Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So here's a little bit of Clementine Cherie, circa 1955-59 by the copyright dates in my book.

My copy looks like this (photo, not a scan, so the top is a little out of focus, sorry)

But these are apparently original art panels I found on an auction site just now. These specifically appear to be from a French collection entitled "Clementine en Vacace." I'll add the English-translated captions from my book. I have no idea how accurate they are to the original gags, but they look right, at least:

"You think maybe black and white is too conservative for me?"

"A big girl like you ought to change in the bath house."

"You're not the first to take me for Clementine's sister!"

"Why don't you two come out of that stuffy place and have some fun?"

"In some ways, your father is still a little boy."

"Do you accept traveler's checks?"

"George! You're so romantic!"

"Vacation's over, Clementine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I HOPE YOU LIKE BABIES feat. Special Guest :catdrugs:

Yeah I'd Shop Here

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This one actually remonates. I was a favorite jungle gym of the younger kids at my Sunday school.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Hostile V posted:

I HOPE YOU LIKE BABIES feat. Special Guest :catdrugs:
\

\

So they're recruiting this guy because he grew his own weed in high school?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Endless Mike posted:

It's what's her name, the hippie roommate. Des?

lmao I thought it was gunthers mom, and I don't follow this closely enough to know if I ought to expect gunthers mom at this party or not.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Zereth posted:

I'll admit I don't follow this comic closely but right up until Bets was planning to surprise Gunther like this I didn't realize they hadn't actually broken up.

Them showing up holding hands like they did is kinda odd if they're not on a date, though.

They. Where. Merely. Exchanging. Long. Protein. Strings!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

hexwren posted:

So here's a little bit of Clementine Cherie, circa 1955-59 by the copyright dates in my book.

I love it. Any chance you could include the French text, if it's there to scan/copy?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 08, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Must be made by Elon Musk or something.

(a cottage axe isn't like a specific thing or anything. A lot of people in Finland just have summer cottages, and very few of them have electricity* so going to the summer cottage means chopping a lot of wood)

* more now that solar power is a thing. Buying a 3000 euro solar panel system is a lot more manageable than getting the municipality to install power lines to your cottage in the boondocks.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

For a short while someone was posting Mark Trail from the beginning. It wasn't hugely popular with the thread and maybe that's why they stopped, but I liked it. The biggest reason I liked it was that Cherry was a brassy lady who would actively participate in adventures along with Mark. The strip was sexist and outdated like anything from that era would be, but at least Cherry got to do things outside of arguing with the garden society lady about begonias or hat decorations or whatever. I feel like her first appearance was giving Mark the business because he attacked her pet bear.

This is also how I remember early Mark Trail and I gotta be honest, when you juxtapose them like that, it's kind of hard to really compartmentalize original flavor Mark Trail as being the more sexist of the two.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

Must be made by Elon Musk or something.

(a cottage axe isn't like a specific thing or anything. A lot of people in Finland just have summer cottages, and very few of them have electricity* so going to the summer cottage means chopping a lot of wood)

* more now that solar power is a thing. Buying a 3000 euro solar panel system is a lot more manageable than getting the municipality to install power lines to your cottage in the boondocks.

They installed power a few years ago to my parents cottage, so they installed an air-air heat pump. So now they got AC (because these things can cool as easily as warm) at the cottage but not at home and when it gets too hot in summer, as summers are nowadays, they leave for the cottage to cool down. Likewise I have a heatpump in my garage to keep it warm over winter, and I found out it has AC so now I can chill in my garage if my house gets too hot. Feels kinda ludicrous.

Also accept only Billnäs axes no substitutes :mad:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Woapalanne posted:

I love it. Any chance you could include the French text, if it's there to scan/copy?

there isn't, else I'd have included it for comparison

however, if you dig around on some image searches as i did, there were some rough sketches and the like that did have the punchlines included in a very scribbly hand, if you wanted to take a run at those

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Really curious as to the author's elaborate thoughts on taxation here.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

hexwren posted:

did you miss some zeroes or can I not count? is that only 294 billion, or am I hallucinating?

Yes, sorry. It was late and I mistyped. It should have read '$9 trillion in 1907 is $294,691,595,744,680.81 today '

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 20, 1960)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
A Mild Surprise.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/10/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 1/20/52

Smokey Stover 12/1/57

Everyday Movies 12/14/36

"I told her about Santa Claus as I thought it better for her to hear it from me than the kids in the streets."

My Lovely Horse posted:

Swear to god if the djinn is real I am going to lose my entire poo poo

Ah, if only.

