Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
20 Minutes till Dawn dev announced a new game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2578510/20MTD_Emberpath/

They refer to it as a spin-off but it seems to be an spiritual succesor? Still, legit hyped.

Diephoon posted:

Our time has come: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/ravenage/sale/bulletheavenfest

First thing I noticed was Battle Grid. Looks like you have a cluster of mechs instead of a single character.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2281480/Battle_Grid/

Here's a 4 month old gameplay only video since I don't like trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xct-GuMh2A

Battle Grid is... disappointing? I'd put it in the same category as God of Weapons - great idea, decent first impression, terrible staying power. The premise is fun and the idea of combining a bullet heaven title with an autobattler's market is pretty novel but there's a severe lack of variety and feedback. The game just didn't do well enough to justify further development apparently, which is a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ember Path already has my interest just by having a way more readable art style.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope Ember Path has way better balance than 20 mtd.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Battle Grid exists in this unfortunate area of not only are there better survivor-likes out there but also it is completely overshadowed by mechabellum when it comes to mecha autobattlers.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The autobattler mechanics in Battle Grid mean you spend way much time on upgrades and unit placement instead of fighting. It'll probably speed up when you've played the game more and can tell the units apart without hovering over them, but it's a real turn off in those first hours. The graphics are more about style than giving visual information.

At least it was like that in the demo. It definitely didn't sell me on the full game.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Monsters 'til Midnight is alright, but I feel it should have more health pickups in the early game. Maybe I'm used to being overpowered as hell with late game characters in Vampire Survivors, I dunno.

I'll stick with it though because, as posted earlier, one of the characters is a dog in a suit, and the game is $3 on Steam so even if I give up on it at some point I'm only out $3.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mierenneuker posted:

The autobattler mechanics in Battle Grid mean you spend way much time on upgrades and unit placement instead of fighting. It'll probably speed up when you've played the game more and can tell the units apart without hovering over them, but it's a real turn off in those first hours. The graphics are more about style than giving visual information.

At least it was like that in the demo. It definitely didn't sell me on the full game.

That was my impression from watching the video too. I kept thinking wow this is a lot of time in the upgrade screen for 20 minute survival time.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Mierenneuker posted:

they did thankfully remodel half the robots so they are easier to tell apart at a glance, but comparing the weapons still eats up time

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Witchcraft Survivors seems to be one of the more potent potential bearing of the new crop on aesthetics and beyond:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2443370/Witchcraft_Survivors/

quote:

Witchcraft Survivors is an action roguelite rpg where you slay hordes of monsters while enhancing your characters with more and better spells and upgrades to kill even more foes! Instead of dodging bullets of your enemies, you play as the powerful bullet hell that fills the screen with your spectacular witchcraft!

Unique Heroes - Play different heroes, each with their own spells, builds, upgrade paths, strengths and weaknesses. You are rewarded for playing all of them individually and no hero plays like the other!
Three different meta progression systems - After each run, become stronger permanently in three different ways. Get powerful rewards by unlocking achievements, spend character xp on character specific progression paths and use gold to buy general upgrades in the shop.

Casual Playtime - Runs take usually only between 10 - 25 min, during which your heroes get from weak to godlike in no time!
Different Stages - Each Stage has their own Monsters and Bosses with their own behaviour.
Difficulty Settings - Adjust the difficulty to make each stage easier or harder. The harder the difficulty, the greater the rewards!
Different Game Modes - You can play different Modes in each Stage, resulting in a different playstyle.
Endless Onslaught - The Desert Stage never ends, how long can you survive with ever stronger waves of enemies?
Endless Progression - Upgrade your characters without limit.
And More - Hunt treasure rats for their loot, get cursed relics at the blood altar and buy up to 6 different cats!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i bought renfield and witchcraft survivors in the sale

renfield is neat, it has a macabre theme and good art so that's always a plus for me, the xp pickups being bugs to eat is funny, and the weapons are all weird stuff. I haven't got that far in it because it seems pretty difficult in terms of how much health gets doled out.

