Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, log off Leunig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If getting off-grid is so loving great, why don't you do it Leunig

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

If getting off-grid is so loving great, why don't you do it Leunig
If he stays online and shares his work he hopes to drive the rest of us off-grid to get away from him, thereby achieving our salvation by delaying his own. Truly enlightened behaviour.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Pedro X. Molina

Jack Ohman

Ann Telnaes

Matt Wuerker

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

John Branch

Jimmy Margulies

David M. Hitch

Darrin Bell

Carlos Latuff

Randall Enos

Dave Whamond

Amjad Rasmi

Drew Sheneman

David Horsey

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh nice Superjail reboot

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I'm sure it can't be but this really reads like "those goddamn gazan civilians keep rebuilding their cities :argh: why won't they stay dead and destroyed"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Microplastics posted:

I'm sure it can't be but this really reads like "those goddamn gazan civilians keep rebuilding their cities :argh: why won't they stay dead and destroyed"

The presence of those roots makes me think the message is the opposite; Palestinian roots are so deep and strong that Israel cannot hope to destroy Gaza

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I thought those were hamas tunnels!

But yeah, that interpretation makes sense

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Bennett’s still got it, if only occasionally.

I mean the joke is the most basic middle-class American liberal poo poo: Trump dumb baby — but it works because as well as being true (he am dumb baby), he just communicates that idea directly, competently, and humorously, and lets it be. No-one has to be a shrieking baboon; no straight-faced everyman has to be remarking, “Well! I thought I’d seen dumb babies!!”; not every item in the scene has to have two or three contradictory labels attached to it.

Just nice to see some proper cartooning, particularly from the American field, which is on the whole so pitiful.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I really like the art in this one. Look at those tiny cities.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean I get Ted's point and it's not even wrong, but he managed to gently caress up "Biden isn't doing enough" so badly that his message comes out as "Biden successfully saved this person's life, even if it's not perfect" because like... yeah, losing a limb sucks, but it sucks a lot less than losing two limbs, or getting killed?

The point is that expecting someone to be grateful that you "only" blew off their leg instead of murdering them is insane.

Also the larger joke is that the whole thing is a liberal fantasy: that the IDF leveling whole neighborhoods and killing 10,000 people is actually thanks to Biden secretly "restraining" Bibi by unprovably whispering contradictions to his public "no red lines for Israel" stance.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

VitalSigns posted:

The point is that expecting someone to be grateful that you "only" blew off their leg instead of murdering them is insane.

Also the larger joke is that the whole thing is a liberal fantasy: that the IDF leveling whole neighborhoods and killing 10,000 people is actually thanks to Biden secretly "restraining" Bibi by unprovably whispering contradictions to his public "no red lines for Israel" stance.

Ugh you just had to make some reasonable and coherent points when I was perfectly happy hating on Rall without giving it any further thought :arghfist::smith:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Bennett’s still got it, if only occasionally.

I mean the joke is the most basic middle-class American liberal poo poo: Trump dumb baby — but it works because as well as being true (he am dumb baby), he just communicates that idea directly, competently, and humorously, and lets it be. No-one has to be a shrieking baboon; no straight-faced everyman has to be remarking, “Well! I thought I’d seen dumb babies!!”; not every item in the scene has to have two or three contradictory labels attached to it.

Just nice to see some proper cartooning, particularly from the American field, which is on the whole so pitiful.

Probably his best in a long time. He made good use of shapes, too: look at how the baby bottle for the big dumb baby relates to the water bottles used by his lawyers, and how the paperwork contrasts with the big dumb crayon drawings the big dumb baby did.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Fister Roboto posted:

This one bothers me in a really weird way. It looks more like fanfiction of the Buttigiegs than an actual political cartoon.

But aside from that it's absurdly naive for this day and age.

Yeah since Buttigieg essentially ran on "Gays: They're just like you and me!" back in 2020, this whole cartoon reminds me of that late 00's period where it was slowly dawning on America that LGBTQ people existed who weren't drug-addled gogo dancers. It's weird to see the Normality Argument emphatically made in 2023, and it's even weirder to pretend like a Christian Nationalist who spent decades trying to recriminalize being gay would be swayed by a charming yuppie dinner.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Best Overall. Funny and clear-cut message.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Probably his best in a long time. He made good use of shapes, too: look at how the baby bottle for the big dumb baby relates to the water bottles used by his lawyers, and how the paperwork contrasts with the big dumb crayon drawings the big dumb baby did.