Boo. Booooooo. BOOOOOOO. 7/19/42

Boo this man.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This is the weekend story, right? For a second I thought the author was really determined to deny Scarlet and Red meeting back up. also booooooooooooo

Jucika "376 - Jucika's Shopping"

"377 - Jucika And The Presents"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Zereth posted:

We might still be in the "stuff made to pitch it to the syndicates" phase like the first monthish of new Trail was. Remember how that had a sudden massive drop in art quality? It's still too early to say how it's going to shake out long term.

It is a very strong showing so far, though.

Well, from what I've seen of Schkade's other work, I don't think that's going to be a problem.

Clementine... Well, it's certainly as horny as Jucika. Though I wouldn't say it is as charming (yet).

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

thisusedyet posted:

So they're recruiting this guy because he grew his own weed in high school?

Funny thing is that this isn’t too detached from reality. Sometimes people who get into growing weed for the weed learn that they enjoy the growing process and wind up with some pretty great gardening skills.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i like Clementine. she and jucika would be friends.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
While we brace for the inevitable "ARE TROOPS" avalanche, let's go and see what the veteran kooks over at Ballard Street has been up to.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Samovar posted:

So, with the end of the year approaching, I was thinking about re-posting Corto and Blueberry from the beginning (my probing of Buddy Longway as an alternative translation project making me feel... A bit uneasy re. representation of Native Americans, more so than Blueberry!)

Would that be cool with folk, or should I just let them be?

I love Blueberry, and would gladly read it all again. The artwork is stunning, particularly the attention to character detail, and the translation was excellent. Kinda miss them all. The chief clue that this was written by a non-American of the period is that the First Peoples are at least the equals, and in matters of the land far more wise, than those that came (& usurped) later.

BigglesSWE posted:

While we brace for the inevitable "ARE TROOPS" avalanche, let's go and see what the veteran kooks over at Ballard Street has been up to

The hamster racing logo on the blazer slays me

Powered Descent posted:

Would the General Lee have had an in-cabin trunk release control? I was under the impression those didn't get widespread until sometime in the 80s.

Probably not, but my '74 Plymouth Fury III had an electric trunk release button in the glove compartment <trap sprung>

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 11, 2023

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Truly the Demons are capable of anything.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (November 13, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (January 24-26, 1935)

Thimble Theater, in which Toar might not be as dumb as he thinks he is. (June 15, 1940)

Out Our Way (April 15-17, 1943)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Boo this man.

But... but that doesn't even make sense! Most of the dream wasn't even from his perspective, and it depended on things (like Scarlet's invisibility) that he doesn't know about!

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (April 15-17, 1943)

That's a nice little planer. I really like how good he is at accurately drawing these machines. I wish I had one of those in my shop sometimes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BigglesSWE posted:

While we brace for the inevitable "ARE TROOPS" avalanche, let's go and see what the veteran kooks over at Ballard Street has been up to.

Power to you, Ted.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Powered Descent posted:

But... but that doesn't even make sense! Most of the dream wasn't even from his perspective, and it depended on things (like Scarlet's invisibility) that he doesn't know about!

Friend, the whole comic was a dream, not just this part with the genie. There was never any invisible Scarlet. This tyke dreamed the whole thing from start to finish. What an ending to this comic!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Boo this man.

Are you loving kidding me.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I admire you, Ted.

Saoshyant posted:

Friend, the whole comic was a dream, not just this part with the genie. There was never any invisible Scarlet. This tyke dreamed the whole thing from start to finish. What an ending to this comic!
The ole St Elsewhere ending.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Hey, what's this on my door...a no-contact order!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah, this is roughly what I figured - Aura panicked and lied because she was worried about the other rebellion leaders turning on her as Ming's daughter, ending up creating a worse situation when she couldn't produce Barin. The part I didn't expect is that she has solid reason to suspect he's alive, but she still handled it in a really bad way, because I don't think she's getting him back in a week for a wedding, and the lies make it much more likely that the others, including Barin's cousin, are going to be pissed at her.

Girlbossed too close to the sun.

EDIT: I'm also assuming Aura and Barin made plans to get married after Ming died before he got captured by Ming, since nobody is surprised at the wedding, just surprised they haven't seen Barin yet.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 11, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/14/51

Archie 9/13-15/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 9/30/51

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Back in town, time for a Lockhorns catchup:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Sally, your mother doesn't want to be there. You don't want her there. You do not need to spend time with people who actively hate you.

You're not wrong but they literally showed up holding hands, and did not stop holding hands for like 4 or 5 straight strips, and have not left each others side for a single second the whole time they've been at the party, while loudly insisting to all and sundry "WE ARE NOT DATING'. They have no one but themselves to blame.

Shockingly they were only shown holding hands for exactly one panel, in the same strip where Bets is telling Tiff she's coming to surprise Gunther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits