Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Taear posted:

More scavenger's reign stuff!
I don't know why you think the space cult is linked to the planet. They felt pretty Catholic to me, down to the big stained glass window and golden front of the ship and the incense.

What a great show, I'm going to miss it and I would LIKE a second series but it's not a big deal if it doesn't get one.

Well, they use biological stuff for light and have a ship covered with fungus/foliage, and they’re obviously all hosed up under those bandages. That’s similar to things we’ve seen on the planet. Maybe they were just a religious order once, but they’re part goo now. Even if they’re not tied to that planet, they’re thematically tied to what we’ve seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Danger posted:

Man a show like this does not need more “world building” imo. It shines and is at its most audacious when it’s concerned with the sublime. I’m thinking of the scene with Ursula in the bramble and what she witnesses, something potent with meaning that she can’t quite grasp. When it moves into more standard story beats at the end (while still good) it kinda loses that.

It reminds me of Annihilation, or more so, Authority (which had the same issue n Acceptance when it strained to provide some explanation which just came off as impotent).

It brings up this line from Pynchon for me:
“She looked down a slope, needing to squint for the sunlight, onto a vast sprawl of houses which had grown up all together, like a well-tended crop, from the dull brown earth; and she thought of the time she’d opened a transistor radio to replace a battery and seen her first printed circuit. The ordered swirl of houses and streets, from this high angle, sprang at her now with the same unexpected, astonishing clarity as the circuit card had. Though she knew even less about radios than about Southern Californians, there were to both outward patterns a hieroglyphic sense of concealed meaning, of an intent to communicate. There’d seemed no limit to what the printed circuit could have told her (if she had tried to find out); so in her first minute of San Narciso, a revelation also trembled just past the threshold of her understanding.”

That feeling of a concealed meaning, trembling just beyond the edge of your understanding. Something vital is being communicated by the fauna that we are incapable of grasping.

I’m sure it’s not the first place these ideas appeared, but I played a lot of Alpha Centauri as a kid, and Levi and the white flowers working alongside multiple species really remind me of planetary consciousness.

The presentation of humans as an invasive species is superlatively well done. That colony creature/plant that reproduces by mimicking another species and then exploding seemingly getting fried by the experience of replicating a human and trying to keep living as a human rather than following its usual course is really haunting. It reminds me of the bear in Annihilation that absorbs language and the existential fear of death from a human and responded by weeping and screaming for help while still trying to kill and eat the other humans. And of course Kamen infects that psychic koala with selfishness and self-loathing while also throwing it out of balance by introducing way more meat into its diet.

Calling it sublime is exactly right. Is it an ecosystem or something more? Is Levi in touch with some fundamental aspect of the planet or just a new form of life? Are the biological Levis another instance of human presence altering the world or an expression of the planet having some kind of will or purpose to which it puts Levi? It’s great stuff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Well, they use biological stuff for light and have a ship covered with fungus/foliage, and they’re obviously all hosed up under those bandages. That’s similar to things we’ve seen on the planet. Maybe they were just a religious order once, but they’re part goo now. Even if they’re not tied to that planet, they’re thematically tied to what we’ve seen.

They do?? I somehow missed all of that, I thought only Kris was covered in that and the catholic ship was fine

Thinking about the show the way they do worldbuilding reminds me of China Meiville - it's just layered through it organically with loads of mentions of little things we don't see but help to keep the world feeling alive. Really well done.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Taear posted:

They do?? I somehow missed all of that, I thought only Kris was covered in that and the catholic ship was fine

Thinking about the show the way they do worldbuilding reminds me of China Meiville - it's just layered through it organically with loads of mentions of little things we don't see but help to keep the world feeling alive. Really well done.

They use a big flower for light and have vines growing inside their ship. The stuff under their bandages might be plant matter as well—it’s definitely not only flesh. The skeleton is pristine, though.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Scavenger's Reign ending

To me it looked like the front of the ship wasn't gold but that stuff that turned Levi into what they are.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

On one hand I really liked the Shoko episode in Adventure Time but on the other I was hoping that the episode where her ghost first showed up wouldn't be explained because that was genuinely unsettling for me when I first saw it. Though I guess I shouldn't have expected any different.

Also was expecting way more Flame Princess episodes from how people were talking the arc up but I suppose when these episodes were coming out it seemed a lot longer.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

yeah i didn't really like what they did with shoko either. was just sort of whatever, there are like 10 characters of her type in the show, didn't need a backstory for one of the few creepy things in adventure time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's been a few days but I'm still processing the "Time Adventure" song from the finale. I only heard it the once but it's still stuck in my head very vividly, and that doesn't happen too often. It's weird too, because despite my expectations/assumptions, Adventure Time isn't really a "songs" show, not in the way (say) Steven Universe or MLP are. Music really isn't that big a part of it, except inasmuch as it's this atmospheric weird atonal stuff that you hear in every title card. Yeah there are Marceline's songs, but they aren't really what I'd call that tuneful or lyrically showy or anything; they're very much "vibes" songs. So that final piece of uncut Rebecca Sugar sure does hit.

