Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

smellmycheese posted:

It takes a HUGE amount of effort and wilful stupidity to rack up 11 grand of roaming charges in 2023

Three has a £6 per MB charge for Morocco.

That's only 1.6GB of data to reach £10k.

You could probably hit that without realising by just listening to Spotify for a few hours or watching a YouTube video.

Tldr, I'm too clumsy to not check my data roaming settings so I'm never leaving the country to prevent me from bankrupting my family.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah that's why I never leave the country either.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bad news for famous thread theories:

https://x.com/steven_swinford/status/1723059417044656621

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Kemi is the next favourite to be prime minister according to the mad ratings of Nadine Dories on radio 2 yesterday

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kin posted:

Three has a £6 per MB charge for Morocco.

That's only 1.6GB of data to reach £10k.

You could probably hit that without realising by just listening to Spotify for a few hours or watching a YouTube video.

Tldr, I'm too clumsy to not check my data roaming settings so I'm never leaving the country to prevent me from bankrupting my family.

I went over few years back when my phone casually downloaded a several gig iPhone update over cellular, so I don’t find it hard to believe at all.

Also, what of reason for the tubes not starting until 3 today? I can’t find it anywhere, doesn’t seem to be engineering or strikes, but is scheduled.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Red Oktober posted:

Also, what of reason for the tubes not starting until 3 today? I can’t find it anywhere, doesn’t seem to be engineering or strikes, but is scheduled.

Supposedly a massive upgrade of the signalling system.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It's definitely helpful for people to be reminded now and then of how the Holocaust actually played out to avoid these kind of dumb debates. I watched Ken Burns' lengthy documentary "The U.S. and the Holocaust" last year and it was a great reminder of how gradual the process actually was, but also how laborious it is to actually carry out genocide.

The Nazis wanted to get rid of the Jews in Europe, but they wanted to do that as cheaply and easily as possible. The Madagascar plan was floated because it would have been, relatively speaking, simple and easy: all they would have had to do was ship Jews out there without any regard for their wellbeing (something many areas under German control were already doing), so that many would die and they wouldn't have to deal with the rest. Then when that fell through, they quickly discovered on the Eastern Front in 1941-42 that you can't just have people shoot civilians day in day out, because it takes an enormous toll on even hardened psychopaths to shoot hundreds or thousands of unarmed people a day. So they began developing death camps, and things went from there.

If the anglo countries had been receptive to Jewish refugees and the Nazis could have terrorized the Jews enough in the late 1930s to drive the remaining population out, Hitler would have been perfectly happy to do so.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Jedit posted:

There's also the passing fact that they dropped the whole idea as soon as someone pointed out that Germany didn't actually control Madagascar.

And the small matter of the thousands of miles of sea between the two with the world's largest navy sitting in it whilst at war with them.

I've pretty much assumed that Madagascar was a vague handwave that nobody had really given more than a few seconds thought to and stopped entirely when someone else just suggested "that looks like a whole lot of effort when we could just kill them all".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Roller Coast Guard posted:

And the small matter of the thousands of miles of sea between the two with the world's largest navy sitting in it whilst at war with them.

I've pretty much assumed that Madagascar was a vague handwave that nobody had really given more than a few seconds thought to and stopped entirely when someone else just suggested "that looks like a whole lot of effort when we could just kill them all".

Yeah, the plan was quickly dropped when it turned out that they were never invading Britain because it was all predicated on using the British merchant navy.

But it was a serious proposition in the Foreign Office

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MeinPanzer posted:

It's definitely helpful for people to be reminded now and then of how the Holocaust actually played out to avoid these kind of dumb debates. I watched Ken Burns' lengthy documentary "The U.S. and the Holocaust" last year and it was a great reminder of how gradual the process actually was, but also how laborious it is to actually carry out genocide.

The Nazis wanted to get rid of the Jews in Europe, but they wanted to do that as cheaply and easily as possible. The Madagascar plan was floated because it would have been, relatively speaking, simple and easy: all they would have had to do was ship Jews out there without any regard for their wellbeing (something many areas under German control were already doing), so that many would die and they wouldn't have to deal with the rest. Then when that fell through, they quickly discovered on the Eastern Front in 1941-42 that you can't just have people shoot civilians day in day out, because it takes an enormous toll on even hardened psychopaths to shoot hundreds or thousands of unarmed people a day. So they began developing death camps, and things went from there.

If the anglo countries had been receptive to Jewish refugees and the Nazis could have terrorized the Jews enough in the late 1930s to drive the remaining population out, Hitler would have been perfectly happy to do so.

Well, that's a post/username combo if I ever saw one.

Hitler wanted to take over the world. Sooner or later the Jews were going to run out of places to run to and they were going to be exterminated. If Hitler would have been happy to not kill the Jews during the war, it would only be so he could put it off until afterwards.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Presumably it was upon the realization that Madagascar wasn't in the cards when Hitler went mad and ended up killing six million Jews.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah to be clear you have to already really really want to hand it to the Nazis for the Madagascar plan to look like evidence of a deep humanitarian yearning. Turns out some people do really really want to hand it to the Nazis though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
maybe he was just trying to hit them with extortionate roaming charges. extra evil.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1723281273852973141/photo/1

The editor of Jewish News is also now wading in to die on the hill of 'history shows us that the Nazis were serious men grimly taking on the responsibility of what they viewed as a hard but necessary task, not real monsters like Hamas or 31-year-old Novara journalist Rivkah Brown'

and at this point I'm beginning to wonder whether the majority of the UK's media figures are not just ethically compromised and intellectually immature, but completely insane.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jedit posted:

Hitler wanted to take over the world. Sooner or later the Jews were going to run out of places to run to and they were going to be exterminated. If Hitler would have been happy to not kill the Jews during the war, it would only be so he could put it off until afterwards.

