Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

numberoneposter posted:

Thinking about picking up a some Arundel Looney Bins for my Surly Big Dummy.

numberoneposter posted:

My rear end Savers arrived. Trying out the Win Wing and Speed Mullet.

These aren’t real names.

Marketeers have played us for absolute fools!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

numberoneposter posted:

My rear end Savers arrived. Trying out the Win Wing and Speed Mullet.

i am super curious how this goes for you. one of the mechanics at my bike shop has one (i think the win wing?), but every time i've thought to ask about it he's been in the middle of working on something. i've been thinking about getting it since i don't really want full fenders on my straggler since i don't use it as a commuter bike and most of the time can just choose to not ride it if it rains, but sometimes the day after a big rain the standing water around here is so bad that i really need something to protect my butt

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

they're fine. it takes ten seconds to put them on and take them off. i got a set for like $20

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

abraham linksys posted:

i am super curious how this goes for you. one of the mechanics at my bike shop has one (i think the win wing?), but every time i've thought to ask about it he's been in the middle of working on something. i've been thinking about getting it since i don't really want full fenders on my straggler since i don't use it as a commuter bike and most of the time can just choose to not ride it if it rains, but sometimes the day after a big rain the standing water around here is so bad that i really need something to protect my butt
Yeah I'm just hoping for a little bit extra coverage for my commute. I have a really short commute and don't want to put full fenders on my road bike or CX bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A MIRACLE posted:

it rains too much here for me to go back to rim brakes. I'm looking at TRP hylex for my next build. the whole IS vs flat mount thing is pretty confusing when choosing parts

I liked the power of the Hylex but just putting it out there that they're much longer than other hoods. I had to size down my stem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How much crack were Shimano on when they designated the SM-MA-F203P/P and SM-MA-F203P/PM?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TobinHatesYou posted:

Say that again after you've descended 15km long -12%, twisty descent on rim-brake carbon clinchers. Or raced in the wet with rim-brake carbon clinchers

The whole ‘not being able to use your good wheels safely half the year’ thing is a big downside to rim brakes.

Residency Evil posted:

I think most people (myself included) who ended up buying a 540/840 bought the non-solar version because it seems like there's minimal point to the solar version for most people.
The solar doesn’t work enough to perpetually recharge and give infinite battery life, which is disappointing based on what you’d immediately assume.

Heliosicle posted:

- for some stupid reason you can only have 100 routes on your Garmin, and it can't load them from your phone on the fly like with Wahoo. This means the first time you sync Strava/Komoot/whatever the computer is instantly filled with your oldest routes. It won't load anything else and will not tell you this has happened (:argh:). Also every time you manually sync a ride it'll create a copy of a route and fill the computer with duplicates, so this can keep happening.

This is still a thing on the x40 series?

I don’t know what you mean by ‘manually syncing ‘ I guess copying gpx files over via USB? Just use the app or auto-sync from Komoot / Strava.

The real pain point for me with the 530 that sometimes comes up is that during a ride, you can’t load a newly synced (or created) route without stopping the activity tracking.

Annoying when you realise you have last year’s course GPX.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

numberoneposter posted:

Yeah I'm just hoping for a little bit extra coverage for my commute. I have a really short commute and don't want to put full fenders on my road bike or CX bike.

In winter? I can understand for cx, but for road, unless you’re racing over winter just fit proper full length metal mudguards that never rattle and there’s hardly any downside, and the benefit of your drivetrain staying 90% cleaner is massive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I solve the rim brake 'problem' by simply being too poor for carbon wheels :smug:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Sadly, I've learned that one of our local trails, Schoolhouse, will have a large section closed so that one road crossing in the very middle of it can be closed (including the busy road there) so a pedestrian and, I'm hoping, MUP tunnel can be run beneath the road.

This sucked all year long. For a while, this closure and another turned the 7 Loops (10, 15.3, 17.6, 22.9 , 25.7, 26.1, or 31.1. miles, take your pick!) into 1 Loops (10 miles, have fun!). One of the closures ended, making the 3 shortest loops available, but the neatest trail that tied the longer 4 to the system still had a break in the very middle.

That is, until today.

So, I'm heading out to ride through the new tunnel. Mostly, I want to get re-acquainted with that trail. My only plan for today was to ride a stationary bike at the gym, so this is a win. Thankfully, it's in the low 50s (F), so... hooray?

