Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

jabby posted:

3 year old has what is obviously gastroenteritis, but my stupid doctor brain won't stop screaming about appendicitis or meningitis or sepsis and whenever she gets more stomach cramps and screams/throws up I practically have a panic attack.

She's fine, this was all 12+ hours ago but gently caress me this sucks. Starting to think I actually have legit mental trauma from my job. I got virtually no sleep last night and I can't sleep now because I'm terrified she's going to wake up screaming again.

Ouch that’s got to be hard. I have anxiety issues but am not a doctor and I still have lots of troubles with health stuff.

Like recently our son had a fever for a couple days (could have been a cold I brought back) and my mind goes straight to “what if it’s rsv and he gets a cough and he ends up in the hospital? What do I do? What if I end up in the hospital?” etc etc.

It’s certainly my experience that my job (before I became a stay at home dad) informed my anxiety a lot. Like I was a scientist so the catastrophizing and nonlinear thinking was actually legitimately helpful to me. But when you have a baby then it becomes very not helpful lmao.

Are you talking to a therapist? Definitely a good thing to talk about. And if whatever skill/approach you’re using isn’t right to manage your anxiety/behaviors then there’s plenty of other approaches you can try these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Eeyo posted:

It’s certainly my experience that my job (before I became a stay at home dad) informed my anxiety a lot. Like I was a scientist so the catastrophizing and nonlinear thinking was actually legitimately helpful to me. But when you have a baby then it becomes very not helpful lmao.

100%. In my working life, something like 1 out of every 10 people I meet dies within hours/days. And sepsis, cancer etc. is something basically everyone has.

It's TOTALLY unrepresentative even of hospital patients, let alone people in general. And definitely not kids. But try telling my brain that at 3am.

Eeyo posted:

Are you talking to a therapist? Definitely a good thing to talk about. And if whatever skill/approach you’re using isn’t right to manage your anxiety/behaviors then there’s plenty of other approaches you can try these days.

No, but it's something I've been looking into. I don't really have an approach to managing it other than trying to talk about it with my wife, who isn't a doctor. I definitely need to find one. Thanks for the support though, health anxiety buddy.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

My son is collecting new scrapes and bruises every day. I would like him to not be a walking scab by the time Thanksgiving arrives.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

So I appreciate that my daughter's preschool is teaching all the kids to loudly shout "I don't like that" and do a little wagging finger motion when someone does something they don't like like pushing them or hitting or taking their toys etc but now everything that has to get done at home is "Mama I DON'T LIKE THAT" and it's making me feel sad that I have to breach her stated boundaries even if its things that have to happen (toothbrush, socks, car seat, etc)

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

hallo spacedog posted:

So I appreciate that my daughter's preschool is teaching all the kids to loudly shout "I don't like that" and do a little wagging finger motion when someone does something they don't like like pushing them or hitting or taking their toys etc but now everything that has to get done at home is "Mama I DON'T LIKE THAT" and it's making me feel sad that I have to breach her stated boundaries even if its things that have to happen (toothbrush, socks, car seat, etc)

Don’t worry, they’ll start doing that to the preschool teacher too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hallo spacedog posted:

When my son finger waggles me I can't help but to laugh hysterically. I don't know why but it's so funny.

So of course he does it all the time now.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

God yeah it’s very hard to be like “child I want people to respect your bodily autonomy but I am also going to pin you down to brush your goddamned teeth”

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

hallo spacedog posted:

I love this, a generation of Dikembe Mutombos

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

dismas posted:

God yeah it’s very hard to be like “child I want people to respect your bodily autonomy but I am also going to pin you down to brush your goddamned teeth”

:same: this is such a crummy feeling, telling your kid "you are always the one who gets to decide what happens to your body, except when your hair needs washing"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

:same: this is such a crummy feeling, telling your kid "you are always the one who gets to decide what happens to your body, except when your hair needs washing"

Lmao :same:

Although on occasion in the last six weeks or so our 3yo has finally accepted getting her hair washed with minimal complaint

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I have done the forced teeth brushing, forced diaper change, forced clothes/shoes on, forced into car. Sorry kiddo.

I haven’t gotten the finger waggle but I do get a furrowed brow, hands on hips, “You’re not listening! You’re gonna go to timeout!” whenever he is mad at me.

I keep trying to validate his feelings and tell him it’s okay to have them. Unfortunately this means that every single night he gets out of bed and walks/crawls over to us 1-3 times saying “I’m sad”. The first time it happened I was concerned that he was sad, the 1000th time I was sick of the bedtime stalling. I give him a hug and a drink of water and send him back to bed and say “it’s ok to be sad, go be sad in bed. We will be happy tomorrow.”

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Toddler keeps trying to get the cats’ attention by whispering a perfectly articulated “Piss. Piss.” and I don’t have the heart to correct him.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"gently caress is a bad word. We don't say gently caress"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

space uncle posted:

I have done the forced teeth brushing, forced diaper change, forced clothes/shoes on, forced into car. Sorry kiddo.

