Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Age of Calamity has ~2h20m of cutscenes so you could arguably turn that into a movie. It’s also the strongest example of a plot being centered on Zelda with Link as her sidekick which is honestly the best bet for a movie plot imo

Not saying they should specifically adapt AoC into a movie but the general framework is there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I don't think they'll adapt a specific game; OOT for example would be really tough to do in one movie without shortchanging either the child or adult timelines. And Zelda is like the ideal videogame franchise for an adaptation because the entire series is loosely adapting similar concepts onto different frameworks. It'll probably be a "new" story that follows the familiar beats with familiar aesthetic trappings because that's what the franchise has done over and over to great success.

If they hew closest to any specific games I think they'll draw heavily from the BotW/TotK worlds since those are both the most recent and the highest selling games by a pretty significant margin.

It's definitely gonna be this, not an adaptation of a specific Zelda game so much as a movie that hits the generally accepted bullet-points of "things that are universally recognizable parts of the Zelda IP." Like there will be a princess and Link will go on some Hero's Journey and collect the Infinity Stones pieces of the Triforce and takes up the Master Sword to confront Thanos Ganon, who might transform into a big boar-monster for the final fight. There might be time travel because that shows up in a lot of Zelda games, but it's not gonna have Midna or Sidon or the Great Sea or anything super-specific to any particular Zelda game. There might be some background nods like Majora's Mask hanging on a wall or something.

It will probably be a bit more serious in tone than the Mario movie, because that franchise was always pretty surreal and whimsical while Zelda has a more classical adventure vibe, though there might be a little bit of slapstick. Maybe some "fun" banter/romantic chemistry between Link and Zelda. It'll probably be an okay PG fantasy adventure movie, probably closest in general "vibe" to a live-action version of How to Train Your Dragon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zimbomonkey posted:

Because presumably the Legend of Zelda movie that Nintendo recently announced is in production will require some sort of script.

https://twitter.com/StoliarSteve/status/1713224941393613107

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Bumbling in to ask some BOTW questions… assuming that’s no biggie.

I’m coming back to the game after a long break. I beat the water and air Divine Beast dungeons and uncovered the whole map, got the master sword, etc etc so I’m pretty decently far into the game.

My issue is that I’ve always sucked at the combat and my current stock of weapons kind of sucks, so I keep getting stuck on the desert Divine Beast boss. So my questions are:

1) Is there a place I can go to re-turorialize myself on the whole combat system, kinda like the undying guy in Sekiro?
2) Is there a good place to farm or buy pretty decent swords and bows? There’s so much trash gear in the game.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

bear named tators posted:

1) Is there a place I can go to re-turorialize myself on the whole combat system, kinda like the undying guy in Sekiro?
2) Is there a good place to farm or buy pretty decent swords and bows? There’s so much trash gear in the game.
The answer to both of these questions is Lynels.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bear named tators posted:

Bumbling in to ask some BOTW questions… assuming that’s no biggie.

I’m coming back to the game after a long break. I beat the water and air Divine Beast dungeons and uncovered the whole map, got the master sword, etc etc so I’m pretty decently far into the game.

My issue is that I’ve always sucked at the combat and my current stock of weapons kind of sucks, so I keep getting stuck on the desert Divine Beast boss. So my questions are:

on top of woodland tower there’s a royal claymore. It respawns every blood moon

If you’ve been to hyrule castle, it’s absolutely littered with good weapons that respawn every blood moon.

Edit: also lynels, although if you’re rusty maybe stock up on some royal weapons before moving up to fighting lynels

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 11, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Also the Kakariko shrine is a combat techniques training one.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Runcible Cat posted:

Also the Kakariko shrine is a combat techniques training one.

One of my significant annoyances of BotW was that you could only do that shrine once per playthrough.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

maltesh posted:

One of my significant annoyances of BotW was that you could only do that shrine once per playthrough.

Dammit I never realised that.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

maltesh posted:

fuk

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Slugworth posted:

The answer to both of these questions is Lynels.

Lynels feel like the worst idea for a tutorial. One thing I'll say after playing ToTK is that I really undervalued Flurry Rush in BoTW, getting that off is a massive boon for combat. Practice dodging backwards and side to side with the Bokoblins as they really telegraph their attacks.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Not So Fast posted:

Lynels feel like the worst idea for a tutorial. One thing I'll say after playing ToTK is that I really undervalued Flurry Rush in BoTW, getting that off is a massive boon for combat. Practice dodging backwards and side to side with the Bokoblins as they really telegraph their attacks.
I honestly feel like the Lynels are the most telegraphed attacks. Obviously the stakes are a bit higher if you mistime something vs with a bokoblin, but I really think they're the easiest enemies to read.

Except for the ones in BotW with the gigantic hammer. For some reason I could never figure them out.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Also keep in mind that Thunderblight Ganon is widely regarded as the hardest of the four Blights, you’re far from the only one getting stuck there

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Agreed.

