Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Turok 3 Remaster has been delayed a couple of weeks, from November 14 to 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

1gb update for Dusk... could it be?

edit: lmao 3.1mb. I need glasses.

lol

gently caress!!!!
oh well, gives me time to save to buy it on every console i own :cheers:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

stolen from the discord, there's a sin sourceport out

https://cohost.org/rohit/post/3207148-release-dominatrix

holy poo poo controller support and Linux,...

plz lemme know if anyone gets this going on Steam Deck

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

wow, thanks!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

This helped a bit, thanks.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

Oh drat, definitely something to check out. I haven't been able to really get into SiN despite wanting to, hopefully this will help.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

The Kins posted:

Dario Casali (of too-many-revenants infamy and made-a-few-games fame) is doing a 25th anniversary developer commentary playthrough of the original Half-Life, drawing on old documents (including a very early design document where the game was called "Belly of the Beast") and personal diaries to bolster quarter-century-old memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naWgflzwwTc

His commentary has been interesting but oh boy his gameplay is painful to watch sometimes.

I didn't even know hl1 scientists could heal you, or I memoryholed it.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

site posted:

Just checked this out after a friend mentioned it and I can almost immediately see why it took so long for someone to be madlad enough to bother source porting SiN. How do you take a game like Quake 2 that has perfectly good movement and screw it up like that? Yet another layer to the enigma that is SiN.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Crustashio posted:

I didn't even know hl1 scientists could heal you, or I memoryholed it.

They only do that if your health is really low, and given how effective armor is in HL1 it is perfectly possible to play through the whole game without ever getting your health low enough to trigger it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nostalgamus posted:

They only do that if your health is really low, and given how effective armor is in HL1 it is perfectly possible to play through the whole game without ever getting your health low enough to trigger it.

I remember the scientists healing me a lot.

:(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

blink twice if this is you rocket pan

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Just checked this out after a friend mentioned it and I can almost immediately see why it took so long for someone to be madlad enough to bother source porting SiN. How do you take a game like Quake 2 that has perfectly good movement and screw it up like that? Yet another layer to the enigma that is SiN.

Having played a bit more of it, I can safely describe SiN as feeling "playable in spite of itself", since it seems like it tries to undo everything that worked about Quake 2's movement and shooting but doesn't do quite enough to actually ruin the core gameplay, just weaken it considerably.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

repiv posted:

On the one hand, Half-Life Remastered would be great. On the other, Black Mesa exists, and nobody wants to put up with OG Xen.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Grimthwacker posted:

and nobody wants to put up with OG Xen.
Nothing beats OG Xen

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

repiv posted:

Sorry, not us.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I love OG Xen. Black Mesa Xen was created by a Tedium Elemental.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If I had to guess, the HL1 stuff is probably an update for better Steam Deck support to mark the game’s 25th Anniversary and the launch of the OLED Deck.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
BM Xen is impressive as a fan mapping achievement. They made a lot of content that works, and some of it looks and plays well.

It feels much less like Half Life 1 and more like 2 though. BM is already kind of HL2 inspired obviously but with the new content here it feels particularly marked. Sometimes very explicit inspiration, like with the three beam generator puzzle based on the reactor in Episode 1.

It also doesn’t do the pacing of the game as a whole any favors. HL1 is a pretty long game and BM Xen has to take like twice as long as the original Xen.

I do kind of like original Xen. 90s FPS campaigns are required by Gaming Law to have a final zone that’s hosed up and weird and Xen has to be near the peak of that. The stoner wallpaper skyboxes, the abstract geometry that might be organic or industrial or just weird chunks of land, the sound when you stand in the healing pools, the longjumps. It’s got a great inscrutable alien atmosphere that the BM version loses a bit. Real X-Files poo poo

The bad part is the aliens. Flying guys are annoying and slow to kill. Alien soldiers are slow to kill too, and alien soldiers and vorts both reward corner-camping. The boss fights aren’t great either. BM Xen has some obnoxious or unfun fights but it’s no worse than the original in that regard.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mordja posted:

I remember playing the Beyond Sunset demo from a year or so back and not loving it. Is the current demo on steam a new one?

Apparently the demo changed a bunch and very frequently according to civvie. The version he showcased in the roundup was in all likelihood the one I played and I loved it a bunch and he did too. That said, no idea if they're the same one. A month or 2 ago they changed it again, this time simplifying some of the platforming sections at the start which was insane; the movement was one of the game's best parts. It was very responsive (provided you didn't get surrounded) and if you hosed up, it was generally a skill issue

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

skasion posted:

The bad part is the aliens. Flying guys are annoying and slow to kill. Alien soldiers are slow to kill too, and alien soldiers and vorts both reward corner-camping. The boss fights aren’t great either. BM Xen has some obnoxious or unfun fights but it’s no worse than the original in that regard.

