Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hypnophant posted:

I'm not surprised per se that it's taken so long for windows on arm to get going, but only because windows is such a poo poo product with no strategy. your chief competitor in the laptop market comes out with a product that devours your loving lunch and it takes you five years to react. clownshow

MS signed away platform exclusivity on ARM to Qualcomm in ~2016, and it doesn’t expire until 2025. Qualcomm dropped a billion and change literally just to acquire a double digit number of Apple Silicon’s defecting best and brightest with the Nuvia deal and have clearly been working at a breakneck speed to get the first resulting products of that acquisition to market before the agreement runs out.

The fact that they intend to have these ‘two generations behind, competitive with M2’ chips enter the market in 2024 is actually seriously impressive for them given how much lead time there usually is in getting a new CPU+GPU from the design stage to manufacture.

The mistakes that were made here were 1) Microsoft never should’ve signed that exclusivity deal, but also the industry in 2016 was very different from where it is today. And the ideas around bringing ARM to the space held by X86 were very different. 2) Microsoft and Google/Android makers should’ve pushed to reach and maintain hardware parity with the Apple A-Series instead of allowing non-Apple ARM for mobile to slip like it did.

Both of these are very much “hindsight is 20/20”-type things to be regretful over. The reality is that Apple executed a really effective and surprising (at the time) long-term strategy, one that took over a decade to fully materialize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm a bit miffed that Diablo 4 never made it to MacOS.

I'm mad as hell that after 10 years of CS: GO working well on Mac OS they nuked it and it no longer runs at all.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm mad as hell that after 10 years of CS: GO working well on Mac OS they nuked it and it no longer runs at all.

Yeah, this is one of the biggest, most blatant “gently caress you”’s possible, and I’m not even sure why?

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm a bit miffed that Diablo 4 never made it to MacOS.

Me too, along with all the Blizzard games that they’re not bringing to macOS but have no good reason why.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

it looks like they scrapped the Apple Silicon version of CS:GO 2 relatively late in the process

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

The mistakes that were made here were 1) Microsoft never should’ve signed that exclusivity deal, but also the industry in 2016 was very different from where it is today. And the ideas around bringing ARM to the space held by X86 were very different. 2) Microsoft and Google/Android makers should’ve pushed to reach and maintain hardware parity with the Apple A-Series instead of allowing non-Apple ARM for mobile to slip like it did.

Agree these were mistakes, but they're the kind of mistakes that reveal more than excuse. They signed an exclusivity deal with a company that, way back in 2016, was not making competitive products, and it's still hamstringing them eight years later. Also, they (and google) hosed up the smartphone/tablet/ARM laptop evolution that Apple pulled off so well. There is/was a long-term vision there, on the part of both google and microsoft, but it's one that is deeply unappealing to consumers and failed in the marketplace, and neither company managed to figure out why or what to do about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hasturtium posted:

What’s the verdict on Metro Exodus’s performance on Apple Silicon? IIRC it runs as a Rosetta app, but I’m wondering what the odds are that I could run it on a base M2 Max Studio around 1440p.

I don't recall offhand, but Mrmacright and/or Andrew Tsai on YouTube both regularly feature it when new Apple Silicon Macs come out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Digital foundry just did a video on Resident Evil on the iPhone vs M1 vs Steam deck

https://youtu.be/lseDQie5oRU?si=uVcAnEEt2rRNXevn

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MarcusSA posted:

Digital foundry just did a video on Resident Evil on the iPhone vs M1 vs Steam deck

https://youtu.be/lseDQie5oRU?si=uVcAnEEt2rRNXevn

Mrmacright also has a review for the phone and the m1/m2 ipads.

Tl;dr - if you want 60 fps, get an m2, or wait for an m3

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hypnophant posted:

Agree these were mistakes, but they're the kind of mistakes that reveal more than excuse. They signed an exclusivity deal with a company that, way back in 2016, was not making competitive products, and it's still hamstringing them eight years later. Also, they (and google) hosed up the smartphone/tablet/ARM laptop evolution that Apple pulled off so well. There is/was a long-term vision there, on the part of both google and microsoft, but it's one that is deeply unappealing to consumers and failed in the marketplace, and neither company managed to figure out why or what to do about it.