I was a fan of the hands. They're not drawn comically small, but if you look at them, they're clearly childlike.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ella Baron on the policing of the protest march on Armistice Day – The Metropolitan police has resisted political pressure to ban a pro-Palestine march in London on Saturday"

Telegraph:

"Police must be allowed space to make difficult operational decisions"

Matt:

Dame Alison Rose forfeits £7.6m as NatWest scraps bonus and share awards

Independent:

After Dali.

The i paper:

Times:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Oh nice Superjail reboot
Jacknife and Jared’s son had a rough go at politics.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah since Buttigieg essentially ran on "Gays: They're just like you and me!" back in 2020, this whole cartoon reminds me of that late 00's period where it was slowly dawning on America that LGBTQ people existed who weren't drug-addled gogo dancers. It's weird to see the Normality Argument emphatically made in 2023, and it's even weirder to pretend like a Christian Nationalist who spent decades trying to recriminalize being gay would be swayed by a charming yuppie dinner.

Y'all may want to look into the cartoonist and his audience.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Kellies Nomination: Most Opposite of Reality

Pretty hateful loving take from McCoy. Biden's administration is perfectly fine with Israel's genocide of the Palestinian people, but I guess it's not enough for McCoy that the US isn't directly exterminating the Palestinian people.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 12, 2023

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
It's also the easiest possible edit. I expect it will take most people less time to fix that cartoon than it takes me to write this post.

This, however... I'm sure Lester thinks this is insightful commentary, but seriously come on. You can't see the events being reported by media in and around Gaza, or the statements by MSF and other humanitarian groups, and come to whatever the hell this conclusion is. I know hoping is too much to ask but I wish these people would ever actually see themselves for what they are.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's some really lovely cursive. I'm pretty sure he just typed this in a generic cursive-like font!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

That's Lucida Handwriting, one of the default script fonts in Windows! Hack.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Being the President and doing what the majority of Americans want, or at least pandering and saying you will, is a Very Bad Thing if you're doing it for selfish reasons. Doing what most Americans want in order to make most Americans vote for you isn't how this representative democracy is supposed to work!

Edit: hitting on the sanctimonious part of the below post, that isn't even what cursive looks like. I have provided a writing sample for the benefit of the pearl-clutchers so they can perhaps pick a better generic cursive font.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 12, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Youremother posted:

That's Lucida Handwriting, one of the default script fonts in Windows! Hack.

lmao

How can someone be so lazy and so sanctimonious at the same time?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's so lazy it undermines the point because the font is designed to be legible.

Like it's so easy to read it just makes the coyote look like a moron instead of a kids-these-days-don't-know-cursive stand in.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Clay Bennett

Matt Davies

Lee Judge

To forestall a likely question: this is a reference to the first line of a poem called "Casabianca", about a (theoretically) true incident in which a boy refused to leave his post on a burning ship until ordered to do so by his father, who (unbeknownst to him) had already died. The ship exploded when the fire reached the magazine.

Felicia Hemans posted:

The boy stood on the burning deck,
Whence all but he had fled;
The flame that lit the battle's wreck,
Shone round him o'er the dead.

Yet beautiful and bright he stood,
As born to rule the storm;
A creature of heroic blood,
A proud, though childlike form.

The flames rolled on - he would not go,
Without his father's word;
That father, faint in death below,
His voice no longer heard.

He called aloud - 'Say, father, say
If yet my task is done?'
He knew not that the chieftain lay
Unconscious of his son.

'Speak, father!' once again he cried,
'If I may yet be gone!'
- And but the booming shots replied,
And fast the flames rolled on.

Upon his brow he felt their breath
And in his waving hair;
And look’d from that lone post of death,
In still yet brave despair.

And shouted but once more aloud,
'My father! must I stay?'
While o'er him fast, through sail and shroud,
The wreathing fires made way.

They wrapped the ship in splendour wild,
They caught the flag on high,
And streamed above the gallant child,
Like banners in the sky.

There came a burst of thunder sound -
The boy - oh! where was he?
Ask of the winds that far around
With fragments strewed the sea!

With mast, and helm, and pennon fair,
That well had borne their part,
But the noblest thing which perished there,
Was that young faithful heart.

I'll leave the relevance of this to the cartoon as an exercise for the reader.

Mike Smith

Jimmy Margulies

David M. Hitch

We must accurately label domestic terrorists. A good cartoon.

Randall Enos

Dave Whamond

Amjad Rasmi

David Horsey

David loving Horsey posted:

Before the vote tally began Tuesday night, there was a widespread expectation that the 2023 election would bring a sharp swing away from the ideologues who have dominated the Seattle City Council toward a new, more pragmatic set of council members. It appears that is exactly what happened.

Though the slow process of counting mail-in votes still has far to go, it sure looks as if a message has been sent. Currently, in five of the council races, the more moderate candidates hold large leads over their self-proclaimed progressive opponents. In a sixth race, the moderate, Cathy Moore, has been proclaimed the outright winner, while in a seventh, Dan Strauss, an incumbent who backtracked on his more left-leaning impulses, is running behind but is close enough that he might retain his seat once more votes are tabulated.

People might call this a swing to the right, but that would be a big stretch. All the so-called “moderates” are liberal Democrats. One of them, Joy Hollingsworth, has expressed amusement that she – a Black lesbian – would be considered the conservative candidate in her race.

But that’s Seattle; a town where support for public safety is caricatured as reactionary by the more bellicose activists on the left. It is good news that practitioners of bullhorn politics seem to be the big losers in Tuesday’s vote.
Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 12, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

idonotlikepeas posted:

Lee Judge

To forestall a likely question: this is a reference to the first line of a poem called "Casbianca", about a (theoretically) true incident in which a boy refused to leave his post on a burning ship until ordered to do so by his father, who (unbeknownst to him) had already died. The ship exploded when the fire reached the magazine.

The boy stood on the burning deck
His feet were all in blisters.
He tore his pants on a rusty nail
So now he wears his sister’s.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Stultus Maximus posted:

His feet were all in blisters.
He tore his pants on a rusty nail
So now he wears his sister’s.

With a pocket full of crackers
One fell down his trouser legs
And blew off both his knackers

(translators note: knackers means 'balls')

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most Opposite of Reality

Pretty hateful loving take from McCoy. Biden's administration is perfectly fine with Israel's genocide of the Palestinian people, but I guess it's not enough for McCoy that the US isn't directly exterminating the Palestinian people.
actually biden is urging bibi to slow his roll and it's not working. he's being soft enough that the rabid and stupid can absolutely say biden is "coddling terrorists" by not being a blood gargling psycho

biden has two different positions on two different situations???? how is that even possible?? what a...liar?

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

HITLARY CLINTON
Cartoon published 11/10/2023

Hillary opens her mouth and inserts a panzer.

Hillary Clinton continues to make public appearances both on stage and on TV. While on ’The View’ a very bitter Hillary claimed that it would be ’the end of our country as we know it’ if Trump was reelected in 2024. She also compared Trump to Hitler.

Democrats always smear Republican opponents as ’Nazis.’ We’ve heard that for decades. The far-lefties think anyone who is conservative is a fascist bent on lynching and other forms of heartlessness.

Never Miss A New Cartoon! Sign Up Today For Our GrrrNEWS cartoon newsletter-It’s Free and Easy!

However, if anyone resembles Hitler, it is Hillary herself. After all, she lusts for power and world dominion through the creation of wars. She said Trump’s “MAGA extremists” need to go to reeducation camps, i.e., concentration camps. Think that can’t happen? An anti-Hillary meme maker was arrested and sentenced to prison for making fun of Hillary. Hillary says Trump is a threat to ‘our democracy,’ but obviously her democracy doesn’t allow free speech.

Keep Us Drawing- Support our work with a small donation, click to donate!

Hillary said Trump would use the legal system and invent charges to go after his enemies. What? Does Hillary have no sense of self awareness? Obviously not. She invented the ‘Russia Russia Russia!’ lies and corporate media repeated those lies for many years before it was all disproven—costing taxpayers around $45 million. Hillary faced no consequences. She never does.

Hillary’s biggest supporter has been George Soros. He once admitted that as a 14 year-old in Hungary he helped turn in Jews to the Nazis. Whether or not this is true, Soros is indeed a destroyer. He enjoyed bringing about economic havoc to countries while raking in a fortune. He once said that he would like to be ‘God.’ He is still destroying today—he finances candidates who don’t believe in law and order.

We are fundraising for 2023, You can also keep GrrrGraphics online with a purchase! Visit our Best sellers! Click now!

