Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, I was surprised to see that Nathan Fielder's actually one hell of a director! I figured it was done by a Safdie until the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha man that was a tense hour, but I enjoyed it and the music was really cool. For the first bit I was thinking it was gonna be like Review with Forrest MacNeill or Porkin Across America with Nathan just corrupting and destroying the hosts life, but looks like an already darker baseline with more complexity and problems with everyone else too. A more willfully slower burn, with less whimsical manic absurdity and more of the sick absurdity of reality from real world examples.

I was very surprised to look up the sleazy producer guy and see it was Benny Safdie. Don't think I've looked him up before to know his face and he really nailed that character. Skeeves me the hell out. All 3 of them are distinctly terrible and can only magnify the worst in one another.

Throwing in the piss tomatoes intermission was a good call, I was almost gonna pause to take a tension breather but they built it in. I was on guard for a completely different vibe so that whole bit got me good.

How many eps is this, wonder how much they will escelate

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

How many eps is this

ten

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Some of these situations kind of remind me of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but putting this show's aesthetic and music over it just gives themnd a different kind of uncomfortable vibe. Like, its hard to watch for an entirely different reason. Also Emma Stone is killing it in this and kind of making Nathan really look like an amateur hah. He's still good though, she's just doing an amazing job.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mordja posted:

Is the first episode gonna be the only hour long one? I know some shows do that.

IMDB claims that it's a 30 minute show, so I guess.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

Some of these situations kind of remind me of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but putting this show's aesthetic and music over it just gives themnd a different kind of uncomfortable vibe. Like, its hard to watch for an entirely different reason. Also Emma Stone is killing it in this and kind of making Nathan really look like an amateur hah. He's still good though, she's just doing an amazing job.

I have to think this was intentional casting. Even in the show within a show, she's clearly the more charismatic personality that people would be tuning in for. Asher seems to be creating all of their problems without contributing much of anything. Her considering why she's even with him is probably going to be a major plot point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Co-creator and co-star Safdie told GQ that the show evolved into something more serious than originally planned. “It started out as a 30-minute comedy and became an hour-long comedy-drama,” he said in a July 18 profile.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think she's truly charismatic, it's a hollow performance especially when cameras rolling. Not quite Nathan in a v neck with a van of advisors but ultimately the same end product goal. I do think why they are together will be a thing but I think it'll go both ways. Praising-seeking nepo baby gentrifying slumlord and the malformed golem of a person attempting to appear like a human into philanthropic efforts.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Kinda creeps me out that Nathan's "HGTV persona" when shooting scenes for the show is the same way he talks and acts in Nathan for you. Is that all a character? Who actually is Nathan?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The burn victim bachelor was almost too believable

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Harminoff posted:

Who actually is Nathan?

This is a rabbit hole you might want to explore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iavoSO6lOLQ

It's a really giod video.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Harminoff posted:

Kinda creeps me out that Nathan's "HGTV persona" when shooting scenes for the show is the same way he talks and acts in Nathan for you. Is that all a character? Who actually is Nathan?

A friend of mine saw him do stand up once. After the show she saw him standing quietly on the side of the road with a backpack, presumably waiting for his ride to come pick him up.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

im finding The Curse deeply uncomfortable, in a new way, in a way tv can't usually do

incredible; astonishing
this is the best thing i've had to pause for a while halfway thru for a breather

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Harminoff posted:

Occam's razor my man. He's a brilliant writer/performer who probably has social anxiety that he learned to lean into for his shows because it makes for a better story.

I don't think he's gone full Jim Carrey. There's a doc on him from 'Man on the Moon' era that really gives you the sense that Carrey very consciously sculpted his 90's comedy persona to the point that he's not sure where "who he used to be" starts and "what he decided to be" ends. It's like a high person how much of their persona is self-actualized vs. who they've always been. & at least from that documentary you get a sense Carrey is a bit lost between that in a bad way. Like a method actor who's spent so long in character that they don't really remember who they originally were.

I assume Fielder is a bit more "normal" than the shows suggest, simply because:

1. While he's doing fun psychological poo poo nowadays, you don't hear gossip/news about him outside of the show, and
2. He shows up in enough stuff that people clearly like working with and for him.

Tommy Wiseau made a wild thing, but you can tell he's actually crazy/an rear end because he did a couple things with people in the LA comedy scene and then never again.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

He had a role in The Disaster Artist. He's obviously interested in blurry on and off screen personas. The John Wilson bread behind the scenes makes it clear that it's a joke. Not only the what if Nathan for You but a creep, there's the stolen shot when 'Nathan' doesn't know he's being filmed and takes a gun out of his jacket and lays it on the table.

cant cook creole bream posted:

This is a rabbit hole you might want to explore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iavoSO6lOLQ

It's a really giod video.

