Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Tarnop posted:

Bulldoze their houses and build a landfill

This includes the low-amenity Khryuschyovkas on an 8-lane road overlooking nothing but a commercial harbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
That reminds of me of when you had high crime in Sim City 4, when you zoomed in you heard gunshots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

I'm sure I'm late to linking this and I just missed it in the thread, but from what I gathered reading this the core of a lot of the issues seem to be Unity specific engine architectural issues that would not be so simple to fix, even with time and money

https://blog.paavo.me/cities-skylines-2-performance/#engine-and-architecture

That's a fascinating read, particularly with the speculation of them working on the assumption that certain unity technologies would become production-ready that ultimately didn't mature enough and so they had to scramble to paper over.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mandoric posted:

I have the opposite problem, everyone and every company is horrifically wealthy and therefore everything is stuck in molasses because land values are so high that no one will move in to work the 15/20 empty slots at the several hundred level 4 gas stations.
Have you tried getting rid of some services? The internet is overrated and you don’t need a hospital if you’ve got a crematorium!

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
Presented without comment:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok so maybe keep the fire station.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ostrava posted:

Well I'd sure like a comment on why there's 34 hearses for 33 people.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
33 hearse and one late fire truck.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ostrava posted:

33 hearse and one late fire truck.

:(

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Memory is fuzzy, but I sort of remember this same RCI discussion happening when people were trying to make sense of the game behavior in the first game.

Does that “idling” work? GeForce Now seems to boot me after a few minutes (the internet tells me 8) if I don’t press a key. But I’m away from the computer, not doing something else on it.

Yeah, seems to not idle out if I'm watching streams on the second monitor so that's handy. I check in on it occasionally but definitely not more than consistently 8 minutes.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 10, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ostrava posted:

Jesus, that is actually grim, reminds me uncomfortably of Grenfell

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They call that a Mourner's Dozen.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

explosivo posted:

It's a bit nuts how many elementary schools I need to satisfy everyone. I think I have 6? now? and every one of them is running at max capacity even when restricting them to certain districts. There's a few parts of the city where I have two elementary schools like a block from each other.

Also I've been watching Sips play this off and on since it came out and I have no idea how he got into a situation where his city has 50k pop but $400,000,000 in the bank and there's no demand for high density at all nor any jobs for uneducated. I'm cruising towards 80k now and it's not been too tough staying on top of unemployment but I have nowhere near that much money saved up.

I pulled a bunch of stats from my current save game, if you want to compare and see where income/expenses differ. I'm not doing $400 million in the bank well, but I'm getting more money than I really know what to do with it. I've put all the services sliders to 150%. If you haven't fiddled with taxes and making it a progressive tax system (and yeah it's weird taxing highly educated people more, but that's how the income stuff works in the game), or cutting services that don't seem to be necessary, then you could try that.

Doesn't include any incinerators or garbage processing, since this was all made before the patch that fixed those.

Another thing to potentially try is building a big efficient power station and selling the surplus to neighbours. I have a single gas plant that's more than I need, but I think you reap financial benefit from that.

https://imgur.com/a/IERCVcy

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
After I patched, I have these swarms of garbage trucks coming out of each recycling plant, lol.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is that the skybox clipping through your river?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

After I patched, I have these swarms of garbage trucks coming out of each recycling plant, lol.

I don't think any of this works.

Game has now run at 3x speed for like half an hour and garbage still everywhere.
Look at the horde of trucks and the number of plants operating.

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...

Vahakyla posted:

I don't think any of this works.

Game has now run at 3x speed for like half an hour and garbage still everywhere.
Look at the horde of trucks and the number of plants operating.

The patch notes say existing notifications won't go away until the building is rebuilt with a new one. New buildings created after the patch won't have the problem.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

some great evil at work here

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Saw a visual guide on the 'ol reddit showing how to avoid common node issues on roads

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17s9dt2/example_segment_issues_recommended_to_avoid_at/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gotta be honest I don't know what the issue is supposed to be in most of those.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

Gotta be honest I don't know what the issue is supposed to be in most of those.

Cars tend to make weird driving decisions at short segment roads like coming to a complete stop to lane change or choosing the end of the segment to U turn etc. It can lead to situations where a car is 100% stuck and unable to make a decision and jams the road until it despawns.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes, part of the problem seems to be that cars often wait until the last possible second to switch lanes. This may have been addressed in the last patch.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AFAIK nodes are the actual navigation points for the pathfinding algorithm. the AI isn't thinking that it needs to take X and Y streets to get to Z, it thinks that it needs to drive to node A, merge into the left lane so it can turn left at node B, then merge into the right lane so it can park at Z. the problem is that people are making roads where they're stacking nodes on top of each other so cars will get to node A, where it needs to merge left to get to B, but B is 5 inches in front of A so it comes to a dead stop and makes two 90 degree turns. lovely road layouts that would have problems anyways doesn't help

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes, part of the problem seems to be that cars often wait until the last possible second to switch lanes.

Just like real life.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just like real life.

It is pretty funny seeing that criticism by people, bugs or no bugs, its realistic!

Like for this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17s3td5/what_exactly_did_they_fix_in_terms_of/ , the only unrealistic thing about this is that they aren't just blowing across the solid line, or even better: the shoulder you're not supposed to drive on, and that everyone waits patiently for them.