I mean, if you really want to go back, Microsoft should’ve stuck it out on Mobile and on HoloLens. They also should’ve taken on more chip design in-house and been more willing to hurt their relationship with Intel (where’s Intel gonna go?) in order to strongly push for a full ARM transition rather than the furtive/abortive/chickenshit/two-tier thing they did. They should’ve invested more in Surface and probably been more willing to lose money over the short-to-medium term building a strong in-house competitor to Apple’s hardware. This would’ve continued to bother partner integrators though.

On the flipside, letting Apple take the lead on ARM-for-desktop may have worked out in Microsoft’s favor given the hand they had to play with and the way that the Windows computer industry works. They can much more easily direct the rest of the PC industry at an actual competitor and stake more forceful positions instead of pointing at a notion of “what the future could be” and then politely asking Intel/AMD/Dell/Lenovo/Qualcomm/etc to strongly think about moving in that direction.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So Apple has M2 Ultra memory bandwidth as being double M2 Max but this is a lie right? No single process/core can have more memory bandwidth than what's on the 'Max' configuration right?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

That was true for M1 Ultra, but my (ignorant) understanding is that Apple made some changes with M2 Ultra, including adding a memory controller?, that helps to balance the CPU and GPU cores, so I think it can come close to hitting its memory bandwidth.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

So Apple has M2 Ultra memory bandwidth as being double M2 Max but this is a lie right? No single process/core can have more memory bandwidth than what's on the 'Max' configuration right?

Memory bandwidth is always measured as a sum across the system, right? It absolutely has twice the memory bandwidth, it has twice the memory controller and they scale linearly. You can see it via CFD: http://hrtapps.com/blogs/20220427/

On the Pro and Max chips you already can't have 1 single core use all that memory bandwidth, and to use all of it you end up having to use the GPU usually. It takes all the cores to get close to saturating the memory bandwidth.

Here's a more detailed look: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17024/apple-m1-max-performance-review/2

CPUs in general will not be able to saturate it. You'll need the GPU if you actually want to use it all:

quote:

From a single core perspective, meaning from a single software thread, things are quite impressive for the chip, as it’s able to stress the memory fabric to up to 102GB/s. This is extremely impressive and outperforms any other design in the industry by multiple factors, we had already noted that the M1 chip was able to fully saturate its memory bandwidth with a single core and that the bottleneck had been on the DRAM itself. On the M1 Max, it seems that we’re hitting the limit of what a core can do – or more precisely, a limit to what the CPU cluster can do.

The little hump between 12MB and 64MB should be the SLC of 48MB in size, the reduction in BW at the 12MB figure signals that the core is somehow limited in bandwidth when evicting cache lines back to the upper memory system. Our test here consists of reading, modifying, and writing back cache lines, with a 1:1 R/W ratio.

Going from 1 core/threads to 2, what the system is actually doing is spreading the workload across the two performance clusters of the SoC, so both threads are on their own cluster and have full access to the 12MB of L2. The “hump” after 12MB reduces in size, ending earlier now at +24MB, which makes sense as the 48MB SLC is now shared amongst two cores. Bandwidth here increases to 186GB/s.

Adding a third thread there’s a bit of an imbalance across the clusters, DRAM bandwidth goes to 204GB/s, but a fourth thread lands us at 224GB/s and this appears to be the limit on the SoC fabric that the CPUs are able to achieve, as adding additional cores and threads beyond this point does not increase the bandwidth to DRAM at all. It’s only when the E-cores, which are in their own cluster, are added in, when the bandwidth is able to jump up again, to a maximum of 243GB/s.

While 243GB/s is massive, and overshadows any other design in the industry, it’s still quite far from the 409GB/s the chip is capable of. More importantly for the M1 Max, it’s only slightly higher than the 204GB/s limit of the M1 Pro, so from a CPU-only workload perspective, it doesn’t appear to make sense to get the Max if one is focused just on CPU bandwidth.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe memory bandwidth should be spec’d as per core along with aggregate.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Maybe memory bandwidth should be spec’d as per core along with aggregate.