No mention of Jon Benjamin Has a Van--Nathan has the deadpan gimmick, but it's not the 'Nathan' character.
There's also an episode of it where a curse causes a TV production to go wrong, but it's sketch comedy rather than anything from the Nathanverse
perhaps nws, but appropriate for The Curse

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOl6PO5t6gc
my favorite early nathan video...
the smirk is some snake in the grass poo poo.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

disappointed that Nathan didn't hang real dong

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Pretty good first episode and I'm excited to see where this show goes. I really liked the shot in the kitchen where Asher was talking to Whitney through the mirror and the shot at the end through the keyhole where they are talking.

Part of me misses Nathan doing the comedy of Nathan for You but he can do tense scenes well too. I appreciate that he does still add some humor to his shows through keeping awkward moments and the ideas like Dougie's. The burn victim reality show that Dougie made was something straight out of 2000s reality TV and would have been a great lead into Extreme Makeover.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Aye Doc posted:

disappointed that Nathan didn't hang real dong

Says who?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nathan could make a great horror movie, based on the scene with the tomatoes. The atmosphere was so foreboding.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I really hope Nathan links up with Matt Johnson at some point - it's become obvious they have really similar stylistic sensibilities

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

our names are Matt and Jay and we graduated from one of Ontario's top music schools with really good grades. now we're using our knowledge to help struggling small music venues make it in this competitive world

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
New Wii titles!

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
i'm going to buy a theatre's worth of tickets when nirvanna the band the movie comes out in the vain attempt to hasten the release of season 3

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

demostars posted:

i'm going to buy a theatre's worth of tickets when nirvanna the band the movie

Oh poo poo, first I'm hearing of this.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
by the way, in case anyone ever wants to watch a secret episode of ntbts that i I've literally never seen discussed by fans of the show: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14180628/

i only found this episode because i was watching this is pop randomly and lost my poo poo when i saw jay show up (and i later found out jared directed)

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
worth it just for the clip where Jay turns to the camera and says "It's Britney bitch."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

The scene with the actual cursing was straight out of Curb.

veni veni veni posted:

The burn victim bachelor was almost too believable

The song they played was such a perfect example of that specific subgenre that seems to only exist in modern network trailers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

As someone who watches and enjoys Love Is Blind and Married At First Sight, I would absolutely love Love to the 3rd Degree.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The scene with Steven oh my god

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something about the curse scene itself didn’t vibe for me, we hadn’t seen anything that would cement that as being part of Nathan’s character. So many ways to have avoided it, but he took the most dickish one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Emma Stone being shocked and concerned over him giving out a hundo helped a little, they're both cheap, but she valued rep more and respected the curse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Wonder if we're gonna get any background as to why the vibrator is named "Steven."

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wonder if we're gonna get any background as to why the vibrator is named "Steven."

I’m getting real “I don’t like to imagine other dudes loving my wife” vibes from this post.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cherry tomato boys already know

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Twigand Berries posted:

I’m getting real “I don’t like to imagine other dudes loving my wife” vibes from this post.

I just want to know if she's imagining a specific guy!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s a Fabelman’s reference.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Who is Fableman?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Emma Stone being shocked and concerned over him giving out a hundo helped a little, they're both cheap, but she valued rep more and respected the curse.

Maybe I need to go back, but I thought she wasn't being cheap. I got a solid laugh out of the idea that she was worried about how much money he'd spent, but instead of sharing Asher's concerns that it was too high it turned out that she was worried that he hadn't been sufficiently performative.

Edit: nevermind, I went back and checked and it's impossible to tell. She's just pissed and concerned.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

EL BROMANCE posted:

Something about the curse scene itself didn’t vibe for me, we hadn’t seen anything that would cement that as being part of Nathan’s character. So many ways to have avoided it, but he took the most dickish one.

It was an intentionally dense and difficult scene that was intended to convey all of his worst attributes in a dramatic way in a relatively short time. His hesitance at seeing what was in his wallet, his balking at the ATM fee, all of that was intended to convey in a very short time that despite their confident presentation to the HGTV show, he was overleveraged and non-liquid, as well as being petty and self-absorbed enough to think he could pull off taking money from a hopeful child while maintaining their reality-show reputation.

The "curse" itself may or may not be real, but the overall thrust of the series may be that the "curse" is the need to be successful, or to appear successful, or just capitalism itself, and no matter how you slice it this is a pivotal scene in establishing the actual relationship between these people and the world around them.