When I get back to BOTW, I'll finish up the Champions Ballad and I admit I'm feeling a little intimidated at the thought of confronting Thunderblight again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

God, I hate Thunderblight. At least you can tank up on stat boosts and wear a rubber suit, but I still think it's unfun mechanically even when you're not dying in 30 seconds.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thunderblight is the reason I never finished Master Mode tbh

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Cheesus posted:

Agreed.

When I get back to BOTW, I'll finish up the Champions Ballad and I admit I'm feeling a little intimidated at the thought of confronting Thunderblight again.

Four words.

"Urbosa's Fury is Ready."

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wow, I just finally caught up on the thread after getting the game and bookmarking this thread on launch day. I spent 155 hours in BOTW before finishing it, and in TOTK I've already sunk 190 hours into the game. It's a really loving good game. Currently I've got 3 temples done, got the master sword, fully lit up the depths, and am tooling around looking for quests and encounters and whatever else catches my ADHD.

For some content, earlier today I had The. Worst. traveling korok encounter yet. It was the one atop Mount Falora, that you have to take across the Taobab Grasslands. Long story short, I spent far and away too much time trying to get that drat korok up that drat cliff wall. When I finally succeeded in doing so, I was so frustrated, that I took out a bunch of time bombs, intending on exploding the pair after the reunion. Unfortunately for me, I chose to do this before actually uniting the pair. I think I was planning on fusing everything together, delivering the korok, then talking to them while the bombs were ticking down. So, I pull out the bombs, and go to start fusing them all together, when a fire chuchu I hadn't noticed just sidles on up. Tulin pops it, it set off all of the bombs, and the korok goes sailing halfway back across the loving grasslands. Right into the spawn zone of a gloomhands. If that had happened first, I'd have just left him to his fate, but by that point, I'd be more ashamed if I didn't get the loving seeds from them.

In that same general area, there's a quest I found today, where you come across this woman sweeping up a huge garbage pit. Am I not remembering right, or was that the spot from BOTW where that one chef-wannabee was, who really sucked at cooking, and you had to help her with her recipes?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol you got owned

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

neogeo0823 posted:

In that same general area, there's a quest I found today, where you come across this woman sweeping up a huge garbage pit. Am I not remembering right, or was that the spot from BOTW where that one chef-wannabee was, who really sucked at cooking, and you had to help her with her recipes?

That is indeed the same spot.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

For some content, earlier today I had The. Worst. traveling korok encounter yet. It was the one atop Mount Falora, that you have to take across the Taobab Grasslands. Long story short, I spent far and away too much time trying to get that drat korok up that drat cliff wall. When I finally succeeded in doing so, I was so frustrated, that I took out a bunch of time bombs, intending on exploding the pair after the reunion. Unfortunately for me, I chose to do this before actually uniting the pair. I think I was planning on fusing everything together, delivering the korok, then talking to them while the bombs were ticking down. So, I pull out the bombs, and go to start fusing them all together, when a fire chuchu I hadn't noticed just sidles on up. Tulin pops it, it set off all of the bombs, and the korok goes sailing halfway back across the loving grasslands. Right into the spawn zone of a gloomhands. If that had happened first, I'd have just left him to his fate, but by that point, I'd be more ashamed if I didn't get the loving seeds from them.

fukkin' lol

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Someone in this thread called ToTK "ADHD, The Game", and it is very much that for me.

I turned the game off after the embarrassment of The Korok Fiasco, but the next time I turned it back on, I decided to go fight the thunder gleeok in the coliseum near that one stable. I had never fought a gleeok before, but read a bunch of poo poo about how to properly fight them beforehand. So I prepare for a hell of a fight, cook a bunch of good food, scout the area out, climb to the top and paraglide down to get the drop on it. I expected to get my rear end handed to me, but instead I clowned that loving gleeok like I've been trouncing them since day 1. I went through like 9 arrows and eyeballs, and 2 ~50atk spears. I didn't even get hit.

That's basically the only two speeds I have in this game; Pants-on-head, clown shoes retarded, and stone cold loving killer. Link may as well be named Saitama in my hands, or something.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Gleeoks are such a weird creature for me.

I avoided the hell out of them the entire game. I tried fighting the one in the snowfields when you needed to get Zelda's horse for the newspaper quest and had to run away with my tail between my legs. Rest of the game I would give them a wide berth.

It was when I was getting ready to fight Ganon and I decided I ought to collect the remaining Sages Wills, a number of which were locked behind King Gleeoks fights. It was actually harder to get to the arena (I never bothered building a hoverbike for most of the game) and when I got there I just... Eyeballed them to death and smacked them with my super powerful weapons. Took less than two minutes with each fight.

Once I bagged my first gleeoks I went and killed the rest of them in short order. Entire time I was afraid of them, but Lynels still reign supreme as minibosses (also those gloom hands once they get within range of Link).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's how Gleeoks were for me too, I just saved fighting them for way too long for them to be a challenge. Probably Lynels too, but fighting a couple midgame scarred me enough that I never went back to them :ohdear:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you want a weird challenge, go fight a bear. They can be tough as poo poo, especially at lower levels earlier on.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Donkringel posted:

Gleeoks are such a weird creature for me.

