Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
to be fair, Chili's isn't fancy like Applebee's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my daughter to stop talking about her stepmother and I on the internet?

quote:

My (60sM) daughter (28F) has had a hard life. To be completely up front, my wife has never been kind to her, but she has her share of problems as well and I really do wish my daughter, Faye, would be more sympathetic to them. I married her 15 years ago and she is 57. Also to be upfront, I am a bit "online" myself and my wife and son (15M) do frequently have to tell me to leave Twitter arguments alone. Faye was raised online, so this is likely partially my fault.

To make a long story short, Faye left us at 19 and did not get back into contact until she was 27. I was very happy to hear from her and I thought things were going well.

A few months ago, I came to find out that Faye is a writer in the online sphere that focuses on trauma recovery. She writes about other things as well, but most of the personal things she writes involves trauma. I'm trying to present both sides here, so I will say that Faye has never used names, ages, locations, professions, or other identifying information- but anyone close to us would be able to identify us due to the specific circumstances she writes about.

This upset both my wife and I greatly. I read through it all. It's good writing, but she's spewing our personal history all over the internet with no regard to who can see it. My wife and I have also found that she's changed some details and somewhat exaggerated others. It's very, very upsetting and I don't think it's healthy to deal with this.

I confronted her about it and she did not react well. She told me loudly that she did not want to talk about it, questioned how I found it, and completely refused to even acknowledge that I wanted to talk about it. I understand boundaries, but I don't think it's appropriate to shut someone down like that when they're trying to talk to you about their behavior.

I told her that she needs to deal with this in therapy. She coldly told me that she has been in intense therapy "because of us" for 10 years and has dealt with it in therapy.

The next day, everything was wiped. She left up a post demonizing us and calling us stalkers. That was it. I'm heartbroken, but at the same time, she was talking about me and my wife on the internet in public and I believe I had a right to confront her about it. AITA?

EDIT: My wife and son are telling me to stop replying now and I'm trying to be less "online" and know when to stop replying to people, so I'm going to let this stew for a bit.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'm trying to be less 'online',

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

kru posted:

I'm trying to be less 'online',

That would make a good thread title

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just pissin on the floor of the local Chili's, like any good person would.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is from a couple of pages ago. So sorry, But about long flights from Australia with kids:

My grandfather had the worst timing, and died when I was around 3 and my brother was just a baby.

My dad had to head back to Bengalaru from Melbourne immediately, and for some reason chose to take me. Mum stayed behind in Oz, and would be joining us with my brother after a week or so, (I think dealing with passport issues).

This was in the early 80s, so the way you got to Bengalaru from Melbourne was via Singapore, then Chennai, then catching a domestic flight to Bengalaru. All up around 14 hours in the air, with several others waiting in airports.

The point of this story, is the story that my dad will tell anyone at the drop of a hat, is that a crying baby is not the worst thing that you can get on an international trip. A toddler crying coz it has shat itself is. And in 80s Chennai, the "baby change" station was in the womens toilets. So my dad, after two long international flights dragging a toddler with him, waiting for the third to get him home to his grieving family was not allowed to go into the ladies toilets to change me. So, instead, he did what all hygenic people would do. Is that he changed his first born son's nappy on the floor of a busy international airport in Southern India.

Whilst I was too young to remember it, I am sure that was a fun trip for everyone involved.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

the holy poopacy posted:

:pusheen:

That's my point, the "not kid-friendly" thing is something she's projecting onto the venue. A bar fancy enough to be a desirable place to host a wedding reception isn't going to be noticeably any different than any other restaurant, ballroom, banquet hall, etc.
I think it came out in comments that it was a winery.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Traveling with kids: I met a band this week who were touring with a toddler and a 6 year old in the van as the main artists were a married couple.

That is absolutely insane behaviour. I have seen fully-grown adults (including myself) have total meltdowns on a tour when something in the little bubble wasn't entirely perfect and they just happened to be on the wrong end of 3 hours sleep and a 14 hour drive. Inflicting that environment on kids, and therefore everybody else in the van, for weeks at a time is just wild.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

darkwasthenight posted:

Traveling with kids: I met a band this week who were touring with a toddler and a 6 year old in the van as the main artists were a married couple.

That is absolutely insane behaviour. I have seen fully-grown adults (including myself) have total meltdowns on a tour when something in the little bubble wasn't entirely perfect and they just happened to be on the wrong end of 3 hours sleep and a 14 hour drive. Inflicting that environment on kids, and therefore everybody else in the van, for weeks at a time is just wild.

Counterpoint: those kids are probably cool as hell

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my daughter to stop talking about her stepmother and I on the internet?