One of his favorite candidates was Hillary Clinton. He must have known she was bent on destruction because he has repeated given her campaigns many millions of dollars. He recognizes within her a fellow traveler.

If anyone is a Nazi, it’s ‘Hitlery’ Clinton.

— The GrrrTeam

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

InsertPotPun posted:

actually biden is urging bibi to slow his roll and it's not working. he's being soft enough that the rabid and stupid can absolutely say biden is "coddling terrorists" by not being a blood gargling psycho

That's a very charitable read. The Biden admin wants to be seen as trying to slow Bibi's roll, sure, and that's enough to set off the bloodthirstiest lunatics, but we don't have to pretend that they're making any kind of sincere effort.

that rant is something else, woof

a politically 'moderate' black lesbian??? now i've truly seen it all

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Reminds me of the time Ben said Trump's NOT a fascist by posting a big loving list of the defining traits of a fascist leader he likes (most of them) and pointing out Trump does all that.

Also Project 2025 is pretty drat direct in one of its goals being punishment of Trump's perceived enemies (which they deny trying to do but that'd be like giving meth to a tamed wolf in a room alone and expecting good things out of it). It's very annoying how effective the Republican tactic of say our opponents are doing bad poo poo for the purposes of doing it themselves is. "Two wrongs don't make a right" is a common old saying for a reason- we've known about the lizard part of our brains being susceptible to the idea that yes they do for a long time and yet it still loving works.

Edit: on that note and sticking with animal analogies, see also the Israeli method of beating the poo poo out of a bear, acting surprised when the bear mauls them, then hunting brown bears to extinction because hey, they mauled us.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 12, 2023

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

idonotlikepeas posted:

David Horsey

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

The Seattle Times was the only online source I could quickly find that summarized the candidates' positions.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-elections-too-close-to-call-in-initial-results/

The Seattle Times posted:

While the city positions are nonpartisan and it is not a perfect split, the candidates — like the current council — largely fall into one of two groups of Democrats. There are self-proclaimed progressives likely to vote in favor of more housing density, taxes and alternatives to policing, and there are more moderate candidates often more supportive of policing and maybe more conservative on development and taxes.

Then I stumbled across a Seattle Times editorial by Sarah Grace Taylor that noted how low voter turnout, especially among younger voters, influenced the results.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-elections-too-close-to-call-in-initial-results/

Sarah Grace Taylor's editorial posted:

Older voter participation declined only slightly compared with the last similar off-year election, in 2019. The number of voters 65 and older, the largest voting bloc, was down about 6% from 2019, according to ballot return stats.

But young voting plunged. Voters ages 25 to 34 dropped off by 27% compared with 2019. The number of ballots returned by the 18-to-24 set, known to be the most progressive group, fell by 31% countywide.
[...]
There’s no way of knowing how these missing Seattleites might have voted. But their absence almost certainly contributed to a big swing away from the left. The center-left candidates may win up to five of the seven council seats on the ballot — some of them in squeaker contests.

Why didn't young people show up to vote? The editorial offers some speculation on the question. The speculation includes "the candidates all seemed pretty alike", "recent polls showed lack of faith in the incumbent city council", "protest movement politics can't sustain itself forever", "the far left is focused on Gaza and the Middle East", and "everyone is exhausted from all the horrible stuff that's been happening".

Of course, this is just one city's election, and I realize the value of voting in general has been exhaustively debated in these forums. Furthermore, I absolutely do not intend to downplay the vital importance of being politically active in ways other than voting, including protesting. I do not agree with the editorial's dim view of protesting.

But I feel like it's important to highlight this specific and current example of how a block of people (especially young people) not voting may have changed the outcome of the election for a city's government. It's one more piece of evidence that the smaller the election, the greater the impact of any one person's vote.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
clinton says a small part of trump supporters are bad: "why is hillary calling all trump supporters racist monsters?????"
trump very specifically calls democrat scumbag liars who wants to destroy america: ""

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Allie probably picked a font instead of hand-lettering, and Stantis looked at it and said yeah that’s good.

Yes, that comic took the effort of two hacks.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

It's going to be very interesting when Soros and Hillary eventually pass away. I wonder what they will scapegoat next as "the big evil entity that secretly controls everything".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

JamesBont posted:

It's going to be very interesting when Soros and Hillary eventually pass away. I wonder what they will scapegoat next as "the big evil entity that secretly controls everything".

If they can't find a suitable one they'll pretend they're still alive and just faked their deaths to work in the shadows.