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
anyone here use this seat design? do you "lock down" on the back part when going up or down hills? and which energy gel do you use on it https://www.saddlespur.com/ :dong:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I just know some grandpa on an S-works is going to zoom by me with one of those saddles before too long so I'm going to hold my tongue

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

wooger posted:

This is still a thing on the x40 series?

I don’t know what you mean by ‘manually syncing ‘ I guess copying gpx files over via USB? Just use the app or auto-sync from Komoot / Strava.

The real pain point for me with the 530 that sometimes comes up is that during a ride, you can’t load a newly synced (or created) route without stopping the activity tracking.

Annoying when you realise you have last year’s course GPX.

Yep still a thing. By manually sync I mean if you go Courses->Send to device it just copies the file across, even if it's already there.

To be fair I think I just misunderstood how that function works moving from the Bolt, which was why I ended up with multiple duplicates.
On that you can load the ride on the computer via the app and be ready to go. On the Edge that isn't a thing, you're just copying the .fit file.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Turmoilx posted:

anyone here use this seat design? do you "lock down" on the back part when going up or down hills? and which energy gel do you use on it https://www.saddlespur.com/ :dong:
"Invented, developed, and tested in the UK, SaddleSpur™ has been designed to look as good as it feels."

Indeed. :raise:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Math You posted:

I'm getting into gravel riding and find the patchwork routes a bit difficult to memorize. While my Garmin Edge 125 has served me well for 10? years, I might want something with some level of navigation. My bike club has about a billion rides saved on RideWithGPS so if I can push routes from there to the unit that'd be pretty dope.

Besides strong mapping features I only otherwise need to connect speed/cadence sensors so I don't need the hottest thing on the market. Map detail and routing are definitely my big wants.

A lot has changed in the offerings in the last decade and I'm suffering from information overload. Tell me how to spend my money! (Please)

My Garmin 1030 Plus has served me well for the last couple of years. It's a bit large. But, for gravel racing, I really like having plenty of room for the map + HR + lap time. Gives me navigation, pacing and nutrition tracking, all on one screen.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do Edges still have an issue where past 16(?) characters in the course file names, the os can’t differentiate between files that are the same in the first 16 chars and only shows one of them? Ran into that on my 800 and just started making sure I named files to avoid that.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Can't say I mess with the file names. Pretty sure I have course names longer than 16 char though.

I create, or import, the route on Strava. And it syncs over to Connect and then down to my device via Connect on my phone.

Magic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dema posted:

Can't say I mess with the file names. Pretty sure I have course names longer than 16 char though

But do you have two of the same name up through 16 and only diverge after that?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Any particular recommended heart rate monitors/straps?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
my garmin hrm dual has served me well

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
How to run out of energy on a 30 mile ride:
  1. Hit the diet hard all week to recover from the prior week's excessive caloric intake (I was on PTO that week)
  2. Have a small breakfast on ride day
  3. Eat an energy bar and promise yourself you'll have lunch when you're done with the ride
  4. Do a longer ride than you planned on when making your lunch plans
  5. Bring no food. This is vital!
  6. Make sure it's cool and pretty windy
  7. ...
  8. Profit!

That said, I was still happy with the ride because the new tunnel, while short, makes that one section of trail so much more pleasant to ride. No more crossing that busy-rear end highway in the pedestrian crosswalk.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Say that again after you've descended 15km long -12%, twisty descent on rim-brake carbon clinchers. Or raced in the wet with rim-brake carbon clinchers
You can use wheels by shimano with just a carbon fairing and an actual brake track if you're that adamant about carbon wheels.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tarlibone posted:

1. Hit the diet hard all week to recover from the prior week's excessive caloric intake (I was on PTO that week)
  3. Eat an energy bar and promise yourself you'll have lunch when you're done with the ride
  7. ...
  8. Profit!

That said, I was still happy with the ride because the new tunnel, while short, makes that one section of trail so much more pleasant to ride. No more crossing that busy-rear end highway in the pedestrian crosswalk.

you forgot "have stomach pains after eating your breakfast / energy bar and spend half the ride worrying you'll need an emergency restroom" :negative: been there

bike ride good. car avoidance even better

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

tarlibone posted:

7. ...
  8. Profit!

