Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Someone I managed, who was also a friend, died last week (lung cancer, a year or so off retirement :sigh:). I had been running a collection for him before he died but then it happened suddenly and his wife asked for it to be donated to RBL. He didn't serve, was just really into his military history.

Obviously I do not support RBL in any way usually, but felt I had to fulfil this wish. I added on a tenner to the collection that went to RBL and then gave an additional £20 to Medical Aid for Palestine. Would anyone have given the whole lot to another organisation if they were in that position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Wafflecop posted:

Someone I managed, who was also a friend, died last week (lung cancer, a year or so off retirement :sigh:). I had been running a collection for him before he died but then it happened suddenly and his wife asked for it to be donated to RBL. He didn't serve, was just really into his military history.

Obviously I do not support RBL in any way usually, but felt I had to fulfil this wish. I added on a tenner to the collection that went to RBL and then gave an additional £20 to Medical Aid for Palestine. Would anyone have given the whole lot to another organisation if they were in that position?

No, you did the right thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Wafflecop posted:

I would have donated it to RBL as per his wishes (unless you have any good reason to think they wouldn't have and his wife decided - I know for sure my mum didn't agree with some of my dad's choices so I made sure to record them directly from dad before he passed away.). If I felt strongly that I couldn't comply with someone's wishes in this situation, I would give the money to the wife or another friend and ask her to do it (though maybe 'choose my moment'!) or alternatively donate it "in memory of" but if possible leave my name off it.

If it helps, RBL have supported the right for the pro-Palestinian march to happen.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Guavanaut posted:

When you're so broke brained that you can't figure out that "the banality of evil" was not meant to be a compliment. The bureaucratic mass killer who clocks out at 6pm is more terrifying than the Dahmer or Sutcliffe who gets off on it. That's the point.

Where did these people put their brain?

It’s only a matter of time until we get the galaxy brained “actually, the Nazis weren’t really that antisemitic” op ed.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

bessantj posted:

It's unbelievable, he says right there that they viewed it as a necessary chore. So they were evil enough to believe that Jewish people must be exterminated but they didn't dance about it. You'd have to be out of your mind to think that's a difference worth mentioning.

I think you basically have to view it as a deranged, unexamined, but absolutely telling argument from conservatives that atrocities committed systemically as part of a Western nation-state are innately more ethical, complicated, and human than atrocities committed spontaneously or fanatically in revolt against a Western nation-state.

The angle is, essentially: "The historical record shows that many slave-owners felt reluctant and conflicted about their participation in an system of oppression. Haitian revolutionaries, however, celebrated with 'genocidal joy' during the massacres of Saint-Domingue, which of course demonstrates an extra level of monstrous inhumanity-"

grobbo fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 11, 2023

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I would have donated it to RBL as per his wishes (unless you have any good reason to think they wouldn't have and his wife decided - I know for sure my mum didn't agree with some of my dad's choices so I made sure to record them directly from dad before he passed away.). If I felt strongly that I couldn't comply with someone's wishes in this situation, I would give the money to the wife or another friend and ask her to do it (though maybe 'choose my moment'!) or alternatively donate it "in memory of" but if possible leave my name off it.

If it helps, RBL have supported the right for the pro-Palestinian march to happen.

I don't think it was specifically his wish, just something the wife came up with this week. He did buy poppies though so it's not like he would've been totally opposed I'm sure. That last bit does help though, thanks.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Immediate urge to poo as soon as we start moving :sludgepal:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Aipsh posted:

Immediate urge to poo as soon as we start moving :sludgepal:

LEFT-WING HATE-MARCHER POOS ON CENOTAPH :itwaspoo:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Even if you grant the deranged premise that the SS were mostly just clock-punching drudges and Hamas are mostly Jeffrey Dahmers, I'd venture to suggest that the massive, industrial, state-sanctioned and -powered mechanism for wholesale butchery probably provided the ideal conditions to create, tolerate, enable, and valorise a growing number of Dahmers. And I'm sure the complexity of human psychology allows for someone to be both a clock-punching drudge and Jeffrey Dahmer depending on the day of the week. But who the gently caress cares! They were both still stacking corpses like loving cordwood and the state was going to ensure this happened regardless! And now we've got people trying to Inception themselves into the brains of long-dead murderers in order to prove that it's OK to JDAM the poo poo out of intensive care! It's such bullshit!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

All the great London Landmarks - The Albert Hall, 10 Downing Street, and Tommy Robinson being a fash

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

All the great London Landmarks - The Albert Hall, 10 Downing Street, and Tommy Robinson being a fash

I thought Yaxley Lennon had done a runner? (Was that posted on here or did I see it somewhere else?)

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1723294265114063154

We're expecting that, just this once, the fascists won't pull that fascist poo poo they've pulled every single time they've ever marched in London.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

"we thought those 2 groups together would cause riots, so we're banning the pro-peace one that scheduled first instead of the violent fascists who came to do a riot" is gold medal mental gymnastics

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
embezzle is a great word.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Has the peace march been impacted at all by this fash on fash violence?
IIRC the peace march doesn't get going for another hour or so.
Doesn't matter, even if there are no actual links it'll be reported as "look at the chaos even talking about a theoretical anti-israel* march has caused, which is why we need to make it illegal."