I avoided the hell out of them the entire game. I tried fighting the one in the snowfields when you needed to get Zelda's horse for the newspaper quest and had to run away with my tail between my legs. Rest of the game I would give them a wide berth.

It was when I was getting ready to fight Ganon and I decided I ought to collect the remaining Sages Wills, a number of which were locked behind King Gleeoks fights. It was actually harder to get to the arena (I never bothered building a hoverbike for most of the game) and when I got there I just... Eyeballed them to death and smacked them with my super powerful weapons. Took less than two minutes with each fight.

Once I bagged my first gleeoks I went and killed the rest of them in short order. Entire time I was afraid of them, but Lynels still reign supreme as minibosses (also those gloom hands once they get within range of Link).

yeah that first ice gleeok took my several tries at a low level, also cause somehow i forgot about eyeball arrows and just tried to aim myself.

with those arrows they're almost too easy, if you have hefty weapons that can deal good damage.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just finished the 5th temple, got 104 shrines, think I'm gonna go beat the game.

I feel conflicted about this game. On the one hand it's very much a step above Breath of the Wild in a lot of ways. There's so much more to do, the quests and temples are so much more fleshed out, the world is full of little handcrafted setpieces that I definitely wanted more of in BotW.

But it does hit the same issue BotW did, which is that at a certain point, well before I've completed the game, I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer in terms of gameplay. It takes longer to reach that content plateau for sure. But once you're there, that plateau is even wider because of how much bigger the game is. There's so much more to do that's all kind of around the same level of engagement, and the same level of interaction with the world. I think the game's openness works against it in that regard, and the huge map size hits diminishing returns as you explore it. The Sky Islands and Depths are each cool and add to the game, but I'm not sure they add enough to fill a full layer of the world map, considering how much of what they offer is even more samey than what you find on the surface.

I feel like for a very long time I've been at the point where every sky island is the same, half the caves I find are the same, the game's puzzles (outside of shrines) are around an equal level of "really basic mechanical interaction because everything has to fit into the same physics system" (which is both a pro and a con)". And half the shrines are tutorial puzzles, like eighty hours in I find one where the solution is "use fire to melt ice".

The non-linear format also completely works against the storytelling. A lot of the cutscenes are focused on exposition rather than character moments, so you have several cut scenes focused on hinting or outright explaining the exact same thing. Which makes them really dull and redundant if you view them all which you do simply by following the game's two main quests. I.e. "This was the imprisoning war where we couldn't defeat the demon king. We could only imprison him. Rauru did something heroic that day" (repeat 5-6x, including 4 of the exact same cutscene). "Okay you're ready to learn what Rauru did... He imprisoned the Demon King."

I dunno, I like this game a lot but feel torn on where I land. I think the series is in this awkward place where Breath of the Wild is the better game just by virtue of being leaner and more focused (which is a WILD thing to say about BotW), but Tears of the Kingdom has enough advancements that I can't go back to BotW.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 14, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why didn't you just go to the ending once you reach that plateau? Neither BotE or TotK are designed for you to do everything, they very lightly discourage it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cartoon Man posted:

If you want a weird challenge, go fight a bear. They can be tough as poo poo, especially at lower levels earlier on.

Just ride them.
You monster.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Accidentally mounting a bear and realizing that was a thing you can do was a solid “this game fuckin rules” moment in botw

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Why didn't you just go to the ending once you reach that plateau? Neither BotE or TotK are designed for you to do everything, they very lightly discourage it.

Well I wanted to do the main plot stuff first and the game does a really good job of leaving breadcrumbs and enticing landmarks to keep grabbing my attention... And now and then I do still find something rewarding. Like the Depths is so cool! And after a while you realize it's all pretty much the same. But yeah I should have beelined the temples and tears so I could just end the game when I was ready.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Accidentally mounting a bear and realizing that was a thing you can do was a solid “this game fuckin rules” moment in botw

SMH at everyone getting excited about Baldur's Gate 3 like it's a whole new thing

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/11/random-new-college-course-is-grading-students-on-their-zelda-totk-engineering-skills

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I love that one stable quest where the old guy is just tickled pink by you riding up on a variety of different animals :3:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I would love to see more things like the Hatneo village or Gerudo city defense events, and the difficulty increases.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nintendo should really get them a special academic version so they dont have to go farm batteries and ceruleum or whatever

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

nintendo should really get them a special academic version so they dont have to go farm batteries and ceruleum or whatever

That's the homework

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Gotta grind construct drops all night, gonna need to upgrade Zoanaite armor for the mid-term!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://x.com/bre_Neko/status/1725653465740034130?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That's interesting, but I thought there was a 20 or 21-item limit before it capped out?