Been there except I didn't eat breakfast either! Had to get picked up because I cpuld no longer go up hills and was shaking from lack of energy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it was one of those things where I had to do the ride because I love that trail and loop, and it had just reopened, so cardio day at the gym became cold weather ride on the trails. I was so excited that I forgot everything I know about doing a ride that long, even though 30 miles is well within my capabilities. I fine for about 20 miles, then realized that I could not get back up to speed, and it wasn't just the wind. When I got to the last part, a gradual climb (avg. 1-2% grade at most) that lasts for a few miles, I had to stop a couple times.

Still, though. Fun ride. The All-Road is pretty comfortable, even if it is a little slower. I can ride in the drops for quite a while, and the SRAM-style shifting is pretty cool because I can shift while in the drops a little more easily than I can on my Sora-equipped road bike.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

rear end Savers messed up and sent me double of part of my order. Got a second cycling cap and Regular rear end Saver in separate envelops. Just in time to be gifted for Xmas.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 12, 2023

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
that cap is cool! I ordered some stuff from rapha yesterday because code '1111' gets you a 25% discount rn, in case anyone's interested

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lex Neville posted:

that cap is cool! I ordered some stuff from rapha yesterday because code '1111' gets you a 25% discount rn, in case anyone's interested

Thanks, I've been eyeing up some rapha fleece lined bibs and a winter coat. Saved $178 (LMFAO)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, I somehow got 40% off a gilet and thermal bib tights order lol, maybe it stacks with the bundle discount.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I really like riding along the beach road.

I really hate that doing that ride means going on a 10 mile slight downhill on the way there and 10 mile slight uphill the whole way back. Flipped it would be fine. But a 10 mile ghost hill after 20 miles of riding is soul crushing.

Also I managed to eat poo poo for the first time while actually on a ride. Was pulling off for a quick break and the gravel/sand was uh of a different consistency than I expected and straight down I went. Scraped my leg up but I’m fine. I get the shaved leg thing now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I really like riding along the beach road.

I really hate that doing that ride means going on a 10 mile slight downhill on the way there and 10 mile slight uphill the whole way back. Flipped it would be fine. But a 10 mile ghost hill after 20 miles of riding is soul crushing.

Also I managed to eat poo poo for the first time while actually on a ride. Was pulling off for a quick break and the gravel/sand was uh of a different consistency than I expected and straight down I went. Scraped my leg up but I’m fine. I get the shaved leg thing now.

This is something I feel a lot. Because of where I like to park, I'm often at the top of a bowl (looking at an elevation map) when I ride some of the local loops. One spot where I know I could park would save me a ton of trouble, but Leclaire Park & Ride is just so easy to get to!

My first "eat poo poo" moment came earlier this year. It had nothing to do with surface issues like gravel or sand. Nope... for me, it was train tracks that, in the eastbound direction, cross the road at an extremely shallow angle, almost parallel to the road. I'm familiar with this road as a driver, but I didn't consider the danger of the tracks until I was on my bike that day, and while I was able to pop my front wheel over the first track, my back wheel locked in, and down I went. Broke a finger and all that fun poo poo, and get this--I still had 5 miles to go before I got back to my house so me and my wife could go out to dinner. And most of the last mile is up a hill, because my ride was along the Mississippi River, and I live a little way up in the bluffs. Kinda.

She was super happy that, before we left, I had to use a brush used for cleaning under fingernails to brush gravel out of my wounds. I've never seen a woman so worried about me and filled with love while also being super-angry with me for being such a gigantic idiot.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
300% gear range IS NOT enough. i have too many climbing gears dammit i pretty much only use two different gears the go fast ones..or try to go fast anyway. could be a pace conditioning thing too? idk

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 13, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my mountain bike has 500% range :smug:

works for my tiny legs :negative:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

in terms of 1x with lots of steep climbing what gears should i have

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Depending on fitness, you might want a 1:1 gear.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

A MIRACLE posted:

All of them

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

A MIRACLE posted:

38F 50R was still not really enough to comfortable push up the steepest stuff in Seattle proper. I’d probably do 34 or 36 for real mountain singletrack.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

resident posted:

38F 50R was still not really enough to comfortable push up the steepest stuff in Seattle proper. I’d probably do 34 or 36 for real mountain singletrack.

Oh, road or off-road.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, road or off-road.

Road. We have some streets that push 25%+ grade.

This is the one I rode that didn’t go as well as expected.
http://bicycleclimbs.com/Default.aspx?ClimbId=336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if your bike can’t match an old mountain triple of 22/32 on 26″ wheels