Sure, but it's an industry-wide thing, if you need big bandwidth you're going to have to use lots of cores or some other kind of accelerator.

Look at Sapphire Rapids bandwidth, currently Intel's latest greatest server platform:

You get less than 25GB/s bandwidth out of a single core in an eight channel DDR5 system. AMD doesn't have much better bandwidth out of Genoa either, which has 12 memory channels and 460 GB/s total per-socket memory bandwidth.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody get or see the new color in person? First world I know but I might eventually end up with two ARM MBPs (one work-issued and managed) so thinking about getting the personal one in space black for easy differentiation.

Yeast posted:

Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of diagnosing this, every few days my Mac will suddenly grind to a total halt, windows become very slow to respond, moving between apps is next to impossible, and the system seems to be pushing a sisyphean rock up a hill for 6 minutes. Then suddenly stops as if nothing had happened.

It's really hard to track down because Activity monitor doesn't record it, and iStat simply says Kernel Task.

Any ideas?

Do you have Mcafee or anything like that on there?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Small White Dragon posted:

Anybody get or see the new color in person?

i bought one on launch day. it looks sick

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I got a space black 14”. It looks great, like a color they’d make the computers in a AAA scifi movie or something.

The charger cable is black, which I didn’t expect, but the brick is white. Mildly disappointing but I almost always charge by docking anyway.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Yesterday I was working with a few huge data files and had parallels open and was having a Google Meets call with someone and my M2 Air was struggling and I realized a new Pro could probably handle all that stuff easily.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You sure about that?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do the latest Macs, iPhones and iPads with high refresh rate screens support variable refresh in some Apple specific way? Is it any better or worse than free sync/g-sync etc.?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Do the latest Macs, iPhones and iPads with high refresh rate screens support variable refresh in some Apple specific way? Is it any better or worse than free sync/g-sync etc.?

Promotion and not sure about the last part.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ProMotion is the worst goddamn brand name to try to google information about.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Well this is annoying. I got my M3 MBP on Tuesday and ran the Migration Assistant against my M1 Studio, but somehow my desktop and Documents folder did not copy over completely. The icons are there, but trying to open one gives an error saying it can't be found. I also cannot modify the folders (moving, deleting, add new items) with error code -43, "One or items cannot be found."

Doing an `ls -l ~/Desktop` shows that the items are indeed there with non-zero file sizes. I take it I'm just stuck having to run Migration Assistant again and hope for the best? (eta: I can modify Desktop from the terminal)

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 9, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Well this is annoying. I got my M3 MBP on Tuesday and ran the Migration Assistant against my M1 Studio, but somehow my desktop and Documents folder did not copy over completely. The icons are there, but trying to open one gives an error saying it can't be found. I also cannot modify the folders (moving, deleting, add new items) with error code -43, "One or items cannot be found."

Doing an `ls -l ~/Desktop` shows that the items are indeed there with non-zero file sizes. I take it I'm just stuck having to run Migration Assistant again and hope for the best? (eta: I can modify Desktop from the terminal)

Just use iCloud?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I think an iCloud fuckup was the problem. I toggled it and things are slowly being added back.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it sounds like some items were offloaded to iCloud and thus didn’t move along with migration assistant, but usually those sync back from iCloud pretty quickly.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shaocaholica posted:

The Macs at least have for a while. This is on an M1 Pro MacBook Pro connected to a 144Hz screen using a HDMI->USB-C cable through a Thunderbolt 3 Dock:

The screen I have supports both FreeSync and G-Sync and I don't know which one macOS is using since the Monitor's OSD just says 'Adaptive Sync: On' when I enable VRR.

Something to note is that my TB3 dock struggles with enough bandwidth to have both monitors on variable so I have them set to 120Hz instead but variable works as expected if I only connect one of them. I suspect you'll have more luck with newer Macs plugged into a Thunderbolt 4 dock.

