Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
For me personally the current Red stuff is just an entire arc of "sure, do whatever I guess" but, even despite that, Ewing is still showing why he's the best writer around with every single issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Everyone just kind of ignored what he did. Maybe they'll talk about how Beast sucks now, but the only real impact it had was the one issue of Immortal

sure but like, i read all of the X books for a while and this was not anything unique to X-Force. maybe they really started ramping up the cross-book consequences the second i stopped reading all of the other books but i really doubt it

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

For me personally the current Red stuff is just an entire arc of "sure, do whatever I guess" but, even despite that, Ewing is still showing why he's the best writer around with every single issue.

As I get back into comics, i prioritized Excalibur over X-men Red and that whole arc, and I don't regret it.

Also, Sinister's little dig at the severed head of Dark Beast that he's not even the darkest Beast around anymore was loving delicious.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Diet Poison posted:

I was under the impression that most of the time, the creatives do not have a choice in this manner. I was wondering what dirt Percy has on editorial that his books seem to be immune from this editorial fuckery.

Do we know any of that or is this back to BSS' Vague Vibes-Based Ideas Of How Comic Book Editorial Works

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe Percy's books don't get hosed with because they actually sell lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Beast becoming the absolute loving worst, like Emplate and Apocalypse have moral high ground over him, is loving hilarious to me since he loving left Utopia because of Scott Summer's X-Force team. I think there were seeds of it in earlier stories where Hank McCoy abandons humanity, but it became really prominent with Hickman's New Avengers and Percy just ran with it.

Sinister is still worse I believe, but he's so camp we want to forgive him, but making Beast worse than Emplate is a loving accomplishment.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Blockhouse posted:

Do we know any of that or is this back to BSS' Vague Vibes-Based Ideas Of How Comic Book Editorial Works

Percy was given a lane when the Krakoa era started, and he's mostly stuck to it. Besides X LIves/X Deaths you could mostly ignore X-Force and Wolverine and not miss much from the larger narrative. If his two X books are selling well while he sticks in the Beast and Mikhail corner, there's really no reason to mess with that.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

The only nitpick I really have about the Wolverine/X-Force run by Percy is the issue or two about Wolverine loving surfing. Logan killed Daken in a puddle when Daken was still an evil poo poo. Wolverine shouldn't be able to swim. He's got a metal coated skeleton! :mad:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lucifunk posted:

The only nitpick I really have about the Wolverine/X-Force run by Percy is the issue or two about Wolverine loving surfing. Logan killed Daken in a puddle when Daken was still an evil poo poo. Wolverine shouldn't be able to swim. He's got a metal coated skeleton! :mad:

The thrill of danger is what makes him like it so much!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I do not want to forgive Sinister, no

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
After reading issues here and there I decided to sit down and finally read the Krakoa era from the beginning (well, the parts I want to, which is mainly Hickman X-Men and New Mutants + major events). I just finished all of X of Swords and I thought it was a super fun, blockbuster X-story. I remember hearing lots of people didn’t like it at the time, and I’m sure the 500+ page epic reads better when you can sit down and enjoy it over a couple days and not 6 months. But it’s got great character moments, pretty amazing art all the way through. I thought it was cool that it focused on some less central characters of the X-Universe (really, Wolverine and Storm are only supporting characters here), and had great twists and turns. I had a really good time reading it! X of Swords good!!!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Conrad_Birdie posted:

After reading issues here and there I decided to sit down and finally read the Krakoa era from the beginning (well, the parts I want to, which is mainly Hickman X-Men and New Mutants + major events). I just finished all of X of Swords and I thought it was a super fun, blockbuster X-story. I remember hearing lots of people didn’t like it at the time, and I’m sure the 500+ page epic reads better when you can sit down and enjoy it over a couple days and not 6 months. But it’s got great character moments, pretty amazing art all the way through. I thought it was cool that it focused on some less central characters of the X-Universe (really, Wolverine and Storm are only supporting characters here), and had great twists and turns. I had a really good time reading it! X of Swords good!!!
I haven't read it since it came out (and I may have skipped a few issues of books I don't normally read, I forget) but I think some of the negative response to it was that it was pitched as one sort of ridiculous (ALL OF THE X-MEN HAVE SWORDS! ALL TYPES OF FUCKIN' SWORDS, CAN YOU NAME THEM ALL? AND THEY'RE GONNA HAVE A BADASS SWORD TOURNAMENT!) and was instead a different type of ridiculous (The X-Men will be sucked into a weird game of Calvinball! People will get drunk and make out and get married! And it will involve at least two lore dumps!)

As a rule the second story, the one we actually got, is more appealing to me and I liked it. I'm not saying there aren't other reasons not to have enjoyed it, but a lot of the contemporary response seemed to be WHEN ARE WE GETTING TO THE SWORD TOURNAMENT?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it also doesn't help that one of the central characters in it was Saturnyne, a character nobody will ever see and not immediately think "why is Emma Frost doing this?"

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah the “Swords” ended up being a lot less important than originally advertised, which was interesting.
In a weird way I enjoyed that there was this biiiiiig dramatic buildup to a sword battle and then it was more comedic fuckery by an Otherwordly being. Definitely deflating, but it kinda underscored the futility of fighting with what are essentially gods. They’re going to do whatever they want and you don’t have much say in it, life is absurd, just go with it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I binged that and loved it to death. Magik loving up the spelling of 'magic' because she automatically went for her superhero name was hilarious.

My only complaint is that we should have gotten full issues for the dance contest and the fashion show trial.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I thought X of Swords was great at the time, the pacing was a bit weird, but once the tournament itself started it was just amazing. And I will die for Doug's large wife.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Sephyr posted:

I binged that and loved it to death. Magik loving up the spelling of 'magic' because she automatically went for her superhero name was hilarious.

My only complaint is that we should have gotten full issues for the dance contest and the fashion show trial.

I just like to think Magik thinks that’s actually how magic is spelled. I love her, but she’s not the brightest

Also a big fan of Doug’s large wife

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Air Skwirl posted:

And I will die for Doug's large wife.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Also a big fan of Doug’s large wife

I think you may be some of the only people who remember she even exists. That poor character got dropped faster than any newer character that weren't from Children of the Atom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I think you may be some of the only people who remember she even exists. That poor character got dropped faster than any newer character that weren't from Children of the Atom.

She was in Knights of X, I expect either Duggan or Ewing to remember she exists.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
It's complicated because Doug is Krakoa's wife and Krakoa has him in an organic panic room.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Everyone talks about Jean having two husbands, but no one talks about doug being married to large wife, krakoa, and warlock

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Everyone talks about Jean having two husbands, but no one talks about doug being married to large wife, krakoa, and warlock

Jean has a husband and a boyfriend

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Speaking of which, are Scott and Jean actually married at the moment (ignoring the fact that she's presently dead/incorporeal)? How does marriage work when your spouse comes back to life after 13 years? Is is just automatically back on, do you have to renew your vows, or do you have to go through the whole process again?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Air Skwirl posted:

Her husband’s girlfriend might be there sometimes, too

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Her husband’s girlfriend might be there sometimes, too

I don't know if they ever showed Emma on the moon or in the treehouse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Air Skwirl posted:

Rude to say Scott's only her bf

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Speaking of which, are Scott and Jean actually married at the moment (ignoring the fact that she's presently dead/incorporeal)? How does marriage work when your spouse comes back to life after 13 years? Is is just automatically back on, do you have to renew your vows, or do you have to go through the whole process again?

They both died so it washes out and makes them married again.

But yeah they are actually married. I think the only thing that matters is if they consider themselves to be so, which they do.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rochallor posted:

I'm picturing a scene where Professor X goes into the county office to file a death certificate and the person just rolls their eyes at him.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

danbanana posted:

It's complicated because Doug is Krakoa's wife and Krakoa has him in an organic panic room.

I love comics

Rick posted:

I'm picturing a scene where Professor X goes into the county office to file a death certificate and the person just rolls their eyes at him.

Yeah right he mindwipes that person every time. For Chuck to be able to still run a school that has a military jet and gets violently attacked each week he's constantly mindwiping a large swath of people

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 12, 2023

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
"Actually you don't want to do nuclear armageddon"

-Good ol' Chuck X

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alaois posted:

it also doesn't help that one of the central characters in it was Saturnyne, a character nobody will ever see and not immediately think "why is Emma Frost doing this?"
Saturnyne has done deep cover disguises before. With a properly powered telepathy device she could absolutely replace Emma. Who's gonna notice, Tony Stark?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Nessus posted:

Saturnyne has done deep cover disguises before. With a properly powered telepathy device she could absolutely replace Emma. Who's gonna notice, Tony Stark?

yeah og excalibur had me feeling a little confused on the whole courtney ross thing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

yeah og excalibur had me feeling a little confused on the whole courtney ross thing

I think it confused Claremont and Alan Davis too, because there's definitely issues that seem like the writers had forgotten that she wasn't the original Courtney Ross, but was actually an evil doppelganger.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I love the Davis Excalibur, but in the lead up to #50, easily one of the best X-Men issues of all time, yeah there is a blatant scene where he remembers in real time that that's not Courtney Ross and does some half-assed patch job.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It's my understanding that a lot of Davis' initial solo run on Excalibur was him picking up all of Claremont's dropped plot threads.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

It's my understanding that a lot of Davis' initial solo run on Excalibur was him picking up all of Claremont's dropped plot threads.

Given how much he drew of Claremont's run on Excalibur, and I think they were still working in a more collaborative style, a good chunk of those dropped plots thread were one's Alan Davis had a hand in creating in the first place.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Has anyone been reading Predator vs Wolverine? I love Predator and Wolverine, but haven't been able to make it to a shop in a while for health reasons. Wondering if it's worth ordering online, or wait on a trade.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I just like to think Magik thinks that’s actually how magic is spelled. I love her, but she’s not the brightest

You wouldn't be great at spelling either if, instead of going to elementary and middle school, you went to hell. Her spelling's probably fine in enochian runes or archaic fel-latin or whatever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Children of the Vault would be the perfect series if only it was longer. The fact that there's not like twenty more issues of Cable and Bishop being cantankerous dicks-slash-magnificent bastards to everyone, including themselves, is a travesty.

On the flip side: I've been waiting about twenty fuckin' years to see the thing that finally happened in the final part of the Jean Grey issue this week, and there was also a bunch of heartfelt, good writing in here. But...realistically...this story could've been like two issues, tops. :sweatdrop: Realistically, all this stuff could've (and probably should've) just happened in Immortal X-Men.

Some good stuff in the other books, too. Dark, Uncanny, and Icemen all had stride-hitting momets...But man, there were some real fuckin' lengthy thesis papers in the datapages this week. All these paragraphs after paragraphs of wordvomits hit real hard when you're reading one book after the other, at some point I just started zoning them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i found myself skipping entire pages in iceman the last issue so i'm glad i don't have to pretend to care about that one anymore

e: nm for some reason i thought these were all ending at issue 4

site fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 15, 2023