Make what illegal you ask? Why, whatever the home secretary doesn't like and can link to the protest of course!

*I'm not saying it is, i'm saying that's how it'll be reported.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Doesn't matter, even if there are no actual links it'll be reported as "look at the chaos even talking about a theoretical anti-israel* march has caused, which is why we need to make it illegal."

Make what illegal you ask? Why, whatever the home secretary doesn't like and can link to the protest of course!

*I'm not saying it is, i'm saying that's how it'll be reported.

Yeah I've seen that. Various including the Standard reporting on the fash but getting the words "pro-Palestinian march" in the headlines & illustrating it with a photo of pro-Palestinian marchers from earlier marches.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

grobbo posted:

I think you basically have to view it as a deranged, unexamined, but absolutely telling argument from conservatives that atrocities committed systemically as part of a Western nation-state are innately more ethical, complicated, and human than atrocities committed spontaneously or fanatically in revolt against a Western nation-state.

The angle is, essentially: "The historical record shows that many slave-owners felt reluctant and conflicted about their participation in an system of oppression. Haitian revolutionaries, however, celebrated with 'genocidal joy' during the massacres of Saint-Domingue, which of course demonstrates an extra level of monstrous inhumanity-"

The Nazis had decorum you see, not like those savage brown people.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1723294265114063154

We're expecting that, just this once, the fascists won't pull that fascist poo poo they've pulled every single time they've ever marched in London.
After the last week I wouldn’t entirely rule out the Met doing a malicious compliance (‘we just following the home secretary’s instructions on how the protests should be policed’). Probably giving them too much credit tho.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I wouldn't put it past Braverman to sack Rowley, but I'm also not sure he'd care much given he's already retired once.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Word on the street is Rishi Sunak's a wasteman. Can anyone confirm/deny?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

elbkaida posted:

Michael Gove would like to know which street you're posting from

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

elbkaida posted:

Can confirm.

Maybe we should switch around the terms 'Commissioner of the Treasury' and 'Dustbin Man' as refuse collectors are far more useful to society.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

elbkaida posted:

Lmao, heard this a lot today at the rally.

I've marched for nearly 2 and half hours so I'm tapping out for the day. Well done everyone who made it. Some absolutely banging signs out there today, one of note reading "TINY DICK MEN RUINING THE WORLD!"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Not a single arrest on the Palestine March so far. Meanwhile a bunch of the worst football hooligan scum are kicking lumps out of the cops and the papers are describing it as “jostling” lol

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Had to peel off from the match, my poor thighs are in shambles. One thing I’d never seen before was the air above the people in front of us was wobbling from the (righteous, correct) heat being given off.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Oh poo poo Michael Gove literally brushed past me. As much as I hate him, brave of him to walk through on his own

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Aipsh posted:

Oh poo poo Michael Gove literally brushed past me. As much as I hate him, brave of him to walk through on his own

If you notice any stinging or swelling sensation in the area he touched, you might need a friend to pee on you and remove the stinger barbs

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

the occupation of Northern Ireland

jeezaloo lol

however you feel about it, northern ireland was and remains a home nation of the UK and you really do a disservice to occupied territories when you use this wording

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm sure you can find other reactions if you look for them but all the "normies" I see are condemning the fash at the cenotaph. They look terrible.

The baiting of some big left vs right clash has back fired massively (although it's still early I suppose). They just look like thugs who aren't "defending " anything.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The BBCs live blog coverage of this is really pro match, it’s nice to see. “Protest remains peaceful” a lot, pointing out that all the arrests are counter protestors etc. Refreshing.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I saw some aerial footage and it looks absolutely massive.

The media are going to have their work cut out finding a handful of nutjobs chanting something anti-Semitic in a crowd of that size.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
this is the same media that whipped up a poo poo tornado because of how jeremy corbyn pronounced the surname of a convicted paedophile, i'm sure they'll do just fine

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol this is pretty loving bad https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1723302532003340774

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kin posted:

Three has a £6 per MB charge for Morocco.

That's only 1.6GB of data to reach £10k.

You could probably hit that without realising by just listening to Spotify for a few hours or watching a YouTube video.

Tldr, I'm too clumsy to not check my data roaming settings so I'm never leaving the country to prevent me from bankrupting my family.

When I went to Tunisia for work one of our team forgot to turn off roaming and had racked up £200 of charges in the time it took her to leave the plane and get to the wifi in the terminal. Just from Outlook/Apps etc.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The Met have let this happen. No way they wouldnt have kettled the poo poo out of that lot before they started poo poo otherwise.

Suellas gone.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

"True Englishmen." :rubby:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And because the met didn't contain the fash at the cenotaph they're now squaring up on Vauxhall Bridge https://twitter.com/lowles_nick/status/1723372124339855849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I wish I had the sort of levels confidence like the level of confidence the British state has in the far right not being much of a problem.