I can't find any info on whether the newer iPad Pros support high refresh screens but they're the only ones that will do external displays that aren't mirroring (requires M-series and uses Stage Manager).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mercurius posted:

The Macs at least have for a while. This is on an M1 Pro MacBook Pro connected to a 144Hz screen using a HDMI->USB-C cable through a Thunderbolt 3 Dock:

The screen I have supports both FreeSync and G-Sync and I don't know which one macOS is using since the Monitor's OSD just says 'Adaptive Sync: On' when I enable VRR.

Something to note is that my TB3 dock struggles with enough bandwidth to have both monitors on variable so I have them set to 120Hz instead but variable works as expected if I only connect one of them. I suspect you'll have more luck with newer Macs plugged into a Thunderbolt 4 dock.

I can't find any info on whether the newer iPad Pros support high refresh screens but they're the only ones that will do external displays that aren't mirroring (requires M-series and uses Stage Manager).

Thanks. What I actually meant was the Apple built in screens but the external case is interesting too!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Mercurius posted:

I have my M1P on a monitor that supports only G-Sync and adaptive sync doesn't show up as an option, so I think it's safe to say that only FreeSync is supported.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Yep pro motion is an adaptive standard I think between 1hz-120hz. It's how they justify the always on display only being available on the phone (because they can slow the refresh rate right down). Also lots of apps just dont support it so bounce down to 60.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hikaki posted:

I have my M1P on a monitor that supports only G-Sync and adaptive sync doesn't show up as an option, so I think it's safe to say that only FreeSync is supported.

Regular G-Sync branded monitors used an FPGA to drive variable refresh control, this and Freesync Premium both use hardware to control refresh rate.

G-Sync Compatible branded monitors uses a similar implementation to Freesync, just with a certification.

I think G-Sync Ultimate and Freesync Premium Pro have some HDR things on top of the hardware based thing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
M3 trip report: So I know this isn't exactly a high bar to clear in tyool 2023 but No Man's Sky maxed out at 60+ FPS feels on a screen right up to my face without it even running the fan so drat good.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Friend got his M3BP on Tuesday and can't shut the gently caress up about how impressive the battery life is.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Yeast posted:

Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of diagnosing this, every few days my Mac will suddenly grind to a total halt, windows become very slow to respond, moving between apps is next to impossible, and the system seems to be pushing a sisyphean rock up a hill for 6 minutes. Then suddenly stops as if nothing had happened.

It's really hard to track down because Activity monitor doesn't record it, and iStat simply says Kernel Task.

Any ideas?

Laptop I take it?

This sometimes is what happens when the Mac loses a temperature sensor. Watch istat menus for a missing temperature reading next time it happens (compare with a screenshot). Likely one will be reading 0 or 255 or something obviously wrong. If a Mac can't tell how hot it is, it throttles it's own performance like crazy. Or u got bug or dying HD or something.

The fix is cleaning whichever sensor is reporting bad. Cleaning in this case seldom means opening it up and de-dusting it, but sometimes it does. Do you live in the south US or any other humid places?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BUUNNI posted:

Yesterday I was working with a few huge data files and had parallels open and was having a Google Meets call with someone and my M2 Air was struggling and I realized a new Pro could probably handle all that stuff easily.

Probably should've bought more RAM ;)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I take a friend to a physical Apple Store can he get me a student discount with his student ID? I don't know if the Mac is automatically registered to the student at the store.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mu Zeta posted:

If I take a friend to a physical Apple Store can he get me a student discount with his student ID? I don't know if the Mac is automatically registered to the student at the store.

You sure can

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Awesome, except I found out the back to school deals are over so I'll probably wait on a purchase.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

steve-o showed up to a mac store with wozniak and they used woz’s apple employee number (1) to get steve-o a computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This may be a somewhat silly question, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. I'm starting a new job as a software developer next year, and the question of hardware came up. So far I only ever worked on Linux (and rarely Windows), but the new boss suggested I may wanna look into getting a Mac because the rest of the company uses them as well.

I've never used anything Apple before but I figure I might as well give it a try, doubly so since I'm not paying for it. So now I'm just asking if there's anything in particular to look out for, any specific models to pick or avoid, or if I can just pick any old MacBook with decent specs and roll with that. Mostly I'd be doing stuff like coding in Python and JavaScript, as well as various maintenance stuff like accessing databases or ssh'ing places via the console.