Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Interesting, no idea how feasible it would be but I'd love a hollow drill or spike that could put fire directly into the middle of a bot.

I assume they probably wouldn't allow any sort of fire for a pulverizer attachment since fire damaging the glass is at least one of the main reasons they put the sneeze guards all around the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Here is the schedule for NHRL finals this weekend:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...570&single=true

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nodoze posted:

Jamison Go has 3 #1 seeds. Wow. He's gonna be kinda busy that day!

e: oh and a 20 seed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nodoze posted:

Should be a fun event. They are also doing the million dollars in STEM charity grant money again this year. Although seems a lot of stipulations on the grant money and none of the charities that got the top 3 winners prizes last year are eligible this year.

That chat for the stream will probably be very busy with the 3 Brazil teams competing (Team Minotaur, Black Dragon, and also Chibata, whose captain has 3 million subscribers on YouTube)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sawblaze lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
End Game-Free Shipping: Well I guess Free Shipping put up a bit more of a fight than I expected. It actually got under End Game a couple times there, which I would think would worry the End Game guys.

Sawblaze-Shreddit Bro: Another battery for Sawblaze's trophy case. Maybe the smokiest one yet.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where Shreddit Bro wins that fight. Complete radio failure for Sawblaze? Jamison Go suffers a massive stroke in the middle of the match?

Whiplash-Jackpot: Finally an interesting matchup.

Can Matt Vasquez win a fight without any weapon at all? poo poo, almost. Really interesting strategy from Jackpot to just run away for a lot of the fight. It did kinda neutralize Whiplash for the first half.

Tantrum-Ripperoni: Uh, interesting strategy from Ripperoni in the pre-fight interview. "We're gonna drive onto the top of them" Alright ....

lol wheel flew off

Tantrum pulling a Ripperoni strat of just circling, circling, circling. Really smart driving from Tantrum here; just tip them over and watch them fly around.

Pretty boring results from the first round. All former champs advance, only tournament winner left is Jackpot. The only two real contenders outt of the tournament winners had catastrophic malfunctions early -- having to run 3 more fights than their opponents probably had something to do with it.

Tantrum-Sawblaze: Tegris armor is an interesting idea. I wouldn't think it would work, but what do I know?

Go eventually got through it, but it took a lot more shots than I thought it would.

:lol: what a dumb ending. I hope Sawblaze survived that because Tantrum is going to get taken the gently caress apart by End Game, that'll be no final at all.

I don't think I can recall a "saved by the bell" fight in Battlebots before. It definitely looked like like the ref was a bit behind the clock on the countdown.

Did they remove appeals from the ruleset for the Golden Bolt? 2 split decisions and no mention of them.

Jackpot-End Game: Fingers crossed for the underdog here. Don't have high hopes though.

Oh no, Ace!

Yeahhhhhhhhh, yeah

End Game-Sawblaze: Go has an excuse for the last fight that they were trying to "swat away" End Game's forks. :wtf:

I want Sawblaze to win just because of these stupid forks.

Some dude who made some really weird robots was the first hall of famer?

Eh. Tough fight there, but End Game won it pretty handily.

Shocked at a split decision even if it was the dumbest judge voting for Sawblaze.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Shocked at a split decision even if it was the dumbest judge voting for Sawblaze.

I'm sorry that you don't appreciate the Something Awful sponsored judge, Derek Young.

But I love how I knew immediately how every split decision in this episode would go based on his vote.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

When they said it was a split decision on that last fight Jamison Go's "What?!" was pretty hilarious. He did not expect to even get one judge.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Goddamn that was some quality robot fightin'. Big congratz to MikeNCR and everyone involved

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Very good round of fights.

Is too bad Ripperoni lost it's wheel right away, pretty tough being a rookie bot and doing 9 fights in a couple weeks. Rookie teams are very unlikely to have enough parts for that.

I could actually see the believability for Sawblaze & Endgame being a split decision, Endgame did lose one of their forks in the fight and one of Sawblaze's forks got bent in the fight.

The format puts such a huge advantage towards the giant nut winners, it's not really a surprise they are the ones getting through the tournament.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I really appreciated Matty Vasquez's fight because he immediately knew it was a lost match but he drove like a king anyway. There were many bad matches in this ep and it ended rather boringly for me as yet again a good bot failed to come up with a convincing answer to End Game. They can be beaten if you can catch them out but if you can't, you have to have a better strategy. What that is, no one knows yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone tried spoons, that might do it

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ewe2 posted:

I really appreciated Matty Vasquez's fight because he immediately knew it was a lost match but he drove like a king anyway. There were many bad matches in this ep and it ended rather boringly for me as yet again a good bot failed to come up with a convincing answer to End Game. They can be beaten if you can catch them out but if you can't, you have to have a better strategy. What that is, no one knows yet.