My favorite was dumping all my good ammo into the gonarch then not being able to rebuild my arsenal by the time I get to nihilanth

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Inside me is an angle and a daemon, for I embrace both OG Xen and BM Xen.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I genuinely liked the first BM Xen section, then 20 minutes into the gonarch fight I was ready for the game to be over. Then you go through another hour of factory but alien.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow dusk feels amazing to move around in.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Dusk fwiggin owns

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

Then you go through another hour of factory but alien.
Yes. I didn't mind Xen and Gonarch's Lair but Interloper needed to be aggressively edited.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The spinny elevators can go straight to hell. Perfectly disorienting and the vorts move around on the catwalks so there's a good chance you're getting popped before you can figure out where the hell they are

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/kinofabino/status/1723038058503971035

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

In Training posted:

Wow dusk feels amazing to move around in.

My fave part of Dusk is every time you play a level that feels exactly like a specific 90s shooter, and it's a different one each time, and both the vibes and gameplay are perfect, but it's still unmistakably Dusk.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

skasion posted:

BM Xen is impressive as a fan mapping achievement. They made a lot of content that works, and some of it looks and plays well.

It feels much less like Half Life 1 and more like 2 though. BM is already kind of HL2 inspired obviously but with the new content here it feels particularly marked. Sometimes very explicit inspiration, like with the three beam generator puzzle based on the reactor in Episode 1.

It also doesn’t do the pacing of the game as a whole any favors. HL1 is a pretty long game and BM Xen has to take like twice as long as the original Xen.

I do kind of like original Xen. 90s FPS campaigns are required by Gaming Law to have a final zone that’s hosed up and weird and Xen has to be near the peak of that. The stoner wallpaper skyboxes, the abstract geometry that might be organic or industrial or just weird chunks of land, the sound when you stand in the healing pools, the longjumps. It’s got a great inscrutable alien atmosphere that the BM version loses a bit. Real X-Files poo poo

The latter half of Black Mesa’s Xen with the interminable conveyor belt section should have been completely scrapped. The stuff before that was imaginative and well-realized, even if the Gonarch fight was badly mistuned, but once you move inside it’s like you’re traveling back 10 years to their first draft of the mod.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

OG Xen kind of sucks but it's not exactly a super long section so I guess I never really minded it. Parts of BM Xen were fine but it went on way, way, way too long and had way too many of the same style of puzzle. It just wasn't very fun and mostly very tedious. If I play BM again I'll just quit at Xen like it used to end.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Soldier of Fortune kinda falls apart at the end, and suffers from that late '90's-early '00's FPS problem of "hitscaners in your blind spot hit you for big damage the milisecond you enter their line-of-sight", but it was a pretty fun romp. I reckon I'll pick up Double Helix in the future, but next, Trepang2!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you hated that part of SOF1 boy do I have news for you about SOF2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Lot of love for DEUS EX in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGy1-YJXuM

The music mix in the cutscenes is a bit much, but it settles down in the gameplay. I like the 'Checkpoint device' over quicksaves as well.

Missed this on the last page but I'm all for whatever this is

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
BM Xen is really cool and does a good job of making Xen feel like a place instead of random platforms in the void.

I liked the factory, it's just 2-3x longer than it should have been.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

BM Xen is really cool and does a good job of making Xen feel like a place instead of random platforms in the void.

I liked the factory, it's just 2-3x longer than it should have been.

Same here. I liked BM Xen and that factory was just too long but overall felt like a proper new world. Original Xen was ugly, felt like a bunch of custom maps thrown together and the awful last section before Nihilanth was...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Missed this on the last page but I'm all for whatever this is

Wow that interface really is Deus ex lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

Wow that interface really is Deus ex lol

I literally thought it was a Deus Ex mod lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I've almost certainly said before, for me the Xen factory map feels either too abstract or not abstract enough.

Also I feel like they struggled to actually link each map together. My memories are that you end up going between maps in all sorts of weird, unnatural-feeling ways. Though I also haven't played HL1, let alone Xen specifically, in just short of forever.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

John Murdoch posted:

As I've almost certainly said before, for me the Xen factory map feels either too abstract or not abstract enough.

Also I feel like they struggled to actually link each map together. My memories are that you end up going between maps in all sorts of weird, unnatural-feeling ways. Though I also haven't played HL1, let alone Xen specifically, in just short of forever.

That's because of polygon face limits. I miss those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Milo and POTUS posted:

5.5 hours of gameplay for 9 bucks on the Beyond Sunset EA. Not a bad trade at all especially since I played it on easiest and I imagine it'd look even more favorable if played on a real difficulty, although you can't exactly use the demo as a reference since it's so wildly different from the base game. Apparently 2 more episodes to go too (although they were getting shorter in turn) so I'd feel comfortable saying that there's probably at least another 2.5 to 3.5 hours ahead. Fundamentally think it's a good game hampered by feature creep, or at least an inability to know exactly what they wanted to do with the game. The FPS stuff is good, bordering low key great. The RPG elements are very wanting. I feel it was a huge mistake to force them any more than was in the demo. I got a lot more opinions but I'd have to stew on them a bit more. Props though, ep 3 culminates in an actually pretty good turret section, a rarity in any game, although I got the feeling it would have been frustratingly difficult on any difficulty above medium and even that might be a contest

How did you finish episode 2? I've hacked the network 4 times with the Ice Breaker but there's a 5th disc and I'm not sure how to proceed.