Side note, I think maybe the funniest moment of the whole show—and/or maybe the most :tviv:—is in the S9 finale when Finn chases down Fern from the ziggurat, after having just selected "Weed Whacker" on his arm menu, and the first sign of Finn's approach is the bbbzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZ approaching from offscreen. YOU DONKED UP :lmao:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

Also was expecting way more Flame Princess episodes from how people were talking the arc up but I suppose when these episodes were coming out it seemed a lot longer.

Yea the hosed up way cartoon network released stuff makes it feel SUPER different when you binge it.
The same applies to Steven Universe - for people who watched it when it was coming out Jasper was super important but for a binger she was gone and done pretty quick really.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Taear posted:

Yea the hosed up way cartoon network released stuff makes it feel SUPER different when you binge it.

That's one benefit of not watching long shows until they're finished, like I got to watch all of Venture Brothers in a couple weeks instead of waiting for years between seasons.

I have a vague recollection of them getting up to a certain specific point in the Namek saga of DBZ and then suddenly starting over a couple times.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

That's one benefit of not watching long shows until they're finished, like I got to watch all of Venture Brothers in a couple weeks instead of waiting for years between seasons.

I have a vague recollection of them getting up to a certain specific point in the Namek saga of DBZ and then suddenly starting over a couple times.

It's kinda hard to say if it's good or not I feel.
Re-watching DS9 binging instead of "live" made the occupation of the station feel very short and simple but my god at the time it felt like it went on for AGES. And I do think that's what the writers intended as well.

Whereas I do feel like the Steven Universe writers are doing the show all together, episode by episode, and for them "it goes by quite fast, this isn't as important as the viewers are making it out to be" is how they'd be seeing it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Taear posted:

It's kinda hard to say if it's good or not I feel.
Re-watching DS9 binging instead of "live" made the occupation of the station feel very short and simple but my god at the time it felt like it went on for AGES. And I do think that's what the writers intended as well.

Yeah, it can be a neat tool for immersion but I think it walks a tight line regarding tedium. I have not seen ST at all but I had a similar experience with the Endless Eight from Haruhi Suzumiya as a kid.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I like being along for the ride, but it's nice stuff works on its own way works when binged too. Feel like I remember and get more from shows in general from the standard release, but there are definitely exceptions where I bank up episodes to watch all at once.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

FireWorksWell posted:

They restarted DBZ at least 4 times - IIRC they would get up to right before or right after Captain Ginyu was defeated and then start it from episode 1. For whatever reason (licensing? redubbing?) the Frieza stuff was the biggest bottleneck but after that they generally only had to do one rerun before the next batch of episodes would be ready by the time the on air schedule caught up.

I don't have the interest or patience to go back and binge watch DBZ but yeah it must be a very different experience compared to how I consumed it as a kid. Feels like remembering the dark ages to think about a time where you had to wait a year or more to see a new episode of a show, and lord help you if you missed it when it aired.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Could be a convergent evolution thing - the space Catholics come from an entirely different planet (in a different system) that developed similarly to Vesta, and now look they've found validation of their god/religion in space. Imagine what kind of poo poo could go wrong from there.

One minor detail that I noticed in the finale, which was fairly obvious but a nice touch - Ursula wearing Sam's old clothes/uniform. :unsmith:.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 11, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I like being along for the ride, but it's nice stuff works on its own way works when binged too. Feel like I remember and get more from shows in general from the standard release, but there are definitely exceptions where I bank up episodes to watch all at once.

I think it just makes sense that a TV show watched over a long period of time is going to end up meaning more to you and being more memorable because that's how memory works. You repeatedly go back to the same characters week after week, installing them into your long term memory. When you watch 10 episodes over a couple of days, you just aren't going to remember anywhere near as many details or emotions because those moments while doing something else when you turn the story over in your head never happen. You also never get the feeling of going away and coming back, it just happens in a kind of blur and you remember the high points and know if you liked it but the details don't get written down and you don't think about it very much afterwards.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Re: the end of Scavengers Reign The outside of the ship has gold filigree in a plant theme. One small plant can be seen growing from a seam in the floor and the skeleton is surrounded by normal looking plants. The interior of the escape shuttle is covered in alien plants. The bandaged people are carrying a light that looks like it's styled after a plant. The baby plant robot reaches for it. I think they are plant worshipping space cultists who just found a new Jesus.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tree-hugging space catholics? Well poo poo.