The actual weird bit of the whole deal is that Jamison Go didn't have a strategy planned for Endgame. Jamison Go is usually pretty big on having gameplans for his opponents.

While Endgame went and had a full configuration made just for Sawblaze (and I guess other overhead attacking bots). Can't really understate their gameplan with changing out their aluminum bot for magnesium so they could run that full steel top plate.

The format of the Golden Bolt kind of leads to having some lopsided matches. 3 giant nut winners going up against 5 bots that couldn't get past the round of 16 in the main championship and had to fight 3 fights to earn their spot in the tournament. Clearly just a massive advantage to the 3 nut winners.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The format of the Golden Bolt kind of leads to having some lopsided matches. 3 giant nut winners going up against 5 bots that couldn't get past the round of 16 in the main championship and had to fight 3 fights to earn their spot in the tournament. Clearly just a massive advantage to the 3 nut winners.

Yeah, the two bots that I think could upset nut winners immediately had catastrophic breaks right out the gate, most likely from all the cumulative damage. Ripperoni's captain said it was the last one they had, which probably indicates all the remaining parts they had (likely even some busted poo poo) were in that robot.

ewe2 posted:

Him drat-near getting Jackpot high-centered without a lifter was mighty impressive.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Not sure how public they want it to be, so not going to directly link.

NHRL has the full fight schedules for the opening rounds linked in their discord. Instead of directly linking, here's photos. 90 fights over 7 hours, just to get to the tournament bracket.

3LB

12LB

30LB

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Is that not just a pretty version of what was posted a few days ago?

Nodoze posted:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's a pretty version, but also all 3 rounds schedule and the actual google docs page should be updated during the event (again though don't know if they want it linked so you gotta do that step).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I didn't think it would be an issue, but thanks for posting the images.

Stream is about to go up, first fight is Lil Rip vs Emulsifier. Unfortunately I am not there today, so I am watching at home cheering my friends on :( We want Minor Threat 5, Puca, Droopy, Supreme Ruler, Monkfish and Eva to do well :love:

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 11, 2023

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Enjoying the stream so far!

Hope they get the audio synced back up!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Enjoying the stream so far!

Hope they get the audio synced back up!

Should be fixed now, I think

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nodoze posted:

Should be fixed now, I think
Yeah they got it :)

Really entertaining so far. Though I have been blocking about a billion Brazilian fans just because I don't speak Portuguese and they're so enthusiastic. I think it's awesome, I just found it made the other chats hard to follow.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 11, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah they got it :)

Really entertaining so far. Though I have been blocking about a billion Brazilian fans just because I don't speak Portuguese and they're so enthusiastic. I think it's awesome, I just found it made the other chats hard to follow.

Chrome at least will translate the chat to English. Not sure how other browsers can handle it. Also Rip to Lil Rip :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Chrome at least will translate the chat to English. Not sure how other browsers can handle it. Also Rip to Lil Rip :(
I'm just in the YouTube app on my phone and/or fire TV. Neither is doing it. Oh well!

Ricky winning all the style points.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

Tantrum-Sawblaze: Tegris armor is an interesting idea. I wouldn't think it would work, but what do I know?

Go eventually got through it, but it took a lot more shots than I thought it would.

:lol: what a dumb ending. I hope Sawblaze survived that because Tantrum is going to get taken the gently caress apart by End Game, that'll be no final at all.

I don't think I can recall a "saved by the bell" fight in Battlebots before. It definitely looked like like the ref was a bit behind the clock on the countdown.

Did they remove appeals from the ruleset for the Golden Bolt? 2 split decisions and no mention of them.

According to Tantrum, they did appeal, but I guess it got cut out of filming because it's not interesting or relevant or doesn't tie into their TV narrative.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

According to Tantrum, they did appeal, but I guess it got cut out of filming because it's not interesting or relevant or doesn't tie into their TV narrative.

I wonder if the rules allow appealing of the countout. People on twitter were saying the ref started the 10-second countdown at 11 seconds but ended just after the buzzer.

They might want that handled by an actual timer going forward if that's the case. Give the ref a big button that starts it and turns all the lights red.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Still watching the NHRL stream, that KO on Waddles. Good lord.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NHRL championships are on again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqgrigHtMI4

Kevin Milczewski used Red Storm to do yet another new thing, he flipped the house bot to KO his opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqgrigHtMI4&t=1000s

it looks like they had to fix the housebot, not used to being upside down.

Hosts incapable of calling Lil Rip by its actual name and only remember occasionally that its not the 250lb bot.

Lots of bot stuff, I'm still going through it.

edit: silent spring got schooled! wow. Jameson looked actually angry.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 12, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I've never seen the guy look like that before, even when he loses he looks happy normally, but that? He kind of looked furious. It almost felt like he stormed off.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Not sure what's going on with Jamison Go there. But it's been a long day and he still has / had 2 bots getting ready for their finals. So I suspect he was less upset and more tired & wanting to get back to the pits ASAP.

