Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Never, ever watch the next episode previews. However, sometimes the episode continues through the credits, so don't just reflexively skip, either.

LotGH truly is a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
there’s also the occasional moment where the episode starts during the opening credits, with the title getting in the way

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Question of the week

There are two episodes going over the History of the World

The stories are fascinating but it’s hard for me to figure out what relevance they have other than the sections about Rudolph Goldenbaum and Ale Heinessen. Is there any nugget of insight to be gained from learning about the history of space exploration and space pirates?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Only the shows whole thesis

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Question of the week

There are two episodes going over the History of the World

The stories are fascinating but it’s hard for me to figure out what relevance they have other than the sections about Rudolph Goldenbaum and Ale Heinessen. Is there any nugget of insight to be gained from learning about the history of space exploration and space pirates?

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok, duh, seems obvious now

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

its that history is cool and background knowledge is power!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Amazon had DNT season 3 for I think 28 bucks this morning, it's the cheapest price for it since the release.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is stupid but charming: Fate/Grand Order (a mobile game with visual novel segments) is having a Halloween event where the characters dress up in costumes, and one of the outfits is:

quote:

Ozymandias: My domain spreads everywhere the light touches. Just you watch... I shall possess it all! ...Are you sure that's what I'm supposed to say?
Arash: You're doing great, pharaoh guy. I mean, Your Majesty.
Ozymandias:I see. These masquerade balls are a rather tedious affair... No matter.
Arash: You've gotta admit, they're a nice change of pace!
Ozymandias: And I can't say the idea of spacefaring golden wings displeases me. Heh. Bring me my goblet! I shall permit the masses to join me in a toast to our glorious victory!
Nitocris: Yes, Pharaoh Ozymandias! You are far too kind!
Ozymandias: I am the Space Emperor!
Nitocris: Long live Space Emperor Ozymandias!
Mash: Ooh, those must be sci-fi costumes, Senpai!

And if you're lucky enough to get the equippable version of that art, it's not a bad effect - "Increase NP Strength by 20% & NP Gain by 5% for yourself"

Thanks, Golden Wings!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
for those watching die neue these how has it been? I've been thinking of rewatching the series. someone once said it's a series you could finish then rewatch from the start and see all the pieces fall into place. it's just so good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

for those watching die neue these how has it been? I've been thinking of rewatching the series. someone once said it's a series you could finish then rewatch from the start and see all the pieces fall into place. it's just so good

I like it a lot. It's pretty, sounds nice, and works well as it's own thing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah if you’ve watched the ova no reason not to take a crack at die nueue.

I hate the character designs, the ost, the alliance ship designs, but the ops bang and it’s the same story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's some stuff that wasn't in the OVA (I assume it was in the books but cut) that I've enjoyed. Significantly more context around Fezzan and the Emperor's "defection" for example.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I haven't watched the 3rd or 4th season (I want to wait for more to come out and plow through) but the first two seasons are good. My only real complaint would the be the character designs feeling too samey. But they could be my brain trying to attach the original series looks to the new show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I found stuff looked more samey in the original show. But I also have no nostagia for it as I did not watch any of it until after watching some of Die Neue These

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

catching up on die neue these n tearing up a bit, they really did manage to modernize the show overall. We even got Dusty, that ol scamp. Amritsar is shaping up to be one hell of a scrap

e. i'd never really picked up how Yang only became an alcoholic after the slaughter at Isolorn 1, dude absolutely hates his job :smith:

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 21, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Funny, I happen to be doing a rewatch of the original and just today I watched the episode where Yang orders the Thor Hammer to kill thousands of people (millions?)

LOGH really pulls no punches regarding war, nationalism, the latent fascism contained within liberal democracy, the rank idiocy of aristocracy - and how all these idiocies suck decent, talented, well-meaning people into situations where there are no moral choices

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember when the commander of the military, when the Alliance went on that terrible offensive, outright says he hopes they lose in a non crippling way.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Never, ever watch the next episode previews. However, sometimes the episode continues through the credits, so don't just reflexively skip, either.