witchcraft survivors seems like it could be a heavy hitter in the genre if its not abandoned. each character has their own unique weapon set and a separate skill tree from the usual metaprogression store, so its a bit more elaborate than the stock VS clones. it also has the weird mix of jank menus and decent in-game art like VS has, which is probably a promising sign. more time seems to have been spent on gameplay than presentation, and given the number of nicely presented VS clones that get immediately abandoned that may be a good thing

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Renfield is top tier presentation and horrendously badly placed unlocks. Like astoundingly bad.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Diephoon posted:

Our time has come: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/ravenage/sale/bulletheavenfest

First thing I noticed was Battle Grid. Looks like you have a cluster of mechs instead of a single character.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2281480/Battle_Grid/

Here's a 4 month old gameplay only video since I don't like trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xct-GuMh2A

Battle Grid has recently limped to a 1.0 finish. It’s still quite fun though, and has a flavor of buy 3 for upgrades

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tell me more about this Mechabellum thing tho

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Tell me more about this Mechabellum thing tho

it seems very mp focused

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it seems very mp focused

That is not what i want from a survivors game

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

It's purely an autobattler (but a very good one)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Mechabellum is decidedly not a survivors game and I would say it’s wholly mp-focused, bots are the only single player mode and aren’t really challenging or interesting to play against. As far as auto battlers go though, it’s pretty sweet and has a fair bit of depth to it imo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2185990/When_the_Light_Dies/

This is cool, slower paced, survival mechanics

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm enjoying slime 3k. Being a preconstructed deck game really enhances the unlock challenges.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Someone made a spreadsheet of all survivors-likes and uhhh :catstare: :dogbutton:

https://survivorslikes.com/

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
771 games, 769 are in early access

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

Azran posted:

20 Minutes till Dawn dev announced a new game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2578510/20MTD_Emberpath/

They refer to it as a spin-off but it seems to be an spiritual succesor? Still, legit hyped.

Looks pretty good. although kinda wish it was same arcade style.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

A lot of those are a big stretch to describe as VS-likes. Nova Drift, Risk of Rain 2, Loop Hero, Path of Exile.

VS-likes have for sure become a genre overnight, by merit of being crowd pleasers that are relatively straightforward to make but a lot of the games on that list just don't resemble VS in pretty critical ways.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think this is my fault for calling damage-aura weapons in games that are not survivor-likes as garlic, sorry gang.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

i bought renfield and witchcraft survivors in the sale

renfield is neat, it has a macabre theme and good art so that's always a plus for me, the xp pickups being bugs to eat is funny, and the weapons are all weird stuff. I haven't got that far in it because it seems pretty difficult in terms of how much health gets doled out.

Renfield has been one of my favorites, even with the lovely slow unlocks. I wish they made the characters' starting weapons comparable, though. Renfield's starting claw slash is so much better than the cop's pistol.

Check out the movie if you get the chance, too. Every power and most of the weapons are references to it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Played Pathfinder: Gallowspire for the first time in multiple patches. Noticeably improved. Level up options are now all the same rarity so it is more of a choice instead of just going with whatever rolled the highest. You can now have 6 passives and there are more passives to choose from. Also they added in a new card system that will spawn randomly around the map like chests do and give small meta progression upgrades. Also a hyper mode option, which as far as I can tell just speeds everything up a bit, which is nice. Still not as much content as many other VS likes but they are putting in effort

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Vampire Hunters is surging ahead after a decent amount of nibbling updates with A Big One, ironically the "Survivor" update:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2206270/view/3811794911352158139 Many Details/Outlines of Details Within

quote:

Hello, Hunters!

The time has come, Survivors Mode is live!

This new game mode will completely change the way you mow down creatures in Vampire Hunters! Now you have total freedom to move through the map and slay hordes of monsters.

The new mode comes with a new map, an endless level, leaderboards, new Constellations, new monsters, relics, weapons and mini bosses, Prestige level 3 for all characters, new Permanent Upgrades, new weapon's passive effects, a new level up system, combining Constellations and much much more.

We can't wait to hear your thoughts! Don't forget to share your feedback with us. You can use this post, Steam Forums or our Discord There's a lot more awesomeness coming up!

To celebrate the release we did another episode of our Dev Play series, showcasing some of the goodies from this new update!

Because of the major gameplay differences, our idea is for you to experience this new game mode almost like a new game. So we separated the game in two different progressions. The first time you open the game, you'll be in the Survivors Mode screen with a new progression. But don't worry about your old progression, once you change to the Classic Mode (you can do that in the main menu), you'll return to your older progression and enjoy the mowing down in the Corridor-style.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol I read that wrong, I thought it was a vampire survivors update. I clicked on that link and saw the video and I was like "Vampire Survivors added an FPS mode???"

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
3 Varying Bits:

Coming Soon: EA begins proper for BloodDome99 as updates consolidate of late.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2351890/BloodDome99/

quote:

15 years from now, in the distant year of 1999:
Ronald Reagan is midway through his fifth term. Under his economic oversight the rich have gotten richer while, for most of us, the American dream has drifted farther and farther from reach.
Unable to afford healthcare or feed their own families many desperate Americans only have one option left: BloodDome99

Fight for survival and glory in a blood-drenched arena. Earn money and buy upgrades but be careful- every dollar spent brings you further from your goal: buying your freedom.
DOZENS OF UNIQUE WEAPONS

Use paper planes, snow blowers, flamethrowers, bee guns, and other inventive arms to mow down the competition. And have fun mixing and matching by simultaneously wielding as many weapons as you can afford
GAMEBREAKING BUILDS

Become an explosives expert, sniper, tank, ninja... find your playstyle with tons of perks and upgrades

Coming Soon*: Vampire Hunters only gets so much time out front with their new mode, as PSYCHOFINGER appears to be gunning Hard.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2617870/PSYCHOFINGER/

quote:

PSYCHOFINGER is a fusion of a fast-paced FPS (Ultrakill, Doom) and a horde survival roguelite (Vampire Survivors, Brotato), with a cryptic story about SCP-like bureau.

As the new agent at Department of Metaphysical Investigations (DMI), you need to clear the Metaphysical Anomaly from the Paranormal Entities and investigate the conspiracy behind it.

PROGRESSION
Shoot with your FINGERS to survive the hordes of enemies and level up
Find synergies between power-ups to create an overpowered character
Collect money and buy permanent upgrades for your character
Complete missions to unlock new weapons and items

MOVEMENT
Dash to avoid enemy attacks
Increase your maximum energy to perform multiple jumps in air
Use PSYCHO-MODE to enter bullet time
Get high combo values to enter PSYCHO-MODE

BOSSES
Face powerful bosses with different movesets
Defeat them and collect their FINGERS to evolve your perks
Find clues to uncover the reason behind the Metaphysical Anomaly

Finally, somehow completely under the radar up to now, Hero of Fate is already quite a thing and then some with a free DLC Expansion on top of the rest of late---utilizing the clear and apparent power of "Rougue"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2332410/Hero_of_Fate/

quote:

Hero of Fate is a cool and smooth "rougue" game with "survivor" as the core gameplay, on the basic of traditional "survivor" gameplay, we added the multi careers partners and the great beast system to fight with you together. Each battles can carry up 4 teammates and a angel, so you can experience 5 times the fun of rougue in the game!
At the same time, you can also play as different characters, experience a variety of different professional skills, build your own unique team of partners, and survive under the surrounded monsters, and you can also defeat powerful boss by discovering fate, get a variety of random angels to fight with you, and finally defeat the big boss!

Free to choose the characters to fight in the game, experience 8 special skill elements (Thunder, Wind, Ice, Fire, Earth, Poison, Holy, Dark), free to mix and match combinations of many different attacking skills, each match has a different effect of the battle skills, every time each character you choose to enter the game is a brand new feeling, and you can see the rich in the elements of the Rogue, just enjoy the fun of smooth!

There are more than a variety of angels with different styles and skills, waiting for you to discover!
They can fight with you, add buff, and give you more functional play choices!
In short, those angels are very strong! Awesome! They can fight! Resistant! Also can support!
And the types of angels are also various and colorful, such as: "Earl from Hell, Boneroma

Who says Roguelite gameplay is all about farm?
Random fate system in game hides lots of surprises you can’t image.

Every choice is a new experience;

Each choice represents a different ending;

Every choice will let you feel the choice of fate!

You can survive, or die, or sad, or happy, everything is chose by your own!

Dear all warriors, how are you, I am the producer of "Heroes of Fate" Yui Yuzi, unconsciously, the game has been on sale for a month, thank you very much for your company, and this new video has received so much attention and encouragement, which is very touching for a small solo game producer!
In order to thank you for your support and affirmation, we bring you the new "Westland Winds and Clouds" free DLC content, super rich content.
The new content is as follows:
【New Level】
The new level "Western Chronicles" features a new map, new elements, and a large number of different types of monsters and bosses. 15 new types of mini-monsters and 11 new types of bosses and elites have been added.
Level Map

New Event Boss

New Event Boss
【New Event】
The DLC includes 20+ new events such as "Slave Girl", "Bad Water", "Misty Village Church", etc. for you to explore!

【A new career】
With this DLC we bring 2 brand new professions1、Enchantress
Background: Maixi Aarans Ekadel was born in the Faraya Kingdom in the far north, a desert city located on the continent of Barnum. However, because of the prolonged war between the countries of Barnum, Dancing Xi had to follow her grandfather and leave her home. Unfortunately ........

2、Druid
Background: Elena is a half-elf, her mother is an elf druid and her father is the mayor of the village of Watermist. Under her mother's tutelage, she also became an excellent druid. However .........

【New Guardian Spirit】
Contains two new guardian spirits with different abilities:1、Knight
A guardian spirit that can bring treasure chests to players~

2、Succubus
Enhance the number of player summons

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Spellbook Demonslayers will soon have... Not-Demifiend from Not-SMT3? :shrug:
^Not-Dante not featured

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This tracks with the Malice & Greed heritage~

Rest of the update sounds duly kickass as well, with any luck this'll be among the greatest covid comeback stories since Spirit Hunters.

Which also recent finally got a Turbo mode of sorts:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1914580/view/3690179419231978183?l=english

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Gunlocked: Who the gently caress thought this menu system was okay?????

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
In Nomad survival, do you really have to do the constant obnoxious turning to aim or is the game just piss-poor at explaining itself? Trash either way, but I'm curious.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That is the first character's main attack, not all of them are like that. The second character has an aura, later on you've got a rat archer for which you need to aim your attacks.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
So there's no way to separately control your facing direction or lock it in? That's probably enough for me to never give the game more than the 30 seconds I played it for. Inherently unfun in a survivors game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You can't change it, so if you don't have the patience to level and get other weapons as upgrades (and eventually unlock other characters), yeah, that's the end of the road for you.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 11, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

K8.0 posted:

So there's no way to separately control your facing direction or lock it in? That's probably enough for me to never give the game more than the 30 seconds I played it for. Inherently unfun in a survivors game.

It's literally how multiple characters work in Vampire Survivors.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Somehow I missed this late October HoloCure teaser. The dev pointed out the pumpkin is pretty misleading, it was not meant to be a Halloween-themed

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

Renfield has been one of my favorites, even with the lovely slow unlocks. I wish they made the characters' starting weapons comparable, though. Renfield's starting claw slash is so much better than the cop's pistol.

Check out the movie if you get the chance, too. Every power and most of the weapons are references to it.

I really liked the movie and am now retroactively sad that it flopped.

I also really like the game but keep running into an issue unlocking the gore golem; it seems like the elites in the endless mode gain super insane hp scaling after wave 30 so every round ends in me grinding away a hp sponge ive got pinned in the corner. then the boss at wave 48 just cant be killed in the time limit you have because of the hp scaling, and it takes like an hour to get to that point so after two losses at wave 48 im maybe gonna wait for a patch to try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

I really liked the movie and am now retroactively sad that it flopped.

I also really like the game but keep running into an issue unlocking the gore golem; it seems like the elites in the endless mode gain super insane hp scaling after wave 30 so every round ends in me grinding away a hp sponge ive got pinned in the corner. then the boss at wave 48 just cant be killed in the time limit you have because of the hp scaling, and it takes like an hour to get to that point so after two losses at wave 48 im maybe gonna wait for a patch to try again.
I keep having an issue with the bat's primary weapon just stopping working once it hits 10 but other than that loving it so far.

I've also been having a good time with Goobies. The progressions are a bit slow but the gameplay is very smooth. https://store.steampowered.com/app/2294130/Goobies/