Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

It occurs to me that despite being with him for over a decade, I still have no idea what exactly Jet wants when he meows at me while I’m at my desk. If I get up and follow him, by default he walks to his food bowl (which is rarely if ever empty). As far as I can tell he either wants me to watch him eat, or to pet him while he eats??? I wish I could know exactly what he’s asking for.

My tortie does this constantly, even when the gravity feeder doesn't need to be shook to let more food down :argh:

In fountain chat, I've got one of those little flower spout ones and a handmedown BIGDOG fountain from my sister, the latter so that I don't have to fill it up every single day. They're both plastic but the also both have filters which I hope at least helps keep things clean.

Cat Tax:

Feeling cute, might delete this later IDK those loving fangs :swoon:

Cute, when they're sleeping.

Chillin on the catio.

My old torty on her new bed. It's very soft.

:spooky:BOO!:spooky:
https://i.imgur.com/hVHctqa.mp4
:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

eating only apples posted:

I got this ceramic fountain and found it requires a lot less cleaning and gets a lot less gross than plastic ones

https://miaustore.com/uk/

The pump is good too, pretty durable. It claims it lasts a lot longer than plastic ones, idk.

Yep this is the one I have, the individual pieces come off and can be washed easily, and the pump has been going strong for months now with mild cleaning

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I ordered the AquaPurr. I hope he likes it. I clean too many things I didn't used to already.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I think I'm going to try one of those AquaPurrs. I had some other one from amazon but the cleaning was a pain and only 1 cat used it anyway.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
How dangerous are "loop pile" rugs for cats? I've heard that cat claws can get stuck or snagged in them. We're putting wool or cotton carpet stair runners so my cats will stop slipping on the stairs but most carpet stair runners made out of wool are loop pile only and it's really restricting our options.

I don't care how damaged and torn up the runners get- I just don't want to risk injury to our cats' claws.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

melon cat posted:

How dangerous are "loop pile" rugs for cats? I've heard that cat claws can get stuck or snagged in them.
Not a problem. Consider how many scratching posts are made of loop-pile carpet.

Where are you buying stair runners? I've been thinking of putting some in.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hard disagree. Just because some scratching posts have loop carpet doesn’t mean it’s safe.

I had one particular cat that always got stuck on the carpet loops. I had to keep her claws trimmed short to help with that. The other cats usually didn’t get stuck but would sometimes.

Long loops were the worst, short loop carpet was better but can cause problems and are especially dangerous for young cats running at high speed.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
When I was a kid my neighbor had to have her house re-carpeted because one of her cats tore out 2 claws on the low-pile looped carpet. Her other 3 cats, plus her previous cats, never had that problem. It seems to be a cat-by-cat thing but better safe than sorry, since it's painful for the cat and bloody for the carpet.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I can see that being a problem. Butters stays unclipped and does get stuck on blankets sometimes but fortunately my carpets aren't looped.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Man I've got a kitten recently and I work nights and the amount of energy this lil guy has is nuts which I expected the only issue is it's right when my shift ends at around 6/7 that he wakes up and is ready to go ham. I can play with him for a bit but when I go to bed hes still going and will yell for me and I absolutely can't seem to tire him out like I can at other times when he's excited, do you have any advice or recommendations for a toy he can use himself without just getting bored instantly if I'm not actively playing with him, he has all sorts of soft toys and balls etc but has no interest if I'm not around to throw them for him, I would love to get a second kitten but landlord only allowing me 1 pet rn and they do regular inspections so I can't go with the obvious solution.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kullik posted:

the obvious solution.

Matching cats?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

you could try getting a small mirror and putting it in your cat's play area so when the landlord comes in he'll be too distracted trying to evict his mirror image to notice that you have two cats.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Get another identical looking cat. Chances are at most one of them will be out and about when the landlord comes a'knockin.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Get a cat who likes other cats but is scared of strangers. The landlord will never see it in whatever ingenious hiding place it figures out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly you should have gotten a lazy adult cat and not a kitten.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Kullik posted:

Man I've got a kitten recently and I work nights and the amount of energy this lil guy has is nuts which I expected the only issue is it's right when my shift ends at around 6/7 that he wakes up and is ready to go ham. I can play with him for a bit but when I go to bed hes still going and will yell for me and I absolutely can't seem to tire him out like I can at other times when he's excited, do you have any advice or recommendations for a toy he can use himself without just getting bored instantly if I'm not actively playing with him, he has all sorts of soft toys and balls etc but has no interest if I'm not around to throw them for him, I would love to get a second kitten but landlord only allowing me 1 pet rn and they do regular inspections so I can't go with the obvious solution.

