Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Xelkelvos posted:

The Loon is a bit too much like a sports team logo, but I do like the violet, gold and cyan tricolor

and the sports team in question's logo already blows all the flags out of the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Mnufc? Mnufc. Mnufc!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

This flag (F1839) is a lovely composition. The red, blue, and yellow are easily distinguished from afar.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

The best one is the one that is just the phrase "Uff Da!"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tnega posted:

This flag (F1839) is a lovely composition. The red, blue, and yellow are easily distinguished from afar.

Fargo Boogie Woogie by Piet Mondriaan

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ngl most of these crowdsourced flags make me appreciate the

STATE NAME

SEAL

18WHATEVERS

more. Not everyone can carry out the noble duties of the vexillologist it seems

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I dunno, the state seal on blue is boring and cluttered and practically the same in half the united states, even a bad design is better. Basically, if they aren't literal kids drawings or loving paintings, they're better.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

For example: this is a terrible flag, but it's better than crap on blue.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BonHair posted:

Basically, if they aren't literal kids drawings or loving paintings, they're better.

Kids drawings and paintings would definitely be better

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want to see one that isn’t rectangular, like Nepal’s flag. Except that this one would be in the shape of the Great State of Minnesota.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

I dunno, the state seal on blue is boring and cluttered and practically the same in half the united states, even a bad design is better. Basically, if they aren't literal kids drawings or loving paintings, they're better.

There's no law saying a child's drawing can't be a flag

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Platystemon posted:

I want to see one that isn’t rectangular, like Nepal’s flag. Except that this one would be in the shape of the Great State of Minnesota.

Oh god, now I want to see this for every state.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

Oh god, now I want to see this for every state.

How the hell would you even begin to fly the NY flag?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Natty Ninefingers posted:

How the hell would you even begin to fly the NY flag?

Connect the outer boroughs to Manhattan by correctly colored subway lines

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Hawaii is a series of kites.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Tnega posted:

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

they should use the blue/yellow/red rectangles from riverside plaza

hot dog someone DID do it

combine it with the north star cross shape and you've gold

the vertical version may be a bit evangelion-y but whatever

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The flag proposals featuring photographs of the derived merchandise are a nightmare.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
https://twitter.com/bbierschbach/status/1727139638043967951

Honestly, the six finalists make me appreciate the North Star proposal more. I was kind of "eh, it'll do, I guess" about it when I thought it was the inevitable winner, but comparing it to these? Jesus.

It's probably going to be SOME variation of the eight-pointed star, which means instead of a bland blue field with an overly complex state flag on it we've got a bland blue field with a credit union logo on it. Which is an improvement in only the most technical sense of the word.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
1154 has my vote for least poo poo among poo poo.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
1953 and it’s not even a contest.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

galagazombie posted:

1953 and it’s not even a contest.

the subtle state outline wins it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

the subtle state outline wins it

Cut away the stripey bit and I’m in.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Any of those would be a huge improvement on the current Minnesota flag...

...which commits multiple vexillological sins. Generic "seal on a blue field", words all over it, and WAY too much fiddly detail.

Unfortunately the finalists (non-Twitter rehosted)...

...aren't particularly good. 1953 and 1154 are the best of the lot, I think, followed by 29 and then 1435. 2100 isn't a flag, it's a generic corporate logo. And at the bottom of the pile, 944's motif of the river and the Milky Way (I think?) is just too cute and will look VERY dated, very soon (over the typical lifetime of a state flag).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

1953 is a Texas flag ripoff, derivative as hell

All of the choices are bad enough that I'd say they should keep the one they have now and go back to the drawing board

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No loon no deal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think any of these finalist flags are very iconic to Minnesota as a whole, none of them really seem very iconic in their own right or have all that much symbolism to the land of lakes.

They're inoffensive enough that flag nerds will be happy, and maybe over time the Minnesotans will grow into one of these as a symbol.

Badger of Basra posted:

All of the choices are bad enough that I'd say they should keep the one they have now and go back to the drawing board

There's a lot of nice looking Texas ripoff flags out there though. That flag gives at least some nice colors to play around with. That or the squiggle flag would really stand out among other flags at least. The squiggle is a very neat visualization of a river.

But I don't think Minnesota is known for rivers. They're known for their lakes.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

bring back the CA flag ripoff with a giant mosquito

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
If 29 doesn't win, it can always become the new NATO flag.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bring back the CA flag ripoff with a giant mosquito

I appreciate a winter-associated state reminding the world that for the other half of the year it's sweaty bug hell

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

they all look like rear end

flags should be simple

there should be no wavy lines or complicated snowflakes

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

29 is far and away my favorite but yeah I'm not wild about any of these.

IMO most flag nerds take the "needs to be so simple a child could draw it" too far -- it's not that an idiot needs to get it perfect, it's that an idiot needs to be able to get it close enough that it's not confused with anything else. That's where the seals-on-fields state flags fail hardest, I think. Leaning too far into simplicity results in a bunch of, as another poster put it, credit union logos

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ninjahedgehog posted:

29 is far and away my favorite but yeah I'm not wild about any of these.

IMO most flag nerds take the "needs to be so simple a child could draw it" too far -- it's not that an idiot needs to get it perfect, it's that an idiot needs to be able to get it close enough that it's not confused with anything else. That's where the seals-on-fields state flags fail hardest, I think. Leaning too far into simplicity results in a bunch of, as another poster put it, credit union logos

Also, we're not piloting lines of tallships anymore. I don't think identification at a glance from a mile away needs to be the number one priority even for countries, let alone US states. The swooshy one is just ugly, but the others are...fine. There's too many states for every one to get a truly great flag without a bunch being, like, Denmark but sideways.

Edit: I keep forgetting about the bottom left one every time I take my eyes off it, but it sucks too.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 22, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All of them look like they are derived from the thin blue line flag. Awful color scheme, just absolutely dire.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Also, we're not piloting lines of tallships anymore. I don't think identification at a glance from a mile away needs to be the number one priority even for countries, let alone US states.

Not from a mile away, no, though a lot of flag use is through tiny emojis these days. Unicode mostly still hasn't been bullied into including regional flags yet, but who knows what may come

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I have a perfect suggestion for US flags: They get updated every ten years with the census, made to match the top three dominant (non-US American) ancestries of the people living there. Minnesota would be English, German, and Norwegian, New York Dominican, Irish and Italian.

The classics, with a twist.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I really like that suggestion, only issue I see is that half of the states would be German, German, and German

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I really like that suggestion, only issue I see is that half of the states would be German, German, and German
Germany has got a lot of flags to choose from, so it's not that bad.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I have a perfect suggestion for US flags: They get updated every ten years with the census, made to match the top three dominant (non-US American) ancestries of the people living there. Minnesota would be English, German, and Norwegian, New York Dominican, Irish and Italian.

The classics, with a twist.

What if the flag of the ancestral homeland no longer exists? eg people from the USSR.

What about a diaspora that doesn't identify with it's nation state of origin? Say Syrian refugees.

What if a flag is updated between censuses? Say Iraq changes it's flag for the nth time, would you wait until the next census to update it? Would you update it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I promise you everyone from the USSR in the USA has an ancestral flag, both sickle and hammer and regular versions, that they don't worry about