Or this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17qnoov/spend_all_this_time_making_pedestrian_bridges_and/ , where they're mad that pedestrians are simply jaywalking this small street instead of spending an extra 10 minutes going across this overpass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Having some people drive like idiots is fine and good but it is happening waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. I was watching Biffa's traffic test video and people are doing u-turns in the middle of the road every couple of seconds, among other nonsense.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Someone asked about connections to other cities. I'm playing the preorder "Tamepre" map. The map kind of had connections already... so I didn't have to do much. Pretty easy that way :v:

Is there any way to adjust wind?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Grand Fromage posted:

Having some people drive like idiots is fine and good but it is happening waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. I was watching Biffa's traffic test video and people are doing u-turns in the middle of the road every couple of seconds, among other nonsense.

the traffic on my highway is so bad that people get off the freeway, u turn regardless of whether i outlaw it or not, and get right back on the freeway. too realistic.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Problem: There's a 50 mile tailback on the 3 lane freeway for 100% of the traffic trying to get into the city that has a single (1) 5 lane entrance road into a huge well-working roundabout that sends them off in 3 directions on 4 lane w/turning lane boulevards of which most of the downtown/entrance area are

Solution: Add a 1 lane exit 30 squares away from the industry/city center

New Problem: Now there's a 75 mile tailback on the freeway for 100% of the traffic trying to merge down from a 3 lane freeway to get into the city via a 1 lane exit that leaves them on a winding two lane country road out in the garbage & sewage outskirts. Grass is now growing in the cracks of the main boulevards

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Problem: There's a 50 mile tailback on the 3 lane freeway for 100% of the traffic trying to get into the city that has a single (1) 5 lane entrance road into a huge well-working roundabout that sends them off in 3 directions on 4 lane w/turning lane boulevards of which most of the downtown/entrance area are

Solution: Add a 1 lane exit 30 squares away from the industry/city center

New Problem: Now there's a 75 mile tailback on the freeway for 100% of the traffic trying to merge down from a 3 lane freeway to get into the city via a 1 lane exit that leaves them on a winding two lane country road out in the garbage & sewage outskirts. Grass is now growing in the cracks of the main boulevards

I love the traffic sim because it lets me make the exact same mistakes as city planners in america for forever. “Man if I could just add a freeway right into the urban center it would be alleviate so much traffic. Oh no why didn’t it work….”

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I finally got around to starting this game after letting things settle a bit with patches. Found lots of interesting bugs lol

- elevated road networks seem to collide with HV power lines when you try to build across their path. causes weird spaghetti bendy roads

- bought some tiles on the edge of the map to build a stone quarry. noticed that people were apparently taking taxis to work there so I built a bus line. now apparently everyone from out of town in that direction makes a beeline for that bus stop because it's the closest bus stop to their corner of the map?? there's now a 5 mile long line of taxis slowly dropping people off at the quarry bus stop

- tried to build a pedestrian focused city and was pleasantly surprised that you could run bus lines on the pedestrian mall. not so pleasantly surprised that it seems like bus stop "direction" on pedestrian malls seemed random and that adding tram tracks to the mall caused the stop to flip direction without warning, completely scrambling my routes. the tram malls are nice

definitely needs more time in development but I'm looking forward to a future where I can ban cars and have mid-density mixed use :stoked:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 11, 2023

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I feel like the patch definitely broke mail. I have solid green mailbox coverage, post offices all over, two sorting facilities, nothing in the red regarding the mail. And a -14 malus on some of my high density residential buildings for poor mail service.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It may be mere coincidence but I didn't have a single crash before the patch, but now... :saddowns:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Been spending many nights getting lost in just drawing my little cities, working out little details.

For all the games flaws and janky bits (many reminiscent of C:S1), it's still engrossing, and I'm warming up to it despite it's flaws. Once the mod workshop and assets come through, I think it's going to be a classic.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 11, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Despite the game being clearly unfinished I'm finding myself desiring to buy it. I won't yet but once more bugs are patched and mods get released I'll probably go for it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Despite the game being clearly unfinished I'm finding myself desiring to buy it. I won't yet but once more bugs are patched and mods get released I'll probably go for it.

You can go to https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-cities-skylines-2-cd-key-compare-prices/ and select Eneba for example. Use AKS8 coupon as instructed. Same gaming4life sller has also the preorder goods for 23 cents: https://www.eneba.com/steam-cities-skylines-2-pre-order-bonus-dlc-pc-steam-key-global

That is, if the price feels too high.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Isn't that basically a site that fences keys bought with stolen credit cards, or am I confusing it with something else

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Isn't that basically a site that fences keys bought with stolen credit cards, or am I confusing it with something else

That’s probably all the non-official sites. How they can operate for years with the same business model is still a mystery. Also I’ve never heard people having problems with Eneba though. If they were illegal, why won’t they get disabled later by Steam, for example?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't imagine Steam would give a poo poo since they were paid full retail. I mean they could but there's no cold bloodedly rational reason for them to go to any trouble over it. I guess it's possible if they get chargebacks from the credit card company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

gamepass is also a good option to play for cheap