I finally finished up Blue Eye Samurai as well. It gets a fair bit more anime when Mizu raids Fowler's castle, but a lot of that sequence was so fun, especially loved Mizu falling through the floor to the kitchen, splashing her face with water, and running up to try again, maintaining the third perspective of the sequence. Also a fair bit more actual sex getting sprinkled in as they deal with shittier higher officials, still all tastefully done though. The build up to the finale and the result of it all, so good. Was not expecting the season 2 teaser to take Mizu to london though, if they do it as well as they did this first season it could still be really fun.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I don’t know what kind of ending I’d get with scavengers but it was a lot less bleak than I imagined.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Data Graham posted:

It's been a few days but I'm still processing the "Time Adventure" song from the finale. I only heard it the once but it's still stuck in my head very vividly, and that doesn't happen too often. It's weird too, because despite my expectations/assumptions, Adventure Time isn't really a "songs" show, not in the way (say) Steven Universe or MLP are. Music really isn't that big a part of it, except inasmuch as it's this atmospheric weird atonal stuff that you hear in every title card. Yeah there are Marceline's songs, but they aren't really what I'd call that tuneful or lyrically showy or anything; they're very much "vibes" songs. So that final piece of uncut Rebecca Sugar sure does hit.

Yeah its a fantastic song. Theres a video of her performing it at comic-con as Jake's voice actor cries in the background. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr53S9vIbCE

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Anime Herald published an interview with Bryan Lee O'Malley and BenDavid Grabinski, the series screen writer, talking about the Scott Pilgrim anime since it premiers next week

https://www.animeherald.com/interview/scott-pilgrim-creator-bryan-lee-omalley-plus-bendavid-grabinsky-talk-with-anime-herald/

Really cool to see how every actor pretty much said "gently caress yes" to coming back :3:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 12, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blue eyed samurai finale: i don't know much about tokugawa-era architecture but i find it hard to believe that a single dropped candle could set the entire imperial city aflame. even for rule of dramatics it seemed a little silly. i kept thinking back to uncharted 3's ending where a single bullet ricochet dominoes into a whole civilization collapsing

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oxxidation posted:

blue eyed samurai finale: i don't know much about tokugawa-era architecture but i find it hard to believe that a single dropped candle could set the entire imperial city aflame. even for rule of dramatics it seemed a little silly. i kept thinking back to uncharted 3's ending where a single bullet ricochet dominoes into a whole civilization collapsing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_Meireki

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

good lord

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

There seem to be more clever posters here than so I'll throw my largest annoyance about the Blue Eye Samurai finale The absolute uselessness of the defenders for the Shogunate. Firearms weren't unheard of in Tokugawa/Edo period Japan as far as I'm aware, the soldiers acting like bunch of doofuses against them kinda annoyed me. I know the show was supposed to be a work of fiction partially by someone who's actively seeking to comment on mixed heritage and racism, but how the battle went left me wanting and honestly slightly angry. Sure we don't get any/all of the background, the warlord's army just marching into Edo suggests the Shogunate was caught pants in their ankles/a betrayal like that was just unthinkable or something. Maybe the scenes had to happen fast for pacing, but come on, give them boys some reasonable depiction of resistance, I don't believe the defenders would have acted like that/been that ineffective in reality. I am not arguing some stupid gun vs. sword thing here (....except maybe inside with the lords and the Shogun...)

I did enjoy the show but that part about the finale left me with a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth. It's not like the show was aiming for realism but eh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dessel posted:

There seem to be more clever posters here than so I'll throw my largest annoyance about the Blue Eye Samurai finale The absolute uselessness of the defenders for the Shogunate. Firearms weren't unheard of in Tokugawa/Edo period Japan as far as I'm aware, the soldiers acting like bunch of doofuses against them kinda annoyed me. I know the show was supposed to be a work of fiction partially by someone who's actively seeking to comment on mixed heritage and racism, but how the battle went left me wanting and honestly slightly angry. Sure we don't get any/all of the background, the warlord's army just marching into Edo suggests the Shogunate was caught pants in their ankles/a betrayal like that was just unthinkable or something. Maybe the scenes had to happen fast for pacing, but come on, give them boys some reasonable depiction of resistance, I don't believe the defenders would have acted like that/been that ineffective in reality. I am not arguing some stupid gun vs. sword thing here (....except maybe inside with the lords and the Shogun...)