Cat wheel, my cats run on that thing all day long

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
What are people's suggestions for a good quality battery powered water fountain? Trashcat has decided that two different bowls of water is no longer good enough for him after a year and has taken to perch on the bathroom counter to wait for me to turn the sink on. Battery powered is a requirement due to lack of outlets in any spot a fountain would fit.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly you should have gotten a lazy adult cat and not a kitten.

Yeah honestly but there were some kinda weird circumstances with the shelters here only letting you adopt if you were willing to let them go outdoors and stuff. I think with two of us here and me working from home we can probably manage til he chills out. I was just hoping for some recs to make it a lil easier

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KariOhki posted:

What are people's suggestions for a good quality battery powered water fountain? Trashcat has decided that two different bowls of water is no longer good enough for him after a year and has taken to perch on the bathroom counter to wait for me to turn the sink on. Battery powered is a requirement due to lack of outlets in any spot a fountain would fit.

I would argue that you can use a USB battery pack (maybe 2 in rotation) and the micro-usb powered fountains would all be fair game - they can't draw much energy and swapping the battery packs every week doesn't seem that bad. The petkit eversweet 2 that I have also has a 'smart' mode where it doesn't run the pump all the time.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

KariOhki posted:

I've never bought this but was contemplating it for the longest time: https://aquapurr.com/

Battery powered and attaches to the water tap

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I've never bought this but was contemplating it for the longest time: https://aquapurr.com/

I got it this week. He likes it. He gets very wet though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kullik posted:

Yeah honestly but there were some kinda weird circumstances with the shelters here only letting you adopt if you were willing to let them go outdoors and stuff.

:dafuq:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Kullik posted:

Yeah honestly but there were some kinda weird circumstances with the shelters here only letting you adopt if you were willing to let them go outdoors and stuff. I think with two of us here and me working from home we can probably manage til he chills out. I was just hoping for some recs to make it a lil easier

Get them a friend! Seriously, you already have one kitten, a second isn't much more work, and they'll likely bond and be besties for life.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

That seems to be a thing in UK & European shelters? I had a friend in Germany who kept running into the same issue.

…I kinda wonder how much of it’s because of ecological differences (in the US outdoor cats have really hosed with native songbird populations, and we’ve got coyotes). Idk if they have as many natural predators over there (aside from cars)? Obviously there’s more reasons to keep cats indoors, but there’s certainly cultural and regional differences in attitudes towards pets that are interesting to observe. Even in the states attitudes towards cats seem to have changed a lot in 20 years.

I see too many coyotes to ever consider outdoor cats. I literally saw a coyote run outside my apartment in broad daylight with a black cat in its mouth. :(

Kullik posted:

Kitten question

Post your kitten in the YOSPOS catte thread! Now that Tippy and Luna got big we don’t really have any little guys atm.

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 10, 2023

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I would argue that you can use a USB battery pack (maybe 2 in rotation) and the micro-usb powered fountains would all be fair game - they can't draw much energy and swapping the battery packs every week doesn't seem that bad. The petkit eversweet 2 that I have also has a 'smart' mode where it doesn't run the pump all the time.

This sounds like it'd work! I'll look into this one and/or others. Really "battery powered" meant "not required to plug into a wall" more than anything.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Huh, that's neat. If I trusted him enough to be on the counter unsupervised I'd get this, but he's prone to getting into trouble with knocking things down and chewing on others.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Crocobile posted:

That seems to be a thing in UK & European shelters? I had a friend in Germany who kept running into the same issue.

…I kinda wonder how much of it’s because of ecological differences (in the US outdoor cats have really hosed with native songbird populations, and we’ve got coyotes). Idk if they have as many natural predators over there (aside from cars)? Obviously there’s more reasons to keep cats indoors, but there’s certainly cultural and regional differences in attitudes towards pets that are interesting to observe. Even in the states attitudes towards cats seem to have changed a lot in 20 years.

I see too many coyotes to ever consider outdoor cats. I literally saw a coyote run outside my apartment in broad daylight with a black cat in its mouth. :(

Post your kitten in the YOSPOS catte thread! Now that Tippy and Luna got big we don’t really have any little guys atm.

Yeah pretty much that's what's going on here afaik.
Anyway I'm not about to throw him in the trash so I can go get a different cat
he did that on his own

I posted some more pics in yospos for ya

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kullik posted:

I had to attest that I would not let the cat outdoors. This wasn't unique to the cat or anything; it was their standard.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

When I adopted my cats via the RSPCA they did a home visit and were quite insistent that we keep them inside until they'd had their shots and neutering but that after that we would let them roam outside. I said yes and then I did not let them outside. Blue Cross also strongly encourages adopters to let their cats out. Even Battersea Cats and Dogs Home, right in the heart of central London, is reluctant to adopt out cats to people without a garden or catflap. It's insane.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I got my cats from a buddy for free

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

floofyscorp posted:

When I adopted my cats via the RSPCA they did a home visit and were quite insistent that we keep them inside until they'd had their shots and neutering but that after that we would let them roam outside. I said yes and then I did not let them outside. Blue Cross also strongly encourages adopters to let their cats out. Even Battersea Cats and Dogs Home, right in the heart of central London, is reluctant to adopt out cats to people without a garden or catflap. It's insane.

Have you checked to see if these organizations are run by, like, earthworms or acorns or something? Because it seems like they're mandating bird and small mammal genocide.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There are vastly different attitudes with respect to indoor/outdoor cats in Europe (including the UK) versus the US and elsewhere. It is what it is.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

When we adopted pav from a cat rescue organization they had like, multiple questions relating to not letting the cat outside on a (honestly super thorough) questionaire

Crazy how different it is in the EU/UK I guess

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weird Pumpkin posted:

When we adopted pav from a cat rescue organization they had like, multiple questions relating to not letting the cat outside on a (honestly super thorough) questionaire

Crazy how different it is in the EU/UK I guess

they were going to phone my corporate landlords and get back to us in a couple days then it turned out the person helping us's partner lived there and was familiar with the policy. there was also a form asking us a bunch of questions about our plans for taking care of the cat and what we would do if we went on vacation, the cat got ill etc. It felt like a job interview.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The one question I remember from our adoption application was "how will you deal with cats clawing furniture," which was clearly intended to weed out declawers, but they seemed amused by "offer scratchers and also I don't care, my couch sucks."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only issue we've ever had was adopting a black cat in October. Apparently using black cats for sacrifice during Halloween is a myth people believe in.

Only reason I got offended is because it was a littermate of a kitten we had taken in that died of a liver shunt. Like if we come in for a second try, don't start questioning our motivations. We already feel lovely.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

Cat wheel, my cats run on that thing all day long
Tell me your secrets - my unappreciative cat will only put a paw on the wheel if there's an extremely high value treat and even then she passes on it if reaching it would require her putting a second paw on.

Re: adoption chat, I'm still peeved that the first rescue I tried had me all set up to adopt a cat on a particular day, paperwork completed and all, and then backed out when I asked if they would recommend taking an Uber home instead of the bus to try to minimize stress. Apparently not owning a car made me an unacceptable filthy poor.

Jayne Doe fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 11, 2023

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Jayne Doe posted:

Tell me your secrets - my unappreciative cat will only put a paw on the wheel if there's an extremely high value treat and even then she passes on it if reaching it would require her putting a second paw on.

Re: adoption chat, I'm still peeved that the first rescue I tried had me all set up to adopt a cat on a particular day, paperwork completed and all, and then backed out when I asked if they would recommend taking an Uber home instead of the bus to try to minimize stress. Apparently not owning a car made me an unacceptable filthy poor.

I mostly used a laser to get them to understand it and then they decided to start using it on their own periodically.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I wish more pet owners were screened to make sure they had some baseline of responsibility, but some of that does sound pretty excessive. I've actually never formally adopted a cat from a shelter, I just walk outside and get one. Like, just pick one up and take it to the vet for a checkup/shots bing bong so simple.

That's probably what happened to this fat bastard down at my local liquor store:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My mother in law recently acquired a cat, he currently lives in the walls of her home. He figured out how to get inside and back out, I suspect soon he will have formal residence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

AtomikKrab posted:

My mother in law recently acquired a cat, he currently lives in the walls of her home. He figured out how to get inside and back out, I suspect soon he will have formal residence.

Charlie_Kelly.txt