I mean, in the abstract, sure. But I don't think the Axis powers ever even floated a plausible plan for invading and conquering the Americas.

The bottom line is that for the majority of their time in power, the Nazis were happy simply to ethnically cleanse the territory they controlled as cheaply and efficiently as possible. In central and western Europe, where they felt they had to restrain themselves somewhat in order not to turn other countries against them, that meant oppressing and terrorising Jews to drive them to flee whenever possible, but up until 1942 it didn't yet involve wholesale genocide, as it did in eastern Europe.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

In the midst of War Christmas and “our boys” and “the fallen” I do have to wonder what some poor bastard about to be sent into the meat grinder on D-Day would think if you told him that in 80 years time Jews would be actively praising Hitlers work ethic

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
making GBS threads myself to be at the protest today. Half expecting suella herself to start throwing Molotov

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Happy armistice day guys, hope you all have a great day remembering the fallen of wars such as Iraq, the Falklands, the occupation of Northern Ireland and the time we invented concentration camps.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Everyone going on the marches, hope it all goes peacefully.
Look out for the agents provocateurs!

Don't let Suella grind you down.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

grobbo posted:

The editor of Jewish News is also now wading in to die on the hill of 'history shows us that the Nazis were serious men grimly taking on the responsibility of what they viewed as a hard but necessary task, not real monsters like Hamas or 31-year-old Novara journalist Rivkah Brown'

and at this point I'm beginning to wonder whether the majority of the UK's media figures are not just ethically compromised and intellectually immature, but completely insane.

insane implies they don’t know what they’re doing, they know exactly what they’re doing and what they want but they’re finding it increasingly difficult to only use dog whistles

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's apparently all kicking off on Whitehall already, fash on fash violence.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Aipsh posted:

making GBS threads myself to be at the protest today. Half expecting suella herself to start throwing Molotov

Don't be worried. Doing anything that Braverman dislikes is a pretty good indication that you're doing the right thing.

Other goons, I'll be there too. Protest hard, it'll be a big one. Don't forget to give a big shout out our Jewish brothers and sisters out there, especially the anti-zionist rabbis who have been turning up on the regular, those guys rock!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
each passing day feels more insane but is perhaps the natural destination of very smart people dedicating their lives to defending the Only Democracy In The Middle-East™ which then starts bombing 50 hospitals a day

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

josh04 posted:

Much solemn and dignified posting on display

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's also that every journalist wants to be the Hot Take Haver, and some people get so tied up in 'is this an interesting way of looking at the thing everyone is talking about' that they lose sight of the fact that the take itself is absolutely deranged.

On Adam Buxton's podcast, one of the first thing out of Malcolm Gladwell's mouth was that he's more taken by an idea if it's interesting than if it's correct, and I think about that a lot. Not because it's a good idea but because of how astonishingly masturbatory it is.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
can't believe this has happened

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

They are like the Cheese Cheetos you get in USA but inexplicably have never been able to get here, except in Flamin Hot. Except bigger and more luxuriantly cheesy. A true god among crisps.

I've seen the crunchy cheese Cheetos here, but they're in inexplicably small bags price marked at 49p.

Jalapeno and cheese crunchy Cheetos are a weapons-grade crisp, but the only place to get them here is in the American candy shop who charge a fortune.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's also that every journalist wants to be the Hot Take Haver, and some people get so tied up in 'is this an interesting way of looking at the thing everyone is talking about' that they lose sight of the fact that the take itself is absolutely deranged.

On Adam Buxton's podcast, one of the first thing out of Malcolm Gladwell's mouth was that he's more taken by an idea if it's interesting than if it's correct, and I think about that a lot. Not because it's a good idea but because of how astonishingly masturbatory it is.

Adam had Malcolm Gladwell on? Glad I dropped that podcast a while ago then.

Aipsh posted:

Can't believe Braverman would throw the corpse of a dead Russian at people

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sinky posted:

Suella Was Right

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lol, lmao

https://twitter.com/lowles_nick/status/1723303563151991122?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

So yeah, they've soft-touched the fascists at Braverman's insistence (she specifically called the handling unbalanced earlier in the week) and all the TSG vans laid out to prevent even a single pro-ceasefire protestor from reaching the Cenotaph have had to dash back across the city centre to deal with it. Optimistic maybe but I don't see Braverman surviving this, it's a total gently caress-up that she's personally stamped her name all over.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Has the peace march been impacted at all by this fash on fash violence?
IIRC the peace march doesn't get going for another hour or so.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

josh04 posted:

Noice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sinky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fMm3VKPGA

josh04 posted:

:sickos:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Has the peace march been impacted at all by this fash on fash violence?
IIRC the peace march doesn't get going for another hour or so.

Gathering from now, won't leave Hyde Park for another two hours-ish. Was meaning to be there but my stomach has staged a last-minute intervention.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

grobbo posted:

It's unbelievable, he says right there that they viewed it as a necessary chore. So they were evil enough to believe that Jewish people must be exterminated but they didn't dance about it. You'd have to be out of your mind to think that's a difference worth mentioning.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When you're so broke brained that you can't figure out that "the banality of evil" was not meant to be a compliment. The bureaucratic mass killer who clocks out at 6pm is more terrifying than the Dahmer or Sutcliffe who gets off on it. That's the point.

Where did these people put their brain?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

grobbo posted:

Trying to scrutinise and compare the sadboi-to-Jeffrey Dahmer ratio of the SS and Hamas. Totally normal adult behaviour

e: lol, 2 seconds apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

forkboy84 posted:

Can't believe Braverman would throw the corpse of a dead Russian at people

I’ve got a sneaky stock of Ribbentrop bones just in case