I did enjoy the show but that part about the finale left me with a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth. It's not like the show was aiming for realism but eh.

the final battle did seem kind of perfunctory to focus on the individual character clashes, though in general the show seems to be operating in an alternate history where firearms were just wholesale destroyed after japan closed its borders and institutional knowledge of them disappeared. they can barely work out the physics of an arrow versus a bullet until they've been perforated by the latter

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Oxxidation posted:

the final battle did seem kind of perfunctory to focus on the individual character clashes, though in general the show seems to be operating in an alternate history where firearms were just wholesale destroyed after japan closed its borders and institutional knowledge of them disappeared. they can barely work out the physics of an arrow versus a bullet until they've been perforated by the latter

Meanwhile, IRL, someone in said country, in spite of a well-regulated firearms system, just flat-out built a gun at home and did the best and most successful political assassination in history.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Saving the last episode of Blue Eye Samurai for later this week, but just wanted to chime in & say that “The Ronin and The Bride” episode, especially(!!!) the kabuki parts, was mesmerizing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't have the interest or patience to go back and binge watch DBZ

They made dragonball Kai, which I'd a remaster of Z in under 100 episodes. Watch that if you want to go down that road. If you want filler jokes there is DB abridged

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just finished the last three eps of scavenger reign, I am astonished at the screenwriter not wanting to make the usual "here is the mystery explained" ending (for good reasons) for this kind of series as they usually do. Also it managed to achieve its aim without the usual character death for extra punch. I would love to see the team working together on another project, I concur with other goons that a S2 is unnecessary as it told its full story without leaving cliffhangers.

Shame that it's impossible to see scavengers reign outside the us without resorting to :filez: and also unlikely to get a bluray release.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I reckon the Scavenger's Reign people absolutely want to do a second season in this setting.

Also that ending was totally a cliffhanger, just one of those low key "here is a new threat" type of ones.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I feel like I've gotten mixed signals on how successful Scavengers Reign has been. I haven't seen a lot of buzz, but apparently it was in the top 3 shows viewed on Max?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i've only seen the first 3 or 4, don't remember. the world is cool for sure but i haven't caught on to any of the characters. does that aspect get more interesting?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Scavenger's Reign - holy gently caress, what a ride. I can't remember the last time I watched a show like this. If ever.

And have to say it again - Professor X Panda was just terrifying. You'll have a scene where you think you're starting to understand it, then you realise that, no, you have no idea what's going in its head. But it never felt inconsistent in how it acted. Hungry, angry, hateful, tender.

Just wow to the whole thing.

I spent a few years growing up on a property surrounded by tropical forest in Australia's north and no other show has ever captured the creeping invasiveness of living somewhere where everything is alive and trying to rub itself against you or merge itself with everything you own and just won't loving stop.

The sort of place where, if you don't make sure your socks are dry they'll sprout moss before you can even wash them and you need to shake out your shoes and clothes before you put them on because there's a fair chance something crawled into them while your back was turned.

drat near had flaskbacks watching the show, which is probably a reason why it resonated so strongly with me.

One question - the one guy who woke up from cryosleep and escaped the ship, what happened to him?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

pixaal posted:

They made dragonball Kai, which I'd a remaster of Z in under 100 episodes. Watch that if you want to go down that road. If you want filler jokes there is DB abridged

And if you want meta filler jokes but even faster, Kai Abridged.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One question - the one guy who woke up from cryosleep and escaped the ship, what happened to him?

The blond guy? Hypnotoad killed him.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Warbird posted:

And if you want meta filler jokes but even faster, Kai Abridged.

Those were my favorite tfs videos (Frieza throwing his destructo disk and then instantly getting bisected by it got me every time) and I'm bummed we aren't getting Buu Saga from them for this reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I Am Fowl posted:

The blond guy? Hypnotoad killed him.

Ah poo poo, yeah he did. It was so quick and brutal, and so much happened right after, I forgot.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I feel like I've gotten mixed signals on how successful Scavengers Reign has been. I haven't seen a lot of buzz, but apparently it was in the top 3 shows viewed on Max?

It's a rapidly growing fishhypnotoad in a very small pond. We all hope it can leap into some bigger ponds.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FireWorksWell posted:

Those were my favorite tfs videos (Frieza throwing his destructo disk and then instantly getting bisected by it got me every time) and I'm bummed we aren't getting Buu Saga from them for this reason.

They did a compilation video of a bunch of one-shot scenes for most of the big Buu Saga moments, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpszGl2cl_k&t=63s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at the same time it demonstrates why a buu abridged series wouldn't have been a great idea, because half those scenes are basically the originals with a TFS redub and occasional running gag. so much of the buu arc is already comical that it'd be difficult to punch up