Also maybe he got in his own head on being able to win all 3 weight classes.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

He was barely able to move under his own power the entire match, understandable that he'd be less than thrilled about it. That and it's been a long, stressful, high stakes day for him.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Loving that Full Court and Supreme Ruler are just winning by being so meta breaking no one knows what to do with them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea the meta breaking bots are fun. YouTube chat is upset over Full Court winning, but it won the rules game.

I think it should change in 2024, but NHRL's definition of an active weapon is just... "An active weapon is defined as a weapon or mechanism that operates independently from the robot’s drivetrain or means of locomotion."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

As someone put it "no one complained about 5 years of verts wtf" And what was an eggbeater going to do against that bot, it was a pretty even fight, it was really good driving. Just saw Emulsifier brutally put MegatRON down, leaving Go with just one last bot. The meta has not been kind!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Goddamn

Supreme Ruler disqualified?!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol Full Court, what is this bullshit

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So Jeff had been interviewed earlier and he had said some pretty fighting words about how unfair the refs were about his bot etc. I don't know if it stems from that but he may have gone further later in the pits. We don't know. He's been banned from the discord and all future NHRL events and unless they spell out exactly what happened, its useless to speculate.

edit: but I will put this opinion out there because this was the justification, that someone on Supreme Rulers team made a NHRL team member feel unsafe.

To which someone on the discord opines: "I want to believe NHRL, but seriously? Your staff have been openly saying his bot is the ruination of the sport on camera for not one but two straight events and the moment hes about to fight in a championship fight we get a "someone on his team made someone feel unsafe" removal of the entire team? Thats crazy sus guys"

The announcers were definitely talking up major changes to the rules during the broadcast making none too subtle hints that meta-breaking bots like Supreme Ruler were part of the "problem" with the current rules. Again, one cannot speculate, but if the guy flew off the handle, he was an easy target to DQ which is perhaps what some in NHRL wanted.

edit edit: there was more in the discord but it got deleted before i could copy. Apparently there was definitely ref fuckery going on, Jeff was being handed with demerits based on misinterpretations of the rules which later had to be reversed, this happened several times. They didn't get specific but it looks like they've used a heated argument about this situation to DQ him which is incredibly disappointing. Anyway lawyers are allegedly involved now.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 12, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but the minibots suck in NHRL. Between the minibots, the house bots, and the two actual opponents, there's just too much poo poo going on. So many teams seem to have them that you get like 2 matches going on at once with the minibot fighting an irrelevant shoving match off to the side. And it's all in these tiny arenas too.

Like what's happening in this fight for example? It's just a mess.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 12, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I like the minibots, they give a certain unpredictability to the sport. And they are not insignificant as damage to the minibots counts against the judges scorecards. So the minibots are not expendable decorations like they are in Battlebots.

Although the speculation on what happened with Jeff Waters / Supreme Ruler getting disqualified before the finals seems pretty toxic for NHRL at the moment. Hope they can clear it all up in the coming days. He did an interesting and telling interview during the stream about the refs having it out for their team though prior.

Possibly also related to Jamison Go's attitude after losing to them way earlier?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Although the speculation on what happened with Jeff Waters / Supreme Ruler getting disqualified before the finals seems pretty toxic for NHRL at the moment. Hope they can clear it all up in the coming days. He did an interesting and telling interview during the stream about the refs having it out for their team though prior.

Possibly also related to Jamison Go's attitude after losing to them way earlier?
Uh yeah it was getting bad even on the chat. Apparently this is from Austin McCord -

"I just wanted to provide some clarity on the end of our 3lb bracket. We unfortunately had to DQ Supreme Ruler because a member of their team made a member of our staff feel unsafe. This decision was unrelated to match rules or bot driving conduct. A welcoming environment for everyone, sportsmanship and competing as friends is the key to everything we have built at NHRL. The decision was clear I needed to disqualify the team and ask them to leave. I understand tempers get heated and people have a bad night. Supreme Ruler is an amazing robot we really do hope they compete at NHRL again sometime in the future."

and

"Today at 11:54 PM Folks seem to want more clarity here: This was not a tough call by any means. It was clear their tone and actions were well over the line of sportsmanlike behavior and it took other members of the team to calm them down. I told them them that sportsmanlike behavior is essential to what we are building at NHRL. With that in mind I gave them the option to fight Booty Brigade for no winnings, just for fun. They declined."

Reposted from a Reddit comment, so take that for what it's worth. This definitely doesn't jibe with a permanent ban so .... :shrug:

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That last comment is verbatim from the discord so its accurate. That also sounds better than what was first reported which was a total ban from all future NHRL events. However the whole thing is still not going down very well with many people and a lot of positive PR work will have to be done.