim Curry as Ganondorf would rule.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zopotantor posted:

Tim Curry as Ganondorf would rule.

He's more... Goron-shaped these days.

Mads Mikkelson gets my vote for the big G.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The biggest fault with just doing the OOT Story is that you'd need 2 actors for Link, which seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

I highly doubt they'd stick to a game script, and instead do some heavily derivative but inspired-by Hyrule. It'd be cool if it still fit the "timeline" though, with Ganondorf as the only person to acknowledge it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chieves posted:

The biggest fault with just doing the OOT Story is that you'd need 2 actors for Link, which seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

Yeah, I was also thinking there's basically nothing I want less in a live action Zelda movie than kid Link. I just feel like child actors already a big enough gamble in general, and putting one in a lead role for an existing character like this would just doom it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
If they were going to adapt a game the easiest would be starting at the 'Adult' part of OoT, Skyward Sword or BotW. All of them would feature a fish out of water Link who has a good reason to have no idea what's going on as an audience surrogate so you could get Zelda or whatever sidekick to explain the world to them.

Structurally you kind of have to have that in modern blockbusters or do the Mario movie thing with Link getting Isekai'd into Hyrule. There isn't a chance in hell they trust the audience enough to be able to understand the world without that, and people would probably react poorly to shoving in a comedy sidekick Link has to explain things to (which is basically the only other way that works).

Realistically the movie has quite a few paths it could go down. It could be a really meta meditation on what Video Games mean to people like that Dragon Quest V movie that came out. It could be a fantasy adventure played straight. Or they could split the difference like they did with Mario.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 10, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I really don't think they need an isekai framing and I would be somewhat put off if they had one.

The Mushroom Kingdom is some weird videogame contrivance, so it makes sense that you'd have to ground it somewhat. Hyrule should feel like a real complete place, complete with people living there that we can identify with.

I think there's a decent chance they will do it anyway, and I'll deal with it if they do. But they shouldn't, they don't need to, and it would make the story worse.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Link, I need you to round up my cuccos. Please, I'm desperate! I'll pay you!

(Closeup of Link's face)

Link: *sighs*

(smash cut to comedic montage of Link trying to capture cuccoos, with a needle drop of Dolly Parton's '9 to 5')

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
My friend suggested Elliot Page as Link and now I can't imagine anyone else in the role to be honest. Two trans leads in the first ever legend of Zelda movie would absolutely rule.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Isekai framing in the Mario Movie worked because “Mario and Luigi are plumber brothers from Brooklyn, who got lost in the sewers and popped out in the Mushroom Kingdom” is, like, the only actual lore that franchise actually has

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Majora's Mask, Links Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages and BS The Legend of Zelda is an Isekai.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't think they'll adapt a specific game; OOT for example would be really tough to do in one movie without shortchanging either the child or adult timelines. And Zelda is like the ideal videogame franchise for an adaptation because the entire series is loosely adapting similar concepts onto different frameworks. It'll probably be a "new" story that follows the familiar beats with familiar aesthetic trappings because that's what the franchise has done over and over to great success.

If they hew closest to any specific games I think they'll draw heavily from the BotW/TotK worlds since those are both the most recent and the highest selling games by a pretty significant margin.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Why the gently caress are you nerds arguing about video game scripts for the movies? Zelda games are absolutely barebone and wouldn't work as movies at all.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Marluxia posted:

Why the gently caress are you nerds arguing about video game scripts for the movies? Zelda games are absolutely barebone and wouldn't work as movies at all.

Because presumably the Legend of Zelda movie that Nintendo recently announced is in production will require some sort of script.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Ad lib the entire movie like the Ghostbusters reboot

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

zimbomonkey posted:

My friend suggested Elliot Page as Link and now I can't imagine anyone else in the role to be honest. Two trans leads in the first ever legend of Zelda movie would absolutely rule.

I had the same thought and shared it with my friends, so I, personally, think your friend is right. And it WOULD rule. In general, I’m super skeptical about this movie, so I’m just hoping that everyone involved is having a great time being in an official LoZ movie.

Proposal: Oracle of Seasons movie. Why? So I can be a Subrosian. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

broken pixel posted:

I had the same thought and shared it with my friends, so I, personally, think your friend is right. And it WOULD rule. In general, I’m super skeptical about this movie, so I’m just hoping that everyone involved is having a great time being in an official LoZ movie.

Proposal: Oracle of Seasons movie. Why? So I can be a Subrosian. Thank you.

Subrosian Halloween gear would rock.