From comments:

quote:

I found the writings because a family friend sent them to me. He recognized a story she told about how my wife refused to allow her to buy feminine hygiene products and wanted her to come home and get them instead, so she could save her job money for college. He emailed my wife and I with all the links. So yes, people close to us can identify us from the writings.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Sounds like your wife sucks loving poo poo and your daughter should be allowed to talk about that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

Sometimes things just vibe and kids do well in weird environments, especially if there's consistency. But an international flight, or any flight really, is not going to be a regular thing for almost any kid. And if somehow you were taking a toddler on a long flight every week there are probably some of them who would love it and throw a tantrum if they had to stay home.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for buying airline tickets that saved us 200 dollars a ticket, but had a 21 hour layover and 2 legs?

quote:

GF and I are flying from Detroit to Los Angeles. I could get tickets for 350 each roundtrip with a 2 hour layover in dallas for a total trip time of 8 hours. Also available was a combination of spirit and frontier for 150 each, but the catch was we had a 21 hour layover in Dallas which made the total trip time 26 hours. I bought the cheaper tickets since things are financialy tight. I didn't consult with my GF as she put me in charge of doing this. I told her my decision and my GF is outraged. I told her we would just have to suck up the layover time as i already bought the non refundable tickets. She is really angry and not speaking with me. AITA?

And don't worry about any unnecessary hotel expenses eating up the cost savings

OP posted:

i was just planning on us hanging out at the airport for the layover.

:killing:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm the kind of person to choose to spend an overnight in an airport, and I've done it. But I'm a total weirdo and don't recommend it to anyone even remotely normal. I'd also never make anyone join me in this, I know better.

And if it's more than 12 hours, I'll be getting a drat hotel or hostel room. Even that's beyond my limit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Direct flights are one of those things really, really worth paying for most of the time. But if you just can't avoid a long layover, a city that stays open overnight is the best choice. Dallas is not a good choice.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I like how he doesn't even deny all the trauma stuff, just says that she exaggerated "some" things and that he is recognizable in her writings due to the things he did do. loving yikes. Hopefully she's just going full on NC again after this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Eight or ten hours is the longest I've stayed at an airport, and I thought it was absolute hell with flights on either side of it. Even leaving and going to a hotel adds extra stress from having to deal with the whole security circus another time around. I'd be pissed as hell if someone changed an easily doable trip into that on me for any reason other than it was literally the only thing affordable.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Massive layovers are a pretty common thing for long international flights out of Australia. You build this into your trip or expect to pay a lot more money and either go into the city your layover is at or pick a nice airport like Singapore and hang out with the butterflies. If you can get the right promotion some of the Arab states will give you a free hotel for the day with a long layover too.

The idea of having a massive layover on a domestic flight is insane.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA if I (f39) insisted or expected my Dad (m65) to shorten his holiday to attend my wedding/birthday?

quote:

Like many people I dreamed of a wedding day my whole life. Four years ago I made a vague declaration that if I wasn’t married by 40yrs old, I’d throw a wedding for my birthday, and I set up a FB event for it. In Feb next year that’s exactly what I’m doing, for my 40th. It will have everything a wedding has aside from a groom/partner to marry and as far as I’m concerned, to me, this is my wedding day. It’s my one and only wedding day and it’s the most important celebration I’m ever going to have. (l won’t ever marry a person just trust me on this)

Originally I had set the date on a FB event for March (better weather) but at crunch time last month I set the day for 17th Feb (close to my actual birthday) because the venue I wanted was available

I found out today, during general chit chat with my step mum, that she and my Dad are going away on holiday for two months 24th Dec - 23rd Feb so they won’t attend my wedding day. She was really unapologetic, like she was just saying she’d be missing a Sunday dinner. Totally blaisè about it - even saying she was missing other family birthdays as well (pretty sure no one else is marrying themselves or having a milestone birthday). She said simply “it is what it is” and “we can’t change our plans now”. My Dad was equally as oh-well-nevermind about it.

I feel like although I see how it’s ended up happening where these events have been overlapped in booking, my feeling is that my Dad is now choosing to miss my wedding day. Like, he could come back a week early. They’d let him change a flight I’m surek. He could go away for 7 weeks instead of 8. He’s acting like it’s no big deal and that they “can’t” change plans and it’s my fault anyway for changing the time (I honestly think they forgot about a 4 yr old fb event anyway)

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sometimes things just vibe and kids do well in weird environments, especially if there's consistency. But an international flight, or any flight really, is not going to be a regular thing for almost any kid. And if somehow you were taking a toddler on a long flight every week there are probably some of them who would love it and throw a tantrum if they had to stay home.

I have been on tours with kids that were seemingly having a ball but those were significantly higher budget and involved creches, nannies, and seperate buses to create that consistency. Eight of you piling into the back of a splitter for weeks is potentially rough times. They seemed like sweet people but vibes were not overall positive.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

WIBTA if I (f39) insisted or expected my Dad (m65) to shorten his holiday to attend my wedding/birthday?

how delightfully unhinged. you go, girl!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for buying airline tickets that saved us 200 dollars a ticket, but had a 21 hour layover and 2 legs?