I haven’t gotten the finger waggle but I do get a furrowed brow, hands on hips, “You’re not listening! You’re gonna go to timeout!” whenever he is mad at me.

I keep trying to validate his feelings and tell him it’s okay to have them. Unfortunately this means that every single night he gets out of bed and walks/crawls over to us 1-3 times saying “I’m sad”. The first time it happened I was concerned that he was sad, the 1000th time I was sick of the bedtime stalling. I give him a hug and a drink of water and send him back to bed and say “it’s ok to be sad, go be sad in bed. We will be happy tomorrow.”

Parenting Thread: We will be happy tomorrow

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Kids have still not adjusted to the time change and are still waking up consistently at 430a looking for attention and entertainment. I am trying to stress that this hour is for coffee or sleep, and very little else. We’ll see how it goes.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
The phrase we use for things that must happen is one I learned from this thread: “matters of safety a and hygiene are non-negotiable.” Of course this implies that everything else is negotiable and the child is quickly learning negotiate….but that’s an important skill, right?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

BadSamaritan posted:

Toddler keeps trying to get the cats’ attention by whispering a perfectly articulated “Piss. Piss.” and I don’t have the heart to correct him.

My kid heard the cats hiss at him once and now he hisses back at them.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

started potty training this morning. toddler does not want to be without pants, but is ok with wearing them as a hat

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

dismas posted:

Parenting Thread: I respect your bodily autonomy but I'm going to brush your goddamn teeth

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Christe Eleison posted:

Kids have still not adjusted to the time change and are still waking up consistently at 430a looking for attention and entertainment. I am trying to stress that this hour is for coffee or sleep, and very little else. We’ll see how it goes.

You might look in to an "ok to wake" clock. AFAIK these don't work super great for kids under ~2.5 but maybe your kids are of age where you could at least start with the training

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Parenting Thread: I respect your bodily autonomy but I'm going to brush your goddamn teeth

:siren: thread title

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Jose Valasquez posted:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jose Valasquez posted:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

What I’m hearing is that my son is never going to cooperate with teeth brushing ever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter is getting violent with me randomly, and I'm very frustrated by it. I asked her not to yank things out of her brother's hands and before I finished my sentence she'd whipped around screaming and had kicked and punched me. I know this is a common struggle people have but it's so sudden I'm reeling.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Oh man... The nuclear meltdown that happened when my husband told my daughter "I don't like that" back at her

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My 9 month old brought COVID back from daycare. Her pediatrician didn't have the COVID shot yet. Her dad (7 days vaccinated) got it, and I (14 days vaccinated) dodged it and took care of both of them. She was sick for about 3 days and now is just snotty but full of energy. My husband got really quite sick and is on paxlovid now. Everyone's on the mend.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You have my sympathy, "Kid is better, parent(s) still sick" is the worst part of the illness cycle.

It is notably worse with covid both because intense fatigue is a very common symptom in adults and because you can't really go anywhere to let the kiddo burn off their energy.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Here covid vaccinations are not currently given to anyone except high-risk groups, cases are rising rapidly and I do occasional covering shifts in a daycare so I'm just waiting when we're getting covid. I don't think licking cat hair off the floor is giving baby enough immunity boost.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

A few weeks ago I made a horrible mistake. We played sandstorm for our kid and now she just wants to listen to sandstorm over and over again while running in circles

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Now just toss on some Children and relive the 90s.

I went out to get an oil change and while I was gone my wife texts me this exchange:

Kiddo: you wanna help me make a jack-o-lantern? (On her tablet)
Wife: no thanks. I'm gonna tidy up. This house is a mess.
Kiddo: is someone coming here?

:lol: We clean when people aren't coming over kiddo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Weekly piano lessons have been worth the money just to force us to do a "guest" level cleaning once a week.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

You have my sympathy, "Kid is better, parent(s) still sick" is the worst part of the illness cycle.

We’re finishing this part up after a post-preschool-Halloween party case of Toddler Gunk. Non-COVID but still not fun.

The anticipation of knowing what’s coming when you feel fine and the kids are declining is also a crappy feeling. Just waiting for that first cough or sniffle to bring you down.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Doll House Ghost posted:

Here covid vaccinations are not currently given to anyone except high-risk groups, cases are rising rapidly and I do occasional covering shifts in a daycare so I'm just waiting when we're getting covid. I don't think licking cat hair off the floor is giving baby enough immunity boost.

We just got our kiddo vaccinated the other day.

Looking forward to not spending another 9-12 days in bed with cold sweats this winter

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

calandryll posted:

Kiddo: is someone coming here?

:lol: We clean when people aren't coming over kiddo.

You gotta be proud about that pattern recognition though!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Daughter asked why it's called "hanging up" a phone.

They're extraordinarily good at making me feel older than I truly am.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Urgh had to put my son in timeout because he wouldn’t stop sticking a finger up his butt!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Toddler decided he wanted to vacuum the house at 7 AM. Go for it, kid.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
3 year old, as she lovingly put a crown on my head: “this is your crown”

oh thank you

“This is your poop head crown”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

majestic12 posted: