Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Vengarr posted:

Two arrests for DUIs help sustain the persistent stories that he was a heavy drinker his whole career, including the puking-in-the-huddle Super Bowl 39 incident (and the lesser-known “Freddie Mitchell had to call plays because McNabb was mumbling like a drunk” story) that have been attested to by several teammates. He was known for having conditioning problems for the length of his career and for not watching tape, both of which were managed in Philly but were really exposed in Washington.

Also he definitely bullied the poo poo out of Shawn Andrews over his mental health problems. Great guy all-around

I would expect the mumbling like a drunk in the huddle might have been more likely concussion related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
his peers (Brady, Manning, Brees) dominate him in accomplishments. if they'd won in 2004, or even just went again in 2008, he'd be borderline

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flikken posted:

I would expect the mumbling like a drunk in the huddle might have been more likely concussion related.

yeah both of those stories are from late in games so unless he was spiking his Gatorade I don't think he was getting drunker as the game went on

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oops

indigi fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 10, 2023

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
I’m pretty sure he also copped to going out and partying in the lead up to the game, which is part of the reason why the story about being drunk or hungover vs taking a big hit and puking on the sidelines had persisted for so long.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Is McNabb hall of fame???

https://i.imgur.com/wlk0eKU.gifv

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love Donovan McNabb because he gave me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PzZ3OgzOU

And subsequently this

All on the same day, what a treat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he threw a touchdown on that play

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/8/31/23849047/how-many-quarterbacks-would-you-trade-daniel-jones-for-ny-giants

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"In -tan-gi-bles!" they chant, of the 1,500 most roided-out, physically destructive humans on earth

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"Ya know, these boys really need a frumpy doofus in gym shorts to hoarsely shout platitudes at them to Really Succeed."
- fat guy from northeast, talking about guys who were motivated, coached, talented and driven enough to become the top .0001% of athletes in the entire world

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

blarzgh.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Grandpa

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol just absolutely flailing

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

blarzgh posted:

"Ya know, these boys really need a frumpy doofus in gym shorts to hoarsely shout platitudes at them to Really Succeed."
- fat guy from northeast, talking about guys who were motivated, coached, talented and driven enough to become the top .0001% of athletes in the entire world

That's not what people are saying. Empty platitudes are whatever, that's old school intangible talk which was thinly coded for acted like a good little employee and is Christian or some other stupid bullshit.

Actual intangibles are like:

Works well with others
Will listen and accept criticism
Will look to aim to progress talents

These are things that a lot of naturally talented people can skate right past all through high school and college. You kind of need these assets to work any job so that's what scouts, I assume, usually look for during the interviews. Examples are how Zach Wilson is perceived by his team or the change in attitude with the Raiders between McDaniels and Pierce.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm just grateful the annual unhinged rant isn't about Dak for once. Finally changing things up a bit

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Look at all these players Intangibling their way to a superbowl, wow truly inspirational

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hope you and the fam are having a great Friday :)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:mcnabb:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

gently caress the Cowboys.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My least favorite McNabb moment

https://youtu.be/eFGSaYLXrg8?si=B4lyyz9C95PqzIU0

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

*Kevin Harlan voice* the guy is DRUNK!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Remember when Osi Umenyiora sacked McNabb like 7 times in one game by himself?

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Remember when Osi Umenyiora sacked McNabb like 7 times in one game by himself?

The Winston Justice game.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm just grateful the annual unhinged rant isn't about Dak for once. Finally changing things up a bit

Wait for their inevitable hilarious loss to San Francisco in the playoffs where Dak recreates the Buttfumble step for step.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYqwZRVQ6eg

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

Hope you and the fam are having a great Friday :)

Thanks bud You too!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Does blazrgh know Eli manning existed? Or did he just go into a coma during that era of football.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Asproigerosis posted:

Does blazrgh know Eli manning existed? Or did he just go into a coma during that era of football.

What was his intangibles, the ability to make full sentences without inflating the soft spot on his head

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm genuinely baffled by this. Is the assertion that, because you can't measure a quality like leadership or the ability to be taught, it doesn't impact the output on the field? And I guess the follow-up would be: If intangibles don't exist, are the qualities associated with them actually measurable? Are those qualities just fabrications that can be explained away with more complex metrics?

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm genuinely baffled by this. Is the assertion that, because you can't measure a quality like leadership or the ability to be taught, it doesn't impact the output on the field? And I guess the follow-up would be: If intangibles don't exist, are the qualities associated with them actually measurable? Are those qualities just fabrications that can be explained away with more complex metrics?

Yeah I thought someone in this thread (or maybe another thread?) posted about this recently, but I cant find it to quote them, so here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McNamara_fallacy

quote:

The McNamara fallacy (also known as the quantitative fallacy),[1] named for Robert McNamara, the US Secretary of Defense from 1961 to 1968, involves making a decision based solely on quantitative observations (or metrics) and ignoring all others. The reason given is often that these other observations cannot be proven.

"But when the McNamara discipline is applied too literally, the first step is to measure whatever can be easily measured. The second step is to disregard that which can't easily be measured or given a quantitative value. The third step is to presume that what can't be measured easily really isn't important. The fo[u]rth step is to say that what can't be easily measured really doesn't exist. This is suicide."
— Daniel Yankelovich, "Interpreting the New Life Styles", Sales Management (1971)[2]

The quote originally referred to McNamara's ideology during the two months that he was president of Ford Motor Company, but has since been interpreted to refer to his attitudes during the Vietnam War.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Blarzgh doesn't believe in anything that can't be measured, and believes in many things that shouldn't be empirically measured.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Blarzgh doesn't believe in anything that can't be measured, and believes in many things that shouldn't be empirically measured.

Honestly, Tommy DeVito probably has 5 or 6 more intangibles than Danny Dimes, so I'm expecting big things tomorrow

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Watching Stat people have meltdowns over messy human emotions they cant measure will never not be hilarious

The day Eli makes the hall of fame is going to be spreadsheet dork 9/11

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I never really believed in sports psychology either but that was before realizing it's just another form of poo poo they teach you in education programs. It's easy to divorce yourself from emotions with sports and think these guys are all automaton athletes that work non stop all day every day. I also used to frame that in thinking that everyone was equivalent to the high schoolers I played with. There are legitimate athletes out there that don't try at all and are still amazing. Bigger, better, faster, stronger, all those things.

What really got me was seeing those athletes in a D3 setting. The difference between them and D1 a lot of times are those intangibles that I used to roll my eyes at. Like having self-motivation is an intangible. Being able to be coached is an intangible. Handling pressure is an intangible. You can't measure it but it's absolutely important.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of the greatest players of all time seem psychotic in certain ways. Jordan, Brady, Rodgers, all of them have a weird confirmed competitive streak where they will even make up slights just to drive them further

You can't coach that, that's not measurable thing, it's not even something most other players at the professional level will have to such a degree.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Doltos posted:

That's not what people are saying. Empty platitudes are whatever, that's old school intangible talk which was thinly coded for acted like a good little employee and is Christian or some other stupid bullshit.
Or "having a girlfriend that the scouts jerk off to", never forget

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Febreeze posted:

The day Eli makes the hall of fame is going to be spreadsheet dork 9/11

I committed years ago to making sure I'll take that day off if I'm working it when it's announced. This is one of at least 3 different sites I view that will have live, intense meltdowns from people who each deserve it, and I don't wanna miss a drat second of it :sickos:

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Febreeze posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of the greatest players of all time seem psychotic in certain ways. Jordan, Brady, Rodgers, all of them have a weird confirmed competitive streak where they will even make up slights just to drive them further

You can't coach that, that's not measurable thing, it's not even something most other players at the professional level will have to such a degree.

That's just sociopathy. Intangible maybe, but diagnosable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's funny when someone obviously knows they're wrong but can't admit it so just do "I'm trolling you all now" schtick

Black Lighter posted:

That's just sociopathy. Intangible maybe, but diagnosable.

but you can't quantify it. sociopathy isn't objectively measurable, which means it's just an eye test. one doctor might think you're a sociopath and another may disagree. so when you think about it psychologists are basically just making things up