And don't worry about any unnecessary hotel expenses eating up the cost savings

:killing:

I mean $400 savings is not a laughable amount of savings, that is a lot of money at the cost of 13 hours of your and your girlfriend's time. $400 divided by a total of 26 hours is $15.38 saved per hour of your time. More than minimum wage which for all we know they could be making.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Cut to everyone involved suddenly having inconvenient plans that they wish they could change, but it'd be really tough at this point

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Addmitedly, I've done some stopover domestic flights to save money, but it was a huge price difference with a 2 hour layover in a really nice airport. Like a flight from Calgary to Vancouver then to Comox would be $150 while direct to Comox was over $400. Which is an additional 20 minutes of flight time. It's obscene. Screw that, I'm stopping at YVR.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I recently travelled internationally for the first time in almost 30 years, and had a five-hour stopover in Singapore. It was 10000% worth it for the butterflies and train between terminals, and it cost about 1/3 of a direct flight. Unfortunately, both going there and back, I was near screaming children which really did my head in and stopped me from sleeping.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'll add a layover by going to my local airport instead of Atlanta. Because my local airport has like 50 people at a time in it max and it takes about 2 minutes to go through security procedures.

That will basically give me a layover to anywhere through Atlanta

Or I can drive to Atlanta, find parking at the airport (difficult), wait in a cramped and snaking line for an hour and a half. For me it's honestly worth the extra time and money to have a relaxing arrival and departure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I mean $400 savings is not a laughable amount of savings, that is a lot of money at the cost of 13 hours of your and your girlfriend's time. $400 divided by a total of 26 hours is $15.38 saved per hour of your time. More than minimum wage which for all we know they could be making.
If they're working minimum wage, that is an entire extra day off work, since they don't get paid vacation time. So make that a net deficit of 7 hours, or 107.66 per person.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Some great additional info in the comments.

What's the longest layover he's ever done?

quote:

I rarely fly so probably 1-2 hours

How long is the overall trip?

quote:

It is our vacation... we have 5 days off and want to go to california.

:lol: at this genius who's never survived a layover longer than 90 minutes suddenly choosing to waste 40% of their entire vacation in the airport to save a couple hundred bucks.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

He's gonna get his jet-lagged rear end dumped

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

Some great additional info in the comments.

What's the longest layover he's ever done?

How long is the overall trip?

:lol: at this genius who's never survived a layover longer than 90 minutes suddenly choosing to waste 40% of their entire vacation in the airport to save a couple hundred bucks.

Lol, I hadn't seen that update. And it's not just the extra travel time, that's like another whole day spent recovering from spending so much time sitting around in a public space without a break. :rip: that trip and possibly that relationship

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait I've got a save for the trip and the relationship. Find a cheap flight from Dallas to somewhere that has a layover in Detroit.

When you get to Dallas instead of waiting and going to California, just leave. Have a week vacation in Austin. Then fly back to Detroit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wait I've got a save for the trip and the relationship. Find a cheap flight from Dallas to somewhere that has a layover in Detroit.

When you get to Dallas instead of waiting and going to California, just leave. Have a week vacation in Austin. Then fly back to Detroit.

If you skip a leg of a trip the airline might cancel your return tickets.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you skip a leg of a trip the airline might cancel your return tickets.

And then they have to give have your money back, I'm a genious

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

And then they have to give have your money back, I'm a genious

But then you're just stuck in Texas.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I had a 24-hour layover in the Denver airport. About 6 years ago. I still think about it with dread sometimes, like I think about bad panic attacks I have had.

The rest of the trip was fine, but spending 24 hours in the Denver airport, any airport, is not something I will do ever again by choice.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Evil Willow posted:

lmao wtf

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

don longjohns posted:

I had a 24-hour layover in the Denver airport. About 6 years ago. I still think about it with dread sometimes, like I think about bad panic attacks I have had.

The rest of the trip was fine, but spending 24 hours in the Denver airport, any airport, is not something I will do ever again by choice.

Why did you sit at the airport instead of going to a cheap motel or something?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

don longjohns posted:

was there a reason you didn't leave the airport?

longest layover I had was in Dubai airport for about 12 hours and it wasn't that bad. found somewhere to have a nap, then had a bizarre middle eastern variation of a Full English breakfast and a ridiculously overpriced beer.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Eight or ten hours is the longest I've stayed at an airport, and I thought it was absolute hell with flights on either side of it. Even leaving and going to a hotel adds extra stress from having to deal with the whole security circus another time around. I'd be pissed as hell if someone changed an easily doable trip into that on me for any reason other than it was literally the only thing affordable.

I was flying home from a work trip and the airline offered money to take a later flight. It was honestly a pretty good chunk of money, and since it was a direct flight home, all that would happen is I'd get home 9 hours later. I had a book and a steamdeck to amuse myself, and I just go up and wandered around at times, but after 7 hours or so, I was bored out of my goddamn mind and wanted out.