Some of it is super poetic though, narrator always killing it.

episode26 spoilur

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

More DNT!
https://anitrendz.net/news/2023/11/05/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-die-neue-these-sequel-announced/

Nothing other than a "it's happening" but still good news. It does say something about season 4 airing in Japan in January but I thought that already happened last year?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

More DNT!
https://anitrendz.net/news/2023/11/05/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-die-neue-these-sequel-announced/

Nothing other than a "it's happening" but still good news. It does say something about season 4 airing in Japan in January but I thought that already happened last year?

Thought that was season 3.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
'Seasons' is becoming a nebulous term for DNT, right? Wasn't the last one a series of movies rather than ~12 episodes? I'm pretty behind, I should get caught back up so I can relive the good times of waiting for CentralAnime to release more subs for the original series way back when :corsair:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah it's really confusing, but I think every "season" starts off as three movies and gets turned into a 12 episode run afterwards. I haven't been keep close track (I want to get more DNT episodes out before I rewatch) but I thought both season 3 and 4 had their 12 episode run last year.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first season was just eps, but every one since has been movies that were broken into eps for broadcast, as far as I can tell.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SIMP.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord posted:

I distinguish four types. There are clever, hardworking, stupid, and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and hardworking; their place is the General Staff. The next ones are stupid and lazy; they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties. Anyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties, because he possesses the mental clarity and strength of nerve necessary for difficult decisions. One must beware of anyone who is both stupid and hardworking; he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always only cause damage.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

swish

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Universal Calendar 800, Neu Reich Calendar 2, October 11

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

he rules

my man is fed up

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my only beef with eps 90-96 so far is that no way would 3,500,000 dudes stick with Reuenthal against the rest of the Empire

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I'm still on mid-30s on my latest super slow rewatch (haven't gotten the gf to want to watch it with me lately so might have to just marathon it alone), but really want to get into episodes 50-110 which I have seen the least of compared to the first half of the show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TenementFunster posted:

my only beef with eps 90-96 so far is that no way would 3,500,000 dudes stick with Reuenthal against the rest of the Empire

tbh I try real hard to ignore whenever the show gives hard numbers because I swear there are times where Wen-li will lose a quarter of his ships after a long engagement only to end up with more than he started with

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

TenementFunster posted:

They don't think they're going against the rest of the empire, they think they're protecting the empire from the nefarious machinations of Oberstein and Lang.

Schwarzwald posted:

tbh I try real hard to ignore whenever the show gives hard numbers because I swear there are times where Wen-li will lose a quarter of his ships after a long engagement only to end up with more than he started with

I imagine there are still ships being built, ships in varying states of overhaul, and shipyards full of mothballed ships waiting to be reactivated. Also, total number of ships doesn't really indicate how many are big capital ships vs small auxiliary ships.

The limiting factor is probably finding competent crew to man them all.

Do individual Spartanians count toward ship totals?

I can't remember, do we ever see previously captured ships re-painted and used by the captor's side in a battle?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
The real question is, how do people drive cars? Are we to assume that other planets have fossil fuels as well?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm guessing the cars are electric.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

YoursTruly posted:

The real question is, how do people drive cars?

They don't, the cars are self driving!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

There’s even a centralized service that gets hosed up cuz all the competent people have been fed into the war machine.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

TenementFunster posted:

You gotta keep in mind how scale works in this setting. There are oodles of planets that have been colonized, with battles where the deathcount is routinely in the millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

OnimaruXLR posted:

You gotta keep in mind how scale works in this setting. There are oodles of planets that have been colonized, with battles where the deathcount is routinely in the millions.
yeah but the guy is almost as big a creep as Oberstein. i wouldn't let him give me a ride home, much less follow him into a fight against a Hall of Fame Himbo like Wolfgang Mittermeyer

e: and just lol at Reuenthal scheduling an appointment to do a straight-up first-degree murder on Trunicht on his way out

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 10, 2023